PDA

View Full Version : My question made the Pittsburgh post gazette's Q&A

steelers4life66
12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
My 15 minutes of fame:lol:

Question:
Do you think it would be a good idea for the Steelers to go back to using a FB for Willie Parker to follow and use as a blocker? This one-back set doesn't seem to be working for them.
Gary Tyler, Dubois, PA
BOUCHETTE: I think they need to pick a philosophy and stick with it. They need to draft and develop players that fit that philosophy. They have done that for 25 years on defense, but on offense they have veered away from their traditional I formation, power running style on occasion, and most of the time it has not worked. The most glaring example came in 2003 when they tried to become the Tommy Gun offense, more finessee, and actually promoted Amos Zereoue over Jerome Bettis. They finished 31st in the NFL in running and their record was 6-10. There are growing pains with this new offense and they either must commit to it for the future or change it back. I believe it's too much of a hybrid as it is and it just does not work, and the stats will back me up.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08359/937453-367.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2008, 09:24 PM
It's a good question and Bouchette is right on, this team has always drafted defensive players to fit their scheme and that's why we are almost always a top 5 defense year in and year out.

We used to be that way on offense, drafting players to fit a certain style of offense, right now we don't know what kind of offense we are so we just have all these players running around trying to make plays in what turns out to be a weekly circus.

Steelersfan
12-26-2008, 09:43 PM
It's a good question and Bouchette is right on, this team has always drafted defensive players to fit their scheme and that's why we are almost always a top 5 defense year in and year out.

We used to be that way on offense, drafting players to fit a certain style of offense, right now we don't know what kind of offense we are so we just have all these players running around trying to make plays in what turns out to be a weekly circus.

You nailed it right there TG! This offense had no idea what it was all year. I can tell you what they aren't.......... a run first offense! (even though Bruce thinks they are for some reason).

DIESELMAN
12-26-2008, 10:25 PM
You nailed it right there TG! This offense had no idea what it was all year. I can tell you what they aren't.......... a run first offense! (even though Bruce thinks they are for some reason).
We definitely need an identity.....as long as Arians is our OC, we won't get that. His token running game is a joke, he'll call any old running play so at the end of the year he can show stats the "he tried" to establish a running game.

BlitzburghNation
12-26-2008, 11:30 PM
Congrats on your 15 minutes of fame :lol: It was a good question and i loved the response :bigthumb:

KSSteelerfan
12-26-2008, 11:45 PM
That was a very good question. And the response that you received was spot on....:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2008, 12:47 AM
And yet every press conference Tomlin insists he wants to run the ball...well HELLO, you didn't draft anybody on offense to help out with line of thinking except for Mendenhall and he's been hurt all year. coughcough draftoffensivelineman coughcough .. :idea:

Note to self if I'm Tomlin, spend the entire damn draft on lineman next year and get rid of the happy vitamins that Arians keeps feeding me of how we're not that bad on offense!

In all seriousness we are not going to see any changes next year unless we get the line fixed, get the guy to learn how to pick up blitzes and then just maybe we'll actually have an idea of who we are and we're capable of. Are we a passing team? a running team? set up the pass with the run? set up the run with the pass? God only knows at this point and right now we're the only team in the AFC playoffs that doesn't have a clue of what we are on the offensive side of the ball.

Stlrs4Life
12-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for asking the question I have been saying all season long. Good job, and the answer was right on.

steelersgal86
12-27-2008, 10:51 AM
That is awesome :yellowthumb:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-27-2008, 07:37 PM
U mean 15 seconds:lol:, but it was great question:yellowthumb:one we've all been asking all year:lol: