PDA

View Full Version : Do you pull Roethlisberger if he's not getting it done?

Iron City South
01-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Given the fact that Lefty had some throws last week and made quick decisions, quick throws ,and overall move the offense very well ... Do you pull Ben if he absolutely sucks in the 1st half and goes into the 2nd half looking much the same?

Can ... should .... Leftwich get the call to get'r done if Ben can't?

popstaala
01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
If he turns the ball over more than once... i would

BlitzburghNation
01-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Alright more food for Salad Shooter and now we are all gonna here over & over again how much better Leftwich is than Ben :evilshake:

Whatever it takes for us to win,,,,,,I am behind the coaches decision and if Ben has a game like he did in nashville,"ofcourse you pull him"

beaver688
01-03-2009, 09:34 PM
If he turns the ball over more than once... i would
one and done

popstaala
01-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Whatever it takes for us to win,,,,,,I am behind the coaches decision and if Ben has a game like he did in nashville,"ofcourse you pull him"

:plus1::tt02: end of story

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2009, 09:39 PM
One warning in this thread and it's not directed at you ICS by any means :) but Scalaid6 don't even think of starting anything in this thread, you've been warned way too many times since you signed up here. Everybody gets along so you need to as well, period.

Now to the topic at hand, if Ben is struggling and the game is close I say leave him in. If we are starting to get beat pretty good and we need a spark then maybe it's time to bring in Byron for a series and see how he does but that can be a two edged sword. that's a hard call and how long do you wait to make it before the game might be out of reach.

Steel Trap86
01-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Yes, pull Ben IF he starts turning the ball over. We are due for a playoff win this year and it wont happen if we start turning it over, no matter who we play.

Zachintosh66
01-03-2009, 09:59 PM
one and done

dude, seriously...

Like it or not Ben is the "face" of the franchise and we paid him 100+ million. I GUARANTEE he will not get pulled unless he can't walk off the field. Like it or not... we will live and die by Big Ben.

popstaala
01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
dude, seriously...

Like it or not Ben is the "face" of the franchise and we paid him 100+ million. I GUARANTEE he will not get pulled unless he can't walk off the field. Like it or not... we will live and die by Big Ben.

i hate to say this... please dont try to make it another disagreement... its too many QB thread and i got tired of reading the same **** over and over agian... just point out what you would do... pull him or not?:tt02:

Zachintosh66
01-03-2009, 10:16 PM
sorry... HELL NO! there how was that...

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
i hate to say this... please dont try to make it another disagreement... its too many QB thread and i got tired of reading the same **** over and over agian... just point out what you would do... pull him or not?:tt02:

disagreements are gonna happen here everybody got opinions,and ya know what they say bout that. As for me I don't pull him, he gives us best chance to win. I do not believe that any coach in NFL will pull starting QB in playoff game ,unless he been doing it all year, and if he was chances are he didn't make it to playoffs in first place :2cents:

Steeler Power
01-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I would say hell yes if Ben is having a bad game. He may be our QB, but there is NO tomorrow if we loose. I would hate to see the Steelers not win and we left options on the bench just because Ben is the QB. The Steelers need to figure that out. It is still a business. IMO

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2009, 10:43 PM
There is only one reason I think Ben should be pulled and that is if he showing any lingering effects from his concussion........If not then you have to ride him as the starter in the play-offs....He is the franchise QB and you don't pull your franchise QB in a play-off game.....

livingthrudying
01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
actully benching ben would be the best thing for him. Just like with McNabb, it forced him to snap out of it and elevate his play. Now keep in mind how ben plays when he is behind? he tends to light it up when he has a wake up call. Benching him could be the ultimate wake up call. This is no different than anyone at their job, if you aren't able to get it done someone else gets a chance.

Ben needs to be more consistent and he has been a great QB since he became our starter except for the bad year after the wreck. Well he has had a similar year this year, the only difference is that the defense has saved us. SAy waht you want abouthim winning games but i can only count 1 or 2 games that he single handedly won for us this season. Just cause you make a 4th quarter drive (after stinking the place up for 55 mins) does not make you a game winner, it means you got lucky at the very end and your defense busted *** to keep you in the game within 1 TD. With even a slightly less defense we would have been a sub .500 team . Imagine any of those gmaes this season if our D had given up just one more touchdown.

I love Ben i wear my #7 jersey with pride but i promise you the team means more to me and should to everyone else. Ben is not a god he is a very good QB having a bad season and at the end of the say and at the end of his career we will still be rooting for the steelers long after Ben is gone.

YOu do whats best for the team always!!

popstaala
01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
There is only one reason I think Ben should be pulled and that is if he showing any lingering effects from his concussion........If not then you have to ride him as the starter in the play-offs....He is the franchise QB and you don't pull your franchise QB in a play-off game.....

if a WR drops the ball all day... I would pull him out.... if a running back fumbles the ball all day... i would pull him out... if a conerback gets burn all day... i would puull him out.... if a QB turns the ball over all day *including franchise QB*.... I would pull him out

Iron City South
01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Ok, I didn't weigh in on this yet so here goes:

As someone above has stated. Ben is the face of this team; he's the $100+ million dollar franchise QB, he's the guy who has proven many times that he's a "gamer" who's capable of that gutsy 4 qtr comeback. The only way I put Lefty in is if

1) Ben's having an abysmal game (one of his 3 turnover specialties)
2) Ben is getting his *** beat out there
3) The offense hasn't shown any signs of life in 3 and a half quarters.

