PDA

View Full Version : Should Batch play regardless if Ben is ready to go or not ?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 12:26 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_476377.html

There's a good article that talks about Charlie and how he's good player to have right now. He can run the offense well and the team has confidence in him.

The question is, even if the Doctors clear him to play this week, maybe we should go with Charlie against the Raiders and give Ben an extra week to get his head cleared. It's a tough call because you don't want him out too long and have him get rusty again if you can help it. But if they say he's fine, maybe he should have 1 extra week to heal up.

Obviously if he's not ready we're in good shape this week with Charlie in there. His health comes first.

Steelersfan
10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
I agree. Start Batch and give Ben a week to recover. Like I said in another post we should be able to beat the Raiders easily with Batch. If not then we aren't going anywhere this year......lol

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Ive got enough confidence in Charlie to lead us this week if we need it. I certainly don't want Ben out of the game if he's healthy and ready to go but if there is even the slightest doubt, stick Charlie in and let him go get us a win !

Steelerlyn
10-24-2006, 12:49 AM
If Ben is healthy he should play. Batch is a backup for a reason.

Now, there is soreness which is part of the game and why Tiki Barber is retiring and why Bettis retired, Then there are serious health issues.

If Ben is sore from being knocked around well that is just part of the game.

If Ben is unhealthy per the team doctors, he definitely should not play, unless he is out per the team doctors he definitely should be under center.

:banana: :lol: :bigthumb:

Prosdo
10-24-2006, 12:49 AM
If Ben is ready I say dress him incase we really need him, but I'm comfortable with Charlie starting.

Koopa
10-24-2006, 12:50 AM
if ben is ready, start him, gotta pad those stats and get his confedince up as much as possible

augustashark
10-24-2006, 12:55 AM
If he can go then he plays. When you fall off the horse you get up (if you can) and get right back on. He was on a good roll the last two games and I think if healthy he can continue to roll. IMO.

Steelersfan
10-24-2006, 01:20 AM
I agree with you all for the most part but just don't forget it wasn't that long ago that Ben had is face planted into a car. The coaching staff needs to keep a close eye on him after getting hit to the head like he was.
I want Ben out there if he is %100 right now. If not let him heal and use Batch.

BBG7
10-24-2006, 01:52 AM
My opinion is if Ben is healthy, he needs to play. He is our QB However, if he is not healthy, I know Batch can handle it!

AZ_Steeler
10-24-2006, 01:52 AM
My only concern is he takes a week off then he's rusty for the Bronco game. I don't care if it the Raiders the Steelers are playing this week, get a big lead bring in Batch midway through the 3rd and give Ben his time off. But Ben taking a week off isn't good... as we all know!

House of Steel
10-24-2006, 10:00 AM
My only concern is he takes a week off then he's rusty for the Bronco game. I don't care if it the Raiders the Steelers are playing this week, get a big lead bring in Batch midway through the 3rd and give Ben his time off. But Ben taking a week off isn't good... as we all know!

Great point, AZ, took that right out of my thinking cap. I agree wholeheartly on this one.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 11:00 AM

That's what Im worried about too..when you play the bronco's defense you can't afford to give up any opportunities to score and he's rusty it could spell trouble for us.

I know his health comes first and if he still has cobwebs come this weekend then he'll just need to sit. He's gotten back into his rythmn in the last 2 weeks so hopefully that will help continue to carry him either way.

SteelersWoman
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
If he's healthy, play him the whole game. If it's still questionable, put Charlie in. He can get the job done for us, I just think we should use our starter whenever possible.

But I'm not adverse to Big Ben doing the 3 quarter thing and then sitting out the last one (or even two) if he needs to--just as long as he gets some good play in before taking the bench.

Troyisabeast_43
10-24-2006, 03:33 PM
But the rust has already been taken off Ben I think here the last 3-4 games. He has been performing in the KC and Atlanta games here the last 2 weeks much like he did in the playoff and Super Bowl runs of a year ago. That being said I would start Batch against the Raiders this week because you are going to need Ben healthy and ready to go for the Broncos and Saints here at home the next 2 weeks. The bottom line is anyway you slice it the Steelers should be able to beat Oakland no matter who is playing quarterback. Oakland has a rookie QB playing, a backup running back it looks like if Lamont Jordan doesnt play, and a defense which isnt very good at all. Keep in mind the Cleveland Browns as bas as they are went down to Oakland 3-4 weeks ago and won. I think the Steelers can play a bad game even down there this week and still win this game thats how bad the Raiders are. For the Steelers to lose this game to Oakland it would take a complete and I mean a complete and total utter collapse much like Arizona had last week in Oakland when they lost. I dont think that will happen so you go with Batch and the Steelers if they play like they should and mistake free will win this game by 2 or 3 TDS easily I think.

PITT23
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, we're playing the Ravens and I think we could get out of this game scoring 13 points (but even with St. Pierre I think we would get more). Their offense absolutely sucks, and Andrew Walter is the worst starting QBin the league right now. Our defense was smacked by Atlanta but Oakland won't get more than a few Fg's off of us.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2006, 04:05 PM
If Ben is cleared to play then he plays. He is starting to get into rythem with the offense. So Ben needs to keep this going. I think Batch can beat the Raiders. But you draft a QB in the first round for a reason. I think Ben plays this week.

PITT23
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
This is the poll question on ESPN.com right now and 71% of people think Ben SHOULD NOT start...and I would have to agree. This isn't Indy or Cincy, this is Oakland...we could win with Hines at QB.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
The Raiders will be coming into this game with alot of confidence after winning, and everybody knows the raiders have always been one of the most penalized teams in NFL history so it's gonna be rough out there.

If Ben does start and he begins to feel the pressure and starts taking hits, we may want to get him out just to be safe.

House of Steel
10-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I am having second thoughts about Ben playing this weekend. I think the extra rest to heal from that mild concussion would do him a lot of good. But there is another side to this, he does this and we are going to find rust in his performance when taking on Denver. Basically, we would need him to perform against Oakland to keep the flow and rhythm going. If the Raiders play dirty, I am going to start some **** on the Raiders Board. I am dead serious too.

SteelersWoman
10-25-2006, 10:45 PM
this is Oakland...we could win with Hines at QB.

:hilarious: That cracked me up PITT--but it's probably true! I guess Hines wasn't too bad at QBing, and he could pinch hit in an emergency.

I don't understand why they said that he wouldn't be used like Antwaan was in trick plays--unless they've tried it, and Hines has lost the touch...but I'd sure like to see it happen--THAT would surprise some people!

K Train
10-26-2006, 11:31 PM
We can win with batch, but we dont need ben to regress again and become rusty after hes been on fire lately, we need him to stay in rythym because we have to beat oakland and denver and we need him for denver.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
After listening to the herd today on espn, Im more inclined to let Ben sit this weekend out. All the stories callers were talking about with concussion hallucinating, headaches, black outs, white outs, etc...combined with everyone else, damn I just dont know.

SteelersfaninPhilly
10-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Let ben rest.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-29-2006, 01:10 PM
We're about to find out today in just a few more hours ! :tt02: