PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Titans injury updates

JensK
12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
NOTES -- Defensive end Brett Keisel "hopefully" will play Sunday, Tomlin said, after missing three games with a sprained knee, while Marvel Smith's situation is "status quo," which means he likely will miss a 10th consecutive game with back problems. Tomlin said "we came out of the game pretty healthy" and "this is as encouraging an injury situation as we've had in a while coming out of a football game." He did not mention anything about safety Ryan Clark, who was spotted at the South Side facility on crutches yesterday.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08352/935609-66.stm

Clark on crutches? What the hell? :thinking: I would really really really hate to miss him, but if he is hurt, i really do not hope they'll play him against Titans and Browns. We'll need him big time in the play-offs.

as for Titans:

Bad news for the Titans: Albert Haynesworth has been ruled out of at least the last two games of the regular season, and possibly eliminated from the playoffs due to a knee injury he sustained in the waning minutes of the Titans-Texans game Sunday.

To add insult to injury, Kyle Vanden Bosch has also been ruled out of next Sunday's match-up against the red-hot, gritty, looking-for-the-No. 1-seed-in-the-AFC Steelers.

Could it get any worse? Sure could: with weather the way it has been recently in Nashville, it just might snow during next week's game at LP Field, and with the legions of Steelers fans that reside in the Titan's hometown this could turn out to resemble a home game on the road for the Steelers.

Make no mistake: the Titans still own the NFL's best record, and they didn't get there by playing college teams. They got there through the outstanding play of their LARGE defensive line, the great backside support of their defensive backfield, and the solid, workmanlike effort of the offense under the veteran leadership of Kerry Collins.

And they have stayed relatively healthy for the first 14 games of the season.

But now they have issues: SERIOUS issues.

Haynesworth is a beast; how many 6'6", 320 men do you know who can move like he does? He is an absolute force field on the defensive line; it's almost as if runners get close to him and bounce backwards.

Vanden Bosch is another monster. 6'4" and 245, he is a defensive end you cannot ignore. His quickness almost requires that you commit two people to block him at all times, or your quarterback will get to know him entirely too well. Just his presence causes running backs to add an extra 5-10 yards onto runs around his side of the line, if only so they don't get close enough for him to maul them.

With these two power players out of the lineup, the Titans have almost no one to turn to. Dave Ball can move inside, but he does not have the ability or reputation to occupy two offensive linemen the way Haynesworth can.

Jason Jones is a rookie DE; he'll be preoccupied trying to figure out how to get to the quarterback, and by the time he figures it out, the play will be over.

Kevin Vickerson? Out due to violations of the league's substance abuse policy.

William Hayes? Listed as inactive for the Steelers game.

Jacob Ford? He'll be pulling double duty relieving Kearse and Ball, so no way he can go inside.

With Willie Parker getting healthier every week, Mewelde Moore averaging four yards per carry, and Gary Russell ready to come in for either in relief, Pittsburgh is primed to have one of it's best rushing games of the season.

Historically, the Steelers are almost unbeatable if they have a 100-yard rusher and Roethlisberger throws for 200 or more yards. Big Ben's average yards per game during their current win streak? 236 yards, with only one game under 200.

With a 320-pound hole in their defense, this could spell D-O-O-M for the Titans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/93402-titans-vanden-bosch-down-haynesworth-out-spells-r-u-n-for-the-steelers

Nothing new here really.

Stairwayto7
12-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Clark! Crutches?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Getting Keisel back is going to be huge for the DL like we've been saying not only from a pass rush standpoint but also run stopping. We'll need all hands on deck to make this stretch run and head into the postseason.

I haven't heard anything about Clark or read anything about him being injured so it might just be precautionary.

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Saw that in the article as well but have not been able to find anything out.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm sure Clark is fine but he might not play in the final two regular season games....Players have stepped in all year in place of injured starters on defense and the defense has kept rolling.....I think we will win out with or without Ryan Clark....But it would be sweet to have in him in there since he is an important and really under-rated part of this defense......But I rather him rest up for the play-offs....

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm sure Clark is fine but he might not play in the final two regular season games....Players have stepped in all year in place of injured starters on defense and the defense has kept rolling.....I think we will win out with or without Ryan Clark....But it would be sweet to have in him in there since he is an important and really under-rated part of this defense......But I rather him rest up for the play-offs....

Agreed. Anybody who needs it should be resting at this point. The #1 seed is not worth not making it to and winning the SB.

JensK
12-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Agreed. Anybody who needs it should be resting at this point. The #1 seed is not worth not making it to and winning the SB.

Agreed. Is it only me who think Clark have been looking a little banged up against Dallas and Ravens. I think i saw him hobble out of the field a few times against Dallas, and like 5 times against Ravens, so i guees a break is well desirved.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Agreed. Is it only me who think Clark have been looking a little banged up against Dallas and Ravens. I think i saw him hobble out of the field a few times against Dallas, and like 5 times against Ravens, so i guees a break is well desirved.

What NFL player isn't banged up at this point in the season?.......I'm not trying to make light of Clark's injury but if it was something serious then I think Coach Tomlin would have said something in his press conference about Clark.....I wouldn't be shocked to see Clark sit out the next two games but he will play in the play-offs....

JensK
12-17-2008, 05:10 PM
What NFL player isn't banged up at this point in the season?.......I'm not trying to make light of Clark's injury but if it was something serious then I think Coach Tomlin would have said something in his press conference about Clark.....I wouldn't be shocked to see Clark sit out the next two games but he will play in the play-offs....

Nah i know. Everyone is more or less banged up, i just saw him homble out, which could be because he is "more" banged up than the rest. Who knows.. I agree that as long as Tomlin aint saying anything i guees he'll be fine. I wouldnt mind sitting him the next two games and maybe give A. Smith a chance to prove him self again on something else than ST?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Nah i know. Everyone is more or less banged up, i just saw him homble out, which could be because he is "more" banged up than the rest. Who knows.. I agree that as long as Tomlin aint saying anything i guees he'll be fine. I wouldnt mind sitting him the next two games and maybe give A. Smith a chance to prove him self again on something else than ST?

I would think if Clark can't go then it will be Tyrone Carter to start in his place.....I really think Anthony Smith has worn out his welcome and really isn't in Tomlin's future plans.....I think this since we only see Smith on special teams.....Smith isn't even involved in the sub packages of the defense....Its a shame that Smith is wasting his talent....The kid has a ton of talent but he needs to grow up and check his ego....

DBR96A
12-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I would think if Clark can't go then it will be Tyrone Carter to start in his place.....I really think Anthony Smith has worn out his welcome and really isn't in Tomlin's future plans.....I think this since we only see Smith on special teams.....Smith isn't even involved in the sub packages of the defense....Its a shame that Smith is wasting his talent....The kid has a ton of talent but he needs to grow up and check his ego....

Anthony Smith has been a liability on special teams too. :banging:

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I am lead to believe it is nothing serious. I agree that the "Tomlinator" would say something if this were not the case.
Clark is "laying the metal" with his hits in the secondary ,and a lot of "would be " ,recievers have been finding that out.
Every man on this team has got to be prepared to play. That's how it gots ta be!!!!
I would not mind seeing Gaye try to handle the safety possition for a game to see if he could step it up one more knotch!!!!!!! Step up Gaye. You are being called upon.

brycey3675
12-19-2008, 02:08 PM
what the heck clark on crutches that sucks we need him.:cursin::thinking: with clark out smith will be in.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Just read that Clark's foot injury is not serious and he should be ready to go this weekend.

JensK
12-20-2008, 01:12 PM
TENNESSEE TITANS
Out: DT Albert Haynesworth (knee), DE Kyle Vanden Bosch (groin), CB Cary Williams (quadricep)
Probable: CB Chris Carr (illness), LB David Thornton (hip), DE Jevon Kearse (groin)

Of the probable players, Carr and Thornton both missed Friday's practice, while Kearse participated on a limited basis.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Out: T Marvel Smith (back)
Questionable: DE Brett Keisel (knee)
Probable: S Ryan Clark (foot), LB James Harrison (foot), S Troy Polamalu (foot), LB LaMarr Woodley (knee/SI cover jinx)

All players but Smith fully participated in Friday's practice.

