PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will play to beat the Browns Sunday; James Harrison inactive

DIESELMAN
12-24-2008, 12:38 AM
The Steelers will play to win against the Browns, coach Mike Tomlin said, even though they have already clinched the AFC North title and cannot improve their playoff position with a victory Sunday.

The Steelers will be without free safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) and left tackle Marvel Smith (back) because of injuries. Everyone else that is healthy will play in the 1 p.m. game, Tomlin said today at his weekly news conference.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (sprained ankle) and outside linebacker James Harrison
(hip pointer) will be limited in practice this week, but Tomlin said both are expected to play in Sunday's regular-season finale at Heinz Field.

Tomlin was emphatic that he won't treat the Browns game different than any other even though it represents an opportunity to rest some of the Steelers' starters.
When asked if Roethlisberger will play the entire game Tomlin said, "We're playing."

The Steelers are 11-4 and have wrapped up the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs as well as a first-round bye.

By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
I say have the offense play both ways and give the D some time off :greengrin:

BlitzburghNation
12-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Glad to here this,,,,,,,we need this win and we need to blow out them hashbrowns and feel good going into the play-offs :popcorn:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Of course Tomlin is going to say they are playing to win, if he said anything different I'd be worried..LOL. Im also glad he's getting the starters atleast some time in this game. He won't play them the whole time but letting all those guys off for 2 straight weeks well actually nearly 3 weeks till they play in a game again is not a good idea. Our offense is already struggling and compound that with a flat group that hasn't played and it's a recipe for disaster.

Let em play a half and then start yanking em.

DBR96A
12-24-2008, 01:31 AM
12-4 looks prettier than 11-5.

steelers4life66
12-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Ya he defiantly needs to play them for a half or so. That much time off wouldn't be a good thing.

Steel Trap86
12-24-2008, 01:50 AM
HELLO? You play to win the game!!!

This vid defenatley needed to be added to this thread! :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

They should always be playing to win. Beat the Browns and go into the playoffs as winners!

DIESELMAN
12-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Here is what Tomlin had to say about the game against Cleveland.....

We will use the loss to the Titans as a learning experience; we had our team in here yesterday to review the tape, to talk about it and set the stage for this week as we begin our preparations for the Cleveland Browns. Talking briefly about them, this is a big week for us; and I will tell you why. It is a football game and we are playing the Cleveland Browns; they are a division opponent. When you want to be the kind of team that we aspire to be, it starts with dominating our division. We made no bones about that when we talked about some of the goals that we had at the beginning of the season. We have an opportunity to sweep our division, and that hasn’t been done around here since 2002. We have an opportunity to play in front of our fans and put an exclamation point on what has been a solid season. One of the things that I look at when I study what we have done up through this point is that we have been pretty solid in everything that we have done throughout. We have an opportunity to be 6-2 at home; of course we are 6-2 on the road. We started the season 6-2 in the first eight games; with a win on Sunday we can finish it 6-2. We have an opportunity to be 3-1 in every quarter of the season. However you shape it, a winning performance for us this weekend puts an exclamation point on what has been a solid regular season, and moves us into the playoffs in a good frame of mind to chase the goals that we set out to chase.

steelersgal86
12-24-2008, 07:06 AM
:woot: glad to hear it!!!!

Captcoolhand
12-24-2008, 07:58 AM
I can see the headlines now........

Romeo Crennel Fired as Head coach of the Cleveland Browns.
Having played the Pittsburgh Steeler's 8 time in his 4 years as head coach, he's the only Head coach of the Cleveland Browns to never have a single defeat against them.......:rofl:

yinzer
12-24-2008, 10:29 AM
i'm glad he's playing the starters. i'm just not so sure how amped the players are about it. i know they're all sore and hurting and would probably like to have this week off. oh well. i'm going to be at this game. would be a little more exciting if there were a little more at stake.

LarryNJ
12-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Hopefully he told the O something like, you are playing until we have a 21 point lead, if it's in the 1st quarter you are done, if it never happens you are playing the entire game.

BlackGold4vr
12-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Hello!

You play to win the game!

:hilarious:

Iron City South
12-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Besides being the coach, Tomlin is in the business of making sure tickets sell for the Rooney's .....

Tomlin is saying what needs to be said to ensure the stands are full. Deep down inside he can give a damn about this game. Once we locked up our spot .... it then became all about the tourneyment

RAWSTEEL
12-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I think they should let byron leftwich play 2 see how he does with our offense just incase ben gets injured more in the playoffs. Im really want 2 see him play again

Steel Trap86
12-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I think they should let byron leftwich play 2 see how he does with our offense just incase ben gets injured more in the playoffs. Im really want 2 see him play again

we'll be seein' byron in action on sunday i guarentee it

Captcoolhand
12-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I want to see Dixon play...........:stirpot:

Forged in Steel
12-24-2008, 08:29 PM
I hate the Tony Dungy "philosophy" of "resting" people and loosing the game.

Scalaid6
12-25-2008, 03:37 AM
Thats the way to go Tomlin. Play to win!

NYCsteelersfan
12-25-2008, 05:26 AM
3 weeks off is scary. I just won't know what to expect from the offense. But then again 2 weeks off is scary also. I just hope we establish somekind of running game before the break otherwise the defense is pretty much on its own come round 1 for us. And since it's the Browns we're playing, it better be 150 or more yards rushing.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-25-2008, 05:29 PM
we'll be seein' byron in action on sunday i guarentee it

Absolutely, I'm betting he'll be in the whole 2nd half of the game regardless of how it's playing out. I want to see a lot of Gary Russel too, if Im Tomlin I put him and let him go to work all game long. Mix in a little bit of Moore now and then but make Russel the main guy.

Troyisabeast_43
12-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Tomlin I agree will play the starters a lot in this game just to keep them in playoff mode and keep them sharp. But at the sametime while he has sat there and said all week that they are playing everybody and are playing to win Mike Tomlin is not a stupid man. He knows this game doesnt mean anything and he is not going to risk hurting guys like Harrison,Troy,Aaron Smith,Ben or Hines in a game like this. I expect a pretty big effort from the Steelers on Sunday on offense, defense,and special teams. They will definitely want to avenge that loss in Tennessee last week especially on defense and come out guns and blazing. I expect the Steelers to pretty much roll in this game and make life for Bruce Gradkowski as the Browns QB a living hell come Sunday.

Stlrs4Life
12-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Here is what Tomlin had to say about the game against Cleveland.....

Very good outlook.

SteelersWoman
12-26-2008, 05:31 AM
While this game has nothing to do with winning the division or goin to the playoffs, I think it DOES mean something--I think it means a LOT. Sweeping the division for the first time in 6 years would have to make them proud--besides, they need a win going into the bye. A loss here would be awful all the way around. So IMO, no way this game means "nothing".

DIESELMAN
12-26-2008, 05:48 AM
While this game has nothing to do with winning the division or goin to the playoffs, I think it DOES mean something--I think it means a LOT. Sweeping the division for the first time in 6 years would have to make them proud--besides, they need a win going into the bye. A loss here would be awful all the way around. So IMO, no way this game means "nothing".

I agree....whether its against the Browns or not, this game gives us not only a sweep of the division but gives us some kind of momentum going into the playoffs. The bye week, we can rest and recuperate, treat this game like any other division game.......WAR!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2008, 01:47 AM
If this were somebody like Seattle, or KC, or some NFC team that we're not really rivals with I don't know that the players would really be able to be up for this game but this is Cleveland. We all hate each other in this game and the players would love nothing more than to sweep the division and put a nice exclamation point on a dismal season for the Clowns.

This game is more important than some might think, like we've been talking about here there is still momentum at stake and we all know what can happen when you go into the playoffs on a losing streak so IMO we need to win this game pretty bad.

Steel Trap86
12-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Absolutely, I'm betting he'll be in the whole 2nd half of the game regardless of how it's playing out. I want to see a lot of Gary Russel too, if Im Tomlin I put him and let him go to work all game long. Mix in a little bit of Moore now and then but make Russel the main guy.

Ya Leftwich playing the second half is what I'm thinking, he may even come in earlier depending on the score. I think if we go up 14-0 we may see him come in and close the game. I want to see him play significant time in this little playoff practise type game, because if we end up playing the Ravens again, which is very possible, Ben could take that one hit that sidelines him and we may have to lean on Byron...and I really dont wanna see that!

Captcoolhand
12-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Dennis Dixon gave the Steelers' defense a look at what they will see Sunday against the visiting Browns. Did the rookie quarterback also provide a glimpse into the future for the Steelers' offense while playing the role of Cleveland's Joshua Cribbs in practice?
Dixon did such a bang-up job of impersonating Cribbs in the so-called Wildcat offense that two of the Steelers' top defensive players said the team should consider adding that wrinkle to its offensive repertoire.
"I think we can make plays with him on offense," inside linebacker James Farrior said of Dixon. "The man's a great athlete. I don't know what (the coaches) see for him in the future, but he's one of those type of athletes that can run it"
The Wildcat is the innovation du jour in the NFL, and a number of teams have successfully used it at various times this season. In the Wildcat, the quarterback takes the snap out of a shotgun and has the option of running or passing. Teams generally use their best runner or athlete in the Wildcat, and a quarterback such as Dixon is all the more dangerous because defenses can't overplay the pass or the run.
The Steelers expect to see a considerable dose of the Wildcat Sunday.
The Browns are down to their fourth quarterback — Seton-La Salle graduate Bruce Gradkowski will start in the 1 p.m. game at Heinz Field — because of injuries. And they have been using Cribbs, a former college quarterback, in the Wildcat at various times as he is their most dangerous open-field runner.
"You see a lot of teams across the league using it," Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. "It's very effective when you have a quarterback that's back there to pass or run the ball. You can't just rush any kind of way."
When asked how effective Dixon has been in the Wildcat, Woodley smiled.
"He better look good," the second-year standout said. "That's what Dennis has been doing since his college days."
Dixon, a fifth-round draft pick by the Steelers this past April, played in a spread offense at the University of Oregon. He finished his career sixth on the school's all-time list in total offense (6,337 yards) and first in career rushing yards (1,202) by a quarterback.
When Dixon learned he would be playing the role of Cribbs this week, he was so excited that he called Oregon offensive coordinator Chip Kelly to tell him about it.
"I'm kind of reminiscing as far as college this week," Dixon said. "It's a tough thing (for defenses) to handle."
The Steelers drafted Dixon because of the promise the 6-foot-3, 195-pounder showed as a pocket passer, but his athleticism and status on the team make him an ideal candidate to run the Wildcat.
The risk of an injury is why most teams use a player other than a quarterback to trigger the Wildcat. Dixon, however, has not played in a game this season and is the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback.
The downside to using Dixon in the Wildcat is the Steelers would have to activate him for games — as the third quarterback he can only play in the case of injuries to starter Ben Roethlisberger and backup Byron Leftwich — and that could compromise their depth in another area.
Dixon has at least given coach Mike Tomlin something to think about with the way he ran the offense this week.
"I think we should get our offense to put Dixon in there," Farrior said.
And Dixon's thoughts?
"If Mike T. calls my numbers," Dixon said with a smile, "I'm going to try to perform to the best of my ability."
:clap: I know I'm looking forward to Seeing more of DIA(Dixon in action....:yesnod:)
Hopfully he doesn't become MIA.....:crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
In theory it's a good idea but I don't know that we'll see it at all for 2 main reasons. 1) Arians isn't that creative or unpredictable enough to actually consider using Dixon in this manner to make the plays. He rather just continue with the same old same old offense that doesn't work.

2) Activating him as the 3rd QB would mean they'd have to give up a roster spot on another part of the team. Depending on how injuries play out the rest of the way that's just something to think about. The real thing is that in order for him to see any significant playing time because of the 3rd QB rule that the article talked about and if you activate him as the 2nd QB and then something does happen to Ben you almost have to skip him and put in Byron as the 3rd but then Ben can't come back later in the game like he did last week.

If they can make it work it would be a nice idea though and hell as bad as we are on offense most of the game, why not!

yinzer
12-27-2008, 11:43 AM
there's not a snowball's chance in hell. arians sucks. next thread please.

Steel Trap86
12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Bruce Arians isnt creative enough to make this happen. He is a dull and predictable guy and has made our offense just that. I dont see him doing anything like this, unless the players make it happen. I saw Dixon in action when the Steelers played the Bills in Toronto and he had a 50 yard TD run, it was ****ing incredible. He can run the ball, I know that! I would love to see this guy in some trick plays for the playoffs, because thats exactly what this team needs is a big boost! just run that by our bone head OC!!!!

HUNT4SEVEN
12-27-2008, 07:24 PM
It would be nice to throw it in for the playoffs though:yesnod:

ChefDawg
12-27-2008, 09:19 PM
ok..I'm not gonna sit here and say were gonna win...heck we will be lucky to even get off the plane and make it to the stadium...but I'm gonna be down there with the rest pf my Browns buds...so if you see a guy with CHEFDAWG on his Browns Jersey, stop and say hello. I might have a beer or a shot for ya!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 12:24 AM
ok..I'm not gonna sit here and say were gonna win...heck we will be lucky to even get off the plane and make it to the stadium...but I'm gonna be down there with the rest pf my Browns buds...so if you see a guy with CHEFDAWG on his Browns Jersey, stop and say hello. I might have a beer or a shot for ya!

Did he just say he was going to shoot a beer at us? :lol:

ChefDawg
12-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Did he just say he was going to shoot a beer at us? :lol:

well I am a Browns fan...

Steel Trap86
12-28-2008, 05:41 AM
well I am a Browns fan...

haha wow its just ON when the Steelers lose a game lol not only do we have fat pig fans from Nashville barking on here about how they are the ****, but we actually have BROWNS fans thinking they have a chance :lol: you see how high the Steelers expectations are? ONE loss in the hardest schedule of the season and Browns fans think they can come on here with a winning attitude hahahaha Superbowl or Bust Steeler fans!!!

good luck bro! maybe next season you will be the "team to beat"

Joe jaravicous!! :lol: :lol: Jump! Jump!

yinzer
12-28-2008, 09:23 AM

i'll be at the game today, chef. 2 things:
#1. i don't think you guys fly from cleveland to the burgh. does cleveland even have an airport???
#2. i'll have a beer with you just as long as it's not zima!

by the way, do you know if gradkowski has his affairs in order??

SteelerNC
12-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Beat the Brown Stains.

Scalaid6
12-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm glad we are resting James Harrison. We need him in the playoffs. I'm afraid if he played and didnt do well some of you would call him a bum like the Willie haters. I'm not really a Willie guy (his vision sucks) but even I can tell hes hurt. Just like LT in Sandiego, its obvious hes hurt and his stats attest to that.
Silverback will have 2 weeks to rest and lets hope that is enough to get him ready to go.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Yep no surprise there, Timmons will fill in and do a good job for us and get some good experience.

Scalaid6
12-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Agreed. I also think they should rotate Timmons with Silverback, Foote and Woodley. That guy needs to be on the field and it would keep our LBs fresh and hungry.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Timmons is going to be the heir to Foote next year so he'll mainly be an inside guy but him getting reps on the outside is definitely going to help him so he can play both positions which will make him all the more valuable.

Steel Trap86
12-28-2008, 01:38 PM
thats ok, harrisson deserves the rest and our back-ups will handle cleveland today anyways.