PDA

View Full Version : Do the Steelers have a No.1 receiver, and who is it?

Stairwayto7
01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
We all talk about Washington being a descent No.3, who is number 1? I`m not sure? I would think Ward is a No.2, but Holmes is far from a real No.1. IMO. I know we talked about weapons, in the preseason, do we really have weapons on offense, I mean big time weapons? I thought with Mendenhall we were going to have a great running attack, but we won`t know until next season. Any thoughts?

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Ward, without a doubt is our #1 WR. When the game is on the line and we need a big time play you go to Ward. At #2, I would say Heath Miller is our 2nd big play guy even though he is a TE and the question was about a WR.

Stairwayto7
01-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Ward, without a doubt is our #1 WR. When the game is on the line and we need a big time play you go to Ward. At #2, I would say Heath Miller is our 2nd big play guy even though he is a TE and the question was about a WR.

I agree that Ward is No.1, but I thought coming into the season the plan was he was 2, and Holmes 1. I love Hines Ward, but he doesn`t remind me of a number 1. And I`m not trying to knock Ward. It just seems like we have a few 2 and 3 but no bona fide No.1. Holmes was a 1st rounder, you expect a 1st rounder to excel to be a No.1, or am I wrong?

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree that Ward is No.1, but I thought coming into the season the plan was he was 2, and Holmes 1. I love Hines Ward, but he doesn`t remind me of a number 1. And I`m not trying to knock Ward. It just seems like we have a few 2 and 3 but no bona fide No.1. Holmes was a 1st rounder, you expect a 1st rounder to excel to be a No.1, or am I wrong?
lol, the Steelers have been trying to make Ward the #2 or #3 WR since he became a Steeler, and yet every year he shows that he's our best. We could bring in Moss and Fitzgerald and I would put my money on Ward to show them up. He seems to get better when he needs too...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2009, 06:00 PM
lol, the Steelers have been trying to make Ward the #2 or #3 WR since he became a Steeler, and yet every year he shows that he's our best. We could bring in Moss and Fitzgerald and I would put my money on Ward to show them up. He seems to get better when he needs too...

:iagree: Even when Ward was drafted they were still trying to get guys like Troy Edwards and Plax to be the main guys and Hines just played and got better every year and now he's a 4 time pro bowler, super bowl MVP, and has every significant WR record in team history. At this point Hines is beyond a shadow of a doubt IMO, the teams best receiver. He makes Holmes and Washington better and allows them to get open while he occupies a lot of the double teams.

ejsteeler
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
me too, Ward, Miller, Holmes, Moore, Washington.....yes, Moore before Washington. He has better hands. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2009, 06:22 PM
You guys are acting like Hines Ward is in his prime.....Yes he is still very good but he doesn't dictate coverage like other top NFL WR's....If you guys think so then please stop watching football.....lol

So no I don't think the Steelers have a true number 1 WR.....Ward is number 1 for the Steelers by default.....I no the reaction already and I know everybody is going to think I'm knocking Hines Ward....Ward is a badass but he gets it done with heart more then natural god given talent......

As for Santonio Holmes....I was hoping he was ready to take the next level.....But he disappointed me this year and he still has to prove himself if he wants to be a true number 1.....He runs lazy routes and drops to many passes but I still think he is going to be very good but I don't know if he will ever be a true number 1 WR.....

As for Nate Washington he is who he is......A solid WR from a small school that to me has out played Santonio Holmes who was a first round pick in 2006.....

I can't wait for the replies since don't think Hines Ward is a true number 1 at this stage in career.......You have to remember at Ward's age it does take alittle longer to get open like he use to......He is still very effective and is still a very good NFL WR..... Imgaine if Ben had WR's like Boldin and Fitzgerald?.....Don't you think defenses would be more afraid to blitz if the Steelers had WR's like that?.....I think so and Ben would be a much better QB to.....

Instead he has an aging Hines Ward, a lazy pot smoking Santonio Holmes who really needs to develop his game, and a WR from Tiffin........I think they're a solid bunch but still the Steelers could use an upgrade at this position.....I really hope Limas Sweed develops.........

BlackGold4vr
01-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I really hope Limas Sweed develops.........

You forgot about Dallas Baker! :hilarious:

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
You guys are acting like Hines Ward is in his prime.....Yes he is still very good but he doesn't dictate coverage like other top NFL WR's....If you guys think so then please stop watching football.....lol

So no I don't think the Steelers have a true number 1 WR.....Ward is number 1 for the Steelers by default.....I no the reaction already and I know everybody is going to think I'm knocking Hines Ward....Ward is a badass but he gets it done with heart more then natural god given talent......

