PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin has grown as a coach

ejsteeler
12-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Tomlin has grown as a coach

Tomlin was tough in his first season, showing players who was the boss. This year he is more comfortable with his team and has grown as a head coach -- and possibly coach of the year.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana / Post-GazetteHines Ward on Mike Tomlin -- "He's more comfortable with his ballclub now."

View all related imagesOne second Sunday night, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward was standing outside the team bus at Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium, saying how coach Mike Tomlin had "done wonders" for this later stage of his fabulous career by excusing him from Wednesday practices and saving his legs. The next second, Tomlin, appearing almost out of nowhere, was right there, listening to every word. Hey, at least Ward was saying nice things about the boss.

"I was just talking about you, coach," Ward said, somewhat sheepishly. "I'm going to keep propping you up so you can do this until you're 40!" Tomlin roared.

An hour earlier, Ward had been a big star in the Steelers' remarkable 13-9, back-from-the-dead victory against the Ravens with eight catches for 107 yards.

"I appreciate it, coach," Ward said.

"A few more years and I'll just make you show up on Fridays," Tomlin said, grinning, before the two headed into the wonderful night as AFC North Division champions.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

That Tomlin just might keep Ward going until he's 40, marvelous roll that Tomlin is on?

Can you say NFL coach of the year?
rest of the story... (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08351/935424-87.stm)

He'd get my vote for COY, but I am a little biased....:yesnod:

memphissteelergirl
12-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Good read...thanks for posting that! :yellowthumb:

JensK
12-16-2008, 02:31 PM
He would obviously get my vote, but aint going to happen, since we did pretty well last year. The coaches who get that is when your team sucked last year, and is doing so well now. Dolphins for an eksampel :)

BlackGold4vr
12-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Tomlin is proving to be one of the great new coaches in the NFL!

When you think about it:
1. We had the toughest schedule in the league this year.
2. We lost Alan Faneca our best offensive lineman.
3. Our O-line is horrific.
4. Our offense is dysfunctional and struggles to score points.
5. Our running game sucks.
6. Bruce Arians

Yet we are in position to end the year as the top team in the league. Some of that credit must go to the coach. Still not convinced? Ask yourself these questions.

1. Do the players R-E-S-P-E-C-T him? It appears they do.
2. Do they "buy-in" to his system and philosophy? Yes
3. Is there UNIT COHESION? Yes
4. Is the team disciplined? Yes
5. Does he accept responsibility for failures? Yes
6. Does the team accept Coach Tomlins leadership? Yes
7. Is he a winner? Yes
8. Has he achieved success at whatever he has done in coaching? Yes

Like the rest of you, I did not even have Mike Tomlin on the radar when they chose him. I was hopeful last season and this season has solidified my confidense in the Rooney's choice. Mike Tomlin is a great coach! Is he going to make mistakes? Sure, everybody does. I believe he possesses the talent to motivate people to perform at their best. Noll had it, Cowher had it, and I believe Tomlin has "IT" as well.

Remember, nobody picked us to win our division this year. Most had us behind Cleveland and some even had us third behind Cincinatti too. Even the most ardent fans here on this site couldn't look at our schedule this year and predict 13 wins. I believe Mike Tomlin deserves a look for coach of the year. If that award is not measured by the success of a team compared to its expectations then I'm not sure what the award is for. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Tomlin is definitely in the running for coach of the year IMO; based on our schedule, record, all the injuries he's had to deal with, etc. he's done good job thus far. he's not perfect and God knows the stuff he lets Arians do drives me nuts half the time but still he's growing and learning and done a good job this year.

LarryNJ
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I doubt he gets coach of the year, Dolphins, Falcons. I still believe that his footprint is on our defense as much as LeBeau's. We have never covered the pass as well as we are now. Many will say it's because of the rush we get from the LB's. That may very well be but I'd argue that we have so many sacks because of the great job Tomlin has done with our DB's.

One thing for sure he's not worried about COY awards...he wants the 6th trophy!!

Iron City South
12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Tomlin is proving to be one of the great new coaches in the NFL!

When you think about it:
6. Bruce Arians

Yet we are in position to end the year as the top team in the league. Some of that credit must go to the coach. Still not convinced? Ask yourself these questions.

7. Is he a winner? Yes

Like the rest of you, I did not even have Mike Tomlin on the radar when they chose him. I was hopeful last season and this season has solidified my confidense in the Rooney's choice. Mike Tomlin is a great coach! Is he going to make mistakes? Sure, everybody does. I believe he possesses the talent to motivate people to perform at their best. Noll had it, Cowher had it, and I believe Tomlin has "IT" as well.

Remember, nobody picked us to win our division this year. Most had us behind Cleveland and some even had us third behind Cincinatti too. Even the most ardent fans here on this site couldn't look at our schedule this year and predict 13 wins. I believe Mike Tomlin deserves a look for coach of the year. If that award is not measured by the success of a team compared to its expectations then I'm not sure what the award is for. :2cents:

Good post.

:plus1:

steelers4life66
12-16-2008, 04:56 PM
rest of the story... (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08351/935424-87.stm)

He'd get my vote for COY, but I am a little biased....:yesnod:
That was a good article thanks for the post.:grin1:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 06:08 PM
My biggest complaints about Mike Tomlin after last year was this team couldn't win on the road and really dropped the ball in big games period....Well both of those complaints are gone after this season.......The Steelers have done very well on the road this year and after this schedule this team wins the big games.....I like Mike Tomlin but he has to get his team over the hump in the play-offs period before I consider him elite......But even if this team does go on and lose their first play-off game again this year then I'm willing again to cut him some slack....Cowher lost his first two play-off games.....I also don't think the Steelers will lose their first play-off game.......The Steelers will make it to the AFC title game at least....So his first two years he has two division titles and more then likely a trip to the AFC title game.....What more can you ask really?.....

I still question some of his choices of some of his assitant coaches.....But hey Tomlin isn't perfect and I really don't see him making any changes after back to back division titles....No reason to really despite my complaints and a ton of other Steelers fans complaints about BA....lol

The jury is still out on Mike Tomlin as a HC.....He has eased some of my doubts after last year and really he has down a solid job coaching this team this year...I also think he has some what of a positive influence on our DB's.......I like Mike Tomlin and if this team goes on to win the Super Bowl this year then he will achieve God Status among the Stiller Nation....

BlackGold4vr
12-16-2008, 06:37 PM
The jury is still out on Mike Tomlin as a HC.....He has eased some of my doubts after last year and really he has down a solid job coaching this team this year...I also think he has some what of a positive influence on our DB's.......I like Mike Tomlin and if this team goes on to win the Super Bowl this year then he will achieve God Status among the Stiller Nation....

I believe it took Chuck Noll 5 years to coach in his first SB.

Took Bill Cowher 3 years to coach in his first but he lost. 14 years for a win in a SB.

If Tomlin gets us into a SB and wins in his second year.......I believe you are right about that God status. :yesnod:

Mike Tomlin
12-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I've said from day one this guy is a good coach along with everyone else in the league. One thing i've noticed we have some of the most flip flopping fans on this site , admit it or not. I mean if he wins 5 straight he's just doing ok, lose one and everyone should be fired. If you can't see Tomlins mark on this team maybe you should go to film class or be a Cowboys fan or something

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 07:09 PM
I believe it took Chuck Noll 5 years to coach in his first SB.

Took Bill Cowher 3 years to coach in his first but he lost. 14 years for a win in a SB.

If Tomlin gets us into a SB and wins in his second year.......I believe you are right about that God status. :yesnod:

You don't have to remind me of waiting right along with Bill Cowher those 14 years to finally see the Steelers win it with him as HC......I remember every AFC title game loss well and remember Super Bowl XXX......lol

I also was a huge fan of Bill Cowher's but I did starting calling for his head after the first Pats loss in the AFC title game....Mainly since I thought a change would have done some good...I know most Steelers fans don't like change but it can be good......That is why I really didn't care that Cowher resigned...Of course I'm happy that he won the Super Bowl since its the only Super Bowl win I have seen and he did deserve it.....But overall I feel we could have had at least two maybe even three Super Bowls in those Cowher years....Yes I'm still pissed......

I honestly believe the 94 Blitzburgh defense would have gave the 49ers offense a game in Super Bowl XXVIIII......Of course we came close in Super Bowl XXX but thanks to Neil we lost the game......The Steelers could have beaten the Packers the year Elway won his first......Was that Super Bowl XXXII?......

Oh well enough ranting about the past.......

Back to Mike Tomlin and I think he has done a solid job but really its only been two seasons with him as HC.......Still to early to tell but he has done one hell of a job this year.....I wasn't impressed last year since I thought the Steelers took advantage of an easy division/schedule.....But his years scheduel and with the team at 11-3 then I have no complaints....Plus like I stated my doubts were eased somewhat since the team has played better on the road this year and won big games this year....Which last year wasn't the case.....So there has been improvement this year and that is all that I can ask as a fan really....

Troyisabeast_43
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
You don't have to remind me of waiting right along with Bill Cowher those 14 years to finally see the Steelers win it with him as HC......I remember every AFC title game loss well and remember Super Bowl XXX......lol

I also was a huge fan of Bill Cowher's but I did starting calling for his head after the first Pats loss in the AFC title game....Mainly since I thought a change would have done some good...I know most Steelers fans don't like change but it can be good......That is why I really didn't care that Cowher resigned...Of course I'm happy that he won the Super Bowl since its the only Super Bowl win I have seen and he did deserve it.....But overall I feel we could have had at least two maybe even three Super Bowls in those Cowher years....Yes I'm still pissed......

I honestly believe the 94 Blitzburgh defense would have gave the 49ers offense a game in Super Bowl XXVIIII......Of course we came close in Super Bowl XXX but thanks to Neil we lost the game......The Steelers could have beaten the Packers the year Elway won his first......Was that Super Bowl XXXII?......

Oh well enough ranting about the past.......

Back to Mike Tomlin and I think he has done a solid job but really its only been two seasons with him as HC.......Still to early to tell but he has done one hell of a job this year.....I wasn't impressed last year since I thought the Steelers took advantage of an easy division/schedule.....But his years scheduel and with the team at 11-3 then I have no complaints....Plus like I stated my doubts were eased somewhat since the team has played better on the road this year and won big games this year....Which last year wasn't the case.....So there has been improvement this year and that is all that I can ask as a fan really....

If you watch Mike Tomlin today at his news conference and just his whole demeanor with everything he says and does in relation to the next game you really start to feel more comfort with the guy and start to believe in him even more. He knows what is at stake this week and just like the opportunity in Baltimore last week to close out the division and get the bye week I dont see the Steelers letting this opportunity of having homefield advantage in the playoffs go by them. Tennessee made a huge huge mistake not closing out the number 1 seed weeks ago because they left the door wide open for the Steelers and now they are about to walk right into their house on Sunday afternoon in Nashville and take it right from them.

DIESELMAN
12-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Tomlin and the Steelers are on a mission. It didn't seem so at the beginning of the season, but as time went by, the players and the coaches became united and as one. The Steelers are fueled by a passionate coach, who is slowly but surely putting his name and setting his standards on "his" team. Tomlin is only getting better as the seasons roll by, meaning plenty of trips into the playoffs and more SB appearances and wins then we ever would've of dreamed of 2 years ago.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Tomlin and the Steelers are on a mission. It didn't seem so at the beginning of the season, but as time went by, the players and the coaches became united and as one. The Steelers are fueled by a passionate coach, who is slowly but surely putting his name and setting his standards on "his" team. Tomlin is only getting better as the seasons roll by, meaning plenty of trips into the playoffs and more SB appearances and wins then we ever would've of dreamed of 2 years ago.

I hope you're right about the SB appearances and wins......I'm still a bit of skeptic since the Steelers have let me down to many times over the years.....

