PDA

View Full Version : 11-4 is still better than we would have thought...

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 06:35 PM
... based on last years second half melt down, and the schedule that we were handed.
If we were going to lose, lets get it over with now. Now we can go back to our backs against the wall mentality. Every week I say " This will be the week that our offense gets rolling", and each week I am wrong. Maybe we just don`t have an offense? I do believe that our receivers are average at best. Yes Hines is a Warrior, and Heath is very under rated. But Holmes, Washington, and Sweed, are an average group. Yes they make some big catches now and then, but tey are proffesional, and are suppose to make those catches. But alot of Bens problems are that they arent open, and not open quick enough. Holmes is to small for a number one wr. He might be better as a slot. We don`t have a wideout with size, like TO, or CJ. No I don`t won`t those guys, but they have the size to get defender off them at the line of scrimmage, not get pushed around.

Anyway, we are ahead of where we thought we would and should be. Now it doesn`t feel like enough. Our defense needs more. They needed the offense to step up and win one for them instead of them winning each game. We were handed the ball in beautiful field position twice, our first two drives, and came up with nothing. Both times was because our defense forced a three and outs. Thats what should have set the tempo! NOT.

Can we win it all? I think so. This to me was our worst loss yet. We had chances to beat Philly, NYG, and Indy. And today if we don`t turn the ball over six times, maybe. We have the defense, and I think our offense can get just enough done. Problem is I think Ben is better than Odonnell, but yet we are going to ask him, just like we did ODonnell, to just don`t make mistakes. Don`t try and win it, just protect it. Ben has to be better than that.

AZ_Steeler
12-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I think these last three weeks has been an emotional drain on the Steelers team in general. It started off with a huge win in New England which is one of those games you know they really wanted to win, then they played the Cowboys at home which was draining and followed that one up with a draining and physical trip to Baltimore! I think they were spent and it really showed this game.

They will bounce back starting next week and finish 12-4 as they prepare for the playoffs!

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 06:43 PM
One thing to our advantage. there is no clear cut SuperBowl Contender. Nobody is playing superior right now.

jpele
12-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Whats going on here ? We're in the playoffs and a first round bye. we'll be rested and ready to go and everyone here acts like its all over. I'll agree that at the start of the season I had my doubts,but if anything the Steelers have shown the bend but don't break . Have some faith people.

This was one game to a very good team . Had we played Cleveland this week and the Titans next week,I'd be willing to bet the outcome would be different.

If you read my other posts you'll know that I'm in know way happy with out team but give them some credit for overcoming their shortcomings.

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Whats going on here ? We're in the playoffs and a first round bye. we'll be rested and ready to go and everyone here acts like its all over. I'll agree that at the start of the season I had my doubts,but if anything the Steelers have shown the bend but don't break . Have some faith people.

This was one game to a very good team . Had we played Cleveland this week and the Titans next week,I'd be willing to bet the outcome would be different.

If you read my other posts you'll know that I'm in know way happy with out team but give them some credit for overcoming their shortcomings.

I agree, We are still a team to be reckoned with. But Ben has to pick up some slack! NOW

yinzer
12-21-2008, 07:22 PM

yeah, this was ONE game against the titans WITHOUT their 2 best Defensive players. get a clue..... IF BRUCE ARIANS KEEPS DECIDING THE OFFENSIVE DRIVES, WE'RE DOOMED. sad but true.

SteelerNC
12-21-2008, 07:25 PM
We all would have signed up for the Steelers record being 12-4 at the beginning of the year. I was hoping to go 8-8 in August. We will be good in the playoffs and still might play afc championship at home. Go Steelers !!! :cope:

yinzer
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
We all would have signed up for the Steelers record being 12-4 at the beginning of the year. I was hoping to go 8-8 in August. We will be good in the playoffs and still might play afc championship at home. Go Steelers !!! :cope:

my oh my how our views have changed....

jpele
12-21-2008, 07:59 PM
get a clue.....

I have a clue, Its called Professional football and guess what, other than the 72 Dolphins teams lose games during the season. We happened to lose one today to a team that out played us and took advantage of out mistakes.

No one is disputing Arians sucks but we're 11-4 .

yinzer
12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a clue, Its called Professional football and guess what, other than the 72 Dolphins teams lose games during the season. We happened to lose one today to a team that out played us and took advantage of out mistakes.

No one is disputing Arians sucks but we're 11-4 .

i wish i had a "yawn" text right now. listen, we lost for one reason... because we LET the titans walk all over us. ok? got it? we didn't lose because we were the lower team. you can keep telling yourself that the titans were good if that makes you feel better. it's not the reality. sorry, charlie.

