PDA

View Full Version : Cowher's ire raised by towel stomping

Captcoolhand
12-23-2008, 10:09 AM
For a couple of minutes, Bill Cowher nearly forgot he wasn't the Pittsburgh Steelers coach any longer.

Cowher, a CBS-TV studio analyst since resigning in Pittsburgh nearly two years ago, became animated on the air while watching Titans players Keith Bulluck and LenDale White stomp on a Terrible Towel near the end of Tennessee's 31-14 victory Sunday.

The moment produced a flashback for Cowher, who was well known for his competitiveness and respect-the-game mentality while coaching the Steelers from 1992 to 2006.

"That looks like a pregame talk the night before to me," Cowher said, his eyes lighting up and his voice rising. "If [we'd] meet in the postseason, I know what I'm pulling out the night before the game."

Cowher admonished White by saying, "You've got to learn ... I wouldn't do this, I wouldn't go there" and said Bulluck should know better because, "You are a veteran, Bulluck."

The Titans' lack of respect for the Steelers' symbol almost seemed enough to motivate Cowher to return to the sideline, if only for one game.

Cowher's implied message to the Titans: There's a way to win in the NFL and that wasn't it, and you might regret that little sideshow should the Steelers return to Nashville for the AFC Championship Game.

"I don't care, I don't care. ... That's just our stand," Bulluck said. "Anybody that's going to come through here in the playoffs, we plan to stomp them out."

Three years ago, Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh wiped his shoes with a Terrible Towel after Cincinnati won 38-31 in Pittsburgh in early December to all but clinch the AFC North. When the teams met again a month later in Cincinnati, the Steelers, motivated by Houshmandzadeh's display, won 31-17 for the first of their three conference road playoff wins that led to the Super Bowl.

Afterward, a revved-up Cowher was caught by NFL Films mocking the Bengals' "Who Dey" chant in the locker room by yelling, "We Dey, We Dey, We Dey!"

Titans coach Jeff Fisher wasn't happy fielding so many questions about the stomping.

"This was just a couple guys playing around with a towel. It was unnecessary in my opinion," Fisher said.I'm sure that Cowher made his phone calls to Tomlin and the rest of the Steelers organization.

Jeff Fisher should be unhappy...If he really wants to convice himself that it was just play, really has life F*cked up.....:rant2:

If stomping the Towel does this to us the Fans, what does it do to all those that are behind what this Towel relly stands for.....

The Titans want respect… they will not get it by acting childish and ignorant.
Maybe the Titans should learn where all the money goes for every Towel sold.. autism and other disabilities.

In 1996 Myron Cope donated The Terrible Towel® trademark to Allegheny Valley School - to help provide quality services to children and adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities.

From that day forward, the proceeds from the sale of any “Terrible Stuff” have come to Allegheny Valley School.

During the past 11 years, contributions from The Terrible Towel® have brought Allegheny Valley School more than $2.2 million.

The funds that Allegheny Valley School receives from The Terrible Towel® are used to help cover costs such as equipment, program expansion and renovations to our facilities.
— Madison86

Reg
12-23-2008, 10:54 AM
This is right up (or down) there with when then-Niner T.O. posed on the star in Texas stadium. I say to Steelers fans the same thing I said then to my fellow Cowboys fans who went all bonkers...Symbols are just that...symbols. It's just paint (or dye) on some material, not a supernatural object meriting worship.

P.S. Due to the publicity, the towel sales-proceeds for autism prolly just went way up, "thanks" to the Titans...if supporting autism research/cure is REALLY important to you. Is it?

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 10:58 AM
:clueless:

yinzer
12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
This is right up (or down) there with when then-Niner T.O. posed on the star in Texas stadium. I say to Steelers fans the same thing I said then to my fellow Cowboys fans who went all bonkers...Symbols are just that...symbols. It's just paint (or dye) on some material, not a supernatural object meriting worship.

P.S. Due to the publicity, the towel sales-proceeds for autism prolly just went way up, "thanks" to the Titans...if supporting autism research/cure is REALLY important to you. Is it?

well, from the sound of your post, you have absolutely no clue about autism, how many children it affects, causes, treatment, etc.

Captcoolhand
12-23-2008, 11:14 AM
That's the problem people have about this whole thing. Nobody wants to look at the big picture.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
If what u are saying is true reg than why do ur avatar says RESPECT the star? dude get an life an go to the Cowgirls message board with that B.S:rant2:

AZ_Steeler
12-23-2008, 12:38 PM
"I don't care, I don't care. ... That's just our stand," Bulluck said. "Anybody that's going to come through here in the playoffs, we plan to stomp them out."
Bullock obviously forgot something... the game they just played against the Steelers wasn't a playoff game. It may have been for home field advantage but it definitely wasn't a playoff game because the Steelers, more than likely, will be back!

KSSteelerfan
12-23-2008, 01:50 PM

You totally miss the whole point of the towel. Put yourself in our shoes. If your cowboy Star were printed on a towel and the said sale of those towels benefited a charity, say for example, to feed the homeless in the Dallas metro area, and the Titans did the same thing to your towel, would you be happy about it? I don't think so.....but then again since its just a symbol to you you might not be upset about it. I am assuming you would be upset, but then again you know what happens when one assumes.

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 01:56 PM
I am assuming you would be upset, but then again you know what happens when one assumes.

