View Full Version : Cowher says "NO" to browns! Hah

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Monday December 29, 2008, 10:39 AM

AP Photo

Browns fire GM Phil Savage
Chat wrap: Tony Grossi on the changes
Jets fire Mangini

BEREA - Browns owner Randy Lerner said today that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told him he was not interested in joining the Browns.
Lerner met with the media this morning to announce that Romeo Crennel has been fired as head coach.

Speculation for his replacement had been centered on Cowher for several weeks, but Lerner said Monday that he met with Cowher on Saturday night and that Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time.

Lerner said he's already asked for permission to talk to New England Patriots Executive Vice President Scott Pioli and that he'll focus on the general manager role next.

Lerner also said he's receiving permission to talk to another unnamed NFL exec. He appeared interested when informed that Eric Mangini had been fired by the New York Jets this morning. Mangini, a former Browns employee, worked with Pioli in New England.

Crennel, 61, was fired after going 24-40 in his four seasons at Browns head coach. He had three years left on his contract, which had been extended in January after he guided the Browns to a 10-6 record and just missed the playoffs.

But things fell apart this season, starting with injuries to several key players, including quarterback Derek Anderson and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, both Pro Bowl performers the previous season.

Midway through the season Crennel benched Anderson in favor of Brady Quinn, but the struggles continued, especially after Quinn suffered a broken finger that ended his season. Anderson returned and promptly suffered a season-ending knee injury. With Ken Dorsey and free agent Bruce Gradkowski at quarterback, the Browns failed to scored an offensive touchdown over the final six games, establishing an NFL record, and finished with 4-12, marking the fifth time in the past six years that they had at least 10 losses.

Throughout the season Browns players voiced their support of Crennel.

Crennel came to the Browns after several seasons as defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick. He has been part of five Super Bowl championships with the Patriots and New York Giants.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
No shocker here...Cowher is no idiot. :nono:There is no way he could of put up with punks like Winslow and the rest of the Clowns.I thought maybe he would have come back with the Chiefs. He's a good coach and will re-surface sooner or later..it's in his blood.

LarryNJ
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Way to go Bill! F the Browns!

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time.

What's the under and over for the amount of times he is mentioned for other jobs in the next 3 months? :)

ejsteeler
12-29-2008, 12:38 PM
....the Browns failed to scored an offensive touchdown over the final six games, establishing an NFL record, and finished with 4-12, marking the fifth time in the past six years that they had at least 10 losses.

:lol: Man, do those clowns suck, or what? :lol:

If I start feeling really spiteful, I may go dig up some of the threads from earlier this year when all the clown trolls were spouting off from the mouth about how great they are and how far they were going to make it this year....:hilarious:

This is the Clowns Year! :markit: :haha:

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Way to go Bill! F the Browns!

What's the under and over for the amount of times he is mentioned for other jobs in the next 3 months? :)

I hear ya. Glad he said no.

Captcoolhand
12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
He made it known to the media and everyone that he doesn't want to coach come the 2009 season.
BUT....Will like to come back(somewhere) in 2010.

IMO, Basicly, he wants his prior contract with the Steelers to end before he decides to go somewhere else.....:stirpot:

lloydfan4life
12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Way to go Bill!!!

Iron City South
12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Cowher officially tells the Browns, "NO THANKS" ...... :cope:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80dbc86e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Cowher tells Browns he’s not interested in job
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter

In his first attempt to upgrade his franchise for next season, Browns owner Randy Lerner already has been rebuffed.

Lerner was in New York on Saturday to meet with and to try to persuade former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher to come to Cleveland. But Lerner apparently got the same message that this space has been reporting since the beginning of the season.

Cowher is not interested in coaching in 2009.

As much as Lerner tried to convince Cowher to come to Cleveland, he could not do it. Cowher just is not mentally ready to return to the sidelines in 2009, and he is expected to give the same answer to any other team that comes calling — i.e., the New York Jets.

Last year Cowher rejected the Redskins overtures to become Washington’s head coach, now he’s done the same to Cleveland. Finally people are starting to believe that Cowher means what he says — No coaching in ‘09.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Really who cares if Bill Cowher wanted to be the HC of the Browns.....Sure it would have been weird to Bill Cowher along the side lines of the Cleveland Browns.....But it would be no different to me then seeing Rod Woodson in a 49er or Ravens uniform.....

LarryNJ
12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
He made it known to the media and everyone that he doesn't want to coach come the 2009 season.
BUT....Will like to come back(somewhere) in 2010.

IMO, Basicly, he wants his prior contract with the Steelers to end before he decides to go somewhere else.....:stirpot:

That's an interesting point I never thought of. How does that benefit him?

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 04:22 PM

I don`t know if it does??? He quit, he didn`t get fired! I guess we would have the rights to him maybe! But we aren`t paying him!

Koopa
12-29-2008, 04:43 PM
cowher said no cause he would have been exposed for the ****** coach that he really is..............

Koopa
12-29-2008, 04:46 PM

if he waits his team doesn't lose draft picks for compensation

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Cowher is not idiot, he's got a good gig now being a commentator. Im sure Kay is pretty happy with having him around more now and isn't ready for him to go back to 18 hr days and traveling and pressures that come with being a coach. Honestly I don't know that he'll ever want to come back to coaching, if I was him why would you?

If he did go to Cleveland you can bet he'd clean house and get rid of Winslow in a hurry and anyone else on that team that's a me first guy.

BlitzburghNation
12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm really :banana: he turned down them STAINS,,,,,but i really didn't think he'd go anywhere anyways,,,,,,according to Pat Kirwin he's happy where's he's at for at least another year.

Ambridge
12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
There was a report on the ESPN NFL Ticker that Cowher has agreed to talk to the New York Jets.

KSSteelerfan
12-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Good for the Chin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02::cope::cope:

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM
There was a report on the ESPN NFL Ticker that Cowher has agreed to talk to the New York Jets.

I just saw that, how funny, now Randy Lerner looks like an idiot!