As for Santonio Holmes....I was hoping he was ready to take the next level.....But he disappointed me this year and he still has to prove himself if he wants to be a true number 1.....He runs lazy routes and drops to many passes but I still think he is going to be very good but I don't know if he will ever be a true number 1 WR.....

As for Nate Washington he is who he is......A solid WR from a small school that to me has out played Santonio Holmes who was a first round pick in 2006.....

I can't wait for the replies since don't think Hines Ward is a true number 1 at this stage in career.......You have to remember at Ward's age it does take alittle longer to get open like he use to......He is still very effective and is still a very good NFL WR..... Imgaine if Ben had WR's like Boldin and Fitzgerald?.....Don't you think defenses would be more afraid to blitz if the Steelers had WR's like that?.....I think so and Ben would be a much better QB to.....

Instead he has an aging Hines Ward, a lazy pot smoking Santonio Holmes who really needs to develop his game, and a WR from Tiffin........I think they're a solid bunch but still the Steelers could use an upgrade at this position.....I really hope Limas Sweed develops.........Ok, there is now way Ward is doing what he has done and continues to do on heart and little talent. You show me a player that does what Ward does on Heart alone and i'll show you a player getting his *** kicked every week. sorry but you need more then heart to play the game of Football in the NFL. This isn't a Rocky movie...Ward has talent, and lots of it. There was a commercial a couple years ago about Ward that said it best..." Ward isn't great at any one thing, but is good at everything." He has been a well rounded WR and you do not become the all time WR in Pittsburgh, on a run happy team mind you, by just having heart...

ejsteeler
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
No where do I, or anyone else, say Ward is in his prime, simply that, right now, he is our #1 receiver, just like you did. Thats all. I don't think Washington or Holmes have played to their potential for whatever reason. But I do not think Washington has out played Holmes. I'd put them even. I'd put Washington on top if he could hold onto more balls.

JensK
01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Ok, there is now way Ward is doing what he has done and continues to do on heart and little talent. You show me a player that does what Ward does on Heart alone and i'll show you a player getting his *** kicked every week. sorry but you need more then heart to play the game of Football in the NFL. This isn't a Rocky movie...Ward has talent, and lots of it. There was a commercial a couple years ago about Ward that said it best..." Ward isn't great at any one thing, but is good at everything." He has been a well rounded WR and you do not become the all time WR in Pittsburgh, on a run happy team mind you, by just having heart...

While that is true, i dont think thats the point. I think the point is, that while Ward is our "number 1 guy" he is not really a number 1 guy, since he does not require all that attention that number one guys does. You can hate burress and TO and all those guys for their attitude, but they'll kill you if you don't take care of them. Hines is not that kind of player anymore. He is what he is, but he is more manageable now, than he were. This is obvious, since he is getting older and you can't be at your prime forever. Hines is still doing a great job, but he is not a "domination" WR anymore (can you use "domination" about a WR? :o). Holmes should be that guy who'll demand dobbelt coverage and open space for some of the other guys, but he is not (At least this season), so we'll have to wait and see how next year pans out with Limas, holmes and Washington imo.

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 07:32 PM
While that is true, i dont think thats the point. I think the point is, that while Ward is our "number 1 guy" he is not really a number 1 guy, since he does not require all that attention that number one guys does. You can hate burress and TO and all those guys for their attitude, but they'll kill you if you don't take care of them. Hines is not that kind of player anymore. He is what he is, but he is more manageable now, than he were. This is obvious, since he is getting older and you can't be at your prime forever. Hines is still doing a great job, but he is not a "domination" WR anymore (can you use "domination" about a WR? :o). Holmes should be that guy who'll demand dobbelt coverage and open space for some of the other guys, but he is not (At least this season), so we'll have to wait and see how next year pans out with Limas, holmes and Washington imo.The question was, "who is OUR #1 guy?" Not is Ward as good as some of the other WR in the league. Dont read more into the question then you need too....

JensK
01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
The question was, "who is OUR #1 guy?" Not is Ward as good as some of the other WR in the league. Dont read more into the question then you need too....

