PDA

View Full Version : Steelers promising they won’t shun run in playoffs

AZ_Steeler
12-25-2008, 04:26 PM
<link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqUphbABV0TaUjnr.Pi.WB1DubYF?slug=ap-steelers-shunnedrun&prov=ap&type=lgns)>

Hopefully this is just a decoy to make their opponents think they are going to run... Who are they trying to fool though because we all know they can't run the ball!

PITTSBURGH (AP)—The Pittsburgh Steelers’ commitment to the run began with Franco Harris in 1972 and hasn’t wavered since. With only three coaches during that time, the Steelers have never abandoned the mindset that all good things offensively start with the run.

Of course, running backs such as Harris and Jerome Bettis—two of the top 12 rushers in NFL history—— and, more recently, Willie Parker, made it simple to stay the course.

Now, it almost seems the run is becoming the offensive option of last resort, at least by the end of the many tight games the Steelers (11-4) are playing.

Going into their regular season-ending game Sunday against the Browns (4-11), the Steelers are 24th in rushing, only one spot ahead of Cleveland. They have been held below 100 yards six times in nine games, and Parker has gained more than 100 only once since the second game of the season, Sept. 14 in Cleveland.

Given the Steelers’ history of running to win, the one surprise of their season is their record is this good without the one element of their offense that has remained consistent under coaches Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and, last season, Mike Tomlin.

“I am concerned,” Tomlin said. “I think that with an effective running game, it increases our chances of winning. Therein lies my concern: Do we need to get hot in the running game? Absolutely.”

Tomlin’s concern is, uhh, well-grounded.

Last season, Parker was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,135 yards until he broke a leg in St. Louis on Dec. 20. Without Parker’s productivity and speed, the Steelers lost a week later at Baltimore and in the playoffs to Jacksonville, rushing for exactly 46 yards in both games.

Parker came back strong to begin this season, running for 138 yards and three touchdowns against Houston and 105 yards a week later in Cleveland. Since injuring a knee in Philadelphia on Sept. 21 and an elbow after that, Parker has lacked his usual acceleration and cutting ability, and the effect is evident.

Parker, a three-time 1,000-yard rusher, was held to 29 yards on 18 carries during a 31-14 loss in Tennessee last weekend, the fourth time in five games he has had 12 or more carries for 47 or fewer yards.

Parker’s injuries aren’t the only reason for the dramatic dropoff in the Steelers’ run game productivity. An offensive line that is without injured starters Kendall Simmons and Marvel Smith has been inconsistent all season.

The Steelers recognized their line would be a worry after star guard Alan Faneca signed with the Jets after last season, so the season-long problems with run blocking and pass protection aren’t a total surprise. Ben Roethlisberger has been sacked 46 times, one off his career high set a year ago when Faneca was around.

Several times recently, Parker said the Steelers must commit themselves to running the ball the way they have in the past. The problem with this is they don’t have the healthy Parker of the immediate past.

After nearly winning the rushing title last season, Parker is down to No. 30 in the league with 673 yards gained. He has scored one touchdown since the season opener and has one 100-yard game since Sept. 14.

“The run game is always something you want to focus on because you want to always stay two-dimensional as an offense,” left tackle Max Starks said. “Eleven guys all being on the same page is going to be a big emphasis.”

Developing some continuity is one reason Tomlin plans to play many of his starters as long as possible Sunday, even if the Steelers can’t improve their playoff position by winning.

“We acknowledge some of the areas we are deficient in, we work at them, we wait for the next opportunity to prove that we are not,” Tomlin said. “That’s the same mentality I have regarding the run game and all of our deficiencies. I tend to have a short memory.”

BlitzburghRockCity
12-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Great so we're committed to a bunch of 3rd and shorts that don't convert and a run on first down run on first down run on first down mixed in with a run with the 2 TE set which gets you 2 yards.

