PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers the next 2-3 weeks in practice...

Troyisabeast_43
12-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Need to somehow someway no matter what they need to do or what they need to change they MUST find a way to fix this offense and just keep working on trying new things non-stop each and every single hour of the day they practice leading up until that first playoff game. Now Mike Tomlin is not a moron he is pretty good head coach and he has got to know by now that it is blatantly obvious that this team just cannot run the football period especially when they try and run it with Willie Parker behind this patched up offensive line. Mewelde Moore has had more success running the football and just doing everything out of the backfield mainly because I think he fits how this offense is run a lot better then a guy like Parker does. But still, the bottom line is Tomlin and Arians need to come to a conclusion and face reality once and for all that THIS TEAM CANNOT RUN THE FOOTBALL PERIOD. So with that being said, they need to focus the next 2-3 weeks before their first playoff game in just running the kind of offense that the Patriots did last year when they were blowing teams out and that is a 4-5 wide spread offense and basically throwing it on every single down. It is the only chance I think right now for this offense to save itself and score some points in the playoffs. Arians did this in the playoff game against the Steelers as the Browns offensive coordinator in 2002 and it worked, and it's time for him to start doing it right here right now and start doing it this week against the Browns in this practice game at Heinz Field Sunday. If this offense continues to stay status quo and run with one back sets and they keep trying to pound Parker up the middle on first and second down especially inside the ten and on the goaline the same exact things are going to keep happening.

This offense while the line is not very good at all has performed better over the last few weeks and the offense has enough weapons on it with Ward,Holmes,Miller,Nate,Moore,and even Sweed that if they throw the ball 85-90 percent of the time in a 4-5 wide set they are going to have success I feel and be able to score more points then what they are doing right now. I dont want to hear you need to have a running game in the playoffs to win because I dont think you do. Look at 2005 Ben Roethlisberger got to the Super Bowl by winning those 3 playoff games that he did by throwing the football more then running it. It can be done and this offense with Ben running it that way has had success in the past with the same guys and can have success with it again if Tomlin and Arians will start doing this and start doing it right now.

The bottom line is the next 2-3 weeks something has got to be done with this offense by Tomlin and Arians in terms of changing the philosophy and trying something anything new that can maybe work better then what is working now. I guarantee if this offense would run a spread formation on mostly every series they would be able to score more points and be able to get up on teams in the playoffs instead of having these down to the wire close games where they need to depend on the defense not giving up a single TD to win the damn game. This offense staying the same and not changing things is going to be the downfall of this Steelers team in here in the playoffs should they lose.

Like I stated at the start of this post there are 2-3 weeks before the Steelers first playoff game and every single day in practice and that includes the Browns game this Sunday between now and Jan 10 or 11, they need to strictly focus on finding a way to fix this offense and giving themselves a chance to score more points. At this point going to a spread offense and a 4-5 wide set 85-90 percent of the time is the ONLY way I believe for this offense to save themselves and maybe get on track.

AZ_Steeler
12-22-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm not opposed to the 4-5 wide spread and throwing it every down.. I mean after all that is how they came from behind in the final few minutes to beat the Ravens. Hammer home that quick slant and then when the defense thinks they have it covered you throw in the quick out. The start alternating that quick in with a quick out and then BAM you go deep!

BR7
12-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Isn't that supposed to be BA's specialty? Isn't that why he was brought here?? I've been waiting for the 4 - 5 WR sets for years, lol. Now c'mon... you know the 3 TE sets take 9/10s of the playbook, what will we ever do with out those? The other 1/10 is the trips bunch.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Arians is supposed to be all about the same type of offense the Colts run, the spread it out, pick em apart, run the ball type of thing that can wear down defenses and keep the blitz honest. Can somebody tell me if we've seen that yet because I sure as hell haven't! Everytime, and I mean nearly every friggin time we run the no huddle, go spread offense, roll out Ben to avoid the pressure, or use the quick passing game it always friggin works but the second we start doing it Arians has a damn brain lapse and goes back to the run up the middle and fall down offense.

If this team would just play to it's strengths instead of beating it's freekin head against the wall by trying to do something we can't we might actually have an offense!

LatrobePA
12-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Don't shoot me fellas but here is my take:

Ben is a game manager, point simple, they are giving him too much control, I'm not sure if they (BA & MT) are trying to cover up for BA's worthless *** or what. Ben isn't a gun slinger either, he needs a balanced game plan, run run, pass etc etc.

We are too one dimensional....

Steelersfan
12-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Don't shoot me fellas but here is my take:

Ben is a game manager, point simple, they are giving him too much control, I'm not sure if they (BA & MT) are trying to cover up for BA's worthless *** or what. Ben isn't a gun slinger either, he needs a balanced game plan, run run, pass etc etc.

We are too one dimensional....

One dimensional? This offense has no dimension at all......lol Can't run or pass with any consistancy.
Best thing for this offense is to spread the field so the D can't focus on the run. Use some play action and have Ben take off and run when people aren't open. They should go no huddle too. That's not saying they need to speed up the game but I would sure like to see a snap for once with more than 2 seconds left on the play clock!

DIESELMAN
12-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Hell of a time to try and fix the offense, right before playoffs...LMAO!!! If we go deep into the playoffs, it will be because of the D and some more heroic comebacks by Ben. Arians does NOT Get It!!!!! Hes a ****ing retard, the only thing good he's done in his worthless career was to land a job as the QB coach for Manning when he hit the Colts. OC for the Brownies? LMAO!!! See where that got him......he was a QB for like a half a season in Virginia somewhere.....ain't played ****, ain't done ****!!!!!

LatrobePA
12-22-2008, 08:44 PM
One dimensional? This offense has no dimension at all......lol Can't run or pass with any consistancy.
Best thing for this offense is to spread the field so the D can't focus on the run. Use some play action and have Ben take off and run when people aren't open. They should go no huddle too. That's not saying they need to speed up the game but I would sure like to see a snap for once with more than 2 seconds left on the play clock!

Well said, I wanted to say that but didn't want to be too ******!

NCSteeler
12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
This is not the time to try and install different things, they need to review the tape of the season and see what is working is. spread the field screw the run and F'n go with it.

SteelerSal
12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Hell of a time to try and fix the offense, right before playoffs...LMAO!!! If we go deep into the playoffs, it will be because of the D and some more heroic comebacks by Ben. Arians does NOT Get It!!!!! Hes a ****ing retard, the only thing good he's done in his worthless career was to land a job as the QB coach for Manning when he hit the Colts. OC for the Brownies? LMAO!!! See where that got him......he was a QB for like a half a season in Virginia somewhere.....ain't played ****, ain't done ****!!!!!

:clap: Don't hold anything back Tom!!!:lol: :plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

Iron City South
12-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Ben's had a bad year, but Ben is not the problem with our offense people. The problem is much deeper and compounded by the fact that we have a **** for brains simple minded Off. Coordinator who has no clue the identity of the unit he is trying to create.

Ben is trying to overcompensate for a totally slop-**** rag-tag offensive line. A line who ... make no mistake about it .... would be sitting the bench on ANY other team in the NFL.

Stlrs4Life
12-22-2008, 10:45 PM
It's like a broken record. we will not be able to run the ball until we utilize a FB. And that isn't going to happen any time soon. We are stuck with what we have right now until the end of the season.

Troyisabeast_43
12-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Well if they arent going to fix it now they are never going to fix it. This is the right time to start changing things and experimenting with things this week against the Browns in this meaningless game, and in practice the next 2-3 weeks leading up to the first playoff game on January 10th or 11th. What is the worst thing that is going to happen to this Steelers offense lead by Arians if they dont try and go 4-5 wide and spread the field will they not score a lot of points?? Oh that's right there not doing that now anyway. We have seen Ben operate from the shotgun and no huddle and the 4-5 wides a lot and have more success with it then he has had failure. Look at the damn Jags playoff game last season for crying out loud when they finally went to the no huddle and spread the field with 4 and 5 wide type of offense they came back down 28-10 and took a 29-28 lead in the game and should have won. What the hell is it going to take for Tomlin and Arians to realize that this team the way this offense is built with the one back set and a not so good offensive line that they simply cannot run the ball period. It doesnt take an effin genius to figure this out. The way Tomlin and Arians run this offense is complete insanity because they do the exact samething time and time again when it's NOT WORKING which is the full definition of the word INSANITY...

DBR96A
12-22-2008, 11:31 PM
The offense has sputtered for several reasons...

1. The offensive line is inconsistent, both in run blocking and pass protection.
2. We don't use a fullback enough.
3. We like to run the same plays in the same situations over and over again.
4. The WRs lack focus.
5. Aside from Mewelde Moore, the RBs haven't been healthy.
6. We switch RBs too much, which kills any game momentum they get.
7. Ben Roethlisberger has been beaten by a pinata, resulting in more mistakes than normal.

It's too late to fix any of that now. We're going to have to wait until the 2009 season.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-22-2008, 11:44 PM
:tt02:They need to stop being so predictable on Offense how's that's for starters:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I just don't get why Ben loves Arians so much...the only thing I can think of is that he lets him call his own plays at the line in the no huddle but other than that how can you possibly like an OC that is as predictable as ours is and one that hampers the offense by continuously making them work against themselves.

You can't really fire an OC in the regular season nor can you really expect the offense to change much if at all heading into the post season so we're stuck with what we have for better or probably worse. The competition is elevated in the playoffs but it's not like we haven't played against nearly every good team in the NFL so far this year so from a competition standpoint we're ready, on Defense you know they'll be ready and out to avenge that poor showing in TN last Sunday, ST will be ready for Cribbs to try and return but will the offense be ready?

DIESELMAN
12-23-2008, 04:20 AM
What the hell is it going to take for Tomlin and Arians to realize that this team the way this offense is built with the one back set and a not so good offensive line that they simply cannot run the ball period. It doesnt take an effin genius to figure this out. The way Tomlin and Arians run this offense is complete insanity because they do the exact samething time and time again when it's NOT WORKING which is the full definition of the word INSANITY...
Thats my point, we've been doing this for 16 weeks and nothing has changed. We know what needs to change and what needs to happen but its obvious that the coaching staff doesn't see it the way we see it.

NCSteeler
12-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Well if they arent going to fix it now they are never going to fix it. This is the right time to start changing things and experimenting with things this week against the Browns in this meaningless game, and in practice the next 2-3 weeks leading up to the first playoff game on January 10th or 11th. What is the worst thing that is going to happen to this Steelers offense lead by Arians if they dont try and go 4-5 wide and spread the field will they not score a lot of points?? Oh that's right there not doing that now anyway. We have seen Ben operate from the shotgun and no huddle and the 4-5 wides a lot and have more success with it then he has had failure. Look at the damn Jags playoff game last season for crying out loud when they finally went to the no huddle and spread the field with 4 and 5 wide type of offense they came back down 28-10 and took a 29-28 lead in the game and should have won. What the hell is it going to take for Tomlin and Arians to realize that this team the way this offense is built with the one back set and a not so good offensive line that they simply cannot run the ball period. It doesnt take an effin genius to figure this out. The way Tomlin and Arians run this offense is complete insanity because they do the exact samething time and time again when it's NOT WORKING which is the full definition of the word INSANITY...

You definitely want your guys going out on the field with plays they have only been running a few weeks working on timing and learning new things in the face of the best teams in the playoffs. Does that make any sense? A lot of interceptions on misrun routes alot of fumbles on screwed up hand offs. It takes months to install new plays and schemes to an offense.

JensK
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
You definitely want your guys going out on the field with plays they have only been running a few weeks working on timing and learning new things in the face of the best teams in the playoffs. Does that make any sense? A lot of interceptions on misrun routes alot of fumbles on screwed up hand offs. It takes months to install new plays and schemes to an offense.

No... Let me take you back to the SB in 05. Steelers run a reverse, randle el throws the ball to hines and TD! (im just kidding, ofc you know that play ;P)... That was a play which they had been training between the championship game and the SB. Obviously they have had it in the playbook for some time, but they did not practise it before those two weeks... Also, Ben throws quiet a few Interceptions with the playcalling already. I dont see the difference between throwing interceptions on old plays or new plays

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 01:42 PM
I dont see the difference between throwing interceptions on old plays or new plays

:lol:

NCSteeler
12-23-2008, 05:28 PM
No... Let me take you back to the SB in 05. Steelers run a reverse, randle el throws the ball to hines and TD! (im just kidding, ofc you know that play ;P)... That was a play which they had been training between the championship game and the SB. Obviously they have had it in the playbook for some time, but they did not practise it before those two weeks... Also, Ben throws quiet a few Interceptions with the playcalling already. I dont see the difference between throwing interceptions on old plays or new plays

Not quite a new play , and I'm sure wehn you see something new they are practicing it a long time before you see it on the field.

In week 10 against the Browns, the Steelers had the ball near midfield and were nursing a lead. They wanted to break the game wide open, so they called a gadget play that saw Antwaan Randel El take the ball on a reverse, then heave it downfield to a wide open Hines Ward. It was one of the best plays of the year. Well, guess what - the Steelers ran the EXACT same play to perfection against the Seahawks! Randel El hit a streaking Hines Ward for a 43 yard touchdown, and just like that, the Steelers were once again up by two scores. It was a gutsy call at the perfect time.