I know that, but i hope we can discuss it as long as we stay somewhat on topic? :) Because while Ward may be OUR #1 guy, he is not a real #1 guy, so i guees what i am trying to point out is, that we don't really have a #1 guy. The numbers are pretty equally spread out between the WR's, and its really different who gets the numbers in each game. I know that Ward is good, and i guees he would be the closest we get to an actual #1 guy this season, but i really don't see him as one. Did that clarify what i ment? :)

Scalaid6
01-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I know that, but i hope we can discuss it as long as we stay somewhat on topic? :) Because while Ward may be OUR #1 guy, he is not a real #1 guy, so i guees what i am trying to point out is, that we don't really have a #1 guy. The numbers are pretty equally spread out between the WR's, and its really different who gets the numbers in each game. I know that Ward is good, and i guees he would be the closest we get to an actual #1 guy this season, but i really don't see him as one. Did that clarify what i ment? :)

Hines is not really a #1? Why because he lacks speed? How much speed does Fitzgerald have? How much did Lynn Swann have? Charlie Joiner, Steve Largent, Andre Reed, Michael Irvin, Harold Carmichael, Fred Bilentnikoff etc have? Hines has intangibles and those are he runs good routes, hes steady, good blocker and one of the toughest wrs to ever play the game. Im sure MANY teams would want a #1 receiver like Hines.

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I know that, but i hope we can discuss it as long as we stay somewhat on topic? :) Because while Ward may be OUR #1 guy, he is not a real #1 guy, so i guees what i am trying to point out is, that we don't really have a #1 guy. The numbers are pretty equally spread out between the WR's, and its really different who gets the numbers in each game. I know that Ward is good, and i guees he would be the closest we get to an actual #1 guy this season, but i really don't see him as one. Did that clarify what i ment? :)No because despite what you or anyone feels, Ward is OUR #1 guy. And he may not have numbers like the some of the top WR in the league, but most of those other guys are not playing on an offense as bad as ours. There are many reason why a WR will have a good or bad season, and if you pull stats over the last ten years you will find that Ward is amoung the best in the league and thats playing with out a Manning that gets to air it out 35-40 times a game. He makes the plays when the ball comes his way. Plexi, not so much, thats why he was not resigned. You dont become the Steelers all time WR, beating out guys like Lipps, Swann and Stallworth, just being average at best. You have to be a number 1 guy in some way to achieve this. And he as.

JensK
01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
No because despite what you or anyone feels, Ward is OUR #1 guy. And he may not have numbers like the some of the top WR in the league, but most of those other guys are not playing on an offense as bad as ours. There are many reason why a WR will have a good or bad season, and if you pull stats over the last ten years you will find that Ward is amoung the best in the league and thats playing with out a Manning that gets to air it out 35-40 times a game. He makes the plays when the ball comes his way. Plexi, not so much, thats why he was not resigned. You dont become the Steelers all time WR, beating out guys like Lipps, Swann and Stallworth, just being average at best. You have to be a number 1 guy in some way to achieve this. And he as.

That i know, Hines have been great over the years, but our #1 guy must be the guy who is the biggest treath to the opponent this year right? And i don't see Hines as that. He is, if we look at the last 10 years, yes, but not so much this year. Id concider Washington as big a treath as Hines, because he have been a deep treath down field this year etc. Im just having a hard time clearling up my mind and figuring out who i really think is our #1 WR this year i guees.

I guees Hines could be concidered the number one go to guy, but again, ben normally split those "go to" throws to Moore, our TE and Hines, so i really don't know. If you see the Ravens game, it was Holmes, Washington and Hines who carried the load. Not particually hines.

Steel Trap86
01-02-2009, 07:57 PM
uhhh Hines Ward is #1...hands down,

He's good after the catch, he'll take the hit, and he's even throws out huge blocks to protect other recievers. He is the most complete receiver maybe even player the Steelers have right now.

Scalaid6
01-02-2009, 07:59 PM
That i know, Hines have been great over the years, but our #1 guy must be the guy who is the biggest treath to the opponent this year right? And i don't see Hines as that. He is, if we look at the last 10 years, yes, but not so much this year. Id concider Washington as big a treath as Hines, because he have been a deep treath down field this year etc. Im just having a hard time clearling up my mind and figuring out who i really think is our #1 WR this year i guees.

I guees Hines could be concidered the number one go to guy, but again, ben normally split those "go to" throws to Moore, our TE and Hines, so i really don't know. If you see the Ravens game, it was Holmes, Washington and Hines who carried the load. Not particually hines.

Thats funny. When the Steelers need a BIG 1st down who do they double? HINES. Why? Because they know Ben looks to him 1st and should.

--- Added 1/2/2009 at 05:58 PM ---

Thats funny. When the Steelers need a BIG 1st down who do they double? HINES. Why? Because they know Ben looks to him 1st and should.

Ben throw to moore? Come on dude, he does NOT hit his check down. If he throws to moore its a designed screen.

--- Added 1/2/2009 at 06:00 PM ---

uhhh Hines Ward is #1...hands down,

He's good after the catch, he'll take the hit, and he's even throws out huge blocks to protect other recievers. He is the most complete receiver maybe even player the Steelers have right now.

AGREED. And I even say hes more complete than my favorite Troy. Because he is

JensK
01-02-2009, 08:01 PM

--- Added 1/2/2009 at 05:58 PM ---

Ben throw to moore? Come on dude, he does NOT hit his check down. If he throws to moore its a designed screen.

I know this is what we see alot, but i think its been spread out more this season, than normally. There have been a lot of big 1st down conversions this year (thanks to our sorry running game), and it really havnt been Hines all over the place. At least thats how i see it, but i know most Steelers fans don't. I'll admit that i've never been the biggest hines homer ever :P

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 08:05 PM

I guees Hines could be concidered the number one go to guy, but again, ben normally split those "go to" throws to Moore, our TE and Hines, so i really don't know. If you see the Ravens game, it was Holmes, Washington and Hines who carried the load. Not particually hines.I dontwant to pick on you, but Ward has the best numbers this year despite what you think the other WR are doing. He is still our #1 WR. And because he has the best hands he will be until he retires. Unless we get Fitzgerald this off season...lol

JensK
01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I dontwant to pick on you, but Ward has the best numbers this year despite what you think the other WR are doing. He is still our #1 WR. And because he has the best hands he will be until he retires. Unless we get Fitzgerald this off season...lol

I think Holmes of last year had as good hands, but we'll have to wait to see that i guees. He sure havnt had them this year.. He did have the best numbers, yes, and i am not, intentionally at least, saying that he is not our best WR atm, but i just don't think we have a #1 WR on this team. I really see them as a unit who'll deliver when called upon (that last part sounded better than it really is >.<). BTW, Gz on the 1k posts :)

Scalaid6
01-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I dontwant to pick on you, but Ward has the best numbers this year despite what you think the other WR are doing. He is still our #1 WR. And because he has the best hands he will be until he retires. Unless we get Fitzgerald this off season...lol

This is not even debateable. Holmes #!? Heath? Nate? PUHLEASE

--- Added 1/2/2009 at 06:13 PM ---

I think Holmes of last year had as good hands, but we'll have to wait to see that i guees. He sure havnt had them this year.. He did have the best numbers, yes, and i am not, intentionally at least, saying that he is not our best WR atm, but i just don't think we have a #1 WR on this team. I really see them as a unit who'll deliver when called upon (that last part sounded better than it really is >.<). BTW, Gz on the 1k posts :)

Holmes is garbage and the most underachieving wr since Charles Johnson.

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I think Holmes of last year had as good hands, but we'll have to wait to see that i guees. He sure havnt had them this year.. He did have the best numbers, yes, and i am not, intentionally at least, saying that he is not our best WR atm, but i just don't think we have a #1 WR on this team. I really see them as a unit who'll deliver when called upon (that last part sounded better than it really is >.<). BTW, Gz on the 1k posts :)Ok, let me simplifiy it for you. Out of OUR WR, who is #1?

JensK
01-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok, let me simplifiy it for you. Out of OUR WR, who is #1?

Dude, you don't have to simplify things for me like im stupid, because im not. I just don't think its that simple. To me, its like saying: What car do you like the most? Farrari or Porsche. I think they both a great cars, and id like both of them, but if i was forced out in picking one, id go with Porsche, but again it would be a question of which one i liked the most, because they have different features. I think its the same way with our WR's this year. If i HAD to say someone, then it would be Hines (as i said), but i don't think the answer is that simple.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Hines is our #1 WR on this team, period. He gets all the double teams, he makes the clutch catches, he does it all and even at this stage in his career this offense wouldn't be doing anything in the passing game right now without him. He makes it all go with his blocking, big catches, vision on the field, route running etc. He's not going to last forever though and this team needs to start looking ahead and decide if they are going to wait for Sweed to develop and Nate to continue to get better if they re-sign him. Holmes is a great counterpart to Ben is a big play guy, if he can get his route running down pat he'll be wicked good.

Let's put it this way if Ward were traded to another team tomorrow, he'd be the number 1 receiver on atleast 1/2 the teams in the league if not 2/3.

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Dude, you don't have to simplify things for me like im stupid, because im not. I just don't think its that simple. To me, its like saying: What car do you like the most? Farrari or Porsche. I think they both a great cars, and id like both of them, but if i was forced out in picking one, id go with Porsche, but again it would be a question of which one i liked the most, because they have different features. I think its the same way with our WR's this year. If i HAD to say someone, then it would be Hines (as i said), but i don't think the answer is that simple.no the answer is that simply, and you answered it. And never take a porche over a Farrari, whats wrong with you?....lol You are spinning it into something more. Start a thread that says, Where do you rate Ward among the best all time or the best of 2008. The question was simple, and its was who is our best or #1 WR. You say Ward, most of us do because he is.

Stairwayto7
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Instead he has an aging Hines Ward, a lazy pot smoking Santonio Holmes who really needs to develop his game, and a WR from Tiffin........I think they're a solid bunch but still the Steelers could use an upgrade at this position.....I really hope Limas Sweed develops.........

COuldn`t have said it better myself. Back to the blitzes, if Holmes could get off the line of scrimmage this would help. Teams who bump him, have no problems he is to small

--- Added 1/2/2009 at 09:01 PM ---

I do agree with Scalaid6, holmes is an underachiever, to this point anyway. he was a first rounder. Troy Edwards was probably our biggest 1st round wr bust

popstaala
01-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Hines Ward... end of story

Stairwayto7
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Hines Ward... end of story

He is! But he isn`t a true No.1.

Steel Trap86
01-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I dont even think this should be a debate. Hines Ward is the best, he has stepped up big in critical games, takes hits, gives hits, blocks, doesnt fall down like a pile of **** after the catch *cough* randy moss *cough*, and I'm pretty sure he was the uhhhhh SUPERBOWL MVP? a couple years ago??

Holmes has had some great games, Washington is stepping up, I really liked Randle El when he was here, but lets face it, none of them measure up to Hines. Even when Baltimore had all that talking going on before the game about taking his head off and putting him out and "bounties", Hines still came out and almost knocked Bart Scott's block right off if he didnt duck, and he came up HUGE in the last 3 minutes of the game

HINES WARD ALL DAY

Bthorn86
01-02-2009, 11:34 PM
The original question is who is the Steeler's #1 receiver? Hines Ward all day for the most obvious reason. I wont repeat what so many already said but my opinion is without any doubt, Hines Ward.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think Holmes is underachieving that much, he's still a big playmaker for us and has come through with big catches when we need him. I think we all wish he'd be alittle further along in his route running by now, he tends to cut them off or not always get his head turned quick enough but overall the guy is pretty solid he just needs to refine his techniques more.

popstaala
01-03-2009, 12:17 AM
He is! But he isn`t a true No.1.

please tell me who is ?... *hint* blocking is part of the game... put that in consideration pls*hint*...... speed and homerun catches doesnt make a reciever number 1... jerry rice is the best of all time not because of his speed but because he runs his routes perfect and he hardly drop the football...... hines ward by far is the best all time blocking wideout... he also runs perfect routes which sometimes to bait in safeties leaving holmes and washington one on one...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2009, 12:27 AM
IMO a Hines Ward at this stage of his career is still better than 90% of the WR's in this league today, maybe even higher than that. Is the best in the league out of everyone, probably not simply because his numbers don't show it because of the offense he's in but as far as blocking, leadership, fearless attitude on the field, talent, he's as good as it gets.

popstaala
01-03-2009, 12:52 AM
IMO a Hines Ward at this stage of his career is still better than 90% of the WR's in this league today, maybe even higher than that. Is the best in the league out of everyone, probably not simply because his numbers don't show it because of the offense he's in but as far as blocking, leadership, fearless attitude on the field, talent, he's as good as it gets.

thank you.... end of story:tt02:

Stairwayto7
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
please tell me who is ?... *hint* blocking is part of the game... put that in consideration pls*hint*...... speed and homerun catches doesnt make a reciever number 1... jerry rice is the best of all time not because of his speed but because he runs his routes perfect and he hardly drop the football...... hines ward by far is the best all time blocking wideout... he also runs perfect routes which sometimes to bait in safeties leaving holmes and washington one on one...

I understand what your saying, no need to playcate me. Hines Ward is near the end of his career, we drafted a small receiver in Holmes, that we thought we step up and take the spot. Hasn`t happened yet. We`ve had little success drafting receivers in the 1st round. Holmes is good, not questioning that, but is he a 1st round worthy? I think our receiving corp. is average at best. Ward and Miller are solid, even great. Holmes, Washington, not quite there. Sweed, Spaeth, Baker, not even close.

--- Added 1/3/2009 at 08:22 AM ---

thank you.... end of story:tt02:

Because you said so?? :banging:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Ok, there is now way Ward is doing what he has done and continues to do on heart and little talent. You show me a player that does what Ward does on Heart alone and i'll show you a player getting his *** kicked every week. sorry but you need more then heart to play the game of Football in the NFL. This isn't a Rocky movie...Ward has talent, and lots of it. There was a commercial a couple years ago about Ward that said it best..." Ward isn't great at any one thing, but is good at everything." He has been a well rounded WR and you do not become the all time WR in Pittsburgh, on a run happy team mind you, by just having heart...

I swear you're one of the biggest dumb asses on this site.....Did I ****ing say that Hines Ward had little talent?....I said he gets it done by having heart more then natural god given talent........I'm not saying Hines Ward isn't talented but he isn't blessed with the natural talent that some WR's are blessed with.......But big reason Ward has success and continues to have success is he has a ton of heart.....Put Ward's heart and work ethic in Plax Burress and Plax would be the best WR in the NFL.....

I knew the reactions when I made most since most Steelers fans can't think outside the box when it comes to NFL Football.....Everything is the Steelers are the greatest and blah blah blah......

For the record...I think Ward should make the Hall of Fame so I do think he is very talented...lol

But I still hold onto my opinion that Hines Ward doesn't dictate coverage like other top NFL WR's and he didn't even in his prime.....Even when Plax was here......Plax wasn't the better WR but defenses respected his height and dictated coverage......But I'm sure you will miss my point there and take it as a slight toward Hines Ward.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I swear you're one of the biggest dumb asses on this site.....Did I ****ing say that Hines Ward had little talent?....I said he gets it done by having heart more then natural god given talent........I'm not saying Hines Ward isn't talented but he isn't blessed with the natural talent that some WR's are blessed with.......But big reason Ward has success and continues to have success is he has a ton of heart.....Put Ward's heart and work ethic in Plax Burress and Plax would be the best WR in the NFL.....

I knew the reactions when I made most since most Steelers fans can't think outside the box when it comes to NFL Football.....Everything is the Steelers are the greatest and blah blah blah......

For the record...I think Ward should make the Hall of Fame so I do think he is very talented...lol

But I still hold onto my opinion that Hines Ward doesn't dictate coverage like other top NFL WR's and he didn't even in his prime.....Even when Plax was here......Plax wasn't the better WR but defenses respected his height and dictated coverage......But I'm sure you will miss my point there and take it as a slight toward Hines Ward.....lol

He dictates double coverage because he's on our team and he's the best WR we have right now, you'd agree with that yes?

I can see your point about what you're saying with him and if he was on another team I think he'd get double coverage depending on who is opposite him, he's never been the fastest, strongest, quickest, or anything else you can think of he's just a guy that does it all well and is effective when you need him. Regardless of whether he's the best or not I think we can all agree we would have even less of a passing game than we do now.

Stlrs4Life
01-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I always thought Holmes was our Number 1 receiver.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2009, 03:30 PM
He dictates double coverage because he's on our team and he's the best WR we have right now, you'd agree with that yes?

I can see your point about what you're saying with him and if he was on another team I think he'd get double coverage depending on who is opposite him, he's never been the fastest, strongest, quickest, or anything else you can think of he's just a guy that does it all well and is effective when you need him. Regardless of whether he's the best or not I think we can all agree we would have even less of a passing game than we do now.

Ok I have stated that Hines Ward belongs in the Hall of Fame....That right there should tell that I think he is one hell of a football player.........Key word being football player.....Ward isn't your traditional NFL WR especially in the modern NFL of today......

But I stand by my opinion that he is the Steelers number 1 WR by default and really isn't a number 1 WR anymore......Maybe in his prime but I still don't think he was a WR that dictated coverage and that was evident when Burress played here....Come on Top Gun I know you watched and followed the games over the years....You know damn well when Plax was here that teams always shadwed a safety to his side to help the corner out....It wasn't always a tradtional double team but a saftey was always shadowed to Plax's side....That hasn't always been the case for Hines Ward especially as he has gotten older.....

But whatever attack my opinon all of you....I can take you all on.....:lol:

BR7
01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Where is Fred Gibson when you need him...

:popcorn: