PDA

View Full Version : Playing the starters was the right call!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Say what you want about Benís injury in this game, whether or not it was important or not but the fact is the starters needed to play in this game. Itís not like weíre the Colts offense or somebody else who can score points at will and have a solid running game. We could not afford to sit everyone and go into the playoffs with a 2 game losing streak. Make no mistake the Browns came into this game wanting to win and beat their divisional rival. Sitting starters for really what amounts to nearly 3 weeks is not a good idea. You get out of sync, stale, flat and with the post season you canít afford that.

Football is a violent game, anything can happen at any time. They always say you are one game away from the end of your career at any given time so itís not like you can look into a crystal ball and see something like this happening. If we didnít have a bye week then yeah maybe you sit your guys but in a game where you have a week off already you had to play them. Itís a risk you take just stepping onto the football field.

Scalaid6
12-28-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree it was the right call to play the starters. The NY Giants are in the same situation as we are (facing 2weeks rest) and Coughlin played Eli the 1st half as he should. Ben needs to learn to get rid of the ball and that injury would not have happened. I hope he is well and resting. I wish injury on nobody but lets look on the bright side, the turf at Heinz fieild is grass and thats a plus.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Ben is not going to change his ways and Tomlin is not going to make him. We've had this discussion a million times. Ben is not going to get rid of the ball quicker, he's not going to stop trying to make plays right up until the last minute. He is who he is and we've won a ton of games because of it.

Ben and the offense needed the work and the defense got some good work in and was able to come through with the shutout. Coughlin had the right idea last year and it worked out for him; I think more teams will follow this line of thinking in similar situations in the future.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't fault Tomlin at all for not resting most of his starter but at the same time I wouldn't have cared if he rested them all in a meaningless game....He is the HC of the team and is paid to make those choices and in my opinion either way would have been ok with me.....It just sucks that Ben was injured and that is going to cause some fans to scream see Ben shouldn't have played......

Troyisabeast_43
12-28-2008, 04:50 PM
The offense at least got the running game going somewhat which possibly might give it a boost going into the playoffs in a few weeks. The defense had a huge bounce back game from last week aside from allowing more yards then they should have with Lewis they were solid all the way across the board. I agree playing the starters was the way to go and gaining a shutout going into the postseason I think is a good way to close things out...Time for the real season to begin in two weeks fellas...

Ambridge
12-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey!!
We've seen what's happened the past few seasons to teams that have decided to rest starters prior to the playoffs(Tampa Bay and Indianapolis)....they get bounced in the first round or their first divisional round game.

Playing full-tilt winning football is not something that can be turned on and off like a light switch.
Everybody should be playing all out...all of the time...all 16 games!!

Who knows....if Byron Leftwich takes the Steelers to the promised land if Ben can't play then it could be said that Ben going down was a blessing in disguise.

steelerschick1220
12-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I have no problem with ben playing. Our offense has been bad at timesthis year and who knows what we would have looked like if our starters had three weeks of rest. Good to hear we got the running game going even if it was agianst the Browns.

jpele
12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
I disagree. We'll be off next week so playing starters today was of no value to the team. This has nothing to do with the injury to Ben,its more common sense.

Ben and a few other players were hurt coming into the game and needed the rest more than the repetitions.

If you think about it , we won our first game of the season and our game after the bye, what value did todays game have ?

PsychoWard
12-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Hell yeah it was the right call It was nice to see Willie finally run like we all know he can!!! and not to mention heath had some big catches!! Defiantly the right call players can get hurt any given Sunday i don't fault Tomlin at all! Plus Ben is one of the toughest quarterbacks i have ever seen he will be back!!!

Iron City South
12-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, convince yourself all you want that playing Ben was the right thing to do ... it won't change the answer ....

It was WRONG.... very wrong. You NEVER want your starting QB to take a concussion a week before going into the playoffs. The implications from this concussion could be profound in a very negative sense.

Beating up on the hapless Browns and feeling good about it is like the school yard bully picking on the 8 year old and taking his lunch money then bragging about it.

TampaSteelGirl
12-28-2008, 07:18 PM
It is what it is.....Ben played, got hurt, now we have to move on period!

DanRooney
12-28-2008, 07:30 PM
No it wasn't the right call. Ben is probably going to look even worse than he is now when he comes back. Hes going to look scared to get hit and its probably going to cost us in the divisional round. Do you remember last time he suffered a concussion?

LarryNJ
12-28-2008, 07:31 PM
I think everyone who said before the game they should play still thinks that was the right thing to do. It has nothing to do with beating up the Browns. They haven't been playing well and needed to get into some kind of a groove. I think it worked even if Ben can't play in 2 weeks.

Ambridge
12-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Holy Crap!!
I believe every Starting QB on every playoff bound team started and played to some extent today.
It's football and injuries are always a risk in Every game.

Ben and this offense needed work and I don't care if they were playing against a high school team....and if the Browns were so hapless then the offense should have helped put this game away very early and then the starters should have been slowly pulled out.

SteelFanInIL
12-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Holy Crap!!
I believe every Starting QB on every playoff bound team started and played to some extent today.

Ben and this offense needed work and I don't care if they were playing against a high school team....and if the Browns were so hapless then the offense should have helped put this game away very early and then the starters should have been slowly pulled out.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: um...I agree . Give him some goodys and a week off...this is the same guy who came back from a bad motorcycle accident, an appendectomy and more sacks in two seasons than most quaterbacks feel in four. I have faith, he'll be alright. I'm not happy he got hurt, but I think he'll be good to go.

steelerschick1220
12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Holy Crap!!

I also agree. Playing him was the right thing to do.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Holy Crap!!

Yeah everybody who's in the playoffs today played atleast some, the days of sitting all your starters are behind us. You'll always pull some players for various reasons but in the end you can only dress 45 guys so there's not that much room for substitutions.

Iron City South
12-28-2008, 09:40 PM
You don't put your $100+ million dollar QB in a meaningless game against a bitter division rival ..... it's really that simple. Browns had nothing to lose .... we did.

Barring any decision to keep Arians around after this year, Tomlin's decision to play BR today could very well go down as his biggest blunder of the year. It was sheer greed and arrogance on Tomlin's part .... nothing more.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
So you'd rather have a Roethlisberger who has sat for 3 weeks before playing the divisional game than one who was out on the field today working the offense and staying in that game mentality that you need in the post season. It's football, **** like this happens unfortunately it's just part of the game. Tomlin won't second guess himself on this one and the fans shouldn't either. Playing the starters was the right thing to do given our current state on offense IMO.

Iron City South
12-29-2008, 06:27 AM
So you'd rather have a Roethlisberger who has sat for 3 weeks before playing the divisional game than one who was out on the field today working the offense and staying in that game mentality that you need in the post season. It's football, **** like this happens unfortunately it's just part of the game. Tomlin won't second guess himself on this one and the fans shouldn't either. Playing the starters was the right thing to do given our current state on offense IMO.

Stop the nonsense already .....

You do realize that Roethlisberger has been playing football since he's been 10 years old right? .... Because what I'm hearing from you is that playing another 40 snaps in this game was somehow going to make him a better QB a few weeks from now. Sorry, that simply isn't true. For Christ sakes, these guys are professionals .... and BR is a veteran one at that!! Veterans don't forget how to play if you give them a few weeks off.

At this point of the season when teams are run down and battered, you NEED to give them time off to rest physically and mentally. Additionally, you make it sound as if Ben won't be taking any practice snaps from now until the playoff game which simply isn't true. They practice daily ....

For the simple reason that you stated .... "**** like this happens" .... should have been the very reason Tomlin sat BR and went with Lefty for the last meaningless game of the season. It's called "COMMON SENSE" .... :yesnod:

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree. The starters needed to play. Tomlin made the right move.

Ambridge
12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
You don't put your $100+ million dollar QB in a meaningless game against a bitter division rival ..... it's really that simple. Browns had nothing to lose .... we did.

Good thing you're not a head coach because Jake Delhomme, Peyton and Eli Manning, Kurt Warner and Kerry Collins all played in meaningless games yesterday.

Is guess Tony Dungy more stupid than Mike Tomlin for playing Peyton Manning against the Titans a "Bitter" division opponent who might take a cheap shot on Manning and who they could possibly see again in the playoffs???

Dungy learned the hard way about resting starters.

KSSteelerfan
12-29-2008, 05:45 PM
I guess from all the replies that I have read it's darned if you do play Ben and darned if you don't. Suffice it to say that everyone is entitled to their opinion on whether it was a good idea to play BBR or not.

Ben's injured...it was Tomlin's call and Tomlin has to live with the result of that decision. Having also said that, at least we know that we have a capable backup in Byron. If we had not had Byron as a backup and a younger less experienced QB backing up Ben, then this might be a whole different discussion on whether it had been a good idea to play Ben or not.

Of course then I would be dealing in hypothetical situations.:yesnod:;)

Iron City South
12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Is guess Tony Dungy more stupid than Mike Tomlin for playing Peyton Manning against the Titans a "Bitter" division opponent who might take a cheap shot on Manning and who they could possibly see again in the playoffs???

Dungy learned the hard way about resting starters.

Tony Dungy, John Fox, and Whiz all know what we already know ..... that they have a hell of a lot better O-line than we do. Manning or any of the others aren't even close to the amount of sacks that Roethlisberger took this year. Perhaps if you combine them it will come close.

....that's the difference.