PDA

View Full Version : Three Steelers in the Pro Bowl

JensK
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Despite having the second-best record in the AFC and the league's best defense, the Steelers have placed only three of their players on the Pro Bowl.

Free safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison were named as starters today and linebacker James Farrior as a backup.

Polamalu made it for the fifth time while Harrison and Farrior each made it for the second time.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08351/935519-100.stm

Hmm... I guees all is desirved, but i could easily see Woodley there aswell, instead of Farrior. Maybe Ike Taylor aswell?

BlackGold4vr
12-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Three players from the Pittsburgh Steelers’ league-leading defense have been selected to the 2009 AFC Pro Bowl team announced today by the NFL.

Steelers earning Pro Bowl recognition include inside linebacker James Farrior, outside linebacker James Harrison and strong safety Troy Polamalu. Harrison and Polamalu have been named starters to the AFC Pro Bowl team.

This season marks the eighth straight year that three or more Steelers players have been selected to the NFL’s annual All-Star game. The Pro Bowl will be played Sunday, Feb. 8, 2009, at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

The Pro Bowl squads were selected by a combined voting of fans, players and coaches.

Harrison, a two-year starter for the Steelers, earned his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl as a starter for the AFC squad. He has already tied team records with 15 sacks and seven forced fumbles, and was voted AFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 11. That week, Harrison registered a sack and forced a fumble that resulted in a safety and also intercepted a pass, which he returned 33 yards. He ranks third on the team with 93 tackles (68 solo) and leads all Steelers with 33 quarterback pressures. The Steelers’ 2007 team MVP, Harrison registered 2.5 sacks and forced a fumble in a Week 4 Monday Night matchup against the AFC North rival Baltimore Ravens, and registered two sacks and two forced fumbles in Week 13 at New England.

Polamalu, who is widely considered the NFL’s premiere strong safety, earned his fifth straight trip to the Pro Bowl and his third as a starter (2006, 2007). A five-year NFL starter, this year’s selection ties Polamalu with Donnie Shell for the most Pro Bowl appearances by a Steelers strong safety. Polamalu currently leads the NFL with a career-high seven interceptions, ranks third on the Steelers with 10 passes defensed, and ranks fourth on the team with 75 tackles.

Farrior will make his second Pro Bowl appearance, both as a Steeler, and his first since the 2005 Pro Bowl, when he received All-Pro honors and finished second in voting for NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Farrior currently leads the Steelers with 127 tackles (86 solo), putting him on schedule to finish as the team leader for the fifth time in seven seasons with the Steelers (2003, ‘04, ‘06, ‘07). Currently in his fifth consecutive season as the Steelers’ defensive captain, Farrior has also recorded 3.5 sacks and recovered one fumble.

No surprises here! Congratulations Troy and the 2 James's :tt02:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

LarryNJ
12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
No surprises here!

There must be some sort of mistake. No one from the O?????

Congrats to the guys Troy, James & James!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Wood doesn't have quite enough of the stats yet to make it but he'll get there. Can somebody please tell me how A. Smith is NOT in the probowl this year? :cursin:

So the #1 defense in the entire NFL for most of the year and only give 3 of them a pro bowl nod..what a crock! I know we have a lot of good team players, guys that just do their jobs week in and week out but damn...Whatever though we'll just keep kicking *** every week on defense.

JensK
12-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Wood doesn't have quite enough of the stats yet to make it but he'll get there. Can somebody please tell me how A. Smith is NOT in the probowl this year? :cursin:

So the #1 defense in the entire NFL for most of the year and only give 3 of them a pro bowl nod..what a crock! I know we have a lot of good team players, guys that just do their jobs week in and week out but damn...Whatever though we'll just keep kicking *** every week on defense.

Yeah it dosnt really matter. We'll just stand around laughing when we enjoy our SB victory :) Pro Ball is overrated anyways

Iron City South
12-16-2008, 05:36 PM
I see Faneca made it again too. This is a good thing because we now get a 3rd round comp. pick for him.

K Train
12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
lets not get all worked up about it, id rather there not be a probowl lol

whos the DTs? haynesworth and?

JensK
12-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Kris Jenkins with Shaun Rogers as a back-up

edit: man NFC is going to run over AFC with Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner and
Clinton Portis. Its hard to do better than that when all are healthy.

Dee Mca
12-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Congrates to the 3 that made it. Should have been more thou. Just gives the rest of the team more time to party after our win in Tampa.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 06:29 PM

I have no problems with them naming a pro bowl team for each conference but they don't have to play the game....I usually only watch 5-10 minutes of the Pro Bowl......Sometimes not even at all so I would lose no sleep if the game itself was ever canceled.....lol

K Train
12-16-2008, 06:30 PM
rogers over hampton is a joke imo, the whole probowl is a joke lol

K Train
12-16-2008, 06:36 PM
woodley is the afcs alternate OLB

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 06:37 PM
It his a crime that Aaron Smith didn't make it......He has 6 sacks and for a 3-4 DL that is damn good.....You can't look at stats when judging a 3-4 DL........Both Smith and Hampton were robbed....

