PDA

View Full Version : Steeler defense unable to overcome their own inept offense

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Week after week, big game after big game, last second wins consistently thanks to the defense either winning it or setting up the offense in the red zone to get points. I have faith in those guys out there to make the play at any given time and we wouldn’t be where we are without them but damnit I just don’t know how much longer than can go without any help from the offense.

To this point they offense did their best to atleast not give up the turnovers and atleast manage the game just enough but then today Ben has 3 fumbles and an INT, how much can you expect the defense to consistently be put in bad situations in crunch time and finally not break. We’re coming into the final week of the season next Sunday and yeah we have the 2nd seed sewn up but right now I have absolutely zero faith in this offense to be anything beyond mediocre. If and I say if this team expects to do anything in the post season the defense is going to have to carry them like they have all year long. The defense has stuck together and we have to believe in them that they can get the job done but after this performance today by the offense who can blame them for not being able to come through?

Steelerlyn
12-21-2008, 04:07 PM
This is without question the best o-line we've faced this year. The Titans are for real.

Captcoolhand
12-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Until you get rid of Adrians, you can't convince me of anyone being at fault.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 04:12 PM
The point is, is that we've faced quality opponents all year. Many have had good lines, good WR's, good QB's, whatever but the fact is that the defense was put in bad situations all day long and they could not overcome everything this time. Are they mentally worn out? We don't know right now but one thing is for sure they have been rock solid all year long and this is the first time they really just were unable to come through.

Captcoolhand
12-21-2008, 04:19 PM
The point is, is that we've faced quality opponents all year. Many have had good lines, good WR's, good QB's, whatever but the fact is that the defense was put in bad situations all day long and they could not overcome everything this time. Are they mentally worn out? We don't know right now but one thing is for sure they have been rock solid all year long and this is the first time they really just were unable to come through.
Does ANY game that Arians was with the Browns come to your mind?

Bombhunter
12-21-2008, 04:22 PM
16 weeks is a LONG time to carry an entire team on your back. I have a bad feeling this is just the tip of a very bad iceberg....

Steelerlyn
12-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I remember the first Steeler game I ever went to years ago. There was a season ticket holder on my left. I did not know him at all but I listened to what he was telling the person next to him, "Good God, the defense can't do everything!~"

That was MANY years ago and the defense is still doing everything with a little help from the offense. Are they tired? I doubt it. Defense is the Steelers. Did they walk into an issue today that they felt was "unimportant" who knows? I would NEVER question our D because our D will normally come through, in the end.

Never count us out

Moondog
12-21-2008, 04:27 PM
This is without question the best o-line we've faced this year. The Titans are for real.

I think so too, the Titans were just the better team today, but I stress today, we'll see what happens if they meet again.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Trust me I have faith in this defense to come through and make plays; they've done it all year but this year they just ran into a bad situation today and the lack offense combined with the turnovers is enough to do any team in. If Ben doesn't turn the ball over do they make a big play and help us win? There's a good chance that would have been the case but overcoming 6 turnovers in 1 game is too much to ask of any unit no matter how good they are.

They are still a unit that can get it done and one can only conclude that they will be out for blood next week to avenge this loss and head into the playoffs on a high note again.

Wolf asked Chris Hoke if he felt the defense was just worn out and he said "no", and said that basically he felt they just weren't able to come up with the plays today that they normally do and that he feels they'll get back to business next week, stick together, and find that resolve again to do what they know they can do.

AZ_Steeler
12-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think the D is getting run down. They have been playing great all year and you had a feeling they were bound to have a bad game at some point. Thankfully it was now rather than in the palyoffs because we all know this Steelers team is only going to go as far as the defense can take them and they will need to be hitting on all cylinders in the playoffs.

jpele
12-21-2008, 05:01 PM
I've been worried about our defense the past two weeks. Our run D seemed liked it softened against the Cowboys and got worse against the Ravens. I really thought it would bounce back today with the return of Keisel.

The best thing that could happen for us would be for Tomlin to rest the starters against Cleveland,then we get the bye and should be well rested for the playoffs.

LatrobePA
12-21-2008, 05:03 PM
The D is for sure wearing down. Ben and the entire ****** offense has used and abused our D too much! But consider this a kick in the pants, we'll rebound in time for the PO's!!

I wish the worse for the POS Titan players, they have no class!

Clevelandsux
12-21-2008, 05:03 PM
We are a one dimensional team. Anyone that cannot see this is blind. You have to score points to win ball games. I love the Steelers more than anyone, but this team ain't goin' nowhere with this offense.

Troyisabeast_43
12-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Week after week, big game after big game, last second wins consistently thanks to the defense either winning it or setting up the offense in the red zone to get points. I have faith in those guys out there to make the play at any given time and we wouldn’t be where we are without them but damnit I just don’t know how much longer than can go without any help from the offense.

To this point they offense did their best to atleast not give up the turnovers and atleast manage the game just enough but then today Ben has 3 fumbles and an INT, how much can you expect the defense to consistently be put in bad situations in crunch time and finally not break. We’re coming into the final week of the season next Sunday and yeah we have the 2nd seed sewn up but right now I have absolutely zero faith in this offense to be anything beyond mediocre. If and I say if this team expects to do anything in the post season the defense is going to have to carry them like they have all year long. The defense has stuck together and we have to believe in them that they can get the job done but after this performance today by the offense who can blame them for not being able to come through?

The big play in this game was the 3rd and 20 conversion to McCareins when the Steelers were up 14-10 late in the 3rd. Had they got a stop there maybe this game turns out differently. That play right there was the turning point and key play of the game period...The offense was starting to play very well up until that point. It got the defense the lead and the defense for the first time in awhile had a letdown and didnt play very well. Better this happen now then in the playoffs. I dont think the Titans will have this kind of day against the Steelers D should we see them again next month...

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 05:10 PM

True! And Amen!

Our playing calling is horrific. With our offensive line, our plays suck. Maybe with a great Oline they would work. But Arians knows as well as we do, that we have limitations on offense.
1.) How come Ben drops and nobody is open? Because Arians has them running to deep of routes for the time that Ben gets. And we have small receivers that can be bumped coming off the line.

TampaSteelGirl
12-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm sure they are sick of not getting any rest and watching them mess up what they've worked so hard to accomplish! We have so much awesome talent on our offense, we should be asgood as our defense!!

--- Added 12/21/2008 at 04:20 PM ---

I meant to say I wonder what our defense thinks about our offense. I got it backwards!

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I would rather know what our defense thinks of our lack of offense

yinzer
12-21-2008, 05:28 PM

TG, why in the world do you keep making up NONSENSE for this team??? the O.C. sucks really really horribly! it's as simple as that. we should have been ahead by 2 T.D's but since our O.C. doesn't know his *** from his elbow, we lost. THAT'S THE JIST OF THE GAME. WE LOST... NOT BECAUSE OF BEN OR THE OFFENSE BUT BECAUSE OF ARIANS!!!! you're allowed to talk smack on him, you know.

Moondog
12-21-2008, 05:30 PM
The big play in this game was the 3rd and 20 conversion to McCareins when the Steelers were up 14-10 late in the 3rd. Had they got a stop there maybe this game turns out differently. That play right there was the turning point and key play of the game period...The offense was starting to play very well up until that point. It got the defense the lead and the defense for the first time in awhile had a letdown and didnt play very well. Better this happen now then in the playoffs. I dont think the Titans will have this kind of day against the Steelers D should we see them again next month...

That's exactly what I thought and you're right, its better to get this all out now rather than choke in the playoffs.

yinzer
12-21-2008, 05:31 PM
That's exactly what I thought and you're right, its better to get this all out now rather than choke in the playoffs.

LOL!!! we're gonna choke in the playoffs!!!!!!! thought you knew!!!!!!!!!!!! with B.A. at the healm, we're doomed.... not pessimism, just reality.

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
LOL!!! we're gonna choke in the playoffs!!!!!!! thought you knew!!!!!!!!!!!! with B.A. at the healm, we're doomed.... not pessimism, just reality.

Thats why Tomlin has to wake up tomorrow, and say Bruce, Ben and I are calling the plays from here on out!

Stlrs4Life
12-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Sooner or later we all knew it would catch up with us, and it did. I knew we los this game after the first 2 posessions of the game, 1st, punt, then fumbled. Game over.

Stairwayto7
12-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Sooner or later we all knew it would catch up with us, and it did. I knew we los this game after the first 2 posessions of the game, 1st, punt, then fumbled. Game over.

Didn`t know it was over! LOL. But it didnt look good coming away with ZERO points, thet field position doesnt come around often!

yinzer
12-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Thats why Tomlin has to wake up tomorrow, and say Bruce, Ben and I are calling the plays from here on out!

that's what's separates the championship coaches from the 2nd year "almost gonna win" coaches. tomlin doesn't have the BALLS to fire arians even though he's single-handedly turning over the season for us.

Prosdo
12-21-2008, 11:37 PM

He definitely is a HUGE problem. The play calling is so predictable and unimaginative. It's infuriating watching them continue to run Willie up the middle on 1st and 2nd down.

DIESELMAN
12-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Fumbling 4 times and throwing 2 INT's does not give your team a very good chance to win. Not putting all this on Ben but he did say he would come out and play more loose now that the Steelers had wrapped up the AFC North and a first-round bye in the playoffs. He was real "loose" Sunday :greengrin:
BA does need to go...when the Titans D caught on to our short passes that had been successful the past few games, what adjustments did BA make on that? NONE!!!