PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bye & Home field work to the Steelers advantage?

Steel Trap86
12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Haha Well obviously its good the Steelers can take a well needed week off to rest up and better prepare for whoever the upcoming opponent is, but we all know the Steelers play well under pressure and on the road. sh!t they are road warriors man. Home field advantage throughout the playoffs is supposed to be a good thing and I'm not saying it isnt, but tell that to last years team who lost to the Jags twice in Pittsburgh...and the bye week is good for getting healthy and rested, but not so good for staying in rythme, which is exactly what the Steelers are in right now, a win streak. The 05 Steelers & the 07 Giants are great examples of the "hard way" but it doesnt get any sweeter then that does it?! Now that we are the #2 seed and playing Tennessee next week, the #1 seed, there's no doubt we're playing for that #1 spot. Home field advantage will be good when the Steelers play the Colts again, because I dont think we want to see the Colts in that dome, but teams like the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Broncos even the RAVENS can get beaten where ever we play.

I'm all for the Bye and the Home field Im coming out for the AFC championship game if its in Pittsburgh lol, but I still say it has its advantages and disadvantages.

:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::tt02::tt02:

Iron City South
12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure what you said ....

but in all honesty .... Who gives a damn where we play?, .... bring 'em on!

JensK
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
We are good on the road, but many of these teams would FEAR to come into Pittsburgh in the middle of january. Its cold, its snowy and its god aweful... We are healthier now than last year (so far at least.. knock on woods!). Also, i can only imagine how fired up Heinz field would be in a AFC Championship game. We are smarter than last year. I think it'll be alright.

As for the bye-week.. It is much much needed at that point. Tomlin, of course, needs to keep them going. He needs to practice single day with them. We all know how rusty we always are after a bye-week.

ejsteeler
12-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Very huge for us and we would do great at home. Think about it, it's bad enough that Steeler Nation invades other stadiums at will and turns a home field advantage around. Now imagine that energy concentrated into the huge mass of Steeler faithful that would be in Heinz Field and you get one hell of a ruckus! No one wants to play in those circumstances against our D.

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it because the 05 team obviously proved the home field is not a must, and having homefield hasn't ever seemed to help us in the playoffs (recent years anyway) so I dunno, but I'd rather watch a home game than away. The important thing is that we're in and we have a bye.

Steel Trap86
12-15-2008, 12:30 PM
As for the bye-week.. It is much much needed at that point. Tomlin, of course, needs to keep them going. He needs to practice single day with them. We all know how rusty we always are after a bye-week.

ya thats what im saying, tomlin needs to keep them going and knock all the rust off before it even starts!! :cope: I love that the Steelers are gonna have some home playoff games, but I'd love it even more if the WON them....straight up

LarryNJ
12-15-2008, 01:46 PM
The chances are good that we get 2 home games even if we don't have the number 1 seed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Titans are 1 and done.

Troyisabeast_43
12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
The chances are good that we get 2 home games even if we don't have the number 1 seed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Titans are 1 and done.

I agree I dont think Tennessee goes far at all in the playoffs. That's the good news about this whole scenario. The only team the Steelers would have to go on the road and face in the playoffs would be the Titans. Going down there this week and playing them whether the Steelers win or lose will have the Steelers even more prepared for the Titans come playoff time should they have to make another trip to Nashville. Every other team though that I believe are much better then the Titans such as the Colts,Jets,Pats,Baltimore,and even Denver or Miami MUST all come here into Heinz Field and win if they hope to advance anywhere. Goodluck trying to win in Pittsburgh in January especially with crowd noise being insane for those playoff games at Heinz Field,also with possible bad weather, and the way this defense is just playing out of their minds here pretty much the whole season.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2008, 02:01 PM
We've proven we can win the road or at home so either way we're in the drivers seat to atleast get 1 playoff game at home but it would be the best case to have both the divisional and championship games there at Heinz. Having the homecrowd behind the defense when they need it is a big lift.

There's not a player in the league that wouldn't want to stay in the cozy confines of their home crowd in the do or die situations that come in January.

steelers4life66
12-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Question, Doesn't the stadium have to hold some tickets for the opponents fans?

Stairwayto7
12-15-2008, 02:47 PM
I think it will help! But its nice to stay on a roll

LarryNJ
12-15-2008, 03:30 PM
We have all been through some terrible defeats at home in the playoffs under the Cowher regime and last year. This year I think is different. The defense is on a mission and that mission doesn't end in Jan. They are very quiet about it but you know deep down that they realize that they have something special going on. They have a great chance to be grouped in the greatest defenses of all time. Like the 91 Eagles if they lose no one will remember them. Like the Steel Curtain, 85 Bears and whatever year it was the Ravens won the SB, they will be forever remembered in history if they win 5 more games. Their stats are better than the 3 defenses that I mentioned. I don't think they will get cocky or complacent because the Offense simply isn't good enough to allow them to relax for even 1 series, let alone a quarter or half.

Win it in the Burg!! We the fans deserve it!

Mike Tomlin
12-15-2008, 11:33 PM
This season reminds me so much of the '05 season not becasue of the record but the D made plays every time. No matter where the other team started their drive they would always make a play especially in crunch time. That's how I feel now everytime we're down I know some how some way somebody on defense will make a play.

The difference is this time Ben is playing like someone else that wore that jersey number. How many times has the O struggled all game and Ben moved the O right down the field on the last drive? Thats something that the ANAL yst lol! aren't talking about.

One more thing that means nothing ,but i kinda see it as a sign. I'm originally from Mississippi and was the only Steelers fan i knew and been one since I knew about football, so there is not a lot of Steelers merchandise there. The beginning of the '05 season my grandmother ordered my first Terrible towel online. That year the went on to win the whole thing. This year I went to my first steelers game ever ,granted it was a preseason game in Minnesota but it was the closest i've ever gotten to a real Steelers game. The whole game sucked but I was excited like it was the superbowl and up to the last minute everyone thought the vikings would win the game,but we pulled it out in the end.

I say that to say this, that year I went from never having anything with a Steelers logo on it for 20 odd years to having a terrible towel to finally seeing the steeler win a superbowl.
3-4 years later I see my first steelers game ever and the D is playing the same way. I got a good feeling this year people. Funny thing is when we were 15-1 I didn't feel like we were sure to win the whole thing, unlike these 2 years.

DIESELMAN
12-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Big difference between us now and last years team. We are gaining steam this year and we are almost 100% healthy going into the playoffs. Whereas the 2007 team fizzled towards the end of the season and we had a patched up D. I agree, there will always be that stigma of coming into Pittsburgh that no team really likes or can get used to, especially in the cold months of the playoffs.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Were 6-1 on the road 5-2 at home, i think we will be better off at home because this ain't Coward coaching us:lol:, i want the road to Tampa to go through Pittsburgh:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't think Tomlin will let this team come out flat with a bye week/homefield advantage and I think having the homefield will actually work in our favor this time.....Plus Stiller Nation we will see no Tom Brady in the play-offs....lol

But I don't want the Steelers to play the Colts.....Trust me I think the Steelers can beat the Colts but I much rather see them play another QB besides Peyton Manning in the divisional round or in the AFC title game.....None of the other AFC play-off QBs would concern me and no team will run on this defense in the play-offs......

But I do think it will be the Colts/Steelers in the AFC title game......I think those are the two best teams in the AFC.......The AFC West is a joke and really the Broncos or the Chargers who have slight play-off chances shouldn't even be in the play-offs....I don't think the AFC East is that much better.......The Jets are over-rated and Pats well like I said no Tom Brady....lol The Dolphins are a nice story this year and Joey is having a great year but they would be no match for the Steelers......The Titans are coming back to earth and really are not as good as that record indicates.......

ejsteeler
12-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Nope. First come, first serve.

Iron City South
12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Tomlin's legacy will be defined by his ability to prepare his team for post-season play.

Troyisabeast_43
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't think Tomlin will let this team come out flat with a bye week/homefield advantage and I think having the homefield will actually work in our favor this time.....Plus Stiller Nation we will see no Tom Brady in the play-offs....lol

But I don't want the Steelers to play the Colts.....Trust me I think the Steelers can beat the Colts but I much rather see them play another QB besides Peyton Manning in the divisional round or in the AFC title game.....None of the other AFC play-off QBs would concern me and no team will run on this defense in the play-offs......

But I do think it will be the Colts/Steelers in the AFC title game......I think those are the two best teams in the AFC.......The AFC West is a joke and really the Broncos or the Chargers who have slight play-off chances shouldn't even be in the play-offs....I don't think the AFC East is that much better.......The Jets are over-rated and Pats well like I said no Tom Brady....lol The Dolphins are a nice story this year and Joey is having a great year but they would be no match for the Steelers......The Titans are coming back to earth and really are not as good as that record indicates.......

I agree 32 you and I have been saying this for weeks now and it's looking more and more with the way the seeds are possibly setting up here that it has a very legit chance of happening. One good thing this year is the AFC Championship game is at 630 in the evening this season so if there is a chance for bad weather that night to get worse playing in the evening would make that all the better. You want there to be swirling winds, cold temperatures,percipitation whether it be snow or rain or a mix, and just everything humanly possible in the Steelers favor to go along with an insane crowd at Heinz Field if you're going up against a guy like Peyton Manning and give him every possible disadvantage he could ever have playing against this awesome Steelers defense. But like you and I agree upon 32 I will be very surprised if there is any other game happening on January 18th,2009 at 630 PM other then the rematch of the Colts at the Steelers.

Ambridge
12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
I have mixed feelings!!

Home playoff games are like gold but like we've seen the past few years it's the team that gets hot the last 2-3 regular season games and rides that momentum all the way into the playoffs as the visiting team and knocks out the favored home team.

I'd like to see the Steelers keep on playing without a bye week....keep the Steeler Express on the tracks and rolling and don't let any Rust build-up with the time off.

Is there a team out there in either conference who is going to show up and make the long shot run??

AFC-Don't see it here

NFC-I hate to say it but I have a funny feeling about the Eagles.

Zachintosh66
12-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I gotta believe yes it will help...

1. With all the injuries we've had this year
2. Ice Cold Heinz Field (bring in Indy, Ten or Mia)
3. Offense could use the x-tra week of practice!

Captcoolhand
12-21-2008, 10:52 AM
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers have a chance to be the front-runner for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, but you might think they would avoid that like an offer to go target shooting with Plaxico Burress.

It's been well-documented what happened when Burress and a gun were in the same area, and the Steelers have had about as much success as the No. 1 seed in the NFL postseason. The Steelers played AFC title games at home after the 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001 and 2004 seasons and went 1-4. They advanced to the Super Bowl after the 1995 season but lost to the Dallas Cowboys.

The Steelers' best playoff run lately came as the sixth and final seed after the 2005 season, when they won three straight playoff games on the road and won Super Bowl XL against the Seattle Seahawks.

The Steelers (11-3) face the Tennessee Titans (12-2) today at LP Field in Nashville with a shot to earn home-field advantage. And they're embracing it.
"We can play well anywhere, I believe, but it's better to be home in front of your home fans and at home with your family," Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "So that's what we want to do, and it's definitely something we're working toward. We want that home-field advantage."

Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend agreed wholeheartedly.

"That's why we play, to be here in Pittsburgh for the playoffs," Townsend said. "We can win on the road, but if we play well this week we'll be able to get two home games."

The Steelers have done well on the road this season, with two of their three losses coming at home, but coach Mike Tomlin said it certainly would be easier to face a team like the Titans, Baltimore Ravens or Indianapolis Colts at Heinz Field -- with the raucous Steelers fans behind them -- than it would traveling to their venues.

"There's nothing mystical about home field other than the fact that you have the support of your fans and that makes it tough for people to operate," Tomlin said. "But we've got to be willing to back up that with action and make it a winning edge for us and make it an advantage for us."

History isn't on the Steelers' side this week. They are 1-7 in Tennessee since the club moved there in 1997. This game is crucial for the Steelers, not just to earn home-field advantage but to be on a roll going into the playoffs.
Last season, the Steelers limped into the postseason with injuries to several key players. They also were on a losing streak down the stretch.

"There's a lot on the line with home-field advantage," linebacker LaMarr Woodley said.

"The main thing for us is to win these final two games and finish strong. We want to finish on a good note, not like last year, and go into the playoffs on an upswing."
But it won't be easy, considering that Tennessee has the best record in the AFC and ranks among the best defensive units.

"We knew we had a tough schedule when the season started," Steelers safety Ryan Clark said. "We didn't know Tennessee would be that good, but we don't want it to be easy. The schedule made us battle-tested, and that gets us ready for the playoffs. Home field, that's more for the fans, I think. We can win at home or on the road." Well curses are ment to be broken...They need to prove it and bring us home another Ring!

yinzer
12-21-2008, 11:02 AM
this ISN'T cowher football anymore.

LarryNJ
12-21-2008, 11:30 AM
this ISN'T cowher football anymore.

:plus1:

We don't have the offense to take the other teams fans out of the game, but we do have the defense to get our fans into the game. Win the last 2 and take our chances in Pittsburgh!

Captcoolhand
12-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Well 1 thing you can probably say about Tomlin....He isn't playing not to lose! :stirpot:

yinzer
12-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Well 1 thing you can probably say about Tomlin....He isn't playing not to lose! :stirpot:

mix it up!!!

Captcoolhand
12-21-2008, 11:42 AM
mix it up!!!
Cool Sig Yinzer. :yellowthumb: I just notice that Steeler light shining up in the air like Batman Sign...:lol:

yinzer
12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Cool Sig Yinzer. :yellowthumb: I just notice that Steeler light shining up in the air like Batman Sign...:lol:

thanks, Capt!! :yellowthumb: compliments to BOMBHUNTER!! i always wondered how you got your avatar to play on a loop like that.

hsrdad30
12-21-2008, 11:55 AM
This is the year we can break the jinx on homefield.

Captcoolhand
12-21-2008, 11:56 AM
thanks, Capt!! :yellowthumb: compliments to BOMBHUNTER!! i always wondered how you got your avatar to play on a loop like that.
If I tell ya, I have to Kill ya! :lol:

Seriously, that's 1 secret AZ won't tell me....:rant2:

yinzer
12-21-2008, 12:35 PM
If I tell ya, I have to Kill ya! :lol:

Seriously, that's 1 secret AZ want tell me....:rant2:

:lol: damn that AZ!! :lol: