PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offense ranked last

BlackGold4vr
12-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Among all the playoff teams offenses we are last in total yards per game out of the 12 teams. We are 10th in rushing and 7th in passing. This is our area of concern and will be what makes or breaks this team in the playoffs. Can the offense do enough? :thinking:

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 01:42 PM
I think they can do enough. Are Def is pretty much what got us here, and it will continue this way in the playoffs. Our Off is good enough to win it all. IMO....We have Big Ben, and Willie is looking stronger right now. We should be fine. those stats are tricky, and only off by a few points here or there. Now we start over, and everyone is the same. New season starts this weekend.

popstaala
12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
defense wins championship game... all i wanted is for the offense to take a knee at the 30 yard line every time we get the ball and kick field goals all day... yes im that confident in our defense..

ejsteeler
12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Gee, there's a surprise....:evilshake:

You said it. The D will do it's part. If the O don't step it up, it will be ugly that first game cause Indy will put some points on the board in spite of our D's play. :2cents:

LarryNJ
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
You are right Defense wins championships.....BUT Offense wins games...We will need the O to win 1 game and not lose 2.

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
No No...Def wins Championships, Off scores points. they only need to be as good as they hve been. we wont face a tougher Def then the Ravens, and we beat them twice. We will be ready to go in a couple weeks....

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Our offense will need to score, we have squandered many good oppurtunities latley. Penalties have also killed us!

DBR96A
12-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Gee, there's a surprise....:evilshake:

You said it. The D will do it's part. If the O don't step it up, it will be ugly that first game cause Indy will put some points on the board in spite of our D's play. :2cents:

Colts scored 14 of their 24 points that game off short fields. Another seven points was pure luck after Ike Taylor batted away a pass and Reggie Wayne caught it anyway. Plain and simple, if we would have taken care of the ball in that game, the Colts would have scored only 10, or maybe 13, points. At least we may get a chance to redeem ourselves against them in the playoffs.

BlitzburghNation
12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I think the chargers will be our first opponent :thinking: But really don't care,,,,,if our offense or should i say 'BEN' doen't turn the ball over,we can go all the way with this "D"

Zachintosh66
12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
One and done if there isnt an effective run game...

It all goes hand in hand:
1. Bad play calling
1a. "3 steps and a pile of dust" weather its a draw or dive up the middle on first & second down.
2. Causes Ben to try to "make things happen" on 3rd down
2a. Runs for his life b/c Stapleton, Starks and Colon shouldnt even be on the team!
2b. gets sacked or hit and shaken up
2c. forces the ball where he prolly shouldnt

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Our offense will need to score, we have squandered many good oppurtunities latley. Penalties have also killed us!

It's funny that if you look at our redzone scoring percentages we're near the top of the league but it's misleading because while we do score in the redzone it's more FG's than TD's. That's ok in the playoffs if you have a great defense like we do but this offense has go to get it together in the redzone and keep the pressure off the defense. Easier said then done when you're running game is struggling. Which btw makes you wonder why in God's name we aren't using more TE's in the red zone and we always run the same plays. I know Heath is money in the redzone but man I've seen Spaeth wide open in the back of the endzone many times this year virtually uncovered and yet we never throw to him.

popstaala
12-31-2008, 12:58 AM
all of the games we lost this season are mostly from points after turnovers... like i said before i just our offense to take a knee every time they get a short field and kick field goals... in long field situation.. just get out of our 20 yard line and punt for field position... the defense will most likely stop the other team, force a turnover, or hold em to a field goal... i cant stand our offense turning the ball over giving the other team good field positions or turning the ball over on our 1 yard line...

Scalaid6
12-31-2008, 10:16 AM
I would mention WHO did all the turnovers but people are soooo sensitive

Captcoolhand
12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
I would mention WHO did all the turnovers but people are soooo sensitive
:scratch:

steelers4life66
12-31-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm sticking to my guns about the running game. If we get it going everything else will take care of its self including the turn overs.:2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2009, 03:26 AM
From the PG... (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09001/939015-66.stm)

When the Steelers came out in the I-formation and ground down the Browns with their running game, the appearance was that using a fullback finally re-established the run.
But those appearances can be deceiving, according to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who has been the favorite target of those believing that smash-mouth football was like an old acquaintance that had been forgotten.
"There was nothing new in that ballgame that we haven't done all season. It just appeared that way because of the lead and the score," Arians said.
But what about the 100-yard game by the rejuvenated Willie Parker sprung by the blocks of Sean McHugh?
"The success was not so much due to the I-formation. Willie's TD was the same touchdown run he had in the Super Bowl -- one back, the exact same play. The six or seven plays we ran out of the I, two of which worked, we've run them all year," he added.
Public opinion to the contrary, there was no loss of confidence in the running game, Arians said.
"Each game is different. Once we got a 14-point lead, there wasn't any sense in not taking the air out of the ball. We weren't playing Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or anybody else that puts points on the board. That dictates what you do also. If you run, run, run and punt, it's not going to matter. Whenever we've had double-digit leads, you're going to see 30 runs in the second half. We haven't had many of them," he said.
Yesterday was one of those days that lends appreciation to an indoor practice building. At various times during the day, there was lightning, thunder, snow, blustery winds and hazardous black ice. It was almost as if Father Time was throwing his snowshoes at the year gone by.
But it was also a time of transition from the old to the new, from the end of one year and the beginning of another, from the end of the regular season to preparation for the playoffs. In Roman mythology, the symbol of that transition was the two-headed god Janus, who could see ahead and look back at the same time and whose name lends itself to the month of January.
Fans of the Steelers look back to their glory days and think of running the football, especially in the playoffs when it's critical to control the clock and avoid turnovers. But the Steelers don't have a big back like Jerome Bettis, so it's prudent to look ahead to what they can look forward to.
And it is with a combination of amusement and annoyance that Arians fields questions about formations and game plans.
"That's football," Arians said. "It's different in Pittsburgh because people believe that if you run it 30 times you automatically win. I was here for the Super Bowl [as the receivers coach]. I think people forget that. I was in all those game plan meetings. We were out to score points, and get them as fast as we could, then see if we could run it. [Ben Roethlisberger] won for us offensively."
Some of the discussion about the running game has come from within. Parker described the performance as "a get-right game."
"We can run the football. It's just a matter of doing it," said Parker, who missed last January's playoff loss to Jacksonville with a broken leg.
The Steelers are 22-3 when Parker runs for 100 yards. And even when the Steelers struggled at times, no one on the offensive line lost confidence in their ability to run the ball.
"For everybody else on the outside looking through the looking glass, they said, oh, the running game is finally back," said Max Starks. "But it's always been there."
There would be no better time than the playoffs to showcase it.
"We've run the ball satisfactorily," Arians said. "Not great, but satisfactorily."