I think Mike Tomlin has done a solid job this and two division titles in first two years is a very good start....I'm taking the wait and see with the Super Bowls....I do think this team will at least make the AFC title game this season.....Which even if the Steelers lose the AFC title game then I still think it was good season and Tomlin deserves a year three....lol

Actually it took the first Pats loss in the AFC title game for me to fed up with Bill Cowher......So I'm willing to support Tomlin.....:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Tomlin needs to grow into getting us a couple new Tackles this offseason and some high quality draft picks or FA's to retool this average offensive line. We are so unbelievably lacking in this area that he most definitely needs to work on both the Defensive and Offensive lines. We're starting to get alittle old in those areas so having some quality depth to groom is key. I know our backups have played well this year but last year when we lost Smith we were devestated on the DL so we can't risk that anymore.

ejsteeler
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
I really don't mean any offense by this, but some of you need to get a grip and pull your heads out of your a$$es. I keep hearing how the Steelers have "let us down" and should have done this and should have done that. Take a look back. If it was really that bad, why are you such a fanatic? Because it isn't that bad. The Steelers have given us great football. I'm old enough to remember clearly 73 on and I made it through the freakin 80's lovin my Steelers. I've been upset and called for heads, but I've never thought they let us down. They play their hearts out, granted for a great deal of money, and they deserve better treatment. What a gargantuan season they are having! Don't you remember how this board was talking in the begining of the season? No one, and I mean no one imagined an 11-3 standing at this point let alone the possibility of a #1 seed going into the playoffs. Get off your high horses and show the boys some Steeler Nation love. :yesnod: :cope: :yellowthumb:

DIESELMAN
12-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I hope you're right about the SB appearances and wins......I'm still a bit of skeptic since the Steelers have let me down to many times over the years.....

I think Mike Tomlin has done a solid job this and two division titles in first two years is a very good start....I'm taking the wait and see with the Super Bowls....I do think this team will at least make the AFC title game this season.....Which even if the Steelers lose the AFC title game then I still think it was good season and Tomlin deserves a year three....lol

Actually it took the first Pats loss in the AFC title game for me to fed up with Bill Cowher......So I'm willing to support Tomlin.....:tt02:Most of your let downs have come from the Cowher era. Tomlin has these guys peaking at the right time, in only his 2nd year as HC. I see him learning a lot about being a HC in the NFL, quickly and on the fly. Just my gut feeling that he will bring a lot of success and Lombardi's to Pittsburgh.

BlitzburghNation
12-16-2008, 11:24 PM
I really don't mean any offense by this, but some of you need to get a grip and pull your heads out of your a$$es. I keep hearing how the Steelers have "let us down" and should have done this and should have done that. Take a look back. If it was really that bad, why are you such a fanatic? Because it isn't that bad. The Steelers have given us great football. I'm old enough to remember clearly 73 on and I made it through the freakin 80's lovin my Steelers. I've been upset and called for heads, but I've never thought they let us down. They play their hearts out, granted for a great deal of money, and they deserve better treatment. What a gargantuan season they are having! Don't you remember how this board was talking in the begining of the season? No one, and I mean no one imagined an 11-3 standing at this point let alone the possibility of a #1 seed going into the playoffs. Get off your high horses and show the boys some Steeler Nation love. :yesnod: :cope: :yellowthumb:

:ditto: Well said :clap: I've been a fan since summer of '74 when i was 10 yrs old and i have never booed my team and i never talk chit about my team,,,,,,But I did imagine them being 11-3,,,,,,Thought they would go 11-5 before season started and i'm glad i'm off the good way :tt02:

We may be 13-3 :pray:

I really,really,really want us to be the 1st team to win 6 supers ,,,,,,,I think Big Ben has got it and he'll eventually bring us at least 2 more titles :yesnod:

seth_westover
12-17-2008, 03:37 AM
i was happy when we picked tomlin! he is a great young mind! I love his passion and emotions! chest bumpin fist pumpin! hes got the potential to be a great coach! id love to see him bring home number 6 for us!

snowman79
12-17-2008, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=BlackGold4vr;256171]Tomlin is proving to be one of the great new coaches in the NFL!

When you think about it:
6. Bruce Arians

7. Is he a winner? Yes

Remember, nobody picked us to win our division this year. Most had us behind Cleveland and some even had us third behind Cincinatti too. Even the most ardent fans here on this site couldn't look at our schedule this year and predict 13 wins. I believe Mike Tomlin deserves a look for coach of the year. If that award is not measured by the success of a team compared to its expectations then I'm not sure what the award is for.

AMEN TO THAT BRO

:steelersflag3:

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I really,really,really want us to be the 1st team to win 6 supers ,,,,,,,I think Big Ben has got it and he'll eventually bring us at least 2 more titles :yesnod:

:ditto: back at ya....I believe he can and will and oh yes, what a feeling it would be to have that 6th one first!!!!:yesnod: Flippin off the cowgirls and fortynodders as we lift that trophy...I can see it now....:king2: :toot:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM

Did I ****ing say it was that ****ing bad....Jesus Christ posts like this and fans like this why I hate this site at times anymore.....Sorry if I'm in the opinion the Steelers could have won more Super Bowls under Bill Cowher.....

Some of us fans have different opinions and it doesn't make us any less of fan if we're not constantly positive or don't share your same view asshat.....:lol:

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Did I ****ing say it was that ****ing bad....Jesus Christ posts like this and fans like this why I hate this site at times anymore.....Sorry if I'm in the opinion the Steelers could have won more Super Bowls under Bill Cowher.....

Some of us fans have different opinions and it doesn't make us any less of fan if we're not constantly positive or don't share your same view asshat.....:lol:

Well, that's why I started it out with "no offense" butt munch. There are many opinions as you say and that one is mine. So :biteme: :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Well, that's why I started it out with "no offense" butt munch. There are many opinions as you say and that one is mine. So :biteme: :yellowthumb:

Yea I usually respect all opinions but when you call out other fans for not sharing your own or think they're less of fan then I have a problem....Being positive doesn't make you a better fan....I'm loyal to the Pittsburgh Steelers not to one player or coach....That is why I'm critical of players or coaches since they come and go....The one constant will be the Pittsburgh Steelers...So maybe you should look at that before calling me out bitch....

HUNT4SEVEN
12-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Tomlin is the man:yellowthumb: an he's only going to get better as time goes on:yesnod:,He's an much better overall Coach :imho: because he fixes all phases of his team:yesnod:Granted he has to get the Offense in order next year, but he made the Special Teams play this year Special, other than our last superbowl run the S.T sucked Thank u Tomlin for an GREAT YEAR:clap::clap: here's hoping u have many more:tt02::tt02::cope::yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
If I were calling you out, you would know it. Take a chill pill and go lay back down. :popcorn:

DBR96A
12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
A few thoughts of mine based on some of the posts I've read...

1. At this point I care, but I also don't care, about how we do down the stretch. I do care because it sets the tone for the post-season, but I don't care because even if we lose on Sunday in Nashville, we can still finish 12-4 with a first-round bye, and we will have EARNED such a record with the schedule we've had.

2. Bill Cowher doesn't deserve as much blame for our AFC Championship Game/Super Bowl XXX losses as some people give him. The problem wasn't so much Cowher as it was the QBs. He's the only coach in Super Bowl history to out-coach his opponent and still lose. The real problem was the QBs. Neil O'Donnell put up pretty stats, but he failed in the clutch. Kordell Stewart was just a headcase, and Tommy Maddox became a headcase after that gnarly concussion. At least Cowher was wise enough to draft Ben Roethlisberger.

3. Cut Mike Tomlin a little bit of slack. I've heard coaches time and time again say that the hardest thing to do as a head coach is put together a coaching staff. Even the best coaches can err in the process.

Segale2001
12-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Living in Florida, it is hard to hear much from Tomlin. It is tought here. But there is one cool thing about Tampa Bay. There are planty of Steeler fans and Steeler bars.