PDA

View Full Version : What if Bill Cowher coaches the Browns

STEEL CITY TANK
12-16-2008, 05:01 AM
How would you feel as a PITTSBURGH STEELER fan :cope: if Cowher became Cleveland's head coach? Now I know you'd be beyond mad from his lack of loyalty towards Pittsburgh after 15 seasons. Do you think he'll take the job? Do you care if he takes the job? If he does, would you get more pleasure out of beating the clowns? Share your thoughts and predictions of if he goes to the clowns or somewhere else.

K Train
12-16-2008, 05:14 AM
could care less.

and he was a brown before he was a steeler...so much for loyalty lol

he will fail wherever he goes, everyone who needs a coach has cowher on speed dial like hes the cure all for a team

Mike Tomlin
12-16-2008, 05:15 AM
They'll continue to lose to us twice a year. I would hope no one cares, that's like worrying about who your ex is f***ing lol! You'll drive yourself crazy that way

Steelerchick
12-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Being a Brown first is incorrect; he grew up in Crafton, which should make him a stone cold Steeler fan; I look at his stint in Cleveland as the path that got him back to the Burgh and the dream job. Then he gives it all up and even considers coaching another team???????? Whatever, to each his own. :2cents:

jpele
12-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Being a Brown first is incorrect; he grew up in Crafton, which should make him a stone cold Steeler fan; I look at his stint in Cleveland as the path that got him back to the Burgh and the dream job. Then he gives it all up and even considers coaching another team???????? Whatever, to each his own. :2cents:

Exactly...

I don't see Cowher taking the Browns job,but if he does,I wish him all the luck in the world (he'll need it) except when he plays the Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
12-16-2008, 11:23 AM
There will be a bidding war for Cowher if he so much as hints at the possibility of coming back; Washington, Cleveland, Detroit, all will be in the running for him and anyone else that fires their coach.

As a fan yeah I'd be pissed but at the same time he's gonna do what he wants and Im sure he'd love to go back and coach in the AFCN since he has so much experience. It doesn't matter, he doesn't have any insight to the team that would give him any significant advantage over any other team anymore. We're a completely different offense and our defense is way above what it was many of the years he was here.

BlackGold4vr
12-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Bill Cowher will have a very tough time reproducing the results that he achieved in Pittsburgh. When he was hired on by the Rooney's he had the fire in the belly. The "Chin" was adrenaline personified and that passion and intensity spilled over onto the team. He was never the X's and O's guy but he was able to motivate his players to achieve greater things. I think they feared disappointing him as much as they feared his spittle when they came off the field following a mistake. I don't see that fire in him anymore. I didn't see the fire the entire season after we won the superbowl. He was already planning his next life and we didn't see the passion that last year. I believe the coach that we saw that last year will be the same coach you see when he takes his next job. The hunger is gone and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays where he is at. He looks very comfortable and content. Currently he is looked at as a championship coach. Were he to come back he could only tarnish his resume because the chances to duplicate his success are slim. Thats just my opinion. :yesnod:

Stairwayto7
12-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I wouldn`t want him too, but understand that money talks! But no coach has ever won a SuperBowl with two different teams. And he has so much rebuilding to do, that he may not even be up to the task. This team was suppose to be so good, they are terrible on both sides of the ball. There best players are always injured, Winslow, or can`t catch, Edwards. So that leaves thier biggest weapon, Cribbs. This team is so far away from ever being a contender, they, the fans think that Cowher will be the savoir, just because we kicked thier *** with him. With kicked thier *** with Noll, and now Tomlin, so its more than the coach. Its all the way to the ownership. browns fans, you want Cowher? Have him! It will not help! Same team, same colors, same old results.

ejsteeler
12-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't care one way or the other, but I do not think he will be back to coaching next year. Maybe two-three more years, but not yet. I'll wish him luck whereever he goes....until game time at least. :yesnod: :cope:

:ditto: BlackGold4vr

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Do not really care. That organization needs more help then Cowher can provide.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM
I wouldn`t want him too, but understand that money talks! But no coach has ever won a SuperBowl with two different teams. And he has so much rebuilding to do, that he may not even be up to the task. This team was suppose to be so good, they are terrible on both sides of the ball. There best players are always injured, Winslow, or can`t catch, Edwards. So that leaves thier biggest weapon, Cribbs. This team is so far away from ever being a contender, they, the fans think that Cowher will be the savoir, just because we kicked thier *** with him. With kicked thier *** with Noll, and now Tomlin, so its more than the coach. Its all the way to the ownership. browns fans, you want Cowher? Have him! It will not help! Same team, same colors, same old results.

No head coach has won Super Bowls with multiple teams?.....What about Don Shula? He was their HC when the Colts were upset by the Jets in Super Bowl III...But the Colts won Super Bowl V.....Wasn't Shula the HC for the Colts we they won Super Bowl V......Of course he won two Super Bowls with the Dolphins......Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Don Shula won Super Bowls with two different teams....

Triple-S
12-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd support it...

