PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else notice the clock didn't stop ?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 10:51 PM
With 2:12 to go in regulation, Vick threw a pass that was caught and the player was shoved out of bounds and the clock ran down to the 2 minute warning ! That's 12 seconds right there against that 10 second runoff we got penalized for.

That could have been the difference right there. I know we shouldnt have been in that position in the first place but in a close game, every second every play counts.

Troyisabeast_43
10-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Good point Top I do remember that and didnt think much of it at the time but its a valid point you make for sure that it could have helped us at the end of the game with the time. But still with that being said Cowher's usage of the clock, the challenge,and his lack of using timeouts and not using them was just horrific today and has always been horrific since Cowher has been here.This season so far has not been one of Cowher's better coaching jobs in the many years he has been here. His clock management skills and usage of the timeout is just inexcusable Cowher has got to know when and when not to use or call timeout by now. Cowher is off the hook in a lot of ways for the Super Bowl win last season but I still think that from the first 6 games this year based on what all has happened so far he has not gone a good coaching job at all in a lot of areas. He has a lot to do with why this team is 2-4 I believe to this point.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 11:20 PM
It all comes back to us and not allowing ourselves to get in that position in the first place...but when we do find ourselves in that situation you'd like to think that something as simple as stopping the clock when a player goes out of bounds should be automatic but it isn't. Nothing about his team is automatic this year except for us being inconsistent.

I really questioned us challenging that play in the 4th quarter and burning that timeout. It was close so I can see their point but we could have used that time out instead of having to run up and spike the ball but highsight is 20-20. Cowhers clock management has definately been suspect over the years but we usually dont' have to dwell on it because we're not in a situation like we are in this season, very often. Now that we are in that situation everything that was evident before no matter how big or small is magnified 100 times.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Top Gun I didn't notice since I was to busy yelling at the defense for making Mike Vick look like Steve Young today and Crumpler look like Kellen Winslow Sr.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 11:25 PM
You're not alone 32, most people didn't notice or think much of it but the more you think about it you realize what that 12 seconds meant. It's just 1 more thing to add to the ridiculously weird and uncharacteristic season we're having.

BBG7
10-22-2006, 11:27 PM
wow...good point and I just went back and looked at it and he was pushed out of bounds at 2:17. But you are right TG, we shouldn't have let it get to that, but it did and we should have had those 17 seconds back. Oh well, no use in dwelling over it now. It's time to move on!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 11:32 PM
2:17 , hell even more of a reason, that's 17 seconds, potentially time to run 3 plays, 2 atleast but yes there's enough other stuff to focus on at this point but it just burns me up that something so simple was overlooked by the officials :(

BBG7
10-22-2006, 11:33 PM
well what pisses me off more is no one on our coaching staff noticed it and pointed it out to the officials

House of Steel
10-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey TG, you got a realtive point in the time clock. Watch the NFL issue an apology over that mistake of running 17 seconds off the clock when the damn idiot was shoved OB. 17 seconds is a major difference maker in a game. That is poor clockmanship on the refs. DAMN THEM ZEBRAS!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 11:45 PM
You're not alone 32, most people didn't notice or think much of it but the more you think about it you realize what that 12 seconds meant. It's just 1 more thing to add to the ridiculously weird and uncharacteristic season we're having.

Top Gun I think the football Gods are punishing us. Lets face it the last two years have been really special with Big Ben. It all started with our crazy off-season and it just has carried into the season. I don't know if the Steelers will make the playoffs. But the Steelers havn't played their best football yet. I'm sure of it. Now will it result into a playoff birth? Time will tell.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 09:02 AM
You can also say, Maybe we did play our best football, against the Chiefs, and now its a question of if we can duplicate that effort again or not.

We duplicated it many ways against the Falcons which I was so happy to see; the only difference is that in ATL all the turnovers that we had didn't fall our way like they did against the Chiefs. All we can do is keep on plugging away and win as many as we can. Like Arnold Harrison said last night on FSN Live, " we've alot of games left and we have to go out and try to win them all".

Troyisabeast_43
10-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Absolutely Top we still got 10 games to go a lot of them are very winnable games. Our schedule is still much easier down the stretch then Baltimore and Cincy's is. The problem is the Steelers cannot lose another game here the next 4 weeks and lose another game in the standings. They MUST pick up a game here very soon in the standings to both Cincy and Baltimore here or there not going to make the playoffs. Keep in mind that 6th seed wildcard spot still remains wide open with the Jags 3-3,Jets 4-3,Ravens with 2 games left with at 4-2 so if the Steelers can get on a run and at least find a way to get in the playoffs who knows what can happen. But they better do it now before its too late.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Time is definately of the essence. Im not worried about the ratbirds still because they are going through changes on that team and they're offense can't sustain them enough to carry them through the season without loosing atleast few more games. That cincy game is a backbreaker because we could have owned the tiebreaker against them had we won earlier and if win again when we play them.

Timing is everything right now,and now is the time. If it was every us against the world it surely is right now; just like last year.

Steelersfan
10-23-2006, 11:47 AM
I could be wrong but doesn't the clock stay running if the player is pushed out of bounds?

AZ_Steeler
10-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Well that sucks! But then again had the defense done what they are paid to do the Steelers never would have been in the prediciment. The game kind of reminds me of the playoffs last year when the Steelers used the pass to setup the run... It's kind of what the Falcons did to the Steelers yesterday...

What goes around comes around!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 03:18 PM
The player caught the ball on the sidelines and would have went out of bounds but we shoved him out to make sure he didn't try to make a move. I suppose it's a judgement call but you'd think the refs would have atleast made some type of decision right after the play by waving their arms to signal to keep it moving or to stop it.

SteelerFan87
10-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Well if it's up to the refs do you really think, based on all their other bullshit calls, that they'd NOT take another opportunity to screw us? Am I the only one who is reminded of that game against the Pats where they added almost a whole minute to the game and the pats ended up kicking the winning field goal with 3 seconds left?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Nope, I remember that game well. I don't know what it is but we seem to get the worse refs making the worse bad calls I can imagine. From the playoffs last year, the the superbowl, and it continues this year.

We are as much to blame for putting ourselves in a position to have the refs decide our fate on any given play but still you'd like to think the rules and clock keeping would kept the same when we do need them to make the right call.

SteelerFan87
10-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Hines Ward was just talking to John Staigerwald on KDKA, and he said that the head ref called the flinch on Washington instead of the side judge, who's job it is to make that call. And when the side judge tried to tell the head ref not to call the penalty, the head ref ignored him and called it anyway.

AZ_Steeler
10-23-2006, 06:26 PM
It's a conspiracy theory! :lol:

House of Steel
10-23-2006, 07:23 PM
We all seen the reaction of Hines on that call, he Slammed his helmet to the turf. I would of too. Not only would I've done that, I would of flipped the damn bird at him.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Hines wears his emotions on his shirt sleeve just like many of the players do. He knew at that point our chance of winning was severely diminished. I don't blame him one bit. He's frustrated just like the rest of the team and all us fans at how this season is going.

Steelersfan
10-24-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't put all the blame on refs. Every team gets bad calls against them at some point. With this game it never should have come to that call being a factor if you ask me. We had a chance to put the Falcons away early in that game and once again failed to do it. Not only that our D forgot to play the second have again! It's seems to be the same things costing us game.
ST's, no D in the second half and TO's. You won't beat good teams this way.