Yeah, you make an a$$ out of Reg...:lol:

KSSteelerfan
12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah, you make an a$$ out of Reg...:lol:

:yellowthumb:

RW318
12-23-2008, 07:30 PM
If what u are saying is true reg than why do ur avatar says RESPECT the star? dude get an life an go to the Cowgirls message board with that B.S:rant2:

poor baby.

i'm not quite sure he said anything wrong. By the responses you'd think he said "Only pussies get autism and it's not worth raising money for". Everyone knows it's serious.....all he said was it will now most than likely get a little more attention which will aid the cause. You may be a little butt hurt right now bot come on......

yinzer
12-23-2008, 09:28 PM
poor baby.

i'm not quite sure he said anything wrong. By the responses you'd think he said "Only pussies get autism and it's not worth raising money for". Everyone knows it's serious.....all he said was it will now most than likely get a little more attention which will aid the cause. You may be a little butt hurt right now bot come on......

and the douche of the year award goes to..........

ejsteeler
12-24-2008, 09:46 AM
what do you expect from a couple of cowgirl fans who are mad their team will not even make the playoffs....:lol:

LarryNJ
12-24-2008, 12:07 PM
“Why would it be a big deal? That if we play [the Steelers] again, they’ll play harder? I don’t think so,” Fisher told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. “They always play hard.

“I mean, I know we weren’t happy to have 10,000 people in our stadium waving those yellow towels. It’s a tremendous commentary on the great fan base the Steelers have, but I’m sure our guys didn’t like it. They’re a good football team. They have our respect, and I’m sure we have their respect. But this isn’t a big deal to me.”

hahaha..it had nothing to do with the Steelers, it's us fans that they hate! It will be a none issue when the Colts or Ravens knock them out in the first round!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Damn straight Cowher! I like how he came to the defense of something so important to the Steeler fans, the team, and the city. That's why I like him on the pregame shows now, he ads that competitive edge and fire to it. He's exactly right and IF we get to meet the Titans again in the playoffs or next season you can bet your last dollar Tomlin will be plastering those pictures of the Titans disgracing the Terrible Towel all over the Steelers complex!

Reg
12-24-2008, 01:15 PM
First of all...I'm not trying to disrespect the Steelers or you fans with my comments. As I CLEARLY stated, I say the same thing to my fellow Cowboys fans who similarly go absolutely ape **** about that friggin blue star! I've been to Texas Stadium and stood on the star...simply to be able to say I did it, due to its historical significance in sports in general and moreso to Cowboys Nation. I reached down and touched it, and after intense inspection, I confirmed my previous suspicions that God didn't (directly) make it, nor does He take time off on Sundays to watch His favorite team play on it. It, in fact, comprises pellets of ground-up used tires (Jerry keeps a big pile of it next to the stadium parking lot), colored with blue paint. Therefore, I find worshiping the star to be...well...heathen.

For me, this is more about how sports have transcended fun and competition, becoming statements...nee...RELIGIOUS FERVOR, encompassing entire pockets of civilization. It's the epitome of the reason that the word "fan" originated from the word, "fanatic". It's the modern equivalent of one prehistoric tribe declaring war on another tribe because that tribe spat on a wall drawing of the first tribe's favorite goat!

And if any of you think for one second that those Titans players were dissing autistic children or that such even crossed their minds, then you're kidding yourselves...and no one else. They were making a statement that they had just kicked the Steelers asses...as is their right to do and your right not to like. Do you folks think that Titans players & fans LIKE the Steelers? Do you expect them to BOW and KNEEL to the Steelers? Are you surprised and/or hurt when fans in opposing cities BOO the Steelers? So, why get all NUTSO about what those players did to a piece of colored cloth?

Your "gotchas" re: my avatar are actually validations of my point. Since you, like MOST fan(atic)s of ALL teams, want...nee...EXPECT everyone everywhere to respect your team and its symbols, you assume that I do also. WRONG! To the contrary, I have more sense than to think or expect that anyone not a Cowboys fan gives a flying frog about that star. My avatar is simply one of a ZILLION that I randomly use...I just never change it here cuz I don't come here much. It's the Cowboys fan equivalent of a Democrat carrying a "Vote For Obama" sign outside the Republican National Convention...knowing that the request on the sign ain't gonna happen. So, I could care less what anyone says about my avatar. Moreso, I would think you strange if you respected it.

Yalls be cool. Later!

Oh...I forgot....:cope:

RW318
12-24-2008, 03:15 PM
and the douche of the year award goes to..........

it probably goes to the fool calling people douches because he lacks reading comprehension skills.....might wanna get that fixed if you're gonna be on the internet

BlitzburghNation
12-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Damn straight Cowher! I like how he came to the defense of something so important to the Steeler fans, the team, and the city. That's why I like him on the pregame shows now, he ads that competitive edge and fire to it. He's exactly right and IF we get to meet the Titans again in the playoffs or next season you can bet your last dollar Tomlin will be plastering those pictures of the Titans disgracing the Terrible Towel all over the Steelers complex!

Well put TG :clap:
Since the 'chin' went to CBS i've watched that pre-game show,,,,,,he's great and he'll always be a STEELER in my book :tt02:

TampaSteelGirl
12-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Cowher will always be a Steeler, it's nice to see his passion for them still! I love Coach Cowher and miss him but really like Tomlin as well. I"m happy to see that Coach Cowher has loyality to the Steelers and the fans!! :tt02:

Silverback
12-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Wtf is a Dallas fan doing here anyway? **** Dallas.

SteelersWoman
12-26-2008, 04:59 AM
To me, grinding a heel into it, stomping on it, blowing your nose on it, wiping your feet with it--whatever--is TOTALLY poor sportsmanship and childishness. Hate to see someone who's supposed to be a professional and a grown man behaving in such a manner, and hate to think that our kids are looking up to these idiots...sure hope they don't feel that's a normal way to behave. A TWO year old would find it acceptable I guess, but I wouldn't want my 12 yr old acting like that.

Oh--and the way Fisher's handling this, I can see why the player's think it's "ok". Lewis's players thought the same thing. Apple doesn't fall far, does it? Lack of respect at the top will always show lack of respect at the bottom.