PDA

View Full Version : Current AFC Playoff Picture

JensK
12-23-2008, 02:29 PM
As week 16 panned out we'll be having a visit from either Ravens or Dolphins if the current standings holds. Dolphins is going to visit NY next week to face the Jets, but again it comes down to if Baltimore wins their last game against Jaguars which they probably will. If so, the 3th seed will be either Jets, Patriots or Dolphins, which all have a chance. Dolphins just have to win to claim a playoff spot. Pats have to win and dolphins needs to lose if the pats is going to the play-offs, and pats needs to loose and Jets needs to win, if Jets wants to go to the play-offs. Basically the first playoff game is going to be:

Colts @ Broncos/Chargers (who would have thought?) ---> Titans

Baltimore @ Dolphins/Patriots/Jets ---> Steelers

I am really hoping for anyone but Ravens...

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 02:40 PM
It's going to be an uphill battle no matter who we get, but I agree, I do not want to see the ratbirds in our first game back after being off for two weeks.

AZ_Steeler
12-23-2008, 03:05 PM
but again it comes down to if Baltimore wins their last game against Baltimore which they probably will.
The Ravens play themselves this weekend? ;)

What if the Colts and Ravens both win that first week... Would the Titans play the Ravens and the Colts come to Pittsburgh?

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 03:11 PM

I was letting that one slide AZ......:lol:

JensK
12-23-2008, 03:17 PM

What if the Colts and Ravens both win that first week... Would the Titans play the Ravens and the Colts come to Pittsburgh?

ouh dang it.. Sorry, fixed it to Jaguars :P Lack of sleep i tell you! ;)

If both Ravens and Colts win, Titans would host Colts and Steelers would host Ravens.

AZ_Steeler
12-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Doesn't the 1 seed always play the lowest seed?

JensK
12-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Doesn't the 1 seed always play the lowest seed?

Not according to my information, i'll check it out.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket also says that this is how it looks right now. You can also look here http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/seeds for the seeds

edit: Alright i got things sortet out now.. It appears that after the wildcart weekend, there will be a reseeding of the two winning teams, and then you are correct - Titans will get the lowest seed.

AZ_Steeler
12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, so don't think that :) I just remember back in 05 the Steelers played the Bengals (3rd Seed) the first round then had to travel to play Colts (1 Seed) then finished off the Broncos (2nd Seed) :bigthumb:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-23-2008, 03:43 PM
It doesn't matter who we see, we better kick a** an take names:tt02::cope::yellowthumb:

JensK
12-23-2008, 03:49 PM
I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, so don't think that :) I just remember back in 05 the Steelers played the Bengals (3rd Seed) the first round then had to travel to play Colts (1 Seed) then finished off the Broncos (2nd Seed) :bigthumb:

Nah i know that :) I was just being confused because it appears that my first take was wrong :P To sum it up, most of the first i write is correct, but whoever we'll meet is based in the two winners performance in the first play-off game. It would be logical to assume that the seeding will be based on the performance on that one night alone, which could turn out both good and bad for the steelers. If Dolphins plays lights out and beat Baltimore and Colts just get away with a win over Chargers (og Broncos), then i would feel blessed. I really believe we can beat Dolphins any day, anywhere but especially @ heinz! Colts, im not so sure. They've beating us before in Heinz, and Jaguars showed us last year that it is possible to do it two times in one season.

Troyisabeast_43
12-23-2008, 05:11 PM
The easiest game the Steelers could hope for would be the Miami Dolphins I believe the first week of the divisional round. Now I know they are playing really well right now and are hot but I think if they would end up beating the Jets this week and winning the division and somehow end up beating the Ravens in the wildcard round the following week in Miami they will be totally out of gas by the time they come to Pittsburgh the following week for their first playoff game. This is who the Steelers would play if Miami wins this week against the Jets and wins the following week at home in their wildcard game whoever they would play because they would be the 3 seed and the 3 seed always plays the 2 seed no matter in the divisional round if they win. As I said the Titans could end up getting a tougher first game by getting the number 1 seed since the lower seeded teams in the AFC this year the Colts and Ravens as the 5 and the 6 seed are much better teams I think then the 3 and 4 seeds will end up being. If you're going to root for anybody to win the next 2 weeks root for the Miami Dolphins because I think they would have no chance of coming in here and winning on divisional weekend after having to win all these tough emotional games for this many weeks in a row. Plus, it would be nice to have the whole Joey Porter thing as well to talk about behind this game should the Steelers meet the Dolphins.

NCSteeler
12-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I really see the Ravens beating the dolphins and then beating Titans . i don't know if we end up with the chargers or Colts, but I think we could beat either one of them. I really don't see the Broncos going to SD and winning this week. And unless the Jets really all of a sudden get their crap together I really don't see them beating the dolphins and I really don't see the jags beating the Ravens unless of course they look past them a little bit.

Wow, that is a ramble isn't it?

--- Added 12/23/2008 at 03:18 PM ---

The easiest game the Steelers could hope for would be the Miami Dolphins I believe the first week of the divisional round. Now I know they are playing really well right now and are hot but I think if they would end up beating the Jets this week and winning the division and somehow end up beating the Ravens in the wildcard round the following week in Miami they will be totally out of gas by the time they come to Pittsburgh the following week for their first playoff game. This is who the Steelers would play if Miami wins this week against the Jets and wins the following week at home in their wildcard game whoever they would play because they would be the 3 seed and the 3 seed always plays the 2 seed no matter in the divisional round if they win. As I said the Titans could end up getting a tougher first game by getting the number 1 seed since the lower seeded teams in the AFC this year the Colts and Ravens as the 5 and the 6 seed are much better teams I think then the 3 and 4 seeds will end up being. If you're going to root for anybody to win the next 2 weeks root for the Miami Dolphins because I think they would have no chance of coming in here and winning on divisional weekend after having to win all these tough emotional games for this many weeks in a row. Plus, it would be nice to have the whole Joey Porter thing as well to talk about behind this game should the Steelers meet the Dolphins.

i could maybe see that. I do think your right that if they beat the Ravens they will come to our house tired and ready to get wooped.