PDA

View Full Version : Establishing the Run important next week?

Captcoolhand
01-04-2009, 07:32 PM
After watching this Wildcard weekend games, if teams where able to establish a running game and not just Bruce Arians way of thinking. (The passing game)They won.

Just looks at the stats....

Wilcard Winners
Player|ATT|YDS
L. McClain|19|75
W. McGahee|7|62
D. Sproles|23|105
E. James|16|73

Wilcard Losers
Player|ATT|YDS
R. Brown|12|19
R. Williams|4|17
J. Addai|16|44
M. Turner|18|42

Anyone else notice a trend here?

Will the Steelers still be able to win with the Passing Game if we can't get some type of running game going next week?

If the Steelers use the Pass to set up the run, How come we mostly only see run, run, run, punt what seems 80% of the time. :scratch:

:imho:Not being able to establish a running game in the playoffs will not win you games. If we lose because Bruce "Arrogant" Arians dumb ***, He should be fired first thing Monday morning.

Ok, I'm sounding like a broken record here....:D

JensK
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Its very doable to run against Chargers, and we have to. Big Ben is, most likely, going to be a bit rusty and i would rather not have him throwing 70% of the time. Run it down their throath to setup the pass. Gotta keep their offence off the field aswell.

SteelerSteve
01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I dont see why its so hard for the alleged offensive coordinator to call a balanced game. I think that we have the potential to be a good offense, but not with how predictable the playcalling is. Not when the Defense knows what the next play is going to be before its even called lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Funny if you look back at the Super Bowl XL run the Steelers passed to gain the leads early in games and then controlled the clock with the running game......Running the game is important but scoring points and getting the lead is most important.....I really don't care if the Steelers pass or run at this point just as they put points on the board.....The Steelers have been inconsistent with the pass and the run on offense all season......What BA needs to do is not be so damn predictable and actually put his players on offense in situations to succeed with his schemes......

Iron City South
01-04-2009, 07:38 PM
As I said in a number of threads ....

Our post season chances will only go as far as our O-line will take us.

yinzer
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
we can fill this thread with 506 pages of what we "should" do but it comes down to what arians actually does. :banging:

BlitzburghNation
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Like i've said before and firmly believe,,,,,,if "Big Ben doesn't turn the ball over,we win"

Far as establishing the run,,,,,,of-course we need to, but we haven't really done it all year long and won 12 games,,,,,,So with that said,don't care how we win as long as we win :bigthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Like i've said before and firmly believe,,,,,,if "Big Ben doesn't turn the ball over,we win"

Far as establishing the run,,,,,,of-course we need to, but we haven't really done it all year long and won 12 games,,,,,,So with that said,don't care how we win as long as we win :bigthumb:

That needs to be the MO for this Steelers team and especially Ben and the offense. The formula to win is simple. Let the defense win you the game and tell Ben and the offense DONT SCREW IT UP!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
The eagles showed today, pretty much like they have all year long since they don't have any real running game that you can use the short passing game as a running game and effectively move the ball. Arians needs to realize this and not just sit there and try and pound Parker all afternoon. If he has a brain anywhere other then his rear end he'll realize this and not just beat our heads against the wall because you "have to be able to run" to win. If we are successful running then so be it, but let's not be afraid to use the alternatives to move the ball.

I Steel Believe
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Mentioned this in another thread, but the conditions will probably affect the effectiveness of both teams pair of "quick backs".
Play action passing is one thing I think they "want" to do, and I think that's why they try to establish the run first. When they can't, they're left with predictable passing scenarios.
The 2005 team did indeed pass to set up the run in postseason. But the 2005 team had a good O-line and a pretty good RB duo in Bettis/FWP. The current O-line is terrible, but I'd like to see a guy like Gary Russell come in and pound out some good yards in this game.

jpele
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
I believe we ran on them last time we played. What killed us was penalties and turnovers. Take care of the football and cut out the stupid penalty's .

Stlrs4Life
01-04-2009, 11:56 PM
If we can't run the ball Sunday, we will not win the game.

popstaala
01-05-2009, 12:11 AM
i think the bolts should be the team worrying about the running game... they cant do a damn thing without it.... ben proved us that we can win we absolutely no running game and just enough plays to put points on the board

NYCsteelersfan
01-05-2009, 01:11 AM
It wasn't established through 16 games prior so trying to establish it in our first playoff game might just hurt more than help at this point. The worst thing that can possibly happen is attempting to rush with Parker on 1st and 2nd down and putting Roethlisberger in 3rd and 7 or more as a reult of Parker not gaining more than 1.5 yards per carry which is what he is good for without the big run that no longer happens when we need it (for the record, I hope Parker makes me eat my words).

At this point, I honestly hope we just come out shooting. Forget 70% of the plays being pass, take it even further. Just don't throw interceptions.

SteelFanInIL
01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
i think the bolts should be the team worrying about the running game... they cant do a damn thing without it.... ben proved us that we can win we absolutely no running game and just enough plays to put points on the board

:clap::clap::clap:
I'm a big believer in the run (as are most of you...i think) but we have proven we can win without it. I'd love to see a big yardage day from either one of our HB's but if it's not there it's not the end of the world. Our D will keep us in as they have done all season.:tt02::tt02::tt02:

Steelersfan
01-05-2009, 01:26 PM

You could be right. I still think that even if they can't run the ball they can still win if they don't turn it over and stay within one score. We've seen it a few times this year where they have been able to march down the field and score when they HAD to open the offense up.
I'd rather it didn't come to that......lol......but if it does I have faith they can still win it.

ARKIESTEEL
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
If I had it my way we would go play action pass deep the very first play of the game just to see what happens!!

steelers4life66
01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
The eagles showed today, pretty much like they have all year long since they don't have any real running game that you can use the short passing game as a running game and effectively move the ball. Arians needs to realize this and not just sit there and try and pound Parker all afternoon. If he has a brain anywhere other then his rear end he'll realize this and not just beat our heads against the wall because you "have to be able to run" to win. If we are successful running then so be it, but let's not be afraid to use the alternatives to move the ball.No one on that team is better at getting yards in that situation than Moore. Hope B A knows it too.:2cents:

I Steel Believe
01-06-2009, 01:05 AM

On the other hand, we haven't really been able to run the ball all year. We can win this game if we have to pass more. But I have a feeling you're thinking the same thing I am, that considering Ben's situation, it'd be nice to not have to pass too much this sunday.

popstaala
01-06-2009, 01:13 AM
here is my gameplan against the bolts.. we run on first quarter then pass all day.... mainly short pass... quick slants to holmes and hooks to hines ward or miller... hit moore or parker on screen more.... and when their defense play press coverage we hit them deep... their defense will fall apart and run out of gas... then we can hit them in the mouth with a fresh running game... and big PLUS on no huddle offense... our defense will do what they do best.. kill,kill,kill...lol

I Steel Believe
01-06-2009, 01:38 AM
That works for me.
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a play action deep pass on the first play of the game. I definitely like that idea.

My plan would be this...
Several screen passes early on, along with those quick 3 step drop slants, etc. This will protect Ben and get him some confidence and rhythm. This also may open up the running game for us.
Then get Parker/Moore involved in the running game, using both so that they stay fresh.
Then start occasionally going deep to Washington (or Holmes) but Holmes/Ward will face SD's top 2 CBs, Washington can beat their #3 DB. Plus he will have the height advantage.

