PDA

View Full Version : Latest in Ben's injury in week 17

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
The hit that he took didn’t appear to be that bad considering some of the wicked shots he’s taken over his career but he did seem to his head on the turf when he went down. What we know right now is that he was on the ground for about 15 minutes, he was able to move his hands and legs while was down. They took off his facemask and put him on the backboard and he was taken off the field.

He moved his whole arm when he waved to the fans which is always a good sign. He was taken to the hospital and the Steelers are saying he has a concussion so thank God it appears to not be a serious back or neck injury at this point. We have a week off with the bye and let’s hope he’s ready to go but more importantly let’s hope and pray he makes a full recovery. Man I haven’t been that scared during a game in a long time.

In the 3rd quarter the defense was huddling on 1 knee praying for Ben, or it seemed so from what I could tell. That’s team unity you just love to see.

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/12/28/f_2c3b547954cm_6e0091d.jpg |http://img19.picoodle.com/img/img19/3/12/28/f_c98b83a807cm_8a1dc59.jpg
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/12/28/f_aa67c7720f9m_c4f1614.jpg|http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/12/28/f_2b4ecc55187m_f4c8bef.jpg
http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/12/28/f_2bdc5578c48m_5d74a1c.jpg|http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/12/28/f_f1b1001038em_413aea2.jpg

Bombhunter
12-28-2008, 04:48 PM
He'll be back..no worries...the team appears to be in good hands with Leftwich though...we'll see how this all pans out I guess.

JensK
12-28-2008, 04:51 PM
In the 3rd quarter the defense was huddling on 1 knee praying for Ben, or it seemed so from what I could tell. That’s team unity you just love to see.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but it really looked like a secondary huddle.. It was all the secondaries who stood in there together with a coach, but they could have been praying tho :thinking:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 04:58 PM
I saw a shot of 7 or 8 guys kneeling with their eyes closed and heads down with hands held so Im pretty sure they were praying or at the very least having a moment of silence.

yinzer
12-28-2008, 05:10 PM
ben is fine. i was at the game and the tackle wasn't brutal at all. lefty made it happen.

JensK
12-28-2008, 05:12 PM
I saw a shot of 7 or 8 guys kneeling with their eyes closed and heads down with hands held so Im pretty sure they were praying or at the very least having a moment of silence.

You may be right.. Dunno.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin likely anticipated starting QB Ben Roethlisberger leaving Sunday’s game against the Browns early, but not under the conditions that unfolded at Heinz Field. Roethlisberger had to be immobilized and carted off the field after suffering a concussion late during the second quarter against the Browns.

Roethlisberger was hurt with 1:48 remaining in the half when he was hit by Browns LBs D’Qwell Jackson and Willie McGinest after a pass attempt. He was down on the field and being checked by trainers for over 10 minutes, and as he stayed down, teammates began to form a circle around the area on the field. Roethlisberger, who appeared to hit the back of his head on the turf when he came down, could be seen talking and was showing some movement. One trainer near his head was holding Roethlisberger’s helmet with both hands, as is the normal precaution when players suffer concussions or head/neck injuries.

Team personnel put Roethlisberger on a stretcher, removed the face mask from his helmet and carted him off the field. Roethlisberger gave a thumbs-up to cheers from the Heinz Field crowd as he was carted to the locker room. Byron Leftwich replaced Roethlisberger at quarterback.

nfl.com

Steel Trap86
12-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Ya I hope he recovers quick because they need to start prepping for the playoffs! Reg season is over, no more weak Brown teams! I dont understand how Ben, our #1 QB, couldnt get it done against a terrible Browns team and Lefty, our #2 guy, came in and went to work on them...? It is good to know that we can lean on Lefty in the Playoffs if Ben were to take another hard shot, but Big Ben really needs to step his game up man!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Just heard McFadden on the locker room show who said he heard it wasn't that serious of a concussion at this point and everything was of course just precaution. Still no official word on anything yet other than concussion diagnosis.

AZ_Steeler
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Maybe it's part of the ploy and the Steelers are going to ride this wave to have their first round opponent thinking Ben is really in that bad of shape ;)

steelersgal86
12-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I thought the same thing also that they were praying...:dunno:

Let's just hope Ben is okay...:pray:

XLJohn
12-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Do ya'll think Big B should have even played?? The game means nothing besides it was the Brownies our practice squad would have beaten them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:stirpot:

PsychoWard
12-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Just heard Cower say that tomlin says he is hopeful that ben will play in two weeks.

steelerschick1220
12-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Our offense has been horrid at times this year. So, I have no problem with Ben playing for the first half. IMO, he should take the week off and get some rest then get ready to lead us to championship number 6 next week. I think he will play. I think they would have to strap him down to keep him from playing, especially in the playoffs.

Zachintosh66
12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Dixon got in, but kinda lack luster...

I was pulling for the kid.

Ben will be fine

PsychoWard
12-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Dixon got in, but kinda lack luster...

I was pulling for the kid.

Ben will be fine

lol have to be honest with you i was pulling for him too! To me he looked pretty good in the preseason!

KSSteelerfan
12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Good to hear that Ben's injury may not be as bad as first thought. Knowing we have Byron as the Steelers backup QB, I feel really good about our chances in the playoffs, if Ben were unable to play.

TampaSteelGirl
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
From what i understand Ben was jammed under the chin and forced his helmet up and slammed his head on the grass.

LarryNJ
12-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Maybe it's part of the ploy and the Steelers are going to ride this wave to have their first round opponent thinking Ben is really in that bad of shape ;)

That's a hockey trick!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Nothing new at this point as far as news that I have heard. Hopefully no news is good news in this case.

Koopa
12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
hopefully this was what ben needed, having his head slam into a windshield made him retarded, maybe getting knocked in the head again knocked some football smarts into him

Stairwayto7
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but it really looked like a secondary huddle.. It was all the secondaries who stood in there together with a coach, but they could have been praying tho :thinking:

Jensk I agree, at first I thought they were in prayer, then I thought I saw one of them laughing. They were all db`s

BlitzburghNation
12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I was dying in my truck listening to the game on sirius ,,,,,,,,, Then i finally got the word it was a concussion,,,,,,,,two weeks should be plenty of time to comeback from this :crossfingers:

Stairwayto7
12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Do ya'll think Big B should have even played?? The game means nothing besides it was the Brownies our practice squad would have beaten them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:stirpot:

I do think Tomlin made the right call, playing Ben. With last weeks performance our offense needed a spark. He should have played one half. Since we have a week off, this was the right call. If we didn`t have a bye, then he should have sat.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
At this point if it were anything more serious than a concussion we'd have heard something by now with all the tests done on the field, in the locker room and at the hospital :crossfingers:

Tomlin did say all the tests done so far are negative which is a good sign an he is hopeful Ben will be ready for the divisional round.

AZ_Steeler
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Ben just didn't want to play today... it's a conspiracy!

Stairwayto7
12-28-2008, 10:39 PM
:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:
Ben just didn't want to play today... it's a conspiracy!

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Latest from Yahoo Sports!

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sustained a concussion while being driven into the ground by two Cleveland Browns defenders late in the second quarter of an essentially meaningless game Sunday, but is expected to be ready for the playoffs.

As Roethlisberger delivered a 4-yard pass to tight end Heath Miller over the middle, he was leveled by Willie McGinest at about shoulder level and D’Qwell Jackson at the quarterback’s knees. Roethlisberger’s head struck the ground hard as McGinest, possibly playing his final NFL game, drove him backward.

Roethlisberger moved his arms and legs and was talking before being placed onto a stretcher and then onto a cart that took him off the field. His helmet was taken apart while he was on the field, a precautionary move so his neck could be stabilized, but hospital tests revealed no additional injuries.

“All tests are negative—which is a positive,” coach Mike Tomlin said. “We are optimistic of where he is going to be (in the playoffs). The bye is going to be helpful in regards to that.”

As he was being driven off the field, Roethlisberger lifted his left arm and raised his thumb to the fans. The gesture drew a loud cheer from a crowd that stayed silent during the nearly 15 minutes Roethlisberger stayed on the turf.

The Steelers players did not huddle in a group or begin saying prayers, as teams often do when they fear a serious injury, because their trainers kept relaying information to them.

“When it starts taking long, you start to get worried and think something’s going on, but we got the update from the trainers that he had a concussion,” linebacker Larry Foote said.

