PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning voted AP’s NFL MVP

Captcoolhand
01-02-2009, 01:53 PM
NEW YORK (AP)—Peyton Manning (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4256/;_ylt=AgOzIgbGDI2Kn8WzM1SB_F8dsLYF) can tell Brett Favre (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/;_ylt=Am.v2tNItmMvpOOOtasoCiAdsLYF) to move over and make room for him atop the roster of NFL Most Valuable Players.
For the third time, Manning won the award by The Associated Press, tying Favre as the only players in that elite category.F*ck Peyton Manning! He's over rated if you ask me.
I like to see what kind of MVP he would be if he played for a team like the Clowns.....

JensK
01-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning won his third Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player award Friday, and Steelers linebacker James Harrison finished tied for fifth with three votes.

Harrison, who had 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles this season for the league's No.1-rated defense, finished tied with Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson. Finishing in a two-way tie for second with four votes each were Miami quarterback Chad Pennington and Atlanta running back Michael Turner.

Manning received 32 votes for the panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters covering the league, after a season in which he recovered from off-season knee surgery and lead the Colts (12-4) to nine consecutive victories down the stretch, including a Nov. 9 triumph at Heinz Field. sigh.. I think Harrison should have been higher than 5, but what would you expect? We are the steelers.

JoeThomas
01-02-2009, 02:18 PM
i like the pick. he was playing very well. a year with alot of good possibilities.

popstaala
01-02-2009, 02:53 PM
manning sucks... adrian peterson should have won it

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 03:54 PM
i like the pick. he was playing very well. a year with alot of good possibilities.
I dont think that because he didn't make traing camp or preseason, and that it took him 6 or 7 weeks to warm up he should win. There are other players that have played well all year that I think they should be considered over him.

LarryNJ
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Manning is 209-of-290 passing for 2,248 yards and 17 touchdowns, with only three interceptions. During their winning streak. I'd take stats like that from Ben.

I'd say he deserves it as much as anyone else.

Dean Denton
01-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Manning is 209-of-290 passing for 2,248 yards and 17 touchdowns, with only three interceptions. During their winning streak. I'd take stats like that from Ben.

I'd say he deserves it as much as anyone else.
I think Adrian Peterson has been better over the course of the year and I would give it to him. They dont ever give it to Def players or I think everyone here would say Harrison....

Stairwayto7
01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Must be nice to suck the first 5 games of the season, but still win MVP!

JoeThomas
01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
there wasnt a runaway guy so its open to whoever is hot. manning was the 2nd half of the year. why not him? coulda been 3 or 4 people.

Stairwayto7
01-02-2009, 04:50 PM
there wasnt a runaway guy so its open to whoever is hot. manning was the 2nd half of the year. why not him? coulda been 3 or 4 people.

IT Should be for the entire season!

Bucsfan4ever
01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Well, I do love having him on a fantasy team!

JensK
01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
IT Should be for the entire season!

:plus1: Peterson have been there every single sunday. Payton was there when he had to, but nothing more. That is not the MVP for me. I guees it just shows how much ppl loves the QB.

NCSteeler
01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
All I got to say is as bad as our O has been this year Ben could have SHREDDED the Colts schedule for the last 9 games. They are putting way too much into this 9 game winning streak.
They eek by NE at home.
Minus 2 wrong tips of the ball and we beat them
and then they go onto play ....
Texans 3-6 relied on Texans to give them the game
Chargers 4-5
Browns 3-6 10-6 is all the great Manning could manage against the hapless Browns
Bengals 1-8
Lions 0-9
Jaguars 4-5
Titans 9-0 Played and beat with back ups.

Also for anyone using the WR argument against Warner, how about Harrison, Wayne, Clark and a great young Gonzalez...pretty damn fine WRs

I don't know who I would make the MVP, maybe Pennington, Turner, Rivers, AP

I really think it might be Rivers, btu I know it isn't anyone named Manning.

steelerschick1220
01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Peyton is my least favorite player in the NFL. I don't think he should have won the award. IMO, Pennimgton deserved it. I don't think that the Phins would have been nearly as good if he wasn't their QB. The media has a love affiar with this guy. I hope that award means something if he chokes in the playoffs again. Media is way to excited over that winning streak. Aside from us, name one good team they beat.

BlitzburghNation
01-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Rod Woodson said on nfl network that Ware should've won it and if a QB was gonna win it,,,,He said his pick would've been Rivers.