Mike Tomlin
12-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Actually I think thats about right. Taylor kept himself out of the probowl with all the dropped picks, because he pretty much shutdown everybody this year. Believe it or not Ike is becoming a shutdown corner right before our eyes. He always had the ability just not the skill, thats where Tomlin came in. Maybe Woodley as a backup. No one on the offense deserves to go to the probowl.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2008, 07:00 PM
It his a crime that Aaron Smith didn't make it......He has 6 sacks and for a 3-4 DL that is damn good.....You can't look at stats when judging a 3-4 DL........Both Smith and Hampton were robbed....

Agree 100% bro, both of those guys deserve to be there..the freekin pro bowl pisses me off so bad. It's so overrated anymore you just can't even count on the obvious selections as making it.

Im glad to see Farrior get in, that guy has been deserving of it for so long and he finally gets the nod.

popstaala
12-16-2008, 07:49 PM
how the f*ck did this happen... only two teams in the afc have defense, steelers and ravens... and that one DT from Tennessee.... the pro bowl should have more guys from our squad and ravens.... end of story....

and how the f*uck did Suggs get it over Woodley
and how the f*uck did Freeney( 24 tck 9 sack) get it over Smith (53 Tck 6sck)

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 07:52 PM
how the f*ck did this happen... only two teams in the afc have defense, steelers and ravens... and that one DT from Tennessee.... the pro bowl should have more guys from our squad and ravens.... end of story....

and how the f*uck did Suggs get it over Woodley
and how the f*uck did Freeney( 24 tck 9 sack) get it over Smith (53 Tck 6sck)

Suggs and Freeney both made it on their rep alone....Troy Polamalu made it on rep alone last year....Sorry but that is the truth...No Troy rebounded to have a great year this year and he deserved making the Pro Bowl this year....

Zachintosh66
12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Farrior was deserved, so was the money they paid him in the offseason...

Im sure we will get at least one more called to Hawaii after people start opting out...

Prolly, Aaron Smith, Hampton, maybee even Woodley or Ike Taylor... im pulling for Ike

No one from the O honestly deserves to be there (maybee Hines, if had to pick one). Ben's "importance" to the team and his numbers are 2 different levels.

Stairwayto7
12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Aaron Smith and Woodley deserved it. I wish Heath Miller would also get a nod!

Zachintosh66
12-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Miller will never get a nod as long as Gonzo, Gates and Dallas Clark are in the AFC :evilshake:

DIESELMAN
12-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Congrats to our guys for making the Pro Bowl.....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Aaron Smith and Woodley deserved it. I wish Heath Miller would also get a nod!

Miller doesn't deserve to go this year....To many quality TE's in the AFC and Miller is vastly over-rated as a blocker...He is nowhere near the blocker Mark Bruener was....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-17-2008, 01:31 AM
If we actually used Heath to his potential he'd have a real good shot but he's so vastly under used in this offense he'll probably never make it unless something changes or atleast until Gonzalez retires..lol.

Woodley will get his probowls but there's a ton of quality LB's in the AFC so for us to send 2 is very good.

ToothAche
12-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Hampton and Woodley got snubbed...............go figure

NCSteeler
12-17-2008, 04:36 AM
4-3 ends always beat out 3-4 ends. I can't remember the last 3-4 DE that went to the PB. Also I tend to disagree on Hamp. I don't know that his play has been overly great this year. Don't get me wrong he has been playing very good, he has been getting subbed out alot more this year. I really thought the ravens guy would get it Hali whatever his name is. Aaron smith should be there , he plain got robbed. Also can't figure out how all these years London Fletcher gets ignored.

JB 67
12-17-2008, 04:46 AM
seven Jet's what a joke :willybs:

DanRooney
12-17-2008, 05:17 AM

Jeff Reed got snubbed

Stairwayto7
12-17-2008, 05:45 AM
If we actually used Heath to his potential he'd have a real good shot but he's so vastly under used in this offense he'll probably never make it unless something changes or atleast until Gonzalez retires..lol.

Woodley will get his probowls but there's a ton of quality LB's in the AFC so for us to send 2 is very good.

I agree! Heath Miller is as sure handed a tight end, as they come. I wish we could get him the ball more, especially when Washington and Holmes are dropping balls!

Ambridge
12-17-2008, 09:10 AM
There must be some sort of mistake. No one from the O?????

:rofl:

Iron City South
12-17-2008, 10:19 AM

Hampton didn't get snubbed. They finally realized that pro-bowlers don't come into camp with a box of Twinkies in their hand and 40 lbs overweight. The news broke that fat *** was sent to Tomlin's fat farm 2 fields over from the practice field to run laps the 1st day into camp .....

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0g325k1aw36gK/610x.jpg

AZ_Steeler
12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Steelers not worried about Pro Bowl (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_603417.html?source=rss&feed=9)

This might be a blessing in disguise... those that feel they were snubbed will have an added incentive the rest of the year and to prove all the voters that they were wrong for leaving them out!

LatrobePA
12-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I know Bens #'s aren't the greatest, but his record speaks volumes! He's beat the best damn teams in the league.....Put em back in!