Running back Willie Parker said, “We were pretty sure he was all right. He was doing all of the things they asked him to do. He didn’t have us in doubt or anything.”

The Steelers, already locked into the No. 2 spot in the AFC’s playoffs, could not improve their playoff position by beating the Browns. But Tomlin wanted Roethlisberger and the other starters to play most or part of the game— the Steelers went on to win 31-0—because they won’t play again until Jan. 10 or 11.

“It was a productive effort,” Tomlin said.

Before getting hurt, Roethlisberger was 9-of-14 for 110 yards and an interception that came after Pittsburgh had driven to a first down at the Browns 20 late in the first quarter.

Heinz Field has a grass surface, which generally is more forgiving than artificial turf when a player’s head strikes the ground.

Prosdo
12-29-2008, 09:20 AM
That was a scary 15 minutes. Glad to hear Ben should be fine.

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 09:28 AM
How many concussions has Ben had now, I pulled up part of an article form 06, where he had two within a few months

10-24) 14:34 PDT Pittsburgh (AP) --
Ben Roethlisberger's second concussion in slightly more than four months may not keep him out of the Pittsburgh Steelers' lineup Sunday or prevent him from practicing this week.
The Super Bowl-winning quarterback is questionable for Sunday's game in Oakland, but Bill Cowher sounded Tuesday very much like a coach who expects to have his starting quarterback ready to go this week.

"He had an MRI done on his brain and neck, and both of those came back normal," Cowher said. "We also did the concussion test, and we're very encouraged by the results. We'll monitor his progress as the week goes on, but again, I emphasize that we're very encouraged by where he is."

LatrobePA
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Could of been worse. If you watch # 55 lets up and catches himself as they hit the ground. Pretty classy IMO! He could of very easily driven him into the turf and prolly knock BB the F out!!

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 11:42 AM
ESPN, says he may practice this week! WOW! They are calling it a low grade concussion.

They also answered my question, Ben now has three football concussions, and one on the motorcycle!

LatrobePA
12-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll defend Ben with the best of you all, but is he a pussy? j/k LOL

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 11:55 AM
:grin1:
I'll defend Ben with the best of you all, but is he a pussy? j/k LOL

:grin1::grin1::grin1::nono::nono:

LatrobePA
12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
:grin1:

:grin1::grin1::grin1::nono::nono:

I couldn't help it! I was relieved to hear it was nothing major so poking some humor!

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 12:03 PM
I couldn't help it! I was relieved to hear it was nothing major so poking some humor!

I know, I caught on quick!

ejsteeler
12-29-2008, 01:26 PM
ESPN, says he may practice this week! WOW! They are calling it a low grade concussion.

They also answered my question, Ben now has three football concussions, and one on the motorcycle!

He's going to end up running the route of Aikman and Young only much too early in his career......

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
He's going to end up running the route of Aikman and Young only much too early in his career......
I hate to say it, but you are right. Ben will be lucky to play 10 years. Far too many hits, and now his health is in danger. He wont lat like this.

Number99
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I hate to say it, but you are right. Ben will be lucky to play 10 years. Far too many hits, and now his health is in danger. He wont lat like this.

all the more reason to make getting an o-line for next year that can block something more then a 3 yr old with an ice cream cone in one hand

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
That's a risk that any player in the NFL takes when they get drafted; for Ben it's a risk he is well aware of based on his style of play. He's not going to change his style, it's what sets him apart from other QB's in the league. The front office though needs to be proactive in getting him better blocking up front to atleast help out his cause.

Tomlin said they'll do 3 days of practice this week and then have off the weekend and come back next week.

Troyisabeast_43
12-29-2008, 02:16 PM

No need to practice him at all this week. Let him rest and let his body recover a full week from this concussion before you clear him to get back out there and practice fully next week the same week as the game.

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 02:32 PM
No need to practice him at all this week. Let him rest and let his body recover a full week from this concussion before you clear him to get back out there and practice fully next week the same week as the game. I agree. In boxing your out 1 month if you get a concussion. Ben should be out at least a week. We have seen him play after getting hid bell rung. I do not want flashes of that Oakland game from a couple years ago coming up in the playoffs.
I really dont want to see Ben face down on the grass like Young and Aikman getting the 10 count, then carted off never to return....