Lotta good choices this year and Manning wouldn't have been mine,,,,,,,,Rivers did play the chargers into the playoffs in december and he would've gotten my vote :yesnod:

I wish a defensive player would've won it "like Harrison" but everyone knows it's always an QB or an RB,,,,,,,,:cursin:

Harrison would've had to brek the sack record to have a :pray: for that award IMO

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-03-2009, 01:45 PM
MVP to his team...Pennington wins hands down,that team had major turn around. Harrison had a monster year but Ware put up as good if not better stats. This ain't nothing but a popularity contest anyhow...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Who really cares about the MVP...........No shock really that Manning won it and really no shock that James Harrison was 5th.......I agree James Harrison should have been higher and had a case for MVP and so did Ware.....But defensive players really have no shot and that sucks......

I have hated Peyton Manning since he was in college.......But with out Peyton Manning......How many games do the Colts win this year?.....Maybe 4 or 5 at the most.......That is why he won the MVP and really he played some of his best football in his career during the Colts 9 game winning streak.....Without a running game might I add.....He deserved the MVP as much as Rivers or Peterson.......

kgreen
01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
The MVP award goes to the player a team can least afford to lose. Peyton Manning carried his team. They had injuries all along the offensive line, to reciecers and RBs. Peyton did everything for the Colts. Manning also didn't benefit from having a great defense like some other poorer offenses did. Offenses like Tennessee, Minnesota and Pittsburgh got by really on great defense and offense that does barely enough. He got them out of a 3-4 hole with 9 straight wins. Without Manning where would the Colts be? 9-7, 8-8, or even 7-9 perhaps? With any lesser QB in there, this team fails. With Manning, they pull out 9 straight. He's not overrated despite what some of you think.

Congrats to Manning, well deserved. :yesnod:

Also, I do agree that Harrison should have gotten more votes. No way should he have won over Manning or Peterson. Yes, he was the center piece of this defense, but he did not carry the defensive load.

LarryNJ
01-03-2009, 08:17 PM
They just showed a stat that he completed over 80% of his passes in December. I don't care if you like him or not that's impressive!

popstaala
01-03-2009, 08:25 PM
They just showed a stat that he completed over 80% of his passes in December. I don't care if you like him or not that's impressive!

thats just one month... but overall he dont have the numbers like other QBs.... peyton mannings performance this year didnt win it for him... it was his name that won it.

jpele
01-04-2009, 09:48 AM
He'll have a lot of time to sit and admire his award. Well at least when he's not throwing the rest of the Colts under the bus.

lloydfan4life
01-04-2009, 10:20 AM
He'll have a lot of time to sit and admire his award. Well at least when he's not throwing the rest of the Colts under the bus.

:hilarious::lol: :plus1:

DBR96A
01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Really, who cares about media-based awards? It's not like any Steelers will ever win them. Besides, what difference does such an award make in the playoffs? None, obviously. :lol:

kgreen
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
thats just one month... but overall he dont have the numbers like other QBs.... peyton mannings performance this year didnt win it for him... it was his name that won it.

False. It's not always about numbers man.

popstaala
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
False. It's not always about numbers man.

if you were to pick one would you go with manning? if it not the numbers...then what?
pls dont tell me he carry the whole load for their team cause there are some QBs and RBs who carry the whole load for their teams and have better numbers... wtf i dont really care about this MVP crap anymore... manning won it and he lost to the chargers.. end of story

NCSteeler
01-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Was watching NFLN and apparently the MVP not having a chance to win the game in OT has all the talking heads really upset and they want to know if they are going to change the OT rules. They talk like teams don't field a defense too. I would put our D on the field in OT any day.

Then I run across this on the Hater Nation Blog

Moron Gomer
Sorry, that should read, more on Gomer. My bad. But found this interesting tidbit on the Jaguars team site. No seriously, I can't explain why I was on the Jags' team site, but thankfully I was. Sometimes you find the best gems. Normally, team sites are filled with Titleist washers, pushing the agenda of the team. Not this time. Vic Ketchman really unloaded on Gomer. So much so, he has an open invitation to join The Hater Nation.

What is it with you Peyton Manning apologists? He was nearly intercepted four times and three of those should've been intercepted and returned for touchdowns. The only play he made in the second half was catching the Chargers off guard and lobbing a touchdown pass to an uncovered receiver. In his last four possessions, with the game on the line and the Colts only needing one more score to clinch the win, Manning managed a total of 20 plays for 38 net yards. Hey, that's crunch time, baby. A day after he wins the league MVP, he gags with the game on the line and does his usual one-and-done routine. When are you people gonna get off your knees? The guy is 7-8 in career postseason games and six times he's lost in the first playoff game of that year's postseason; three times in the last four years. Manning did not do his job. His job is to win. His job is to get it done at crunch time.

He has a strong point, outside fo 2006 when has Peyton ever done crap when it counted??