In the 2nd half, if things are going as planned, we are up by about 10. The Steelers were the toughest defense in the 3rd quarter this season so I see the lead holding up into the 4th qtr.
Now is when I'd like to see Gary Russell used for some grind-it-out yardage. This guy, if used right, can be effective.
:tt02:

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Establishing the run is pretty important. We broke out the power I formation last game out. That was something new to most. It is not anything new to this team. Teams we must face sure don't have much footage on it to study how we run our variations out of it. Maybe we can build off of that. After all it is a whole new season now. Just because we did not run the ball in the regular season does not mean we won't in the play-offs. It's win or go home baby ! I think our boys and thier coaches know what they have to do to carry this thing out. Beat the team you are facing. Then come back and kick the Ravens asses all the way back to Baltimore! We can run on them too! The reason i say that is because i think it will come down to us and the Ravens.We can,and will run the ball in the play-offs!

steelers4life66
01-06-2009, 02:35 AM
Establishing the run is pretty important. We broke out the power I formation last game out. That was something new to most. It is not anything new to this team. Teams we must face sure don't have much footage on it to study how we run our variations out of it. Maybe we can build off of that. After all it is a whole new season now. Just because we did not run the ball in the regular season does not mean we won't in the play-offs. It's win or go home baby ! I think our boys and thier coaches know what they have to do to carry this thing out. Beat the team you are facing. Then come back and kick the Ravens asses all the way back to Baltimore! We can run on them too! The reason i say that is because i think it will come down to us and the Ravens.We can,and will run the ball in the play-offs! Preach it my brother!!!:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cop e:I had a vision, The football gods have spoken unto me. And they said IT WILL be a super bowl year for our beloved Steelers!!!!!! AMEN

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-06-2009, 02:41 AM
God bless you too my "Steel brother". You have to believe!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

steelers4life66
01-06-2009, 02:50 AM
God bless you too my "Steel brother". You have to believe!!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: You don't know how many times I've chanted those very words when we were trying to make a comeback late in the 4th quarter....I BELIEVE..I BELIEVE...I BELIEVE.:yesnod:

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-06-2009, 02:59 AM
Steelers can run the ball at least 190 yards a game. Parker , mewelde , russel ,combined.

steelers4life66
01-06-2009, 03:02 AM
Steelers can run the ball at least 190 yards a game. Parker , mewelde , russel ,combined.
That work for me. As long as we get a run established I don't care how many guys we use.

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-06-2009, 03:25 AM
Oh we can run the ball. We have a chore ahead of us. We will run the ball. They knew since the draft that we can run the ball. NOW is the time to do it. People will open thier eyes then. Practice makes perfect. We practiced all season long ,and now is the time to implement that practice. I hope we save it to run Baltimores asses back to as far away as Cleveland.:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

DIESELMAN
01-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Funny if you look back at the Super Bowl XL run the Steelers passed to gain the leads early in games and then controlled the clock with the running game......Running the game is important but scoring points and getting the lead is most important.....I really don't care if the Steelers pass or run at this point just as they put points on the board.....The Steelers have been inconsistent with the pass and the run on offense all season......What BA needs to do is not be so damn predictable and actually put his players on offense in situations to succeed with his schemes......
Back in 2005 our run game was already established, so we could surprise anyone the way we came out throwing in the playoffs. Like you said, BA needs to be unpredictable, we don't need a dominating run game, or even a 100 yd game but what we do need is the opposing defense to know/think that we are committed to the run. With at least that mindset, it would open up our passing game. A few notes.....

The Steelers entered the playoffs with the worst offense of all playoff teams. They turned the ball over more often and were sacked more times than all entrants, and scored, on average, only one-tenth of a point more than the vanquished Miami Dolphins.

The last time the Steelers played the Chargers, they didnít have Heath Miller or Bryant McFadden, and the Chargers had LaDainian Tomlinson.

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Now 2009 if we come out running ,that could have the same effect,that coming out passing did in 2005. It just might work !

NYCsteelersfan
01-11-2009, 09:52 PM
It wasn't established through 16 games prior so trying to establish it in our first playoff game might just hurt more than help at this point. The worst thing that can possibly happen is attempting to rush with Parker on 1st and 2nd down and putting Roethlisberger in 3rd and 7 or more as a reult of Parker not gaining more than 1.5 yards per carry which is what he is good for without the big run that no longer happens when we need it (for the record, I hope Parker makes me eat my words). At this point, I honestly hope we just come out shooting. Forget 70% of the plays being pass, take it even further. Just don't throw interceptions.

Thanks Parker, I put a little hot sauce on them and they tasted great! Do it again next week.