PDA

View Full Version : What about Mike Martz?

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 01:38 PM
What are your thoughts on bringing in Mike Martz to run the Off?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2008, 02:01 PM
No way, that dude is all about being pass happy. If Tomlin wants to get back to running the ball Martz would be the wrong way to go IMO.

BlackGold4vr
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Can't stand the guy. He has been a destructive force almost everywhere he's been not to mention he is a pass happy coach. Not a guy that likes to blend with a team, he likes to be the show. There is a reason he keeps losing his jobs, nobody likes him. If the Steelers are actually wise enough to can Arians (which I'm not convinced that this will happen) I would like to see them go with someone young and unknown. That coach should come from a coaching tree or system that was a run dominant team. Lets keep the "west coast" offense the hell out of Pittsburgh! Beef up the O-line in this years draft and bring in a new OC who can best utilize the talents that we have! Arians was the type of kid whose mother would set him in a corner with a square peg and a round hole and keep him entertained for hours. :lol:

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
No way, that dude is all about being pass happy. If Tomlin wants to get back to running the ball Martz would be the wrong way to go IMO.

You dont think with the weapons we have that guy couldn't make us the greatest show on grass? We have the running game with WP/Mendy. I kinda think the guy is magical if he has the talent at his disposal. and we definatelly have that to offer him....IMO

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
I just don't think Tomlin would consider a guy like Martz who's MO for his entire career is pass first and run if you absolutely have too. Tomlin keeps preaching about running the ball and if Martz were here we'd be even worse off than we probably already are on the ground.

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 02:42 PM

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k250/azsteeler/smilies/explode.gif

Stairwayto7
12-31-2008, 02:58 PM
No! IMO, Martz is an ego maniac!

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 03:11 PM
He did win a SB and made it to 2. Warner had pretty good numbers, but you guys are right im sure. I am just unhappy with Bruce and would take just about anyone right now, even if we win the SB in a blow out. Plus, I think Martz is a lot better then Bruce. Also, I think Ben is a lot better then Warner, and would have better passing stats uner Marts. But I guess it wouldn't matter who the OC is if we dont tighten up the pass blocking...

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 03:43 PM
I'll be honest... when I saw the news the thought crossed my mind as well but he is definitely a hands on guy and there might be some clashing between him and TOmlin just as their was between Martz and Singletary.

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I'll be honest... when I saw the news the thought crossed my mind as well but he is definitely a hands on guy and there might be some clashing between him and TOmlin just as their was between Martz and Singletary.Good, then I wasn't the only one that felt that way. I have my doubts about him too, but sometimes things just work. I agree with you guys,and I have to say I respect everyones opinion on this. We are in this together, and I think that I trust all of you more then I do the Steelers front office at times...

SteelWolf62
12-31-2008, 04:11 PM
I know his ego wouldn't allow it. Cowher tried to hire him in 92 plus his running backs are always running for positive yards. Just a thought.

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
I know his ego wouldn't allow it. Cowher tried to hire him in 92 plus his running backs are always running for positive yards. Just a thought.

Shanahan is big-time which equals big-time dollars! Plus he wants way too much control and the Steelers would never go for it.

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Shanahan is big-time which equals big-time dollars! Plus he wants way too much control and the Steelers would never go for it.I agree, but at this point in his career do you think he is in a position to demand anything. so far all he has shown is that Elway made him, and that he is a hell of a OL coach. Might be the best I have seen. but the guy has done nothing since 1999....

Iron City South
12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
You may not like Martz, personally ....I'm indifferent on him, but he would be a definate upgrade over Bruce Dumbass.

Stairwayto7
12-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers always have stood for class, and TEAM! We do not want Martz here, he would ruin things right away, then we might have a coaching controversy

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Bruce Arians will be back and if he isnt Ben is gonna go off!

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers always have stood for class, and TEAM! We do not want Martz here, he would ruin things right away, then we might have a coaching controversyYou think he would clash with Tomlin? I could see that, but maybe not. Tomlin to me seems to strong willed to be bullied or to ever let anyone tell him how to run his team. Tomlin is really starting to win me over. You could be right though...

--- Added 12/31/2008 at 03:45 PM ---

Bet you would love that, Browns fan...lol

Iron City South
12-31-2008, 04:59 PM

F***' Ben! .... He hasn't earned the right from a performance perspective to tell the front office who HE THINKS should be his coach. Ben wants a "beer buddy" ... and that's exactly what he has in Airans ..... but what Ben needs is a coach and mentor that he respects and who he knows is running the show.

Ben was successful early in his career because he was a student of the game and respected both Whipple and Whizenhut. He knew who the student was and who the teacher was ..... I don't think those lines are as clear as they used to be.

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 05:03 PM
F***' Ben! .... He hasn't earned the right from a performance perspective to tell the front office who HE THINKS should be his coach. Ben wants a "beer buddy" ... and that's exactly what he has in Airans ..... but what Ben needs is a coach and mentor that he respects and who he knows is running the show.

Ben was successful early in his career because he was a student of the game and respected both Whipple and Whizenhut. He knew who the student was and who the teacher was ..... I don't think those lines are as clear as they used to be.

I agree 100%!!! Back in those days it was "Coach Cowher" and Coach Whisenhunt" now its "Mike and Bruce" WOW. But what do I know I'm just a browns fan. :cope:

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree 100%!!! Back in those days it was "Coach Cowher" and Coach Whisenhunt" now its "Mike and Bruce" WOW. But what do I know I'm just a browns fan. :cope:Dont you ever bad mouth Tomlin, he's Omar Epp's older brother...

Ambridge
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
That's a Big "F" No on Mike Martz!!

The big difference between Mike Martz and Bruce Arians is that right now Pittsburgh can't run the ball.....with Mike Martz we would never run the ball even if the Steelers could.

Martz is about as bad as Andy Reid with his disproportionate pass/run ratio.

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
To badmouth Tomlin would be to go off topic of the thread and I dont do that.:cope:

Stairwayto7
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree to NO Martz! And I also agree that if the front office wants a new OC, thier paying the bill, Ben will have to work with whomever they pick. He doesnt need a say!

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 05:13 PM
That's a Big "F" No on Mike Martz!!

The big difference between Mike Martz and Bruce Arians is that right now Pittsburgh can't run the ball.....with Mike Martz we would never run the ball even if the Steelers could.

Martz is about as bad as Andy Reid with his disproportionate pass/run ratio.Faulk had a lot of carries and yards under that clown. You dont think he could make use of Willie and Mendy? Mendy can catch and so can Moore. I think they would blend well. Its not like this guy sucked. He has a ring. Arians has nothing but the stains of the Browns...

Ambridge
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Faulk had a lot of carries and yards under that clown. You dont think he could make use of Willie and Mendy? Mendy can catch and so can Moore. I think they would blend well. Its not like this guy sucked. He has a ring. Arians has nothing but the stains of the Browns...

Once the Rams won the Superbowl.....I think Martz lost a few marbles and bought too much into his passing game philosophy.
There's a reason St. Louis, Detroit and San Francisco dumped him.

BTW-I don't think the present receivers(Holmes, Ward, and Washington)would fit well into a Mike Martz "pass first" system.

Bucsfan4ever
12-31-2008, 05:26 PM
I would hate to see Martz in the Steeler organization...I just can't stand him!! What an ego!

Iron City South
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
You guys are getting carried away with the Mike Martz hate .....

You make it sound like he doesn't call running plays when that's about as absurd of a notion as I've ever heard. The last time I checked when he had one of the most prolific and productive offenses EVER in St. Louis (i.e. greatest show on turf) .... there was a guy named Marshall Faulk who had a damn good HOF career under Martz. It just so happened that he had 2 great WR talents to utilize as well .... (Holt/Bruce). Martz would know how to use Mendenhall .... I have no doubt about that.

Like I said, I'm not a HUGE Martz fan .... but he would most certainly be an upgrade.

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Once the Rams won the Superbowl.....I think Martz lost a few marbles and bought too much into his passing game philosophy.
There's a reason St. Louis, Detroit and San Francisco dumped him.

BTW-I don't think the present receivers(Holmes, Ward, and Washington)would fit well into a Mike Martz "pass first" system.I think it would be Holmes, Ward and Sweed, and I think they could do it. not at the same level as Bruce and holt, but effective just the same. Plus the running game in my eyes would shine. But...You are right for the simple fact that if the Lions have no use for you, then you might want to retire...lol

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Faulk had a lot of carries and yards under that clown. You dont think he could make use of Willie and Mendy? Mendy can catch and so can Moore. I think they would blend well. Its not like this guy sucked. He has a ring. Arians has nothing but the stains of the Browns...

Faulks first year under Martz (The greatest show on turf) he had like 1380 yards... His prior year Faulk had just over 1300 yards rushing with the Colts who were 3-13. the difference was the receiving yards... he had almost 500 with the Colts and then that first year he had just over 1000 with Martz.

When you looks at Martz's teams he's coached or was the OC his rushing stats suck, Faulk actually balloons Martzs' numbers to make them somewhat respectable!

Iron City South
12-31-2008, 05:45 PM
When you looks at Martz's teams he's coached or was the OC his rushing stats suck, Faulk actually balloons Martzs' numbers to make them somewhat respectable!

Chicken or the egg .....

You're asserting that it was Faulk that made Martz look good when one can easily say it was Martz's playbook, schemes, and playcalling that will put Faulk in Canton.

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
You guys are getting carried away with the Mike Martz hate .....

You make it sound like he doesn't call running plays when that's about as absurd of a notion as I've ever heard. The last time I checked when he had one of the most prolific and productive offenses EVER in St. Louis (i.e. greatest show on turf) .... there was a guy named Marshall Faulk who had a damn good HOF career under Martz. It just so happened that he had 2 great WR talents to utilize as well .... (Holt/Bruce). Martz would know how to use Mendenhall .... I have no doubt about that.

Like I said, I'm not a HUGE Martz fan .... but he would most certainly be an upgrade.
Faulk had 2000 total yards in 99, and we have three pretty good backs for him to use. I am torn on this, but I feel that he could make changes with us to make us scary...We have the talent for him and the teams that fired him after the Rams did not...

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Chicken or the egg .....

You're asserting that it was Faulk that made Martz look good when one can easily say it was Martz's playbook, schemes, and playcalling that will put Faulk in Canton.

Yes I am saying Faulk made Martz look good... Faulk's numbers were practically identical the prior year on a team that wasn't all that great. When you look at the Rams records and Faulk's numbers it's almost a "As Faulk went do did the Rams".

Iron City South
12-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Yes I am saying Faulk made Martz look good... Faulk's numbers were practically identical the prior year on a team that wasn't all that great. When you look at the Rams records and Faulk's numbers it's almost a "As Faulk went do did the Rams".

That's crazy to assert that it was Faulk that made Martz look good simply because he had similar numbers the prior year. How many RB's have 1 or 2 good years then fall off a cliff and you never hear from them again? You can probably rattle off a dozen or so of them. Martz created the playbook that allowed the Rams to be the best for a few years straight. He also utilized Faulk in a manner that played to his strengths and did it consistently allowing Faulk a Hall of Fame career. To deny him that accomplishment is flat out wrong.

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 06:02 PM
That's crazy to assert that it was Faulk that made Martz look good simply because he had similar numbers the prior year. How many RB's have 1 or 2 good years then fall off a cliff and you never hear from them again? You can probably rattle off a dozen or so of them. Martz created the playbook that allowed the Rams to be the best for a few years straight. He also utilized Faulk in a manner that played to his strengths and did it consistently allowing Faulk a Hall of Fame career. To deny him that accomplishment is flat out wrong.

What has Martz done since he lost Faulk? Has even been back to the playoffs? He practically had every great receiver to come out the draft the past 5 years in Detroit and he didn't do anything with them?

Ambridge
12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Chicken or the egg .....

If the "Mike Martz-Offense" was so damn great then you would have seen teams adopting it left and right after the Rams won the Superbowl.

His system is will work if there are high caliber studs at the skill positions to carry it out... anything less than that and it ends up being just another mediocre offense.

When Martz was in St. Louis he was blessed/lucky enough to have the horses to run his show: Warner, Faulk, Bruce and Holt....I doubt he'll be fortunate to see the likes of them again on any one team.

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 06:14 PM
What has Martz done since he lost Faulk? Has even been back to the playoffs? He practically had every great receiver to come out the draft the past 5 years in Detroit and he didn't do anything with them?
Thats not fair. You could put the greatest coaches of all time in Detroit and they would fail. Detroit is where players and coaches go to die...

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 06:15 PM

Agreed. Faulk is a hall of famer (before he got to the Rams) Martzs success was the product of having Faulk, Warner, Bruce, Holt. Was Martz in Indy when Faulk was doing the same thing? How did Martz do for the Lions and or 9ers? No brainer

Iron City South
12-31-2008, 06:19 PM
If the "Mike Martz-Offense" was so damn great then you would have seen teams adopting it left and right after the Rams won the Superbowl.

Glad you mentioned it, because the Martz "Greatest show on Turf" blueprint is exactly what Monty Kiffen employed with the Colts when Manning came aboard. There's no less than a dozen teams that have attempted to emulate it in the league today with varying degress of success.

You know damn well Detroit has much bigger issues than to attempt to pin it on Martz.

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Agreed. Faulk is a hall of famer (before he got to the Rams) Martzs success was the product of having Faulk, Warner, Bruce, Holt. Was Martz in Indy when Faulk was doing the same thing? How did Martz do for the Lions and or 9ers? No brainer

those guys were there before and after Marts and they didn't win a thing, so you can spin this forever. Fact is Martz is still an upgrade over Arians, and we have bitchen talent in Pittsburgh that most OC could take advantage of,and Martz I think could be one of them. Mendenhal will be better then faulk....

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Thats not fair. You could put the greatest coaches of all time in Detroit and they would fail. Detroit is where players and coaches go to die...

Barry Sanders?

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Glad you mentioned it, because the Martz "Greatest show on Turf" blueprint is exactly what Monty Kiffen employed with the Colts when Manning came aboard. There's no less than a dozen teams that have attempted to emulate it in the league today with varying degress of success.

You know damn well Detroit has much bigger issues than to attempt to pin it on Martz.

Manning came into the NFL Before the greatest show on turf was even heard of (98)

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Barry Sanders?That my point, Barry retired because of Detroit. He didn't flat out say it, but in his intervierws you only needed to read between the lines. Barry wanted to go play with Marino, but the Lions would not let him out of his contract. Again, no one will win in Detroit ever....

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 06:30 PM
That my point, Barry retired because of Detroit. He didn't flat out say it, but in his intervierws you only needed to read between the lines. Barry wanted to go play with Marino, but the Lions would not let him out of his contract. Again, no one will win in Detroit ever....

I think Barry retired because of that coach they hired. Forgot his name. He was a ex college coach, Bobby??

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 06:37 PM
I think Barry retired because of that coach they hired. Forgot his name. He was a ex college coach, Bobby??No, thats not why. It was because he was tired of being the only one doing anything, and having nothing to show for it. He knew he was not going to win there, thats why he tried going to Miami. And yes, he tried to go. Detroit would not let him out of the contract. It was all over ESPN that he wanted to play one or two years with Marino....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't hate Mike Martz.....But his offensive style wouldn't be good for the players on the Steelers offense.......Especially Ben who isn't the typical Martz style QB.......

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't hate Mike Martz.....But his offensive style wouldn't be good for the players on the Steelers offense.......Especially Ben who isn't the typical Martz style QB.......
See I think Ben is the perfect QB for any system. Its a lot harder to throw the ball only 20 to 25 times a game and win, then it is 35 to 40. Like Phil simms said, throwing 25 times a game is like asking a PG to hit the game winning shot at the buzzer after only taking 3 or 4 shots all game. Normaly I would not listen to simms, but he was a QB, and would know more then most of us about what it takes to be great at that position. not too many people can do what Ben can, and that is was seperates him from most of the QB is this league. so whatever Martz system is, and I think you are saying its forcing Ben to throw more, he would be fine. When we ask that of him its usually because we are down by 2 or more scores, and no one is great at that. Ben still has more 4th Qr comebacks then any QB in the league since 2004.....

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 07:27 PM
No, thats not why. It was because he was tired of being the only one doing anything, and having nothing to show for it. He knew he was not going to win there, thats why he tried going to Miami. And yes, he tried to go. Detroit would not let him out of the contract. It was all over ESPN that he wanted to play one or two years with Marino....

If thats the case he would have retired long ago. That colorado coach game and he said CYA. He wanted to go because he didnt like the coach Bobby Ross, yeah thats the name. Had they not hired Ross he woulda stayed and played in motown.

