PDA

View Full Version : Cowher turning green?

BR7
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
<link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3799959)>

The door to the New York Jets' opening might not be closed for Bill Cowher just yet after all.

A high-ranking Jets official told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the team is still planning to speak to Cowher about its vacant head coaching job. No time or place for the interview has been set, but the official says the Jets would be willing to do "whatever is necessary" to land Cowher if he is truly interested in taking the job.

Cowher plans to speak publicly for the first time about the Jets' opening and other coaching opportunities during CBS' wild-card pregame show on Sunday, a source told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand.

Initially, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported Cowher told the Jets he was not interested because he wanted his own personnel director. The Jets official's response indicates the team is willing to let Cowher replace current general manager Mike Tannenbaum with his own candidate.

A Jets source also said Tannenbaum says he's willing to adjust his position to accommodate Cowher.

Cowher has told friends the Jets job interested him for several reasons. First, Cowher would love to coach in the New York market. Second, two of his daughters are either going to school or working in the New York-New Jersey area.

If Cowher doesn't take an open NFL head coaching job this offseason, he does plan to coach in 2010, sources told Clayton. In 2009, though, he is willing to return only if every situation is right for him. He wanted to have a two-year break from coaching to be with family and recharge.

Last weekend, Cowher met with Browns owner Randy Lerner, who asked him what it would take financially for him to be the Browns' head coach. Having a close relationship with the Rooney family in Pittsburgh and still wanting more time with family, Cowher didn't give Lerner a price, and said no.

Cowher, 51, was 161-99-1 in 15 seasons with Pittsburgh, including a Super Bowl win in 2006.

Cowher recently extended his contract with CBS for another season.

In addition to Cowher, the Jets are also lining up interviews with other candidates, including Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. The Giants have granted the Jets permission to speak with Spagnuolo regarding their opening, sources told ESPN's Rachel Nichols.

New York is also expected to interview a pair of in-house candidates: offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who also served as assistant head coach under Eric Mangini, who was fired as head coach Monday.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. Information from ESPN.com's John Clayton, 1050 ESPN's Andrew Marchand and ESPN's Rachel Nichols was used in this report.

Interesting...

Stairwayto7
12-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Doesn`tseem right! But its better then orange and crap

BR7
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Thats a big F*** You to Lerner if he takes it, lol.

edit:
lol.. the Browns want to talk to Man-gina (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800515) now. Guess one ex-Patsie coach wasn't enough.

Stairwayto7
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Thats a big F*** You to Lerner if he takes it, lol.

edit:
lol.. the Browns want to talk to Man-gina (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800515) now. Guess one ex-Patsie coach wasn't enough.

Well they had belichek, then romeo, so I guess they like the kraft boys

Dean Denton
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
He will fail unless he takes Dick with him to run the Def. He will find its a lot different coaching for someone other than the Rooney's. He should just come back and coach our OL. All that he has built for himself and his legacy will come crashing down and leave him demoralized and shattered. There is a reason that he had success in Pittsburgh, and it will not be the same for him with the Jets. There is only one Big Ben, and Ben will not be leaving to join him in his quest for reclaimed glory. Coupled with the fact that he won early in his career, and was given some leanency for his down years. He inherited a great team from Chuck, and that will not be the case with the Jets. Bet he tries to take Steely McBean too...Sorry Bastard.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I can see Cowher going to the Jets if he indeed wants to coach again but why in the hell would you do that. You've got the cushy job as an analyst, he's a big hit doing it and he doesnt have the headaches and time to deal with in being a head coach. The Jets did stockpile a lot of talent last year spending 146 million in the offseason and all the draft picks so they have a good nucleus but with Favre's status up in the air again, man if I was Cowher I'd just stay put.

No way in hell Lebeau goes to NY with Cowher to be his DC. Dick has a great thing here in Pittsburgh and Im sure relocating and starting over is the last thing on his mind at this point in his career.

Dean Denton
12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I can see Cowher going to the Jets if he indeed wants to coach again but why in the hell would you do that. You've got the cushy job as an analyst, he's a big hit doing it and he doesnt have the headaches and time to deal with in being a head coach. The Jets did stockpile a lot of talent last year spending 146 million in the offseason and all the draft picks so they have a good nucleus but with Favre's status up in the air again, man if I was Cowher I'd just stay put.

No way in hell Lebeau goes to NY with Cowher to be his DC. Dick has a great thing here in Pittsburgh and Im sure relocating and starting over is the last thing on his mind at this point in his career.I hope your right and Dick stays with us for a few more years. Money...Thats what I think Bill is looking at. CBS doesn't pay him 8 to 10 Million, and thats a lot of cash for a coach. But with Denver open now, maybe he goes there, or him and that Dever reject team up, and take over the Lions. Oh, the magic those two could make together....lol

Troyisabeast_43
12-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I still dont think Cowher is going to coach in 2009. I think all these Jets rumors and stuff are nice but in the end I still believe Cowher will not return to the sidelines next season.

Captcoolhand
12-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I hate to be an HOS here but no way does Cowher Coach anywhere next season.....:nono:
Do your homework! Cowher is looking after family first and made it known that he would like to come back for the 2010/11 season.

Zachintosh66
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
better than Clev...

Honestly i dont care as long as he keeps his hands off our staff (coaches, players, scouts, FO personel)

jpele
12-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I think he waits another year, but money talks if he takes the job it won't be Dick LeBeau that goes with him ,but it wouldn't surprise me to see Kevin Colbert team up with Bill.

steelers4life66
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Cowher said he's not coaching next year. Not ready to come back.

BlitzburghNation
12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Well hes raising eyebrows again,,,,,,,:popcorn2:

The PR is just eating this up,,,,,,I would be shocked if he coaches anywhere this year !

If he took the jets job though :thinking:

He could turn to the east and ---- http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/smostle/smileys/mooningshrub.jpg to cleveland :lol:

lloydfan4life
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
You don't think Jerry Jones is giving Wade Phillips a free pass this year just because he feels like being a nice guy do you? :thinking:

I think Bill comes back in 2010 and so does Jerry Jones. He's hanging on to his POS coach for one more year then he'll fire him and try to buy Cowher. :stirpot:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
This does nothing but help Cowher..when he does come back which i seriously doubt will be next year he's gonna have a huge payday...The man's legend grows more and more as all these other coaches struggle..he's got to be loving it.

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
I wonder what happened in New York? One minute he said he would be interested in the Jets and now he says he's not? What's the deal???

Dean Denton
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
I wonder what happened in New York? One minute he said he would be interested in the Jets and now he says he's not? What's the deal???
I think he read my post on here and had a change of heart. He will fail in NY, and look like a fool, and a big bust...

lindseyprog
12-31-2008, 05:47 PM
This does nothing but help Cowher..when he does come back which i seriously doubt will be next year he's gonna have a huge payday...The man's legend grows more and more as all these other coaches struggle..he's got to be loving it.

I have to agree with this... he is just watching the $$$$ increase.