PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Smith placed on IR... Jason Capizzi signed

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Steelers Place Marvel Smith on Reserve/Injured List;
Sign Offensive Tackle Jason Capizzi

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers made a roster move today by placing veteran offensive tackle Marvel Smith on their Reserve/Injured List.

Smith (6-5, 321), who was the Steelers’ second-round draft pick (38th overall) in the 2000 NFL Draft out of Arizona State, played the first five weeks of the 2008 season before suffering a back injury and was inactive the past 10 weeks. A nine-year veteran, Smith has played in 110 career games and made 107 starts. He made the Pro Bowl following the 2004 season, his first such recognition.

The Steelers signed second-year offensive tackle Jason Capizzi from the St. Louis Rams practice squad. He was signed to the Rams’ practice squad on Oct. 28 of this year after being released by the Steelers during training camp. In 2007, Capizzi spent time on the practice squads of the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs before Pittsburgh signed him to its active roster for the AFC Wild Card Game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

What am I missing? Why in the heck did we wait until now? I can understand a few weeks, but to go until the last week of the year to do it, not very smart in my book. Now he has a limited amount of time to learn anything that would make him helpful. :dunno:

JensK
12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I guees it was a matter of hope. Tomlin really hoped that he would get ready, and as far as i know he didnt show any signs that he got worse, so i guees it was a little: No news is good news.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like they are getting ready for next year to me, plus Jason already knows the steelers schemes he's been heere before.

jpele
12-23-2008, 03:45 PM
I was wondering why he wasn't put on IR two weeks after his recurring back injury. This is a problem I don't believe will ever get better.

Back in camp the word was Jason Capizzi had potential but there was no room on the roster for someone that couldn't start.

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
That's what I mean. There was no indication it was getting better. Hard decision to make, but it should have been made earlier. Not that I think it would have made any difference.....:dunno:

BlackGold4vr
12-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Sounds like they are getting ready for next year to me, plus Jason already knows the steelers schemes he's been heere before.

:plus1:

This is a native Pittsburgher who grew up a Steeler fan. He was on full scholarship with Pitt University until he was involved in an underage drinking incident that put him on the coaches ****-list. He transferred out to a division II school (IUP) because he saw little chance of getting out of the coaches doghouse at Pitt. He has had several stints with us already and the fact that he has been with other teams practice squads and not out of the game completely means that he is ready to play with a quick refresher of our playbook. How hard could it be to learn Bruce Arians playbook? Opposing defenses have never seen it but seem to have it down pretty well! :yesnod:

I like this kid and think all he needs is opportunity! Could he be much worse than Willie Colon or Max Starks? Neither one of those guys are starting tackle material. Plus, this kid is a huge guy. I believe he goes around 6'9 320 and he also has quick feet from playing basketball. :yellowthumb:

NCSteeler
12-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Smith's back problem was reported as being different than last years problem. I really think that there is little room in the league for a 30 something tackle with multiple back problems. his agent is going to have his work cut out for him this offseason. We may resign him on the cheap.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_599076.html

Smith had successful back surgery in December to relieve a nerve problem that caused him to lose feeling in his lower right leg at times last season. Smith missed five games, including the playoffs, in 2007-08.

Smith said his new injury is unrelated to the old one.

Steel Trap86
12-23-2008, 04:15 PM

screw next year, thats what the offseason is for! lets get ready for the playoffs!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I just knew Marvel wasn't going to make it the whole year with those back issues he's had. He's been hampered off and on for years with that. They won't re-sign him after this season and Capizzi will be in the running for a Tackle job next year. Like BG4vr said, he can't be any worse than what we have now so why not get him on the active roster and if we need him we'll see how he does.

Stlrs4Life
12-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, regardless, we just wasted weeks where we could have been giving someone a chance to play.

steelcityrockers
12-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Jason muthafukin Cappizzi. All our OLine problems are now solved!

/sarcasm

It was stupid to wait 10 damn weeks for them to put Smith on IR.

jpele
12-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I like this kid and think all he needs is opportunity!

It worked out good for Stapleton. Will lightening strike twice ?

Iron City South
12-23-2008, 11:11 PM
See ya Marvel ..... you gave us 9 good years and I wish you well.

DIESELMAN
12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
See ya Marvel ..... you gave us 9 good years and I wish you well.
Yeah, I doubt he'll be back. He's in his last year of his contract with back problems. Good luck Marvel.....:helmet:

ejsteeler
12-24-2008, 08:38 AM
How hard could it be to learn Bruce Arians playbook? Opposing defenses have never seen it but seem to have it down pretty well! :yesnod:

That is a good point I did not consider. I forget how shiatty Arians playbook was. :lol:

K Train
12-24-2008, 12:12 PM
cappizzi=mammoth sized bum

Blitz-5
12-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I doubt he'll be back. He's in his last year of his contract with back problems. Good luck Marvel.....:helmet:

Look for Marvel to play for his old OC the Whiz out in Arizona. That climate will be perfect for his bad back.

What really scares me if the Steelers re-sign Max Starks. This guy couldn't block off a fart after drinking a bottle of kaopectate.

DIESELMAN
12-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Look for Marvel to play for his old OC the Whiz out in Arizona. That climate will be perfect for his bad back.

What really scares me if the Steelers re-sign Max Starks. This guy couldn't block off a fart after drinking a bottle of kaopectate.
If/when we resign Max, someone had better whisper in his year that he was damn lucky to get that 7 mil for one year.