Troyisabeast_43
12-25-2008, 05:41 PM
As I pointed out a few days ago in a thread I started all the Steelers should be focusing on leading up to their first playoff game the next 2 weeks is working on the offense in practice and finding somehow someway anyway that they can be more effective and put more points on the board. The best of way of going about this is working on the spread offense at 4-5 wideouts,and the no-huddle offense. It's the only way I believe this offense had a chance of scoring more points in the playoffs and saving themselves from potential disaster.

NYCsteelersfan
12-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Hopefully this is just a decoy to make their opponents think they are going to run...

lol..What if we only run rush plays for the entire 1st quarter, gain about 14 total yards of offense and then just come out passing for the rest of the game?

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Great so we're committed to a bunch of 3rd and shorts that don't convert and a run on first down run on first down run on first down mixed in with a run with the 2 TE set which gets you 2 yards.

Never fear my Christmas Day friend . The regular season is about to end. WE are going to enter a whole new realm in Tomlin football.
Play-offs are ready to get under way.
Tomlin is old school .and so is Lebeau.
Defense wins games,or didn't you know?
The game ain't new to anyone on the team.
I'm lookin for willie to find that seam.
Right through the middle,then he is gone......
then comes Mewelde to carry on.
this ain't the regular season,not anymore.
whoever we play must be ready for sure.
We will be comin fast and comin hard,
even without our main man Rashard.
Special teams has to bring thier game.
This season could be thier claim to fame.
When this seaso ends we will be sure
Why we are "STEELER FANS" forever more.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-25-2008, 10:14 PM
lol..What if we only run rush plays for the entire 1st quarter, gain about 14 total yards of offense and then just come out passing for the rest of the game?

nah we'd rather continue beating our head against the wall then actually try something that works for the whole game! LOL

I swear I never thought I would see the day when a Pittsburgh Steelers team had problems rushing the ball.

NYCsteelersfan
12-26-2008, 12:03 AM
nah we'd rather continue beating our head against the wall then actually try something that works for the whole game! LOL

I swear I never thought I would see the day when a Pittsburgh Steelers team had problems rushing the ball.

Neither did I, especially after Parker took over for Bettis and still had 1,000 yards easy. I said to myself, "that's it, second best rush scheme in football behind Denver for the last decade, we could have anyone off the street run for us and we would be fine", and now look at us. I guess some would argue that a guy off the street would be running better than Parker right now, and I don't think I could argue.

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-26-2008, 11:56 AM
No one seems to get it. What you accomplished or not in the regular season has no real bearing when the slate is wiped clean. It all starts anew. The play-offs are the beginning of a new season. Did we try a lot to run the ball this regular season? Who is to say we won't in the play-offs. Positive things are there to see if you look closely enough. You can't scope in ,you might miss something that everyone has overlooked. Namely the running game that has not been rearing its nasty head just yet. You can run to set up the pass, but you can also pass to set up the run. Granted we have not done either exclusively in the regular season. But i'll be damned ,if this is not the play-offs we are getting ready to enjoy . maybe i missed something.
We can "run" , we can "pass" ,or we can just crush ya with our defense . We have the luxury to have the browns , that is with a small B ,to use as our springboard into the play-offs. Is that sweet or what?
Yes my friends it is the beginning of a new season. The play-off season. If we start this new one off like we did the old, well, i think we will run the ball pretty well. I hope my thoughts of Willie looking forward to the play-offs ,and the chance to get this team another ring , for the city of Pittsburgh is correct.
Willie ain't gonna do it on his own. (He just might though). He does have a pretty damn good team he can bring along with him !