I would say with under 10 minutes in the game and knowing that there is no tomorrow if we don't win, Tomlin will need to do something to give the team a spark.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Ok, I didn't weigh in on this yet so here goes:

As someone above has stated. Ben is the face of this team; he's the $100+ million dollar franchise QB, he's the guy who has proven many times that he's a "gamer" who's capable of that gutsy 4 qtr comeback. The only way I put Lefty in is if

1) Ben's having an abysmal game (one of his 3 turnover specialties)
2) Ben is getting his *** beat out there
3) The offense hasn't shown any signs of life in 3 and a half quarters.

I would say with under 10 minutes in the game and knowing that there is no tomorrow if we don't win, Tomlin will need to do something to give the team a spark.

the only problem with number 3 is that our offense has been way that most of the year so do you take the chance and see if Ben can rally the troops or do you yank him. If you do pull him then you risk a problem the following week with who to start?

livingthrudying
01-04-2009, 01:55 AM
either way its a moot point. I would bet my entire paycheck that regardless of how ben plays unless he gets hurt Tomlin doesnt have the experience, tenure or simply the balls to Bench Ben.

And i like Tomlin but i dont see him benching Ben unless he gets hurt.

On a side note i sure hope i can watch the whole game. If we have another one of these do nothing on offense all day type games i will most likely be in the hospital with a bursting Ulcer or something of that nature.

Gettysburgh_Steel
01-04-2009, 02:29 AM
If we get behind early,which i don't see happening ,but if we do ,and its because of the QB play,then yes.We are in this game to win. Whatever option we have should be utilized to make our winning a reality.

Scalaid6
01-04-2009, 04:42 AM
OF COURSE YOU BENCH THE LATHARGIC ONE if hes stinking it up. If you want to win.
But Tomlin is too soft to do so. Whisenhunt would in a heartbeat!
--- Added 1/4/2009 at 02:42 AM ---

actully benching ben would be the best thing for him. Just like with McNabb, it forced him to snap out of it and elevate his play. Now keep in mind how ben plays when he is behind? he tends to light it up when he has a wake up call. Benching him could be the ultimate wake up call. This is no different than anyone at their job, if you aren't able to get it done someone else gets a chance.

Ben needs to be more consistent and he has been a great QB since he became our starter except for the bad year after the wreck. Well he has had a similar year this year, the only difference is that the defense has saved us. SAy waht you want abouthim winning games but i can only count 1 or 2 games that he single handedly won for us this season. Just cause you make a 4th quarter drive (after stinking the place up for 55 mins) does not make you a game winner, it means you got lucky at the very end and your defense busted *** to keep you in the game within 1 TD. With even a slightly less defense we would have been a sub .500 team . Imagine any of those gmaes this season if our D had given up just one more touchdown.

I love Ben i wear my #7 jersey with pride but i promise you the team means more to me and should to everyone else. Ben is not a god he is a very good QB having a bad season and at the end of the say and at the end of his career we will still be rooting for the steelers long after Ben is gone.

YOu do whats best for the team always!!

Another GREAT POSTS

DIESELMAN
01-04-2009, 04:46 AM
I seriously doubt Ben gets pulled unless he gets hurt or he throws 2-3 INT's along with a pick 6 in the 1st half. Granted this is the playoffs, but he's never been pulled in the regular season, I don't see it happening now.

AZ_Steeler
01-04-2009, 04:49 AM
Plus Ben is all about confidence... pulling him during the game or benching him could do more damage to his confidence than a few interceptions. You kind of have to let it ride with Ben and hope for the best to be perfectly honest!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-04-2009, 04:52 AM
yeah that would be my concern if he does have a rough outing..it's a two edged sword. It's one thing to bench a QB in the regular season when it's not do or die but you make the wrong call in the playoffs and your done. QB's are a different breed from other players and when it's a franchise QB you have to be careful about pulling the trigger on him at a point like this.

augustashark
01-04-2009, 05:41 AM
Plus Ben is all about confidence... pulling him during the game or benching him could do more damage to his confidence than a few interceptions. You kind of have to let it ride with Ben and hope for the best to be perfectly honest!

I completely disagree with the confidence part. If a 5 year vet is that shakey in his confidence after all he has been through, then we have more problems then we think.

With that said, I think you DANCE WITH WHO BROUGHT YOU! Now if ben is not playing well due to an injury then you must sit him and give the team the best chance of winning.

Prosdo
01-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't think you pull Ben unless he has like 3 turnovers. Gotta go with your franchise quarterback.

JensK
01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Ben have shown before that he is able to play a whole game without doing a thing, and then pull something out of the hat in the 4th quater. Id go with Ben unless he is absolutly throwing the game away.