PDA

View Full Version : Worst Week - My Rant

Steelers70
12-22-2008, 04:06 AM
I can honestly say this has been one of the worst weeks for me. My elderly parents live with my wife and I, and early Tuesday morning my mother passed away. She was 68 and in extremely bad health, so it really wasn't a shock, but it was sad none-the-less. My father then watched the Thursday night game between his Jags and the Colts and I spent the game with him in sombre quiet reflection. Spending what quality time I could with him even though his team lost. He said the hardest part was that he and my mother had watched every game of the Jags, since their inception, that was televised. I spent every day this week fielding calls and trying to insulate my father from the inane redundant conversations that came along. Don't get me wrong here, all family members wish to call to offer condolances in times of hardship, but after a dozen calls where every conversation was a repeat of the last and only served to remind us that our loved one was dead quickly made me cringe when the phone would ring. Then Sunday my beloved Steelers played some of the worst football I'd seen them play since the end of Chuck Noll's tenure with the team.

4 turnovers by the franchise QB who really is one of the best no matter what any nay sayer may opine. We got treated to sub-par run and pass protections from the number one defense in the league, and a completely non-existant running game, offensive blocking schemes that were inadequite and predictable. It was the perfect cap to a very bad week. But the real blame, to me anyway, for the Steelers performance, wasn't that the Titans were the better team this given Sunday. It wasn't a tired defense that has been overly relied upon for a whole season. And it truely wasn't Big Ben. No it was my now archnemesis Bruce Arians.

I've really gotten to where I can't stand this person. For a man that prides himself on not allowing my personal emotions to interfere with my article writing, at least very much, this one has gotten on my nerves from the first day he took the job. Each week is worse than the week before under Arians' offense. Each play that isn't called by our quarterback is suspect and questionable. Ben has had to be the "fireman" much like his idol Elway in all too many games. Coming from behind to win games in all rights that should have been lost during the closing minutes of the fourth quarter. It's during the no huddle when Ben calls the plays and during that same no huddle where the Steelers have put together some of their best drives and most exciting football. I really wish they had allowed Ben to be the offensive coordinator for the whole of the season. perhaps we could have been the first team since the 72 dolphins that have gone all the way through the Super Bowl undefeated. Perhaps not also though in all fairness. But under Arian's we have only won when the game is turned over to our star QB or our defense has a flawless game.

Bruce Arians says he doesn't care what the fans think, or what the players and critics say... He intends to do it his way to the end. And since we're 2nd seed in the playoffs it's too much to hope that Rooney will personally drag him across the lobby of their offices and fling him bodily to the pavement outside with the final advice that the road runs both ways and Rooney doesn't care which way Arians chooses to go so long as he does. The very thought warms my heart in this sombre, cold week. In all probability, Arians will only leave us if another team, doing far worse, offers him their Head Coaching position. Browns, Bengals, Rams, Lions, Raiders, and Kansas City all seem like excellent choices.

Our quarterback has set continous records in the franchise and in the NFL since his rookie year and even now with his less than stellar year, he is third in the running for MVP of the year. He is the winningest quarterback in his first 5 seasons of any quarterback that has ever played in the NFL, youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, first and only rookie quarterback in the NFL to win 15 straight games, has set franchise records for most touchdowns, passer rating, and on top of that has never lost a game in Ohio or finished a season with less than a .500 season. On top of all that he also has around 4 games per season for winning drives on a par to break Elway's record whom the later is known as the master of the winning drive. But he has also been one of the most sacked quarterbacks in the NFL, and in that there is plenty of blame to go around including his holding the ball a bit long.

The biggest problem with this last statistic is that it will considerably shorten his career. He will likely never see the 17 years or so some of the top Hall of Fame quarterbacks saw. He'll be entirely too banged up for it. And with each sack it gets worse. The same goes for our Running game. Under Arians' time as the Steelers' OC, they've seen more, and exponentally severe injuries to the running backs that play for our team. Willie Parker will never see the Hall of Fame under him, Mendenhall will be gone in a few seasons before he can prove anything and eventually even Moore will be too banged up to do more than make token attempts at the run. It's not even like Willie Parker has remained quiet about it either. He recently talked about the TE running schemes and how predictable it was, about Steelers brand of football and how important it was to our success. I'd not be surprised to see on of the top running backs in the NFL ask to be allowed out of his contract this next season so he can go play for a real offense. I wouldn't blame him either.

There is a chance though we can turn this all around. We can pray to our maker that Bruce Arians be offered a Head Coaching job after this season. Preferably one with a team far from Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure that the Steelers organization would likely show up in full to help him pack after today's crap fest of play calling. Hell. I'd even volunteer for that one. Unlike Mike Tomlin, I don't see a promising future for Arians. Instead I see irreversable damage to many of our key players, and slow slide into the abyss of needing to rebuild. It could easily be another twenty years before we get to see our team in another Super Bowl as long as he is designing the offense for the Steelers.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Bruce Arians getting offered a Head Coaching position is now on the top of my Christmas wish list.

-Steelers70

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks so much for the article man, we appreciate your work. Im sorry to hear about your mom's passing we'll keep you a good thought for you and your family during this time.

DIESELMAN
12-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your mom passing away, my thoughts and prayers out to you and your family.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Bruce Arians getting offered a Head Coaching position is now on the top of my Christmas wish list.

I'm with you on that bro....thats about the only way we'll see him gone. I'm also praying for a miracle, that the FO and/or Tomlin will look back and reflect on a season that could've been had it not been for the irresponsible play calling of Arians and cut his *** loose.

steelers4life66
12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your mother bro. All I can offer is my prayers and be thankful for the time you had. My father died at the age of 42 I was 11 and I sure wish I gotten to know him better.

KSSteelerfan
12-22-2008, 01:35 PM
My condolences to you, your father and to the rst of your family on the loss of a truly loved mom.

Also good article on Arians. He definitely needs to go. Who will actually man up and make that decision remains to be seen. I definitely don't want the Steelers have to go thru another horrible game like that again. I'm with ya.....Arians needs to be offered a head coaching position with a college team so that he can tank somebody else's program. Anyplace but here please.

SteelerBee43
12-22-2008, 05:10 PM
So sorry for your loss and your Dad's loss as well...especially this close to Christmas..I still have my Mom but my husband lost his Mom to cancer almost 2 years ago.The first Christmas without her was the hardest because she trully had the Christmas spirit..I hope your Dad deals with her loss better than my Father-in-law has,he's still grieving her loss.My :pray: ers to you and your family....

BlitzburghNation
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
So sorry for your loss,,,,,,,I can relate & i feel your pain !

Steelers70
12-22-2008, 07:40 PM
I appreciate all the well wishes. Thank you guys. It's been trying, but it's always a part of everyone's life.

I like the idea of a college getting Arians... Take him out of the league altogether. But if not a college, then perhaps a team we don't care for within the league. lol

-Steelers70

Stlrs4Life
01-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your mom.

Bucsfan4ever
01-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Mom.

Read your entire article...interesting even to a Bucs fan and very well written!

Always wish a win for my Steeler friends!

lloydfan4life
01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Not to sound redundant, but I too am very sorry to hear about the loss of your mom.

May you carry many great memories of her with you the rest of your days!

Great article too! :cope: