PDA

View Full Version : Have the Steelers of the 70's returned?

steelers4life66
12-21-2008, 02:39 AM
I loved this statement and had to post it. I'm 42 and watched the Steelers of the 70's growing up so I can relate to it.
Question: A suffocating Defense, an Offense that sputters for three quarters, then dominates the fourth quarter for the winning drive...didn't the Super Steelers of the 70's have seasons like this? Hopefully this season will end like four of those did.
Jeff Whalen, Castle Shannon, Pa.
BOUCHETTE: Whether you witnessed it, as I did, or did not, many like to think the Steelers of the 1970s were invincible and won their games with little difficulty. Of course, that was not true and no one knew they would be Super Bowl champs until they actually won those games. It's the same now; this team may very well go on to win the Super Bowl and we'll look back on it as one of their great teams. Fans, and writers, would nit-pick those teams from the 1970s as the seasons progressed, just as we do now.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08356/936627-367.stm

K Train
12-21-2008, 02:50 AM
no, those guys are old

steelers4life66
12-21-2008, 02:53 AM
no, those guys are old:haha:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Everybody always wants to compare the current Steeler teams to the dynasty teams and it's just not a fair comparison. The game was played different then, rules were different, offensive philosphy was different, fields were different, etc.

The dynasty 70's defense was the best ever IMO, they absolutely ruled the 70's whether they were in a super bowl at any given year or not. This years defense is without question IMO the best defense the Steelers have seen since then; now what they do from here on out through the rest of the year can influence that line of thinking but the fact is they are awesome and just flat out know how to make plays and shut down any offense at any given time.

steelers4life66
12-21-2008, 03:01 AM
Everybody always wants to compare the current Steeler teams to the dynasty teams and it's just not a fair comparison. The game was played different then, rules were different, offensive philosphy was different, fields were different, etc.

The dynasty 70's defense was the best ever IMO, they absolutely ruled the 70's whether they were in a super bowl at any given year or not. This years defense is without question IMO the best defense the Steelers have seen since then; now what they do from here on out through the rest of the year can influence that line of thinking but the fact is they are awesome and just flat out know how to make plays and shut down any offense at any given time.
I think the point is more that the 70 Steelers had bad days and seasons. They just didn't totality destroy very team they played. Not so much comparing them to the 70 Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 03:13 AM
I wasn't referring to you specifically, just pointing out that fans and the media will always make this comparison because the expectations are so high due to the history of the franchise.

steelers4life66
12-21-2008, 03:18 AM
I wasn't referring to you specifically, just pointing out that fans and the media will always make this comparison because the expectations are so high due to the history of the franchise.
Ya I know you weren't. I was just expressing what I got from the article. It's all good.:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-21-2008, 03:25 AM
I guess it's just what we do as Steeler fans and of course what the media is going to do year in and year out. Pittsburgh is so entrenched in it's history that no matter where you go you can see an old Lambert or Ham jersey hanging on the wall. The fans that have gone to all the games and/or can remember the dynasty years will always have something to compare the current team too and as their kids grow up and their kids have kids the history and legendary stories get handed down from generation to generation...any Steeler team from now till kingdom come will be living in the shadow of the 70's team. Hell I'd even say that if a future Steeler team goes on to win 3 or 4 superbowls in a 10 year timespan that even then they'll still be compared to the 70's guys..LOL

steelers4life66
12-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Ya thats probably true. It was one hell of a decade. Football started out in mid western P.A so their is a very rich football history there. I thank god I'm part of it in some small way by being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I remember those ten years as a young boy and before I'm dead and gone I would love to relive those times again through the Steelers of today. Hopefully it starts this year....:gs:

LarryNJ
12-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm not so sure I agree with Bouchette. It is true that fans and writers nit picked every thing but I vividly remembered in the playoffs I always knew that they would win. Although I was a young drunk teenager! :)

1978 Playoff game in 3 Rivers against the Broncos, they are introducing the Steelers D, Number 78 Dwight White comes running out with an orange in his hand, he crushes it up against the wall. The entire stadium went crazy, you knew right than and there that the Steelers were going to win the game it was simply a matter of by how many points. Stallworth, Harris, and Bradshaw all had big days as did the D.

The next week AFC Championship game against the Oilers, I believe this is when Bum Philips said "We're going to kick the door down" It was 30 degrees and raining, on the first offensive play Jack Ham tackled Earl Campbell for a 2 yard lose and we knew the game was over. The Steelers crushed them I think they had 8 or 9 turnovers. The D got a TO on something like 5 out of 7 second half possesions.

I'm no where near as confident that this years team will win.

A little FYI: In order for me to get those playoff tickets on Christmas night at about 6:00 PM my buddy and I loaded up the back of my Ford Pinto with wood, we stopped by a gas station and picked up a steel garbage can and drove to the Stadium. Since this was a last minute decision and it was Xmas day we had no booze, but penty of wood for a fire, anyone who wanted to hang around our fire had to have something to drink. We drank shots of so many different types of liqour all night long. It was totally crazy. There were thousands there all night waiting for tickets. Around 6:00 am it really got nuts everyone was tired and drunk. The line was no longer a line as everyone piled towards the ticket counters like a herd of cattle. For the next 4 hours you couldn't move because you were literally jammed together. People who tried to cut the linb simply got the **** beat out of them. About 8:00 up on the ramps Lynn Swann looked out over the crowd. He smiled and than started pumping his fist, we all went nuts and he gave us the energy we needed to make the last 2 hours. That 3 week span was one of the best times of my life. It's one the the few things I remember like it was yesterday.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I loved this statement and had to post it. I'm 42 and watched the Steelers of the 70's growing up so I can relate to it. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08356/936627-367.stm Hey i'm 42 also an i remember the Classic games the Steelers played back in those days.:yellowthumb:It's an blessing to see the teams of the 70's an the teams of 90's an the current team:clap::clap: