PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben doesn't appear to have serious injury. **Update 10/24 listed as questionable

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06297/732434-66.stm

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ATLANTA -- Big Ben may be Lucky Ben again after it appears he came through another head injury with only mild distress and could play Sunday for the Steelers in Oakland.

Ben Roethlisberger was to visit a neurosurgeon yesterday afternoon to follow up on tests that were conducted Sunday in Atlanta after he left the game in the third quarter after a blow to his head that left him with a concussion.

Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger's agent, spoke to his client twice Sunday night -- once after the game, before the quarterback joined his teammates for the flight home, and again after he arrived home in Pittsburgh. Tollner said while he did not know the extent of the injury, he heard nothing to lead him to believe that Roethlisberger had a severe concussion.

"He was very coherent and had no ill effects in his thinking," Tollner said. "He was aware of everything that occurred."

The Steelers would have kept Roethlisberger in Atlanta for observation had it been a severe concussion.

The team, through a spokesman, said it would have no information on Roethlisberger's condition yesterday. Coach Bill Cowher usually updates injuries to his players at his weekly news conference, scheduled for noon today. Cowher did not call the injury a concussion when he spoke to the meida after the game but did say, "Ben is sore."

Tollner would not speculate on whether Roethlisberger will play Sunday.

Roethlisberger had an appointment yesterday afternoon with Joseph Maroon, the Steelers' UPMC neurosurgeon who is vice chairman of the department of neurological surgery at Pitt's School of Medicine.

The fact the team waited nearly 24 hours before scheduling Roethlisberger to visit Maroon also was an indication the injury was not severe.

"My feeling was I was happy just to see Ben get up," Tollner said. "When he was laying motionless, it was a frightening sight. It was good to see him get up, walk off the field and return to the sideline."

Tollner also was happy to see Roethlisberger get on the charter flight back to Pittsburgh Sunday night.

"We've had other cases with clients where that individual stays in a hospital in that city overnight," Tollner said.

Roethlisberger's agent said that while he believes the quarterback will be OK, he welcomed the precautionary stance the Steelers took with him after the blow on Sunday.

This is great news indeed that it doesn't appear to be serious. Ben is as tough as they come and hopefully he'll make a good full recovery.

Koopa
10-24-2006, 12:13 AM
hopefully he plays, he needs to pad them touchdowns so he can get it over his ints lol

Steelersfan
10-24-2006, 12:22 AM
I'd just as soon see him sit and get an extra week to heal since we are playing the Raiders this week. If we can't beat them with Batch we don't deserve to win.....lol

Koopa
10-24-2006, 12:24 AM
NO!!! pad his stats lol

BengalBrian
10-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Good for ben.. I was kinda concerned with another major concussion just a few months ago.. Multiple concussions in a short amount of time like that can sometimes be more serious...

Glad to hear he sounds ok

SteelerFan87
10-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Is it just me, or did anybody else get a wierd feeling reading that? Especially the part that said, "Big Ben may be Lucky Ben again after it appears he came through another head injury with only mild distress and could play Sunday for the Steelers in Oakland"? Somehow I just got a funny feeling that things have come full circle, from the high of the Super Bowl followed by the injury to Ben, to now the low of falling to 2-4, and another Ben head injury. Hopefully this means the football gods have said "Hey, don't get too full of yourselves. See how bad you can be if we go against you?", and now that they've taught us that lesson, maybe all the crap that's gone agaisnt us will stop. Probably wishful thinking, but we'll see.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
If that's what it takes, the football god's smiling on us, for us to pull it together and turn this season around then Im all for it. At this point Im willing to believe in just about anything to get us back in the playoff chase.

Koopa
10-24-2006, 12:49 AM
i've been wanting to say this, and since this is a thread on ben.......we can no longer talk **** about teams having a china doll qb like the ravens....cause ours breaks all the time lol

Prosdo
10-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Ben has bad luck with these injuries but he is one tough SOB. Anyone would have been knocked out with that hit.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 12:56 AM
i've been wanting to say this, and since this is a thread on ben.......we can no longer talk **** about teams having a china doll qb like the ravens....cause ours breaks all the time lol

Yeah but atleast with our QB we score points and actually have some type of an offense :greengrin:

augustashark
10-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I remember the toughest QB I've ever watched, no not Terry (though he is a close 2nd) Jim Kelly. That guy was banged up all the time, but time after time he would get up get healthy and play his *** off. I hope Ben can follow his lead. Not a bad person to imulate.

SteelerFan87
10-24-2006, 01:03 AM
How about Byron Leftwich with some of the hits he takes and keeps playing? Or Peyton Manning this week, when he got bent the wrong way, his helmet came off, and he stayed in the game and won it.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 01:05 AM
That hit on Manning was just wicked ! He got bent over backwards and twisted up like crazy :eek:

Those are all tough as nails QB's you guys mentioned. Ben is in good company !

Koopa
10-24-2006, 01:06 AM
I remember the toughest QB I've ever watched, no not Terry (though he is a close 2nd) Jim Kelly. That guy was banged up all the time, but time after time he would get up get healthy and play his *** off. I hope Ben can follow his lead. Not a bad person to imulate.

i hope that's all you want him to be like....cause if he's anymore like him, we'll lose 4 straight superbowls lol

augustashark
10-24-2006, 01:07 AM
How about Byron Leftwich with some of the hits he takes and keeps playing? Or Peyton Manning this week, when he got bent the wrong way, his helmet came off, and he stayed in the game and won it.

I agree with Leftwich, good call. Manning on the other hand suprised me when he came back in, I think he is a great QB, but that showed me something about him that I thougt he lacked.

augustashark
10-24-2006, 01:08 AM
i hope that's all you want him to be like....cause if he's anymore like him, we'll lose 4 straight superbowls lol

Naw, our other players wont let that happen. I hope :crossfingers:

AZ_Steeler
10-24-2006, 01:57 AM
This is good news! Ben is being watched over by someone because the dude shouldn't even be playing football, let alone still living! He's got an uncanny ability to get hurt and be right back out there like nothing ever happened.

I'm all for him playing this weekend because a week off means he'll have some rust for the Bronco game!

House of Steel
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
I will never forget the Marshall Game where Leftwich was badly limping on his right ankle and the offensive lineman kept carrying him down the field for him to finish the game, he was on fire, but could barely take the pain of a severly sprained ankle. I was very impressed with his attitude of finishing the game in excurating pain.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Update on Ben, listed as questionable for this sunday's game. MRI's on his head and neck came back normal.

BBG7
10-24-2006, 02:26 PM
That's good...I think he will probably play with what everything I have been hearing. It all sounds like good news and I am happy about that!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 02:50 PM
If Ben has anything to say about I would think he'll play too.

Blitzburgh55
10-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Ben will most likey play but if he should i do not know

BBG7
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
If Ben has anything to say about I would think he'll play too.

I agree...he won't choose to sit out for anything!!!

BengalBrian
10-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Playing Ben now could jeopardize the future.. Batch has been doing well.. I say sit Ben and let him recover.. He was rushed in this season and shouldnt have been.. Be happy he isnt IR bound and learn your lesson and rest him..

Just my 2 cents

Captcoolhand
10-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Playing Ben now could jeopardize the future.. Batch has been doing well.. I say sit Ben and let him recover.. He was rushed in this season and shouldnt have been.. Be happy he isnt IR bound and learn your lesson and rest him..

Just my 2 cents
:clap: Couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!!!
Not that I would want that But, I wouldn't care if Ben sat out the rest of the season,Got his halth back and we start anew next year. Hey who knows, We might get a good draft pick:yesnod: :lol:

House of Steel
10-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Now, Capt, what the hell? I say Ben plays in Oakland and if he struggles put in Batch. Ben will be fine and we will start rolling in the wins and get back into the thick of things. We are only two games out of the lead in the AFC North, you know we got one with the Bengals, Two with the Ravens, and both games against the Browns. You know darn well, we are still in this thing believe it or not. I am confident and not even close to throwing in the towel. WE ARE IN THIS RACE AND WE WILL RALLY WINS OFF. WE WILL PUT THE BENGALS BACK WHERE THEY BELONG. You watch and learn.

Captcoolhand
10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I knew you would be the first to come screaming But i still feel that Ben was rushed back too soon