..I'm a browns fan though.

I don't expect a super bowl out of him...

I just want him to help build a legit defense, beat Pittsburgh at least once a year and make us look respectful again as an organization.

BlackGold4vr
12-16-2008, 06:21 PM
No head coach has won Super Bowls with multiple teams?.....What about Don Shula? He was their HC when the Colts were upset by the Jets in Super Bowl III...But the Colts won Super Bowl V.....Wasn't Shula the HC for the Colts we they won Super Bowl V......Of course he won two Super Bowls with the Dolphins......Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Don Shula won Super Bowls with two different teams....

You are wrong. Don Shula coached the Colts one more season after the loss to Namaths Jets but left for the Dolphins prior to the start of the season the Colts won SB V. He was replaced by a guy named Don McCafferty who coached them to the SB V victory. :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 06:26 PM
You are wrong. Don Shula coached the Colts one more season after the loss to Namaths Jets but left for the Dolphins prior to the start of the season the Colts won SB V. He was replaced by a guy named Don McCafferty who coached them to the SB V victory. :yellowthumb:

Well I didn't think I was 100 percent so that is why I asked....lol I'm only 29 to so I wasn't alive to see Shula coach in the late 60s and early 70's.....lol I knew he was the HC of the Super Bowl III losing Colts...I knew the Colts beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl V but I wasn't sure of the HC....Thank you for the correction....:yellowthumb:

BlackGold4vr
12-16-2008, 07:43 PM
No problem. Didn't mean to sound so terse with my answer. I didn't know either but google did. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
No problem. Didn't mean to sound so terse with my answer. I didn't know either but google did. :lol:

I didn't take it that way....I was just saying I thought it was Don Shula since he was the HC in Super Bowl III but I wasn't 100 percent sure....So basically I was asking if I was right...lol Plus was to lazy to even google....So I was happy for the correction.....

lloydfan4life
12-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I respect Cowher for the great things he did while with the Steelers. I wish him nothing but the best no matter where he goes or what he does. As far as coaching for the Brownies... I can't see him taking any offer from them, but if he would I would still respect him and wish him the best..... just not on game day!! :cursin:

BlitzburghNation
12-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I would HATE IT ,,,,,,I think alot of steeler fans would hate to see him with the clowns,,,,,,But saying all that,I really think he's not going there,,,,,Pat Kirwin said he love his job at CBS and he's having a ball :popcorn:

Had a feeling that them Super-chargers might fire there HC who's an OC playing HC :lol:

He would do wonders for them Bolts IMO and he would love the weather and scenery :DANCE04: :lol:

Wish he would stay at CBS ,,,,,, But the highest bidder will probably get him :yesnod:

steelers4life66
12-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

But what about Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/200315) or Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers) linebacker James Harrison (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/114761)? They're not far-fetched choices; in fact they are among the five favorites to win it.
According to oddsmakers at Bodog, Peterson is the favorite at 3-2 to win the league MVP, followed by Manning at 2-1. In third is Roethlisberger at 5-1 and tied for fourth is Harrison along with Dallas quarterback Tony Romo (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/142729) at 10-1.
Not only that, but Harrison picked up the biggest endorsement this week since the Electoral College met and picked Barack Obama. Indianapolis Colts (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/indianapolis-colts) coach Tony Dungy appeared on "The Sirius Blitz" on Sirius NFL (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl) Radio and was asked by host Adam Schein, "Peyton Manning (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/69814), league MVP?''
Peyton Manning (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/69814)'s coach said not so fast.
"If I had to vote right now I'd vote for James Harrison (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/114761) from Pittsburgh,'' Dungy replied. "He's just been phenomenal in anchoring a defense that's playing as well as anyone in the league and he does so many things for them."
Dungy explained that, "He's like a Randy Moss or Dwight Freeney. You have to game-plan for him in terms of how you're going to block him in the passing game. So he puts that on the table even before the game starts and then he does other things. He drops in pass coverage. He covers tight ends. They move him around, and he's not just a one-dimensional rusher. He's a linebacker that also rushes and he's been the most dominant player on the best defense in Football and, shoot, by next Sunday they may have the best record in Football."
CBS analyst Phil Simms, on a different Sirius Radio show, also picked Harrison.
"Right now, I would give it to James Harrison (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/114761). But I think Peyton is in that mix, and I'll tell you the other one, this Troy Polamalu. Wow. It's real. He is the best safety in Football, and I'll argue it forever. He does everything. Tremendous tackler, he can cover and he can blitz. He is a unique safety. And he has the size to do it all, too. He's a short guy with a big body, that's what I think separates him."
Don't forget Tomlin
And how about Mike Tomlin for NFL (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl) coach of the year, or at the least AFC coach of the year?
He's not likely to win it for the same reason Chuck Noll won it only once in 23 seasons or Bill Cowher once in 15. The expectations are too high for a Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers) coach -- once Noll established the bar, that is.
Coach of the year usually goes to the guy who led a team that won only a few games the previous season to a .500 record or a little better. Those honors likely will go to rookie coaches Tony Sporano in Miami and Mike Smith in Atlanta, even though both teams might not make the playoffs.
Me, I'm likely to vote for one of four: Tomlin or Tennessee's Jeff Fisher in the AFC, and Tom Coughlin of the New York Giants or Carolina's John Fox in the NFC. All had to overcome plenty to place their teams among the top two in each conference.
Tomlin had the toughest NFL (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl) schedule and injuries, including a couple to his quarterback. Fisher changed quarterbacks. Coughlin had injuries and Plaxico Burress. Fox had everyone wanting to fire him entering this season so they could hire Bill Cowher.
Link to rest of story. Talk about cowher not going to Cleveland. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8968476/ON-THE-STEELERS

AZ_Steeler
12-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I personally don't see that Big Bens name should even be mentioned as a candidate for league MVP... The Steelers won without him and he only seems to show up the last 5 minutes of games. That's not an MVP to me.

kgreen
12-21-2008, 12:49 AM
I will personally hunt him down!:evilshake::cursin:

AZ_Steeler
12-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Cowher rumors run rampant in Cleveland (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_604548.html?source=rss&feed=9)

Bill Cowher may not be at Heinz Field on Sunday when the Steelers host the Browns in the regular-season finale for each team. But the specter of Cowher will be present at the 1 p.m. game, and it will loom over the Browns' sideline and embattled coach Romeo Crennel.

Speculation is rampant that Cowher, who coached the Steelers from 1992-2006 and won a Super Bowl, will replace Crennel. A simple connecting of the dots shows why such a scenario is plausible.

Cowher has ties to the Browns as a player and a coach, and Cleveland may be desperate enough to dangle the kind of money and control it would take to coax him back to the sidelines.

The franchise has had two only winning seasons and one playoff appearance since the Browns returned to Cleveland in 1999. The Browns (4-11) have lost 10 consecutive games to the Steelers and have regressed badly after going 10-6 in 2007.

Crennel, who is nearing the end of his fourth and possibly final season in Cleveland, is 24-39 with the Browns.

"They said they would evaluate the situation in January," Crennel said. "(And) they have been true to their word since I have been here."

When asked if he expects to keep his job beyond the 2008 season, Crennel said: "You never really know in this business."

NFL teams are generally not known for their patience, and there are countless examples of the broadcast booth serving as a layover for ex-coaches.

Cowher, 51, is in his second season as a studio analyst for CBS. He played for the Browns from 1980-82 and spent four seasons in Cleveland as an assistant coach.

But his Pittsburgh roots may be the one thing that would make Cowher think twice about going to Cleveland. Cowher has a street in his native Crafton named after him. He also holds a place in Steelers lore, given what he did in 15 seasons as the team's coach.

"Where he goes is up to him," Steelers linebacker James Harrison said. "That's something he'll have to decide when the time comes."

The topic of Cowher coaching the Browns was broached in the Steelers' locker room earlier this week, although wide receiver Hines Ward dismissed such talk.

"We're not thinking about Cowher," Ward said. "We're worried about Cleveland and going to the playoffs."

The Browns were expected to make a push for the playoffs this season, especially after the way they finished 2007 and the additions they made in the offseason.

But the Browns have been decimated by injuries, and they will start their fourth quarterback this season if Bruce Gradkowski, a Seton-La Salle graduate, opens under center Sunday as expected.

Crennel has to hope those circumstances, as well as Cleveland's 35-14 win over the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants earlier this season, are enough to save his job.

"I think we can look at that Giants game," Crennel said, "and say if we prepare like we did for that game and play like we did in that game, that is what the future can be."

I would be sick to my stomach if Cowher went to Cleveland!

blackngold29
12-29-2008, 02:39 AM
I would be somewhat surprised if Cowher does take the job, but seeing him come rolling into Heinz Field with a big puffy Brown and orange jacket.... that's just weird.

DIESELMAN
12-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Bill Cowher will have a very tough time reproducing the results that he achieved in Pittsburgh. When he was hired on by the Rooney's he had the fire in the belly. The "Chin" was adrenaline personified and that passion and intensity spilled over onto the team. He was never the X's and O's guy but he was able to motivate his players to achieve greater things. I think they feared disappointing him as much as they feared his spittle when they came off the field following a mistake. I don't see that fire in him anymore. I didn't see the fire the entire season after we won the superbowl. He was already planning his next life and we didn't see the passion that last year. I believe the coach that we saw that last year will be the same coach you see when he takes his next job. The hunger is gone and I wouldn't be surprised if he stays where he is at. He looks very comfortable and content. Currently he is looked at as a championship coach. Were he to come back he could only tarnish his resume because the chances to duplicate his success are slim. Thats just my opinion. :yesnod:

Good post John, gotta agree with you. Don't see him coming back as a HC, maybe FO, after all money talks and bullshit walks.....:banana:

popstaala
12-29-2008, 04:15 AM
its not goin to happen... once a steeler always a steeler...