Dean Denton
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
It adds to the hype machine. After he gets SB MVP, the story will read," After taking a nasty hit, and being knocked from the game in week 17, Ben comes back and post the greatest numbers in playoff and SB history."...lol

ejsteeler
12-29-2008, 04:23 PM
oooh, I like those headlines..... :yesnod: :cope:

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2008, 09:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-roethlisberger&prov=ap&type=lgns

Big Ben not hospitalized following concussion

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/;_ylt=AsF.ydnBH4a1cHQCftHoC4kdsLYF) did not stay in a hospital overnight after receiving a concussion Sunday against Cleveland, but it was uncertain if he will practice this week.
Roethlisberger lay on the ground for nearly 15 minutes after being leveled by two Browns defenders and was strapped to a stretcher as he was carried off the field. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital but left after tests were concluded.
With a week off before they begin practicing for their Jan. 11 divisional playoff game, the Steelers will work out Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then take the weekend off. The Steelers expect Roethlisberger to be ready for that game but probably won’t rush him back to practice with so much time off before they play again.
When Roethlisberger sustained a concussion against Atlanta on Oct. 22, 2006, he returned a week later against Oakland but had one of the worst games of his career—throwing four interceptions, with two returned for touchdowns—during a 20-13 loss.
A week after that, Roethlisberger threw for 433 yards but was intercepted three more times during a 31-20 loss to Denver.

Roethlisberger has had at least three concussions in the last three years. He also received one during a June 2006 motorcycle accident. He was not wearing a helmet at the time.

Stairwayto7
12-29-2008, 10:43 PM
The fact that he did not stay in the hospital is encouraging!

Scalaid6
12-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Tomlin better have a quick hook. I remember that Raider game I was so mad at Cowher for not putting in batch. If he starts costing us (Jags last years playoffs). I say yank him or would you guys rather go down fighting with Ben and lose?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2008, 12:29 AM
Dude, this is not a bash Ben thread so drop it please. this is a thread about Ben's recovery and that's it. Thanks :redcool:

JensK
12-30-2008, 07:27 AM
How easily can Roethlisberger bounce back from a concussion?
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
By Jack Kelly, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was briefly hospitalized Sunday after sustaining a concussion, may be feeling fine when the Steelers play their first playoff game, but will he be thinking clearly?

Mr. Roethlisberger did not spend the night as originally planned and was up walking the halls at UPMC Presbyterian shortly after he was brought there by ambulance, according to team sources.

He was injured when his head bounced off the grass at Heinz Field when he was tackled by Cleveland linebackers Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson late in the first half of the Steelers' 31-0 victory Sunday.

Mr. Roethlisberger is expected to play when the Steelers open the playoffs Jan. 11 at Heinz Field, although it remains in question whether he will practice this week.

A concussion is caused by a blow to the head or upper body that causes the brain to shake inside the skull. Symptoms may include disorientation, confusion, dizziness, amnesia and uncoordinated hand-eye movements.

Following a concussion, there is a change in brain function that can last anywhere from 24 hours to 10 days.

A frequent consequence of concussions like the one Mr. Roethlisberger suffered in the Cleveland game is sluggishness in thinking, which can persist after physical symptoms such as headaches have dissipated.

This effect was little known before UPMC's Sports Medicine Concussion Program developed a tool for measuring the degree of impairment, and how long it lasts.

ImPACT (Immediate Post-concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) is a 20- to 25-minute video game played on a computer that tests cognitive skills such as memory and reaction time. If the athlete has taken a baseline test, a post-concussion ImPACT test can determine the extent of impairment or recovery.

Mr. Roethlisberger will have taken such a baseline test, because the National Football League requires it, and because ImPACT was developed with the Steelers in mind. In the 1990s, two neuropsychologists then affiliated with the Henry Ford Health System in Michigan, Drs. Mark Lovell and Michael "Micky" Collins, worked with Dr. Joseph Maroon, team neurosurgeon for the Steelers, to develop ImPACT. Dr. Lovell has been the director and Dr. Collins the assistant director of UPMC's pioneering Sports Medicine Concussion Program since 2000.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08365/938457-114.stm

10 days seems to be the most he needs to sit out. That leaves him with 4 days to practice (worst-case-scenario). Dunno if thats enough to prepare for a PO game :/

ejsteeler
12-30-2008, 10:32 AM
I know he did not do too well last time he came back from a concussion, but he did not come back in the playoffs with it either. Ben is a gamer regardless and he will put on a good performance. If we stick with the I-back enough to keep the other D on their toes, he will make things happen and Tampa here we come!!!!!
YEAH BABY!!!!! :cope:

kgreen
12-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Guys I'm seariously worried. I know it is just a minor concussion, but if he has any more, his career will be in jeopardy. I hope he's back, but I don't want to see him rushed on to the field. If we have to go with Byron, I geuss that's ok. Although I'd rather have Batch. I don't like Byron's release. If our line starts sucking then I am not confident in our abilities to go far. Byron lacks mobility wouldn't be able to avoid sacks long enough to find someone.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Dude, this is not a bash Ben thread so drop it please. this is a thread about Ben's recovery and that's it. Thanks :redcool:

lmao..someone has earned himself a short leash around here.:hilarious:

K Train
12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Guys I'm seariously worried. I know it is just a minor concussion, but if he has any more, his career will be in jeopardy. I hope he's back, but I don't want to see him rushed on to the field. If we have to go with Byron, I geuss that's ok. Although I'd rather have Batch. I don't like Byron's release. If our line starts sucking then I am not confident in our abilities to go far. Byron lacks mobility wouldn't be able to avoid sacks long enough to find someone.

byron showed some quick feet the other day on his 8 yard run, and he showed alot of quickness and mobility against the redskins when he played....you saying he doesnt have mobility is you basing judgement based on what you heard about him in scouting reports and from what happened to him in jacksonville not based on what hes showed us in his short time here. no one likes byrons long drawn out bazooka release but it works

ejsteeler
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
byron showed some quick feet the other day on his 8 yard run.....

:rofl: Dude, did you watch that run.....it was hilarious, especially that jump of joy at the end of it. I think he had a half inch verticle........:rofl:

Seriously though, what are we going to do, he is who we have and if Ben must sit he will have to step it up. It's been said a few times that he is playing for a career next year so he wouldn't tank it I don't think.:2cents:

K Train
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
:rofl: Dude, did you watch that run.....it was hilarious, especially that jump of joy at the end of it. I think he had a half inch verticle........:rofl:

Seriously though, what are we going to do, he is who we have and if Ben must sit he will have to step it up. It's been said a few times that he is playing for a career next year so he wouldn't tank it I don't think.:2cents:

hes not a fast guy and he might have had a half inch verticle.....but he got in didnt he, he got the job done....what more can you ask

ejsteeler
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
hes not a fast guy and he might have had a half inch verticle.....but he got in didnt he, he got the job done....what more can you ask

Only to not try and jump next time......:yellowthumb:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Only to not try and jump next time......:yellowthumb:

lol, I don't know if it was a jump or more of a celebratory gallop :taz:...either way it was funny!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2008, 12:42 AM
According to the PG today Ben was watching practice but left as soon as it was over and didn't talk to the media. I'm guessing at this point Tomlin has probably put a gag order on the subject for atleast the rest of this week.

JensK
12-31-2008, 06:29 AM

One thing is to do it against a rather banged up, demoralized Browns team. Another thing will be to do it against a defence like Ravens. They would make him wake up in 2010

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was not the only Steelers player who left Sunday's game after a blow to the head. He was the only one who left Heinz Field in an ambulance.

The other, safety Tyrone Carter, left the field briefly in the first quarter, then returned and intercepted two passes, proving there are concussions, and then there are concussions.

"Even though I had a concussion and Tyrone Carter had a concussion in the last game, it all depends on the severity of it," safety Troy Polamalu said.

Polamalu left the Oct. 19 game in Cincinnati after tackling Bengals back Cedrick Benson. He returned to practice the following Wednesday and started the next game against the New York Giants.

Roethlisberger also is likely to start the next game when the Steelers open the playoffs at home. Sources yesterday described his concussion as "mild" or "low grade," and coach Mike Tomlin would not rule out him practicing this week.

Roethlisberger watched Steelers practice yesterday, then left quickly afterward without speaking to the news media.

