PDA

View Full Version : Silverback wins team MVP...

DIESELMAN
12-24-2008, 09:22 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/62/620632.jpg

PITTSBURGH – Someone once gave James Harrison a red dirt bike for Christmas, but he broke it in half within six months. “I rode it too much,” said Harrison.
Harrison won’t be able to break this year’s Christmas present in half. His Christmas present is the Steelers’ Most Valuable Player Award, voted upon by Harrison’s teammates.

“It’s respect,” Harrison said. “It’s a sign they admire you and think you’re a valuable part of the team.”

The award is the second in a row for Harrison, the first Steelers player to do so outright since Levon Kirkland in 1998 and 1999.

With a game remaining Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, Harrison has a team-record 16 sacks and leads the league with seven forced fumbles. Harrison is second on the team to James Farrior with 68 solo tackles and third behind Farrior and Ryan Clark with a career-high 100 total tackles. He leads the team with 34 quarterback pressures, has intercepted a pass, and made 12 special-teams tackles.

Last year, Harrison won the award with 67 solo tackles, 80 total tackles, 8.5 sacks, 16 pressures, an interception, six forced fumbles, and 12 special-teams tackles.
His goal this year was to be better than last year, and he says he did that. To what does he attribute the improvement?

“Just offseason work,” he said, “and just really getting a good feel for myself and an understanding of the defense, the other 10 guys around me doing their job, Coach (Dick) LeBeau calling a great defense, great coaching by Coach (Keith) Butler at linebacker; just everything together.”

Harrison, of course, is in the running for NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors as well. No less an authority on defensive football than Indianapolis Colts Coach Tony Dungy endorsed Harrison for the overall MVP award last week.

“It’s flattering,” Harrison said. “That’s a guy everybody has respect for.”

When asked whether he’d prefer to win the league award or the team award, Harrison said, “The Super Bowl would mean everything on top of all that.” He then made a Christmas wish “to play until I’m 50. I’m 30 now, so that’s 20 Super Bowls, 20 Pro Bowls, 20 MVPs.” Not many doubt him.

By Jim Wexell
(javascript:location.href='http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22'%20+%20escape('Jim%20Wexell')%20+%20'%22&sssiteid=68';)
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Dec 24, 2008

Very well deserved!! :cope: :cope: :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Harrison is having one of the best years in Steeler linebacker history and his stats are as good as any player in the league. It's such a great story how he went through so much to get his big break and he's taken full advantage of it and then some.

You could make a case for Ben and for Farrior too, maybe Polamalu but when you your team feels that highly of you to give it to you 2 years in a row that's pretty special.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Nope I think its clear cut this year and its James Harrison....He didn't deserve it last year since Ben was the teams MVP in 2007 but there is no debate this season......Congrats Silverback and it was great watching you this season.......Here is to a kick *** play-offs for you and the entire team....

PsychoWard
12-24-2008, 10:36 PM
wow good for him!!! he deserves it and the skies the limit!!!!!!

JoeThomas
12-24-2008, 11:07 PM
16 sacks, and he mighr end up with 18 after sunday. oh poor gradkowski. our only hope is if you rest after 1 or 2 quarters. should still be a solid game. but big props to a local (kent state) guy. he is a beast!

AZ_Steeler
12-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Kind of a nobrainer... is there anyone else on the team who is more deserving than him?

PsychoWard
12-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Kind of a nobrainer... is there anyone else on the team who is more deserving than him?

troys a close second with his picks and the way he has been playing!!! but i still say Harrison deserves it!!!

Steel Trap86
12-24-2008, 11:48 PM
16 sacks, and he mighr end up with 18 after sunday. oh poor gradkowski. our only hope is if you rest after 1 or 2 quarters. should still be a solid game. but big props to a local (kent state) guy. he is a beast!

I have a feeling Harrisson will be out in the second half on sunday, but one half of football is more then enough for him to sack this 4 string quarterback :lol:

yinzer
12-25-2008, 07:54 AM

paul ernster??? :eek1:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Congrats :tt02:Harrison u desreve this:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghNation
12-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Congrats to the BEAST :clap:

DanRooney
12-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Well deserved to Debo

Silverback
12-26-2008, 01:31 AM