PDA

View Full Version : What are the keys for the Steelers to beat the Titans

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2008, 11:59 AM
First and foremost beyond a shadow of the a doubt, same as always but even more so this week is stop the run. If their 2 backs get rolling it can be an ugly day for any defense. Baltimore has a top rushing offense in the league and we kept them in check for the most part. Now we have another test with the Titans. They will try to run you can bet that, even if they don't succeed they won't shy away from it so we'll have to be gap sound and fly to the football for 60 minutes.

As far as Collins goes, their passing game doesn't really scare anybody so we should be able to fly to the football and use alot of blitz schemes to throw at Collins and crowd the line as well as short to intermediate route stuff so one of their backs does break through they don't get into the secondary.

On offense they are short handed on the DL so that will be a plus for us in not only protection but passing the ball as well. Speed up the tempo of the game, use the no huddle and short passing game to keep the pass rush in check. Moore could have a big game for us this week especially on 3rd downs.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I think the biggest key is forcing turn overs on defense and not turning the ball over on offense....Which is another key heading into any game but this a huge key when facing a Jeff Fisher coached team.....

Prevent long returns on special teams.....We don't want to give this offense any short fields....Since I don't think the Titans offense can sustain long drives against our defense......

BlitzburghNation
12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Like B&G said Turnovers,,,,,,:popcorn:

We need to do what we done against the rats on the game winning drive,,,,,,Short passes and keep them chains moving,,,,,,Long clock consuming drives and our "D" should hold them to 10 pts or less :beer1:

BlackGold4vr
12-17-2008, 12:51 PM
First and foremost beyond a shadow of the a doubt, same as always but even more so this week is stop the run. If their 2 backs get rolling it can be an ugly day for any defense. Baltimore has a top rushing offense in the league and we kept them in check for the most part. Now we have another test with the Titans. They will try to run you can bet that, even if they don't succeed they won't shy away from it so we'll have to be gap sound and fly to the football for 60 minutes.

A good comparison might be to compare their game against the Ravens earlier this year. They beat the Ravens 13-10. We beat the Ravens twice and have similar defenses. This will be a low scoring game for sure and I believe we will have an easier time moving the ball against their defense than they will against ours. The Steelers play well on the road so I don't believe that it is a great advantage for them. I think we will win in another nail biter. :yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2008, 12:54 PM
A good comparison might be to compare their game against the Ravens earlier this year. They beat the Ravens 13-10. We beat the Ravens twice and have similar defenses. This will be a low scoring game for sure and I believe we will have an easier time moving the ball against their defense than they will against ours. The Steelers play well on the road so I don't believe that it is a great advantage for them. I think we will win in another nail biter. :yesnod:

If Haynesworth and Vaden Bosch were playing then I think it would be another nail biter....But both are out and I think the Steelers will win this by double digits.....The Titans still have a good defense without those two but those two are big blows to that defense......The Steelers offense will score multiple TDs in this game...mark it down.....lol

21-10 Steelers

BlitzburghNation
12-17-2008, 12:56 PM
:ditto: Agree with B & G :popcorn:

Steel Trap86
12-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Stop the run...pressure & sack collins. If houston was all over Kerry Collins like they were, then the Steelers should make his day a living hell.

Even with Haynesworth in, I still think the Steelers could find a way to move the ball (eventually)

:cope: :cope:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-17-2008, 01:04 PM
If we don't turn the ball over an have an decent running game we should win with no problem. Our Defense will be just fine:imho:

JensK
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
turnovers! lots of lots of turnovers as BG said. They had a bunch of turnovers against texans and you all know how that went.

ARKIESTEEL
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I think one of the keys to the game is drinking a bunch and eating a nice amount of food before watching the game. I am not sure that the Titan fans will be able to handle what I can produce after eating nachos

OR

Stopping the run. Not making any key turn overs. ST steping up and leaving them a long field to play in. And cashing in on any and all mistakes they make.

I like the first set of options but the secound will work if we have too

AZ_Steeler
12-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Defense needs to stop the run and put the ball in Collins hands.
Offense needs to step up and do their part rather than riding the coat-tails of the defense.
Steelers need to eliminate the turnovers deep on their own end of the field.
(http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=256343#post256343)

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
They have pretty much all been hit. Play our game and we should be ok. :cope:

jpele
12-17-2008, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE]At a much different stage of his career when the two were both Titans, Haynesworth kicked Hartwig in a training-camp fight[QUOTE]

Source (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-4-379/Blogger-debate--Steelers-vs--Titans.html)

Would have made the game very interesting.. but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Bombhunter
12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Ben needs to play smart, Willie needs to run fast, Holmes and Ward need to catch well, Stonehands Nate needs to CATCH THE GODDAMN BALL MORE OFTEN, the Defense needs to keep on keepin' on and Arians needs to miss the plane to Nashville....

Pound the hell outta Collins, let them know what they are in for when the playoffs roll around. I'm sure they'll meet again...

Troyisabeast_43
12-17-2008, 04:19 PM
If Haynesworth and Vaden Bosch were playing then I think it would be another nail biter....But both are out and I think the Steelers will win this by double digits.....The Titans still have a good defense without those two but those two are big blows to that defense......The Steelers offense will score multiple TDs in this game...mark it down.....lol

21-10 Steelers

I agree with you 32 I think the Steelers offense this week will finally get in sync this week and be able to score some points in this game and actually put more then 1 TD on the board. I think that 92 yard drive at the end of the Ravens game will give the Steelers offense a big boost and a lot of confidence going into this game that they will be able to do somethings against this Titans defense. Especially since Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch are both out.

The Steelers have given up a total of 77 points on the road so far this season through 7 road games. And have only allowed 5 offensive touchdowns total. This defense is absolute gold on the road this season. And with the way Kerry Collins and this offense has struggled to score points here recently I cant see them putting up anymore then 10 points like you suggested. The Steelers once again will go on the road this week where a lot of people still wont pick them to win and make another statement that they are for real and the best team in the AFC. Tennessee has been a fraud all year long and the Steelers will prove that when they meet on the field Sunday.

Segale2001
12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
I think we will have a good game against Tennessee. The key is putting pressure on the QB, make them maked the errors, and we can then load the box and play the run. Shut em down Blitzburg! Shut em down!

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
They have pretty much all been hit. Play our game and we should be ok. :cope:

Thats what i am talking about!!!!!!! Bring our brand of "STEELERS FOOTBALL" to thier house.
There is the added incentive of the top seed at stake.
Not to try and change this thread,but did Fischer ever face Tomlin before?

DIESELMAN
12-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Once we stop their running game, the Titties will be non-dimensional. Our O needs to have 3-5 good sustained drives that produce points, preferably TD's. No TO's and sound ST's will produce home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Mike Tomlin
12-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Our defense can roll out of the bed in the morning and stop the run. I think the key to the game is the offense doing what their paid to do. If our offense could put up 2 touchdowns a game. Or even score on our first 2 possesions of the game I think anybody we played this year would have pretty much gotten blown out. I mean once we're up Lebeau can just let the pitbulls loose on the quarterback. I promise just about every game this year has been set up that way, thats why we always defer at the flip of the coin. Our D stops their O on the first drive , but our offense just won't take advantage.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I said with Vandenbosh and Hayneworth, we had a chance to light this team up. Give credit where its due, Tenn has a solid team. But this defense is similar to that of other we have faced this season. They still arent us or Baltimore though. The only way we lose this game (or win it late again) is if we are turning the ball over and losing the field position game. If Ben wants to take shots down the field he would do well NOT to challenge Cortland Finnegan, dude is a beast. Andre Johnson ate them alive last week but thats kinda rare and you can bet their secondary is gonna try to tighten back up for us.

I dont see them having a ton of success running the ball on us, no one does. Johnson is a great young talent with lights out speed. But he needs a whole and he wont find any against this d. White is a big power back with a lil speed (think Brandon Jacobs with less power) He doesnt catch passes and can be taken down by a DB in the open... he wont gain 20 yds against us!!

Collins is what you think of when you think "game manager"... he wont lose the game for Tenn. But if they get down by 14 points he isnt gonna get them back in the game. The man is a statue but he makes up for it by getting rid of the ball when he has to and doesnt take sacks. Other than Bo Scaife and Johnson out of the back field, they have no threats at reciever. If our d can get pressure on Collins and keep the short passes in check, this game may get ugly in a hurry.

LatrobePA
12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Stop the run, put the future country singer on his *** early and often!

Offense needs to jump out early with a lead, force them to play catch up!!

SteelfordWexler
12-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Typically, a teams objectives for the regular season are:

Make the playoffs, (done)
Get a bye week (done)
Get a home game (done)
Get home field throughout,

One of the reasons we often see good teams fade down the stretch is they sometimes rest some players (Indy), but more often they get very vanilla with the gameplan once the obtain their objectives. They want to quit giving the potential playoff opponents film with usefull information.

I think it is possible that either of these teams (or both) might get very simple in gameplanning this week - because it is very possible we will see each other again before long - with much more at stake.

Wouldn't you rather see us set them up well for a playoff win (regardless of venue) rather than strut our stuff with the top seed in week 15? Do we really want to let them know how we would attack them if we had to win? Besides, I could see Baltimore or Indy or any of the other playoff possiblities knocking off the Titans prior to the chamionship game anyway. I just don't know if home field throughout is important enough to lay all of your cards on the table now. Im not saying it isn't, but I guess it would be a tuff call for me if it were my decision.

Mike Tomlin
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Typically, a teams objectives for the regular season are:

Make the playoffs, (done)
Get a bye week (done)
Get a home game (done)
Get home field throughout,

One of the reasons we often see good teams fade down the stretch is they sometimes rest some players (Indy), but more often they get very vanilla with the gameplan once the obtain their objectives. They want to quit giving the potential playoff opponents film with usefull information.

I think it is possible that either of these teams (or both) might get very simple in gameplanning this week - because it is very possible we will see each other again before long - with much more at stake.

Wouldn't you rather see us set them up well for a playoff win (regardless of venue) rather than strut our stuff with the top seed in week 15? Do we really want to let them know how we would attack them if we had to win? Besides, I could see Baltimore or Indy or any of the other playoff possiblities knocking off the Titans prior to the chamionship game anyway. I just don't know if home field throughout is important enough to lay all of your cards on the table now. Im not saying it isn't, but I guess it would be a tuff call for me if it were my decision.

I agree with you on some of those points, but defensively it won't matter. Reason is are defense just lines up and beat you point blank, we dictate what the O does not the other way around. So , really when you watch film of the D you really gain nothin but a headache tryin to figure out why there is no weakness. The offense is another story

Iron City South
12-19-2008, 12:47 PM
There are only 2 ways to win .....

You either:

1) Score more points than your opponents.

or

2) Make sure your opponents score less than you

class dismissed

SteelerSteve
12-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, if they try to win by running the ball I hope they have a good back up plan.

champnation
12-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I think we have the advantage over the Titans. I feel they are slightly overrated as they had a pretty easy overall schedule. They are a good team though but one of their strengths is the running game and I think we will have no trouble shutting them down plus having a non-mobile QB will make it a fun day for our D.

MOTORKRAFT
12-19-2008, 10:21 PM
The Titans are not as good as everyone thinks. Living where I live, I've watched alot of their games. They get lucky alot, they get alot of calls and no calls. Cortland Finnegan has had more penialities not called on him this year than anyone I've ever seen. His luck ran out last week, I hope refs watch him close this week. Hines Ward should seek him out early and often. If the offense picks on him early and has success their defense will implode, because Finnegan is a 15 yard penality waiting to happen. The defense needs to welcome Chris Johnson to the N.F.L. I don't think he has been hard more than 2 or 3 times this year.
Pittsburgh Steeler football beats Oiler football anyday no matter what they call themselves. :cope::cope::cope:

steelers4life66
12-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Something to think about tomorrow.
Why are the Steelers so efficient at preventing long runs?
Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said part of the reason is because all the members of the secondary are good tacklers. Also, Polamalu said the Steelers' two-gap style of defense, which requires the defensive linemen to "read" which way the play is going, forces a running back to move laterally and doesn't create as many gaps.
"When you're always two-gapping, you can never go downhill on the linebacker," Polamalu said. "Everything is forced to go laterally and, with the speed we have on defense, it's an advantage to us."
Either way, Clark, who is second on the team with 101 tackles, is ready for Johnson.
"I look at it like, the faster he runs, the more pad I get on him, the farther he's going to fly," Clark said. "Even a 4.2 slows up when you hit him enough."
Link to rest of the article. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08356/936624-66.stm

DIESELMAN
12-21-2008, 01:23 AM
"Even a 4.2 slows up when you hit him enough."

Thats priceless!!! Clark has come a long way since he was sick and lost all that weight. I bet every tackle he makes now, he makes like it is his last. Look out Titans, you have no clue what your up against!!!

K Train
12-21-2008, 01:26 AM
i was wrong about both of our safeties....they are both making me look stupid, which is a good thing

DIESELMAN
12-21-2008, 04:17 AM
The Titans are not as good as everyone thinks. Living where I live, I've watched alot of their games. They get lucky alot, they get alot of calls and no calls. Cortland Finnegan has had more penialities not called on him this year than anyone I've ever seen. His luck ran out last week, I hope refs watch him close this week. Hines Ward should seek him out early and often. If the offense picks on him early and has success their defense will implode, because Finnegan is a 15 yard penality waiting to happen. The defense needs to welcome Chris Johnson to the N.F.L. I don't think he has been hard more than 2 or 3 times this year.

--CB Cortland Finnegan was fined $25,000 by the NFL for two separate hits that drew personal-foul penalties in last Sunday's loss to Houston. Finnegan was flagged for hitting Texans QB Matt Schaub with a helmet-to-helmet hit and later for spearing Texans TE Owen Daniels.

Pittsburgh Steeler football beats Oiler football anyday no matter what they call themselves. :cope::cope::cope:

You got that right Bro!!!!! :cope::cope::cope: