PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Timmons

steelers4life66
12-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Is it just me or is Lawrence Timmons Showing some potential. His college stats are pretty good.( link below if you want to see them) It's only his second year so he's still somewhat a rookie. 45 tackles 14 assists 5 sacks 1 int and 1 fumble recovery. He's second string so I don't know how much play time he really gets. I've seen him lay some good hits on players this year. Most recently Mason Derrick In the Baltimore game. Maybe he just stands out to me because he's ruffly the same build as James Harrison. One inch difference in hight and six pounds difference in weight. Anyone got a thought on this subject. http://news.steelers.com/team/player/76324/

Mike Tomlin
12-18-2008, 01:44 AM
I think he'll be great , I mean he added more weight to his frame this year and it didn't slow him down at all. He was a really good tight end in highschool thats why he's so comfortable when the ball is in the air. I had been sayin all year this kid will single handedly stop screens and quick throws before his career is over.Think about it everyone knew that quick passes and screens was the way to beat our D, but not with a guy with his speed and ball skills roaming the middle of the field.When ever the light pops on and he's playing more with instincts instead of thinking (it's slowly happening now) he'll be a beast. Another thing does anyone notice how long this cats arms are, that's got to be a plus when your trying to shed blocks or bat down balls in coverage. With a wing span like that and the added weight and strength, he can keep blockers away from his body.

steelers4life66
12-18-2008, 01:50 AM
I think he'll be great , I mean he added more weight to his frame this year and it didn't slow him down at all. He was a really good tight end in highschool thats why he's so comfortable when the ball is in the air. I had been sayin all year this kid will single handly stop screens and quick throws before his career is over.When ever the light pops on and he's playing more with instincts instead of thinking (it's slowly happening now) he'll be a beast. Another thing does anyone notice how long this cats arms are, that's got to be a plus when your trying to shed blocks or bat down balls in coverage. With a wing span like that and the added weight and strength, he can keep blockers away from his body.
I just wonder how long his contract is? Hopefully they'll resign him.

Mike Tomlin
12-18-2008, 02:19 AM
This is what I mean about those quick passes, on top of that it was one of the patriots money plays.
He's going to start making plays like that on instinct , he didn't think he just went with it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ced112

Dee Mca
12-18-2008, 02:22 AM
I do believe he's in his 2nd year of a 5 year deal.

steelers4life66
12-18-2008, 02:26 AM
I do believe he's in his 2nd year of a 5 year deal.
Man I hope we got him for three more years. I like this guy a lot.:yesnod:

JensK
12-18-2008, 06:11 AM
We probably will resign him. Foote isnt getting any younger. Timmons is probably going to start next year instead of him, and then they might aswell sign him on a long tirm perspective.. We need to have at least one unit who are somewhat young :P

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Timmons isn't going anywhere; Foote's deal is up after this season is over so Timmons will take over opposite Farrior which means our valued depth at ILB will be gone again so Tomlin will have have to address that at some point in the offseason again.

Timmons is really in his first year since he was hurt almost all of last year and even when he did get on the field towards the end of the season he didn't have the luxury of daily practices with the team that Woodley did. He's really coming along and his potential is through the roof, he'll be a good one for a long time with the Steelers.

JensK
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I think Foote will resign with the steelers, so he can end hes carrier with us. He is a pretty damn good back-up untill we can pick one up in the next draft maybe as a back-up? I really don't see Tomlin addressing it this off-season.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Man Timmons is an Beast:tt02:, an he's only going to get better as time goes on:yellowthumb:, what an great pick him an Woodley turn out to be,And don't worry he an Woodley are not going anywhere no time soon:yellowthumb:

Zachintosh66
12-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Seems to me by watching the games I'd say Timmons is getting more plays than Foote now... Timmons is SOOO quick (except for the end of the INT) :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-18-2008, 05:06 PM
There was an article about Foote in a recent Steelers digest talking about his battle with Timmons in camp and playing time this year. Foote is the ultimate professional and realizes others gave way to him when he gained the starting job and now he knows that Timmons is the future and that he may very well not be back next year. He's a fighter and scrapper though like we've seen this year and in years past.

Timmons is the future though and he'll be the starter next year, he's come a long way and he plays without of power. He's just beginning to tap his potential as one of the next great Steeler linebackers. Both he and Wood will be staples on this defense for a long time to come.

K Train
12-19-2008, 03:49 PM
most of you were screaming bust a year ago...dont deny it

Mike Tomlin
12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
most of you were screaming bust a year ago...dont deny it
Like I said earlier Flip Flop

NCSteeler
12-19-2008, 08:59 PM
As far as the flip flopping goes, many were screaming about our draft and UDFA picks last season. It would now seem that the 2007 rookie class could be th ebest we haev had in a long time.

Woodley, Timmons, Gay, Russell, Stapleton, Spaeth all contributing in a major way this year. No doubt that Sepulveda is a worthy pick now that we have seen the opposite end of the spectrum. And it even looks like Baker will be a contributer inyears to come(probably replace washington next season)

Timmons is definetly turnign the corner, he still is not as good as foote on running downs, but he is getting better. On passing downs he outplays foote by a long margin.

K Train
12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
im just saying everyone was to quick to judge his talent....same thing happened with mendenhall this year

steelcityrockers
12-19-2008, 11:28 PM
People simply have no patience. They look at Patrick Willis or Adrian Peterson and think "WHY DON'T WE HAVE THIS!?!?!? THIS GUY IS A BUST!!!" and then proceed to make a thread with a similar title on a message board similar to this one.

You savior Terry Bradshaw didn't even have a mediocre year until his, what, 5th season or so?

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-19-2008, 11:40 PM
im just saying everyone was to quick to judge his talent....same thing happened with mendenhall this year

That ain't fair dude, Rush hard got hurt!

K Train
12-19-2008, 11:50 PM
That ain't fair dude, Rush hard got hurt!

i know, but ive seen several times people claiming bust on him which is bullshit...so what he didnt get rushed into the lineup, then he got hurt. we had enough talent to allow us to be patient with him. hes gonna be really good in a year or 2...but what do i know i only said the same exact thing with timmons last year

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
i know, but ive seen several times people claiming bust on him which is bullshit...so what he didnt get rushed into the lineup, then he got hurt. we had enough talent to allow us to be patient with him. hes gonna be really good in a year or 2...but what do i know i only said the same exact thing with timmons last year

I was not a member of this site last year , but if you said that , i could never disagree. Timmons was busted up last year too. He never got the chance to show why Tomlinator made him his first round pick. We may be beginning to see why now.

Mike Tomlin
12-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Just because some teams get lucky and a few players are stars their first year , they forget that players are drafted because of their POTENTIAL. In most cases if a rookie can even contribute his first year it's a bonus. Some guys fit just like a block in the pyramid , some guys you have the (knock off the rough edges) to make 'em fit.

BR7
12-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Timmons isn't going anywhere; Foote's deal is up after this season is over so Timmons will take over opposite Farrior which means our valued depth at ILB will be gone again so Tomlin will have have to address that at some point in the offseason again.

Patrick Bailey!

steelcityrockers
12-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Bailey's main contributions for his career will likely come on Special Teams. Think of him as Clint Kreiwaldt II.

DIESELMAN
12-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Bailey's main contributions for his career will likely come on Special Teams. Think of him as Clint Kreiwaldt II.

Hey, you never know where the next talented LB will come from. Some of the great ones we have had in the past started on ST's.

steelcityrockers
12-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Very true. However, he isn't as gifted athletically as those guys though.

DIESELMAN
12-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Very true. However, he isn't as gifted athletically as those guys though.
True, but I'm sure you have seen heart and determination win out over talent sometimes. I like rooting for an underdog.....:yellowthumb:

NCSteeler
12-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Our Lbers always start on STs because Dick's Defense is so hard for a LBer to learn. Also alot of teams fit thier rookies right into the line up because they have too. We have been very good at keeping the roster stocked with talented players. Makes it very hard for a rookie to come in be great without getting the snaps. Beside we rarely draft high enough to get the best rookies, which makes me even more impressed with our team.