PDA

View Full Version : Should the starters play in final game vs Browns?..12/23 Update, Starters to play

TampaSteelGirl
12-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Since we've already clinced the #2 seed wouldn't it make sense to sit our starters. THese last 2 games dont mean anything. We need our starters healthy..What do you think?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Absolutely, positively, a resounding NO ;) . You most definately play the starters next week for atleast a half. You can't have all your main guys sitting around doing nothing for the next 2 weeks, these guys need to get in there and mix it up next weekend and stay in that rhythm of continuously playing every weekend. We are not a good team coming off a by most weeks, the offense usually comes out flat and that has bit us in the rear many times before. Keep the starters in for atleast the first 30 minutes and then start pulling them, especially on offense.

They'll get plenty of time to rest after next weekend.

TampaSteelGirl
12-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I see your point. I didn't mean all at once and all game. Perhaps the players that have been battling injuries. It would be nice to see the defense get some kind of rest.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Overall this team right now with the exception of Marvel who might as well be on IR, and Keisel who is coming back from his knee, and now maybe Clark we're as healthy as we've been all year long at any given position. In theory it sounds like a good idea and in the past Cowher has sat starters when their playoff position was assured but I think in a case like this where our offense is so inconsistent that they need work and they need to get some momentum heading into the post season.

If I am Tomlin I keep Ben and the starting offense in for the entire first half and let them try and score some points and get some continuity and then pull Ben after that and let Leftwich finish out the game. Start pulling the rest of the starters as the 2nd half goes on.

On defense keep them in for the first half as well and then start pulling guys like Harrison, Polamalu,Aaron Smith, and Farrior in the 2nd half.

SteelCityMan786
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Absolutely not. Minimum 2-3 Quarters. They can't go into the playoffs not feeling good about themselves. If Cleveland starts playing dirty, then you pull them.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-21-2008, 08:37 PM
The way they played today i say HELL NO:nono:, they should play atleast the 1st half off the game next week:yesnod:, i don't want them going into the bye week with an performance like today:imho:

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I agree play the offense for a whole half and hopefully they will be able to put enough points on the board against a horrific Browns team where it you can then pull them and it leaves them at least feeling good about themselves going into the playoffs. The good news with the defense is Clark appears to be fine and he prob wont play next week which is fine. Like you said TG play the starters as well for a half and start pulling guys like Harrison Troy Smith, Farrior,and Woodley early 2nd half.

Clevelandsux
12-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I say the offense plays the first half for sure. Especially bigben.

TampaSteelGirl
12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes I see you all are right. Makes perfect sense. Ben really needs the practice, receivers need to hold onto the ball and we really need to perfect this running game. I agree with all of you.

Mike Tomlin
12-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Overall this team right now with the exception of Marvel who might as well be on IR, and Keisel who is coming back from his knee, and now maybe Clark we're as healthy as we've been all year long at any given position. In theory it sounds like a good idea and in the past Cowher has sat starters when their playoff position was assured but I think in a case like this where our offense is so inconsistent that they need work and they need to get some momentum heading into the post season.

If I am Tomlin I keep Ben and the starting offense in for the entire first half and let them try and score some points and get some continuity and then pull Ben after that and let Leftwich finish out the game. Start pulling the rest of the starters as the 2nd half goes on.

On defense keep them in for the first half as well and then start pulling guys like Harrison, Polamalu,Aaron Smith, and Farrior in the 2nd half.

You saved me alot of typing lol!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Its not really going to matter if the team plays the way it today......I'm just calling it like I see it but if the Steelers play like they did today then they will be one and done in the play-offs....I hope not.....

Zachintosh66
12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
were already gonna have one week off... no need to take 2, not to mention our O needs all the practice it can take

wouldnt be surprised to see a couple of them get rested tho... Clark, Harrison, Keisel, Willie, Ben perhaps... just the guys who are the worst for wear

Wouldnt mind seeing Dixon get some action... Start Leftwhich, with Dixon #2... Ben #3, just an idea

Koopa
12-21-2008, 11:02 PM
those bums need all the playing they can get, they need to play all four quarters.......... they got a bye week coming, and run the hell out of willie so hopefully he gets hurt and can't hurt us in the playoffs......... hell they should even use him on special teams to heighten the risk of injury

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Apparently Harrison is more than willing, atleast right now, to sit out the Cleveland game. Maybe his attitude will change as the week goes on and he gets some rest and treatment on that hip.

Trib... (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_603978.html)

These guys, if they are able to, need to play atleast awhile next weekend...they didn't show enough today to warrant sitting out this game especially with a bye in round 1.

Two of the Steelers' marquee players were banged up in a 31-14 loss Sunday to the Tennessee Titans. And neither quarterback Ben Roethlisberger nor outside linebacker James Harrison apparently would object if coach Mike Tomlin has them sit out the Steelers' regular-season finale next Sunday against the Browns. The Steelers (11-4) have clinched the AFC North title and No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.
When asked if he'd prefer to rest instead of play against the Browns, Harrison said: "It's really not that meaningful of a game, and the way I'm feeling right now? Yeah."
Harrison hurt his hip in the first quarter after diving while trying to tackle Titans running back Chris Johnson. He left the game briefly and returned after getting evaluated in the Steelers' locker room.
Roethlisberger left the visiting locker room at LP Stadium with his right ankle packed in ice. In addition to that, he had been slow getting up in the first quarter after taking a shot to the back on a David Thornton hit, which caused a fumble at the Titans' 1.
Roethlisberger said he could use an extra week of rest. "But," he added, "I want to get out there and get some snaps and see. That is Coach's call."

DanRooney
12-22-2008, 06:10 AM
those bums need all the playing they can get, they need to play all four quarters.......... they got a bye week coming, and run the hell out of willie so hopefully he gets hurt and can't hurt us in the playoffs......... hell they should even use him on special teams to heighten the risk of injury

:lol:

:plus1:

Ambridge
12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Hell Yes!!.......I'd play that entire Pathetic Offensive Unit for the entire game.

They don't deserve any rest-rewards or breaks!!
The offense plays like a bunch of collective slugs from week to week so I'd hate to think what these jokers would play like after sitting around for two weeks??

Steelersfan
12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Hell Yes!!.......I'd play that entire Pathetic Offensive Unit for the entire game.

They don't deserve any rest-rewards or breaks!!
The offense plays like a bunch of collective slugs from week to week so I'd hate to think what these jokers would play like after sitting around for two weeks??

I was thinking this same thing and was going to post exactly what you said myself and then it hit me.

Does anyone think playing one more game will help this offense out at all? I honestly don't think it will matter. They have played 15 games and it hasn't mattered. And even if Tomlin starts them for a half or something they will just go through the motions trying not to get hurt. I just watched a game like that yesterday where they didn't give a crap and don't need to watch another!

So I say hell with it and sit them all and let them get healthy and have no excuses come playoff time. Let's see what some of the 2nd and 3rd string guys have.

Stairwayto7
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
If we played well yesterday, then yes! But our offense needs confidence! And what better team to get it from? cleveland will want to play hard, so Im afraid of injuries. We do need to rest guys like Harrison, Woodley, Smith and co. Maybe pull them mid 3rd quarter, then they have another two weeks off. Besides with the Holiday, and nothing to play for, Im sure its a lite practice week

Captcoolhand
12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I was thinking this same thing and was going to post exactly what you said myself and then it hit me.

Does anyone think playing one more game will help this offense out at all? I honestly don't think it will matter. They have played 15 games and it hasn't mattered. And even if Tomlin starts them for a half or something they will just go through the motions trying not to get hurt. I just watched a game like that yesterday where they didn't give a crap and don't need to watch another!

So I say hell with it and sit them all and let them get healthy and have no excuses come playoff time. Let's see what some of the 2nd and 3rd string guys have.Ya, Being that you're in Maine, I'm sure you are talking about New England...That was'nt even a game....

I say we start Dixon. :yesnod: Give the Guy a good taste of Football before the season is over. This way Romeo Crenel can get fired on Monday thinking to himself, "Not only couldn't I beat the Steelers while coaching for the Browns, but their 3rd string beat us in the last game of the season.... :lol:

Steelersfan
12-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Ya, Being that you're in Maine, I'm sure you are talking about New England...That was'nt even a game....

Not sure what you are talking about Capt but I was referring to the Steelers game.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Whether it's going to help or not the team is already getting a week off, if Tomlin let's them all sit for 2 straight weeks we'll come out in the divisional round of the playoffs as flat as ever. It's not like we have some supersonic offense that doesn't need work; I mean hell even if they only play first half atleast it's field time and they arent just sitting around on the bench doing a whole lot of nothing. I say get them in there and play em for atleast alittle while then gradually start pulling the starters beginning with Ben, Hines, Harrison, A. Smith, Polamlu etc.

IMO they haven't earned the right to just chill out now and I think Tomlin realizes that while they need a break and they'll get it during the bye week he can't afford to let the reigns loose THAT much to not have the guys see action in the Browns game.

Is it going to help in the grand scheme of things with our offense? probably not...they've come this far with the offense they have (if you can call it an offense) but at the same time as inconsistent as we are we can't afford to get any worse.

Troyisabeast_43
12-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Whether it's going to help or not the team is already getting a week off, if Tomlin let's them all sit for 2 straight weeks we'll come out in the divisional round of the playoffs as flat as ever. It's not like we have some supersonic offense that doesn't need work; I mean hell even if they only play first half atleast it's field time and they arent just sitting around on the bench doing a whole lot of nothing. I say get them in there and play em for atleast alittle while then gradually start pulling the starters beginning with Ben, Hines, Harrison, A. Smith, Polamlu etc.

IMO they haven't earned the right to just chill out now and I think Tomlin realizes that while they need a break and they'll get it during the bye week he can't afford to let the reigns loose THAT much to not have the guys see action in the Browns game.

Is it going to help in the grand scheme of things with our offense? probably not...they've come this far with the offense they have (if you can call it an offense) but at the same time as inconsistent as we are we can't afford to get any worse.

I agree you gotta play guys here so they are sharp for the playoff game in 2 weeks. This especially goes for the offense and guys like Ben and company. You have to at least play Ben and a lot of the starters on offense for a half I think in this game to see if they can put some solid drives together and put some points on the board and maybe gain some kind of confidence and momentum going into the playoffs. The offense needs to go into that playoff game with a good feeling and having some confidence and that isnt going to be the case if Tomlin decides to sit Ben and the starters on offense on Sunday against the Browns.

DBR96A
12-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Play the starters for the first half, and then bring in the backups. Do not play the backups all game; I want our starters to get some game action, and 12-4 looks much prettier than 11-5.

Triple-S
12-23-2008, 03:21 AM
You guys will beat us with the backups.

So really no need to fret over this game what-so-ever.

I'm not kidding...the score will be 31-3 with the backups. The Browns have completely mailed it in this season.

DanRooney
12-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Rest everyone like its the start of a new season. Tomlin seems to have the team prepared at the beginning of the pre and regular seasons when all the guys are 100%.

JensK
12-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Rest everyone like its the start of a new season. Tomlin seems to have the team prepared at the beginning of the pre and regular seasons when all the guys are 100%.

You took the words right out of my mouth. We came out and played the best offensive game in week one when all the starters was 100 % healthy, so i really don't see why they need to play against the browns. Id love to see Dixon in action and hell... He can probably pick browns appart! :P

ejsteeler
12-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I just read that Tomlin is going to treat it like any other game and play the starters. I doubt they play all game though.:imho:

Iron City South
12-24-2008, 12:16 AM
No need to risk injury going into the tourneyment. Put Lefty in at QB, put Russell at RB, give Sweed some reps, Put "little evil" in and rest Polamalu, give Silverback and the majority of the defense the week off to rest.

We prove nothing by laying a beat-down on the stains. Let our starters rest, heal, and focus on our game plan in the tourneyment.

BlitzburghNation
12-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Disagree,,,,,,Think we need to play our starters for at least a half and get this win,so we can go to the play-offs feeling good about ourselves :popcorn:

Just wish we would've won that Nastyville game,,,,,,So this game would've meant something :cursin:

Well that's in the past now,,,,,,,,,time to go forward and make our run for our 6th title :crossfingers:

Iron City South
12-24-2008, 12:58 AM
and if a D-lineman for the Browns falls on Ben's legs and breaks his ankle .... how does that help us in the post-season?

BlitzburghNation
12-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Well,,,not saying that couldn't happen,but the way our offense is playing,wouldn't you agree they need the practice :thinking:

One thing about it,,,,,,it's not up to us and it sounds like Tomlin is going with his starters,at least for awhile:popcorn:

TampaSteelGirl
12-24-2008, 01:19 AM
I already posted this..

BlitzburghRockCity
12-24-2008, 01:19 AM
The Steelers will be without free safety Ryan Clark (shoulder) and left tackle Marvel Smith (back) because of injuries. Everyone else that is healthy will play in the 1 p.m. game, Tomlin said today at his weekly news conference.

Yup, Im glad to see him playing them atleast for alittle while.

snowman79
12-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah i agree think we need to at least start with them and then if we are winning easily begin to rest them. Tomlin is a coach and coaches want to win no matter what game it is.
Lets just hope they all stay healthy and we get another shot at those b*stard Titans we owe them big time.

Iron City South
12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Our starters don't need real game reps to automagically "get good" ..... Sorry, ain't gonna happen .... at this point of the season they are who they are. They need to get into their practice facility, lock the door, and work with each other and the coaching staff on playbook "EXECUTION".

Put the 2nd and 3rd team out in the cold this week and let the 1st team get their **** together in the practice facility.

Steelersfan
12-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Our starters don't need real game reps to automagically "get good" ..... Sorry, ain't gonna happen .... at this point of the season they are who they are. They need to get into their practice facility, lock the door, and work with each other and the coaching staff on playbook "EXECUTION".

Put the 2nd and 3rd team out in the cold this week and let the 1st team get their **** together in the practice facility.

I agree. At this point in the year in won't fix anything. Take the time to get them rested and healthy.

I would make the OL do nothing in practice but try and block our D!!! Over and over and over again for the next two weeks........lol
Then I would have Ben and the WR's do nothing but work on timing and get on the same page when plays break down. If this happens do this, if that happens do that, if none of that works Ben takes off running!