Tomlin said his quarterback will continue to undergo tests but sounded optimistic Roethlisberger will play Jan. 11.

"He's doing better," Tomlin said. "He's starting the process of taking the battery of tests that come after one sustains a concussion. I don't know where we are in regards to those tests. We have less urgency this time around because we don't play on Sunday, quite honestly.

"We will proceed slowly with him because we have that luxury. But we feel comfortable with where he is relative to Sunday and where he's capable of being next week in preparation for our game."

It was at least Roethlisberger's third concussion in 2 1/2 years. He suffered one in his infamous motorcycle accident in June 2006 and another in Atlanta that October. It's possible he could have had more, because not every concussion is revealed publicly by the Steelers.

Carter left Sunday's game during the Steelers' first defensive series after he tackled receiver Donte Stallworth. At the time, his return was described as questionable because of "a blow to the head."

"I was woozy a little bit, but it wasn't like a concussion or they never would have let me back in," Carter said.

He said he answered all the doctor's questions, including the play in which he was injured.

"When I hit the dude, I felt numbness in my hand a little bit and I was trying to wait for it to come back because I didn't have any feelings at first," Carter remembered. "Then, I stepped up and I was not light-headed, but I was weak. When I got to the sideline, I knew everything. It was some freaky stuff."

Polamalu's concussion in October was his second in the past three seasons and seventh confirmed since his high school days.

"I think they're excellent how they deal with concussions," he said of the Steelers. "The doctors have to clear you. You have to be really honest with the doctors."

Roethlisberger's last public concussion occurred Oct. 22, 2006, in Atlanta. He started, amidst great public debate, the following week in Oakland and threw four interceptions, two returned for touchdowns, and was sacked five times in a 30-23 loss to the Raiders.

It does not mean there will be a repeat performance this time, his teammates say.

"We're not going off with what's happened in previous years or anything like that," defensive end Brett Keisel said.

"I think he's OK. I talked to him, he's doing all right. I don't know if he's clear yet, he got his bell rung pretty good and it takes a little time to shake those bells out of your ears.

"I've had a few. I think most people who play this game get a few. He just hit hard and hit wrong. Anytime you slap your head on the back like that it's going to leave you a little fuzzy, but I think he's going to be OK."

Byron Leftwich, who replaced Roethlisberger at the end of the first half Sunday and helped the Steelers to a 31-0 victory against the Browns, took most of the snaps in practice yesterday.

"The great thing is that all the tests on him were negative, so it's just a concussion," Leftwich said. "We say 'just' because they happen every week in football. You just hope that he can respond well and come back from it and get a chance to practice and doesn't have any lingering effects from it.

"He seemed cool to me, everything seemed cool, nothing I'd put a red flag up from talking to him or anything. He's the same old Ben."

Stairwayto7
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Sounds like Ben will be fine, in time. Didn`t realize about Carters, damn he stepped up for Clark!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-03-2009, 03:59 AM
This is good news for everybody, this bye week was perfect for us. Looks like we'll be at full strength next sunday hopefully.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Ben will be ready to go on Sunday

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_605823.html

Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice Monday and said the concussion that knocked him out of the Steelers' regular-season finale won't be an issue in Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game against San Diego.
Roethlisberger said passed an ImPACT test, which the Steelers and other NFL teams use to gauge where a player is physically and mentally after sustaining a concussion, and declared himself good to go for Sunday's 4:45 p.m. game at Heinz Field.
"The next test I'm going to face is Sunday against the Chargers," Roethlisberger said. "I plan on being out there and being 100 percent and ready to go."

Dean Denton
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Ben will be ready to go on Sunday

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_605823.htmlWe will see. He said that last time, and after one half of football, you could tell he was still a little off. In boxing when you get KO'd, you have to stay out of the ring for at least 1 month. That includes sparring. Now I cant remember the last time I saw a fighter on the canvas for 15 minutes after getting his bell rung. I hope the medical staff know what they are doing by clearing Ben to play. I know there is a lot on this game, and this season, but if it were me, there is nothing you could tell me that would make me forget what really matters most in my life, and that would be my health. and my family. I guess thats why I'm not the QB for the Steelers and Ben is...

JensK
01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
He had 6 days to recover at that point, now he'll have 13, which is to prefer. He'll have a whole week of practise aswell.