--- Added 12/31/2008 at 06:27 PM ---

See I think Ben is the perfect QB for any system. Its a lot harder to throw the ball only 20 to 25 times a game and win, then it is 35 to 40. Like Phil simms said, throwing 25 times a game is like asking a PG to hit the game winning shot at the buzzer after only taking 3 or 4 shots all game. Normaly I would not listen to simms, but he was a QB, and would know more then most of us about what it takes to be great at that position. not too many people can do what Ben can, and that is was seperates him from most of the QB is this league. so whatever Martz system is, and I think you are saying its forcing Ben to throw more, he would be fine. When we ask that of him its usually because we are down by 2 or more scores, and no one is great at that. Ben still has more 4th Qr comebacks then any QB in the league since 2004.....

More 4th quarter comebacks being on the Steelers is NOT a good thing. The Steelers traditionally field good defenses. So to be behind means the offense has been bsing the whole game. Martz system is predicated on quick reads and timing. Not exactly Bens strong suit. Ben is more of a Sunday afternoon, draw a play in the dirt and see what you get qb. Thats why he excells in the no huddle- its freelance.

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 07:30 PM
If thats the case he would have retired long ago. That colorado coach game and he said CYA. He wanted to go because he didnt like the coach Bobby Ross, yeah thats the name. Had they not hired Ross he woulda stayed and played in motown.

--- Added 12/31/2008 at 06:27 PM ---

More 4th quarter comebacks being on the Steelers is NOT a good thing. The Steelers traditionally field good defenses. So to be behind means the offense has been bsing the whole game. Martz system is predicated on quick reads and timing. Not exactly Bens strong suit. Ben is more of a Sunday afternoon, draw a play in the dirt and see what you get qb. Thats why he excells in the no huddle- its freelance.No, No and No....Happy New Browns fan...lol

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Same to you from Cleveland with Love.

BlitzburghNation
12-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Not no,,,,,,But HELL NO :evilshake:
Can't stand that egomaniac :moon: hole !!!!!

Ambridge
12-31-2008, 08:51 PM

First off Monte Kiffen was never a coach with the Colts.....I believe you're thinking about Jim Mora as the head coach and the Offensive Coordinator that took over when Manning came aboard was Tom Moore.
The same Tom Moore who used to be the OC for the Steelers years ago and long before Mike Martz came into the league.
I seriously doubt Tom Moore would drop his offensive style and years of experience and adopt anything from the Mike Martz playbook.

BTW-attempting something with varying degrees of success pretty much tells you that it SUCKS!!.....and yes Detroit has had a lot of issues but when "Rod Marinelli had to step in and tell Martz to run the ball more often" last season that pretty much tells you about Martz's system and Martz's tendencies.

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
First off Monte Kiffen was never a coach with the Colts.....I believe you're thinking about Jim Mora as the head coach and the Offensive Coordinator that took over when Manning came aboard was Tom Moore.
The same Tom Moore who used to be the OC for the Steelers years ago and long before Mike Martz came into the league.
I seriously doubt Tom Moore would drop his offensive style and years of experience and adopt anything from the Mike Martz playbook.

BTW-attempting something with varying degrees of success pretty much tells you that it SUCKS!!.....and yes Detroit has had a lot of issues but when "Rod Marinelli had to step in and tell Martz to run the ball more often" last season that pretty much tells you about Martz's system and Martz's tendencies.

GREAT POST!! PROPS!!:cope:

Steelersfan
12-31-2008, 08:58 PM
I know I could care less who the OC is as long as they get some kind of identity for the offense. To me that has been one of the biggest problems all year. Not utilizing players strengths.

Not saying I like Martz but at least we'd all know what type of O we were going to have.

ChefDawg
12-31-2008, 11:10 PM
the guy is a cancer to the team.

I wouldnt wish him on any team...well yeah I would wish him on the Balti-morons

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2008, 11:26 PM

No way. He's a BA clone!

HUNT4SEVEN
01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Hell to the NO to martz an that bum Arians they are both A** holes.

steelcityrockers
01-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Beyond the fact that Martz is a douche and his system would never fly here (They call for 5-7 step drops on most pass plays) we don't really have the type of players needed for his scheme. It requires smaller, quicker receivers (like Az Hakim) and while we have smallish receivers, they are mostly possession guys except for Nate.

Prosdo
01-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I know I could care less who the OC is as long as they get some kind of identity for the offense. To me that has been one of the biggest problems all year. Not utilizing players strengths.

Not saying I like Martz but at least we'd all know what type of O we were going to have.

I agree. This offense just seems boring and scattered. I was hoping this season we would actually see Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth used. Guess it was wishful thinking.