PDA

View Full Version : Nate Washington: Will He Stay or Will He Go

Captcoolhand
12-29-2008, 10:15 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have their work cut out for them this upcoming offseason. They need to find a way to fix their terrible offensive line, reconsider the position of Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator, and most importantly offer a new contract to will-be free agent Nate Washington.

In April, the Steelers gave fourth-year receiver Nate Washington a one-year contract worth $1.4 million. Ten days later, they picked Limas Sweed during the second round of the NFL draft and signed him to a $3.2 million contract that will lock him up for four years.

Most people had speculated that Sweed would be quickly worked into the offense and replace Washington as the third receiver. So far, that has not happened.
In 10 games, Sweed has six catches for 64 yards. Not very impressive for a second-round pick. Whether his lack of playing time is due to difficulty adapting to the NFL or a decision by coach Mike Tomlin is unknown.

It is know, though, that something needs to change. The Steelers do not draft players that high and give them million-dollar contracts to warm the bench.

Nate Washington is having a very good season with 39 catches for 618 yards and three touchdowns. His stats are close to those of the St. Louis Rams starting WR Torry Holt.

Given the above information, it is very obvious that Pittsburgh needs to offer Washington a new contract. The Steelers have passed the ball 479 times this year and ran 425 times. If this holds true next season, then Washington will be a very huge asset to the team.

Coach Mike Tomlin will turn 37 in March. The only gift he should be hoping for is that Washington will stay loyal to the team that drafted him and not sign with another franchise. For the sake of our offense, let's all What's up with Sweed? Is this dude going to make it in the NFL or what. Seems like the more I hear about him, the more he shows that he's still playing in College.:duh:
His pentalty ratio to catches is like 5/1.:banging: What's up with that?

IMO, Nates no superstar player but he has definitly has improved this year. I wouldn't mind keeping Washington around. At least until Sweed proves that he belongs here.

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I`ve seen nothing from Sweed so far, only penalties. He is tall, but very skinny. Why can`t we draft a big, wr? Washington is good, but just good in my opinion. I would make an offer, but not to big. Holmes is another one, he is good, but he makes great player money, he does`nt deserve that kind of $$.

Arians has to go.

The O-line!!!! We need to find a really good free agent. Then draft a stud first round. Second round wr.

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Sweed is a rookie, he hasn't received alot of playing time.

DIESELMAN
12-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Washington back, especially with Sweed's progress still on the other side of the hill.

Captcoolhand
12-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Washington back, especially with Sweed's progress still on the other side of the hill.
You sure you're not confusing that large hill with a mountain....:thinking:

Rookie or not these Stats suck.....

G|GS|Rec|Yds|Avg|Lng|TD|Att|FUM|Lost
11|0|6|64|10.7|17|0|--|2|1

Bucsfan4ever
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
This is why I don't understand the way they figure a rookie's salary...more often than not, they are paid much more than proven veterans...ain't fair!!

AZ_Steeler
12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
It's also a known that the Steelers don't throw a rookie in there unless they absolutely have too! Sweed will come along soon enough as Holmes did, plus there wasn't really much room for Sweed with the emergence of Washington who isn't that great but yet comes out smelling like a rose some how all the time...

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
This is why I don't understand the way they figure a rookie's salary...more often than not, they are paid much more than proven veterans...ain't fair!!

So true, the the vets feel under paid, for good reason, then the entire salary cap suffers

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-29-2008, 12:22 PM
It'd be nice to keep Nate a Steeler..but he's not worth throwing big money at, That offensive line needs to be the main focus this off-season you can always find a plug and play WR to fill in for the 3rd or 4th guy..Hopefully Sweed develops in this off season and takes that 3rd spot.The reciever core will struggle as a whole again next year if we don't get that O-Line straightened up quick,fast and in a hurry.

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 12:27 PM
It'd be nice to keep Nate a Steeler..but he's not worth throwing big money at, That offensive line needs to be the main focus this off-season you can always find a plug and play WR to fill in for the 3rd or 4th guy..Hopefully Sweed develops in this off season and takes that 3rd spot.The reciever core will struggle as a whole again next year if we don't get that O-Line straightened up quick,fast and in a hurry.

Couldn`t agree more! But we will need a No.2 eventually, Ward is not a youngster, so we need to start looking now.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Sweed is a rookie, he hasn't received alot of playing time.

The fact is we have no legit 3rd WR without Nate; Sweed is young and needs time. It's going to take him another 1-2 years before he's comfortable in this system and is able to be counted on to consistently make plays.

If Nate will come back for a reasonable amount then sign him but I suspect he's going to test the FA market and if he can get a job as a starter he'll bolt.

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Sweed and Washington will be 3 and 4 next year. and they will be the best 3 and 4 in the league.

Ambridge
12-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I know Sweed is a rookie but he has Dumb-*** written all over him.
Nate Washington pisses me off when he drops the ball but I think he's got to stick around in the offense.

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I know Sweed is a rookie but he has Dumb-*** written all over him.
Nate Washington pisses me off when he drops the ball but I think he's got to stick around in the offense. I get pissed when anyone drops the ball. I'm not ready to count Sweed out just yet. I think he'll be ready to go next year. Both of our picks will be ready to go.

Scalaid6
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I think Nate should be starting over "Sirsmokealot" Holmes. We gotta try to keep Nate.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I think Nate should be starting over "Sirsmokealot" Holmes. We gotta try to keep Nate.

I think maybe you need to put down the doobie and step away from the keg dude..haha; starting Washington over Holmes? Have you seen how many balls he drops? Nate is as inconsistent as it gets. He makes the circus catch followed up by a drop in his hands. It's been his MO since he got here. Now he has gotten better this year somewhat so I will credit him some and if he comes back it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for us but having start over Santonio??? no way!

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
yeah, no way. But I was pissed about the weed. I'm ok now though...

DanRooney
12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
You guys got to take things in perspective. The big three have done little to nothing (Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed). The other two play on the Redskins and we have a similar known as "no points offense." The only good rookie WR is Deshaun Jackson and that's because there is no other receivers on that team.

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 07:52 PM
You guys got to take things in perspective. The big three have done little to nothing (Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed). The other two play on the Redskins and we have a similar known as "no points offense." The only good rookie WR is Deshaun Jackson and that's because there is no other receivers on that team.
No, the reason Jackson is good is because he's from the Pac 10....Those bitches can haul ***....

Scalaid6
12-29-2008, 07:57 PM
I think maybe you need to put down the doobie and step away from the keg dude..haha; starting Washington over Holmes? Have you seen how many balls he drops? Nate is as inconsistent as it gets. He makes the circus catch followed up by a drop in his hands. It's been his MO since he got here. Now he has gotten better this year somewhat so I will credit him some and if he comes back it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world for us but having start over Santonio??? no way!

Holmes|55|821|5 tds
Nate|40|631|3 tds

The backup is all over him. Yes Nate drops balls but so does Holmes, Hines. You get on Nate for drops and excuse picks? I'd rather have the drops. I think Nate runs better routes and gets open more. Holmes runs some of the WORST routes on the team. Santonio also fumbles alot (special teams as well) it seems like his hands are too small or something.

--- Added 12/29/2008 at 05:57 PM ---

No, the reason Jackson is good is because he's from the Pac 10....Those bitches can haul ***....

And also known to drop a pass or two. Pac 10? Its all about the Big 12 baby! GO SOONERS!!

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Holmes|55|821|5 tds
Nate|40|631|3 tds

The backup is all over him. Yes Nate drops balls but so does Holmes, Hines. You get on Nate for drops and excuse picks? I'd rather have the drops. I think Nate runs better routes and gets open more. Holmes runs some of the WORST routes on the team. Santonio also fumbles alot (special teams as well) it seems like his hands are too small or something.

Man, USC would stomp a Sooner ***....And the only reason holmes has been off on his routes is because he's smokin weed before games...lol

And also known to drop a pass or two. Pac 10? Its all about the Big 12 baby! GO SOONERS!!
Man, USC would stomp a Sooner ***....And the only reason holmes has been off on his routes is because he's smokin weed before games...lol

Scalaid6
12-29-2008, 08:13 PM

It would be a good game your defense is better but our qb is WAY better. Had you guys not lost to MY alma matter. BEAVERS! Then maybe we could see whod win.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
When Holmes has missed some games this year or last year and Nate stepped into his role opposite Hines he was not the same. He can't get out of the double team and just gets swallowed up whereas Santonio is able to atleast beat it and get open some of the time. Hines and & Santonio are a good compliment; I am far from convinced that Nate is capable stepping into a starring role right now. I'd be all for it if he does and I'll cheer him on as much as any Steeler player but here is no way Im taking Nate over Santonio right now.

Steelersfan
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Holmes|55|821|5 tds
Nate|40|631|3 tds

WOW, you just can't get over that can you? You make a good post (something that will strike conversation) and ruin by going back to the same ole thing.

Scalaid6
12-29-2008, 08:29 PM
WOW, you just can't get over that can you? You make a good post (something that will strike conversation) and ruin by going back to the same ole thing.

Same thing? Its a fact? How come the Jets arent in the playoffs? TURNOVERS. How about the Cowboys? TURNOVERS, how about the Broncos? TURNOVERS. How about the Jags? TURNOVERS.
Now look at the Dolphins in contrast. They are successful because of the LACK of them. Sorry if the truth hurts but turnovers kill ANY team and cant be excused. Thats why I prefer Nate or Holmes. They both drop the ball (thats a wash) but Nate doesnt turn the ball over, nor does he run undisciplined routes. One of Bens picks vs the Colts goes on Bens stats but it was ALL Holmes for running a lazy route. This KILLS us. If you havent gathered by now I HATE TURNOVERS.

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 08:29 PM
It would be a good game your defense is better but our qb is WAY better. Had you guys not lost to MY alma matter. BEAVERS! Then maybe we could see whod win.
YES IT WOULD BE A GOOD GAME. However, I take USC over anyone else. Yes, you have a much better QB, but it wouldn't matter. As much as I love Penn State, they are going to get embarrassed in that Rose Bowl. USC will beat them by 3 or 4 scores. Same thing would happen to the Sooners, Gators, Bama, or anyone else that they would play. USC only seems to lose to other Pac 10 teams. This debate could go on forever, and it will until they get a playoff system. Maybe if the Pac 10 slows down they will think about it.

Steelersfan
12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Same thing? Its a fact? How come the Jets arent in the playoffs? TURNOVERS. How about the Cowboys? TURNOVERS, how about the Broncos? TURNOVERS. How about the Jags? TURNOVERS.
Now look at the Dolphins in contrast. They are successful because of the LACK of them. Sorry if the truth hurts but turnovers kill ANY team and cant be excused. Thats why I prefer Nate or Holmes. They both drop the ball (thats a wash) but Nate doesnt turn the ball over, nor does he run undisciplined routes. One of Bens picks vs the Colts goes on Bens stats but it was ALL Holmes for running a lazy route. This KILLS us. If you havent gathered by now I HATE TURNOVERS.

Same thing = Ben and picks Doesn't need to be in every thread and has nothing to do with the truth hurting.

I do agree with you on the TO's. If the Steelers don't turn the ball over they win. Last year it was Parker and the special teams turning it over. It needs to stop period. And for the record, I'm not sold on Holmes or Washington. I don't see either one taking Wards spot as the go to WR on this team.

Scalaid6
12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
YES IT WOULD BE A GOOD GAME. However, I take USC over anyone else. Yes, you have a much better QB, but it wouldn't matter. As much as I love Penn State, they are going to get embarrassed in that Rose Bowl. USC will beat them by 3 or 4 scores. Same thing would happen to the Sooners, Gators, Bama, or anyone else that they would play. USC only seems to lose to other Pac 10 teams. This debate could go on forever, and it will until they get a playoff system. Maybe if the Pac 10 slows down they will think about it.

I disagree I think we smash SC especially after what they did to us about 3 years ago. Sam is the difference.

--- Added 12/29/2008 at 06:45 PM ---

Same thing = Ben and picks Doesn't need to be in every thread and has nothing to do with the truth hurting.

I do agree with you on the TO's. If the Steelers don't turn the ball over they win. Last year it was Parker and the special teams turning it over. It needs to stop period. And for the record, I'm not sold on Holmes or Washington. I don't see either one taking Wards spot as the go to WR on this team.

Its not in every thread its in about 4 or 5 and if Ben stops throwing them Scalaid has nothing to say correct?
Remember Hines had to develop too he wasnt good at 1st but he learned from Vets. Damn I'm drawing a blank... Who did Hines learn from? Yancy? Charles Johnson? Seems like they were there before him. Yancy was in the super bowl with that wr who shredded his knee in the bowl (name escapes me) That Georgia wr had about 12 receptions in the game (Hastings). Cant recall who were our receivers before Hines

Steelersfan
12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I disagree I think we smash SC especially after what they did to us about 3 years ago. Sam is the difference.

--- Added 12/29/2008 at 06:45 PM ---

Its not in every thread its in about 4 or 5 and if Ben stops throwing them Scalaid has nothing to say correct?
Remember Hines had to develop too he wasnt good at 1st but he learned from Vets. Damn I'm drawing a blank... Who did Hines learn from? Yancy? Charles Johnson? Seems like they were there before him. Yancy was in the super bowl with that wr who shredded his knee in the bowl (name escapes me) That Georgia wr had about 12 receptions in the game (Hastings). Cant recall who were our receivers before Hines

I don't think Ward learned much from any of them. I believe Yancy was gone before Hines got there and I doubt Johnson, Hasting, Hawkins or whomever the hell was there could teach him that much being they weren't all that great themselves. Maybe Troy Edwards or Blackwell taught him all he knew before they left......lol

NCSteeler
12-30-2008, 02:07 AM
I think Washington leaves and Baker finally steps up along with Sweed having a much improved 2nd year(hell the guy hardly saw the field this year). Anyone remember Holmes played in every game as a rookie, that help his development and the opposite has hindered Sweeds, but we needed Holmes more in 2006 then we needed Sweed this year. Hell minus Hines you can replace all of them for all I care. They are never open, seem to have no timing with Ben.

Stairwayto7
12-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Holmes|55|821|5 tds
Nate|40|631|3 tds

I do agree that Holmes is over rated. His size is the biggest reason he gets jammed at the line. I do no think that we have a legit No.1 receiver! Do we?

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-30-2008, 04:56 PM

Yeah , get rid of our best punt returner. Now that makes a lot of sense.

steelcityrockers
12-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Holmes was very raw coming out of OSU and ran some sloppy routes. He has vastly improved and is better in every phase of the game than Washington, although Washington is faster. Santonio also has not had a fumble problem since the begining of his rookie year. Nate is a one trick pony. He is a singular deep threat, and a good one, but not a whole heck of a lot more than that. People like Scalaid6 are why I rarely visit this site. Anywho, Washington is tricky to place in terms of market value. He still has awesome upside due to his measureables, but there are many flaws in his game play. Notably, a lack of focus which is part of the reason for his drop problems (by the way, his are more notorious because he drops more with less targets) and not so crisp route running.

popstaala
12-31-2008, 02:10 AM
i say we keep him... nate made alot of game changing plays this year... that is what rookies do to veterens... they make them work hard... and nate earned his place... and for sweed... who knows if hes going to be our randy moss next year... i say we keep him and push him hard on the weight room... and for christ sake teach him how to catch.

SteelerSteve
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
yeah, no way. But I was pissed about the weed. I'm ok now though... Hell, everyone needs to kick back and relax sometimes. It doesn't bother me at all that he blazes up every now and then, it just bothers me if he misses playing time because of it. Keep it on the down low holmes.

steelers4life66
12-31-2008, 01:36 PM
They need to hang on to Nate for at lest one more year and get Sweeds butt in the game to find out if he's going to sink our swim. B A needs to go!

Prosdo
01-02-2009, 12:58 AM
They need to hang on to Nate for at lest one more year and get Sweeds butt in the game to find out if he's going to sink our swim. B R needs to go!

I agree. I really do hope Sweed works out because Nate is way too inconsistent.

augustashark
01-02-2009, 04:47 AM
The biggest thing that bothers me about washington is his toughness. I feel that Holmes is pretty tough and is not afraid to stick his head into a pile to gain more yards. Ward, we all know what he can do, it's just that washington seems to make a catch and wants to go straight to the ground. I want tough WR's and will fight for every inch.