JensK
12-26-2008, 12:15 PM
No one seems to get it. What you accomplished or not in the regular season has no real bearing when the slate is wiped clean. It all starts anew. The play-offs are the beginning of a new season. Did we try a lot to run the ball this regular season? Who is to say we won't in the play-offs. Positive things are there to see if you look closely enough. You can't scope in ,you might miss something that everyone has overlooked. Namely the running game that has not been rearing its nasty head just yet. You can run to set up the pass, but you can also pass to set up the run. Granted we have not done either exclusively in the regular season. But i'll be damned ,if this is not the play-offs we are getting ready to enjoy . maybe i missed something.
We can "run" , we can "pass" ,or we can just crush ya with our defense . We have the luxury to have the browns , that is with a small B ,to use as our springboard into the play-offs. Is that sweet or what?
Yes my friends it is the beginning of a new season. The play-off season. If we start this new one off like we did the old, well, i think we will run the ball pretty well. I hope my thoughts of Willie looking forward to the play-offs ,and the chance to get this team another ring , for the city of Pittsburgh is correct.
Willie ain't gonna do it on his own. (He just might though). He does have a pretty damn good team he can bring along with him !

While that all sounds great and beautiful, im not sure i agree. Yes, everything can happen in football, every given sunday you know, but we are not going to change as a team just because its the playoffs. We are not getting new players on the positions we need to be able to run the ball. We are not getting a lot of new time to practice all the new plays we would need to run with just some sort of effect. We are the Steelers and we won't go down without a fight, but this year there are so many quality teams in the playoffs, and most of them are going to punish you if you can't run the ball. We saw how that went against Titans and Giants (to name some..) Against Giants, ben threw 4 (4!?!?!) interceptions and we even ran the ball with a little succes against Giants. The teams we are facing in the playoffs is teams that have and will punish these things. We saw it against Titans. We did put up points, but 6 turnovers = loose, and those 6 turnovers came because we couldnt get the run going and ben had to do everything on his own.

So yes, this may be the playoffs and some may think that this is all new, but its really not. Its the same players, in the same league against the same teams with the same **** poor running attack.

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-26-2008, 12:45 PM
While that all sounds great and beautiful, im not sure i agree. Yes, everything can happen in football, every given sunday you know, but we are not going to change as a team just because its the playoffs. We are not getting new players on the positions we need to be able to run the ball. We are not getting a lot of new time to practice all the new plays we would need to run with just some sort of effect. We are the Steelers and we won't go down without a fight, but this year there are so many quality teams in the playoffs, and most of them are going to punish you if you can't run the ball. We saw how that went against Titans and Giants (to name some..) Against Giants, ben threw 4 (4!?!?!) interceptions and we even ran the ball with a little succes against Giants. The teams we are facing in the playoffs is teams that have and will punish these things. We saw it against Titans. We did put up points, but 6 turnovers = loose, and those 6 turnovers came because we couldnt get the run going and ben had to do everything on his own.

So yes, this may be the playoffs and some may think that this is all new, but its really not. Its the same players, in the same league against the same teams with the same **** poor running attack.

All i am saying is that Tomlin and Arians have stuck to thier guns in the regular season. I don't know about you, but i ask why? Creating game footage for the other team to prepare with?
What will all that preparation be worth in the play-offs when that is not what we are doing?
Think about it , i want people to see the **** i bring to the table .but i want to show it in such a way that i can change it up ,and bust your *** with.
What do they do all summer long ,and pre-season. Practice plays ,and run sets that no one seen yet.
The real team will take the field as a new team in the play-offs ,and i believe that. You would have to be non other than a fool to think that the team you played in the regular season is the same team now that the play-off run is beginning.
Don't think that Tomlin was hired cause he is stupid.
I like his approach ,and i commend it also. After all we have been through , he knows what it will take to win this thing out. I believe that he thinks we can , and i am inclined to side with him. If he gets this team believing the same thing ,watch out nfc.

JensK
12-26-2008, 01:33 PM
All i am saying is that Tomlin and Arians have stuck to thier guns in the regular season. I don't know about you, but i ask why? Creating game footage for the other team to prepare with?
What will all that preparation be worth in the play-offs when that is not what we are doing?
Think about it , i want people to see the **** i bring to the table .but i want to show it in such a way that i can change it up ,and bust your *** with.
What do they do all summer long ,and pre-season. Practice plays ,and run sets that no one seen yet.
The real team will take the field as a new team in the play-offs ,and i believe that. You would have to be non other than a fool to think that the team you played in the regular season is the same team now that the play-off run is beginning.
Don't think that Tomlin was hired cause he is stupid.
I like his approach ,and i commend it also. After all we have been through , he knows what it will take to win this thing out. I believe that he thinks we can , and i am inclined to side with him. If he gets this team believing the same thing ,watch out nfc.

While that is correct, it does not change the fact that we are not going to be able to run that football. Our line sucks, and new invented plays is not going to change that. Big Ben is great, but he is not going to carry us all the way to the SB alone. I just don't believe in that. You have to play somewhat alright on both passing and running. The defence is going to run flat aswell, if they don't get time off the field. New plays is great, but our o-line still suck ***, and nothing is going to change that.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2008, 01:37 PM
It's not uncommon for teams to show some surprises in their game plan once the playoffs start but if Tomlin and Arians have been holding back THAT much in the regular season and put this team through so much with close games, poor offensive performance, no running game etc. than that is doing a disservice to everybody on that team for the whole year. You can't hold back your lack of a running game and disguise it all year as if you can't do anything and then all of the sudden just turn it on in the postseason. There's no guarantees it will work then anymore than it would work in the regular season especially with the quality of opponents you see now. Just my :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2008, 01:53 PM
It's not uncommon for teams to show some surprises in their game plan once the playoffs start but if Tomlin and Arians have been holding back THAT much in the regular season and put this team through so much with close games, poor offensive performance, no running game etc. than that is doing a disservice to everybody on that team for the whole year. You can't hold back your lack of a running game and disguise it all year as if you can't do anything and then all of the sudden just turn it on in the postseason. There's no guarantees it will work then anymore than it would work in the regular season especially with the quality of opponents you see now. Just my :2cents:

I agree with you Top Gun....Very well said....

My only hope in the play-offs is Ben and the passing game can get into sync and open things up for the running game.......In the run to Super Bowl XL in the play-offs the running game really was held in check.....Whisenhunt/Cowher threw the ball to get the lead and then let the defense hold the lead then let the running game eat the clock......Ben was huge in those three play-off games......That is my hope these play-offs....We all know if we can get the lead then our defense will hold that lead....Especially with this current defense....

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Tomlin rocks , what can i say.Only he knows what he wants to accomplish. Or i should say , only his team knows what they want to accomplish.
Even the great Chuck ,would tell ya once the play-offs start ,it is a whole new ball game.
You can't dwell on the regular season statistics to spell out your game.
What you did , or did not do in the regular season has no bearing on the game now.
It is wiped out! Even slate. This team does have what it takes to go the distance.
Bad o-line and all. No running game or not.
We do not depend on our fans or the media to run our team , and thank the Gods for that!:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: !!!!!!!!!!!

Ambridge
12-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Hmm!!
There's a big difference in being able to run the ball and not being able to run the ball......the Steelers "Can't" run the ball....so why make a promise to continue to do something that you've failed to do all season against stiff competition??

Steelersfan
12-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Hmm!!
There's a big difference in being able to run the ball and not being able to run the ball......the Steelers "Can't" run the ball....so why make a promise to continue to do something that you've failed to do all season against stiff competition??

:plus1:

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Hmm!!

I was just casting light of some of the things people believe about this team. We all watched Big Ben say how he holds on to the ball too long and such. Our o - line sucks and we can't run the ball.(wink ...wink)
Last year it was our special teams that sucked. What will it be next year?

Steelersfan
12-26-2008, 04:36 PM
I was just casting light of some of the things people believe about this team. We all watched Big Ben say how he holds on to the ball too long and such. Our o - line sucks and we can't run the ball.(wink ...wink)
Last year it was our special teams that sucked. What will it be next year?

OL again if they don't get it fixed........lol

DIESELMAN
12-26-2008, 09:57 PM
If Arians would just have a game plan that best suited our players strengths instead of trying to make the players fit his schemes. Its obvious we got the wrong man for the OC job...anyone try and pound a round peg into a square hole?