Moondog
12-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Pittsburgh got beat down today plain and simple. Today, the Titans were the better team. The Steeler O had their chances, the Steeler D had their chances, neither could cash in. The Titans capitalized on their opportunities and made the plays they needed to make. Overall though, I'm happy we are 11-4, the Steelers have exceeded my expectations and I'm willing to bet that if and when the Steelers face the Titans again, it will be a different ball game.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-21-2008, 08:40 PM
This summer i said we would go 12-4 if we stayed healthy an that's what we will be:tt02:i just hope Clark isn't out of the playoffs:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I take no moral victories in a loss but at the same time 11-4 is 11-4 after this brutal schedule. Several victories I think we won in spite of ourselves rather than because of ourselves. It's clear this offense is struggling and has been doing so since the beginning of October. it's not going to get better unless something drastically changes and as long as Arians runs the offense it's not going to. Everytime we find something that works he goes away from it and back to his patented bunch formation which is tries to run out of and never succeeds.

We haven't played to our strengths all year long on offense and that boys and girls is because of the play calling. We have an average best line so rather than try to consistently run formations and plays that spread teams out we'd rather bunch it up and beat our heads against the wall. He'll throw us a bone now and then and run the no huddle for one series and then stops it again. Arians is a pathetic excuse for an offensive coordinator and Tomlin has black n gold glasses on if he can't see that. At the end of the year regardless of the outcome the man has got to go or we are doomed to see more of the same for as long as he is on the sidelines. Fix the offensive and that will help, sure but it's not the whole answer.

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
I take no moral victories in a loss but at the same time 11-4 is 11-4 after this brutal schedule. Several victories I think we won in spite of ourselves rather than because of ourselves. It's clear this offense is struggling and has been doing so since the beginning of October. it's not going to get better unless something drastically changes and as long as Arians runs the offense it's not going to. Everytime we find something that works he goes away from it and back to his patented bunch formation which is tries to run out of and never succeeds.

We haven't played to our strengths all year long on offense and that boys and girls is because of the play calling. We have an average best line so rather than try to consistently run formations and plays that spread teams out we'd rather bunch it up and beat our heads against the wall. He'll throw us a bone now and then and run the no huddle for one series and then stops it again. Arians is a pathetic excuse for an offensive coordinator and Tomlin has black n gold glasses on if he can't see that. At the end of the year regardless of the outcome the man has got to go or we are doomed to see more of the same for as long as he is on the sidelines. Fix the offensive and that will help, sure but it's not the whole answer.

TG this is the most sensible statement yet!

Arians is calling plays that may work with the right pieces, he needs to look at OUR strengths and weakness, then make a playbook up!

TampaSteelGirl
12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
I do have to say that I"m impressed that we are 11-4 with the schedule we've had. That does say something about this Steeler team. :tt02:

Steel Trap86
12-21-2008, 10:08 PM
yeah, this was ONE game against the titans WITHOUT their 2 best Defensive players. get a clue..... IF BRUCE ARIANS KEEPS DECIDING THE OFFENSIVE DRIVES, WE'RE DOOMED. sad but true.

so...we lost a game, damn whatever should we do. they can have the #1 seed, the steelers dont need it..and once the playoffs start it doesnt matter about prior losses you've had in the regular season. we gave that game away on turnovers and lack of offensive production, i have a feeling thats not how it will be in the playoffs.

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 11:41 PM
so...we lost a game, damn whatever should we do. they can have the #1 seed, the steelers dont need it..and once the playoffs start it doesnt matter about prior losses you've had in the regular season. we gave that game away on turnovers and lack of offensive production, i have a feeling thats not how it will be in the playoffs.

I agree, Ben is a playoff vet, hopefully the cream always rises to the top!

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Pittsburgh got beat down today plain and simple. Today, the Titans were the better team. The Steeler O had their chances, the Steeler D had their chances, neither could cash in. The Titans capitalized on their opportunities and made the plays they needed to make. Overall though, I'm happy we are 11-4, the Steelers have exceeded my expectations and I'm willing to bet that if and when the Steelers face the Titans again, it will be a different ball game.

I agree this game is done and over with now let's forget about it and hope that the Steelers get some confidence going into the playoffs next week by beating down the Browns and go from there. The Titans had their day today with the Steelers and got the better of them. The Steelers will be fine and I still expect them to win their first playoff game here, and who knows maybe we will be making another trip down to Tennessee on January 18th for the championship game and there will be a different story written the next time we play the Titans

steelerschick1220
12-22-2008, 12:55 AM
It was a loss. It just wasn't our day. This team just played 5 very physically and emotionally draining games. They were due to crap the bed. Ben made some mistakes, but our supposed number one D wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire. They seemed in a funk today as well. Anyway, I am looking forward to giving the Browns their annual arse whipping next week and the playoffs. Still have faith that they can go all the way. Would you rather beat the Titans now or on January 18th?