JensK
12-21-2008, 06:30 AM
PITTSBURGH TEAM NOTES

• The Steelers look to improve to 12-3 on the year and put themselves into position to have home-field advantage throughout the entire AFC playoffs.
• The Steelers look for their first win in Nashville since a 34-24 victory during the 2001 season.
• The Steelers are looking to improve to 39-29 all-time against the Tennessee franchise (formerly the Houston Oilers and Tennessee Oilers).
• The Steelers look to improve to 10-1 against AFC opponents this year.
• The Steelers look to improve to 17-18 all-time on the road in the series history.
• The Steelers look to improve to 7-1 on the road this year.

PITTSBURGH INDIVIDUAL NOTES

QB Ben Roethlisberger
• Needs 138 passing yards to become the first Steelers’ quarterback with three straight 3,000-yard seasons. QB Terry Bradshaw had two consecutive such seasons in 1979-80.
• Needs one touchdown pass to become just the second quarterback in team history to throw 100 career touchdown passes (Terry Bradshaw - 212). Roethlisberger currently has 99 career touchdown passes.
• Needs one 300-yard passing game to move into sole possession of first place on the team’s all-time list ahead of Tommy Maddox. Roethlisberger currently has six.

WR Hines Ward
• Needs 136 yards receiving to reach 1,000 yards for the season. It would be his fifth 1,000-yard season and his first since 2004.
• Needs 13 receptions for 800 in his career.

RB Willie Parker
• Needs one rushing touchdown to move into sole possession of eighth place for rushing touchdowns on the team’s all-time list with Rocky Bleier. Parker currently has 23 rushing touchdowns.

K Jeff Reed
• Needs eight points to surpass Roy Gerela for second place on the team’s all-time scoring list. He currently has 724 career points while Gerela finished with 731 career points.

LB James Harrison
• Needs a half-sack to break the team’s single-season sacks record he shares with Mike Merriweather. Harrison currently has 15 sacks in 2008 while Merriweather finished with 15 in 1984.

DIESELMAN
12-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Pittsburgh gets the inside track on the AFC's No. 1 seed with a win in Tennessee, but it would earn a virtual two-week bye if it loses to the Titans.

The No. 1 seed, of course, brings a one-week bye in the first round of the playoffs, a home game and, if victorious, the AFC title game at home. The only difference in the No. 2 seed is that team would not play the AFC championship at home unless the top seed loses its first playoff game.

Here's the scenario: If the Steelers beat the Titans Sunday, they also must beat Cleveland at home the next week to claim the top seed, unless the Titans would lose to the Colts in their finale.

That makes their game against the Browns meaningful, the possible difference between possibly playing the AFC title game at home or on the road. However, if they lose to the Titans, their game against the Browns would be meaningless and coach Mike Tomlin could rest some walking wounded who otherwise would play such as Willie Parker and Brett Keisel, and protect some of his stars, such as Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu.

JensK
12-21-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't see Tomlin resting anyone against the Browns. They'll have a week off no matter what now. 2 weeks without playing may make them rusty. We need to go out there and beat browns no matter what. If for nothing else, then just because its great to be 6-0 in your division! :) I believe that our game is 1pm and the titans - colts is a 4pm game (or later), so if we win tonight we won't know the outcome of the game against titans - colts when we play the browns, so we'll just have to go out there and beat the living daylight out of them

HUNT4SEVEN
12-21-2008, 10:48 AM
If we win out we will have home field no matter what happends between the Colts an Titans,:tt02: because we would have beaten the Titans, i don't think Mike should rest the players if we beat Tennesse:nono:, he should at least let them play the first two quarters than rest the starters the second halve:yesnod: i don't want to give up our streak of smashing the Clowns:yellowthumb: Plus it makes my day to see the faces of the Clowns fans after we beat them time an time again:lol: