PDA

View Full Version : Overtime rules need to be changed ?

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Ive always been a proponent of the NFL sudden death over time setup. I always like the fact that you have to step up and be accounted for especially on defense because the game can be lost in a heartbeat.

But this year Ive started to rethink that line of thought. Why not do it like college does. Each team gets a chance to score on 1 posession and it goes on from there getting progressively harder with each passing OT until somebody chokes.

There's pros and cons to both but if each team gets a turn to have the ball in regulation, why not in OT ?

Koopa
10-22-2006, 10:57 PM
hell yeah it needs to be changed, they should just play the full quarter, or go college style, it's no fair that if you don't win the coin toss you are pretty much ****ed

Steelerlyn
10-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Ive always been a proponent of the NFL sudden death over time setup. I always like the fact that you have to step up and be accounted for especially on defense because the game can be lost in a heartbeat.

But this year Ive started to rethink that line of thought. Why not do it like college does. Each team gets a chance to score on 1 posession and it goes on from there getting progressively harder with each passing OT until somebody chokes.

There's pros and cons to both but if each team gets a turn to have the ball in regulation, why not in OT ?

I completely agree! It should be like college.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 10:59 PM
That's a good point Koopa. Play 1 full quarter no matter what and let the best team win. If it goes to a tie after that then so be it. If its a playoff game then play 1 full quarter and after that go to the college system.

BBG7
10-22-2006, 11:00 PM
I agree that I like college OT better. According to the stats it doesn't matter who has the ball first, but it stings when you don't even get a chance to score.

SteelerDan43
10-22-2006, 11:04 PM
I always found the college OT to be a bit "gimmicky" why not just play a full extra quarter or just a truncated quarter like most sports. But even the college version is better than the pro-version. The one sidedness becomes even more blatant in a shoot out type games such as this. I would imagine the all time winning percentage for the team that wins the coin toss is probably pretty damn high.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I like the overtime the way it is. I hate the college OT. This is only an issue when a team losses. Don't change the OT. Lets face it the Steelers shouldn't even have let this game go into OT in the first place.

BBG7
10-22-2006, 11:17 PM
I really don't care if they go to college or a full quarter...just as long as the other team gets a chance to have the ball on offense too.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I really don't care if they go to college or a full quarter...just as long as the other team gets a chance to have the ball on offense too.

But thats why they call it sudden death and makes the OT some exciting. I'm still trying to figure why Farrior called head. Tails never fails bro.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 11:23 PM
But thats why they call it sudden death and makes the OT some exciting. I'm still trying to figure why Farrior called head. Tails never fails bro.

I said that exact same thing in the gameday thread. I was like WTF are they doing calling heads !! We always call tails !!

BBG7
10-22-2006, 11:23 PM

I would go heads all the time! I know that's why they call it sudden death, I just don't like it. Yes, our D could have stopped them, but I still think our offense should get a chance to match them...just my opinion

Koopa
10-22-2006, 11:25 PM
screw excitment.....you gotta give both teams a fair shot at winning, sudden death doesn't do that

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 11:29 PM
screw excitment.....you gotta give both teams a fair shot at winning, sudden death doesn't do that

Hey Koop life isn't fair bro. Then why should the NFL be any different? The Steelers shouldn't even have let this game go into OT. Plus if the Steelers would have won in OT today then we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey Koop life isn't fair bro. Then why should the NFL be any different? The Steelers shouldn't even have let this game go into OT. Plus if the Steelers would have won in OT today then we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.

:iagree: there's just way too many If's all year long with this team !

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I would go heads all the time! I know that's why they call it sudden death, I just don't like it. Yes, our D could have stopped them, but I still think our offense should get a chance to match them...just my opinion

You're entitled to your opinion and I was just giving my opinion.

Hawk Believer
10-22-2006, 11:35 PM
I agree that the current system sucks. I think the college OT system does a much better job of determining who is the better team that day. Plus, who likes a system that enourages a team to go for a field goal instead of a touchdown?

House of Steel
10-22-2006, 11:37 PM
I want a College OT system for the NFL Sudden Death. I think it is only fair.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 11:37 PM
That's a good point Hawk ! The NFL loves to see high scoring game so why not give each time every chance to score more points especially in OT !

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
I hate the college OT. A game could be 17-17 and end up 36-36. Then the stats are out of whack.

SteelerDan43
10-23-2006, 12:04 AM
I hate the college OT. A game could be 17-17 and end up 36-36. Then the stats are out of whack.

Thats why I think it would be better to play a truncated quarter kind of like basketball and hockey

Koopa
10-23-2006, 12:06 AM

and life has what to do with football again?????????? football is a game, it should be fair for everyone

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 12:12 AM
and life has what to do with football again?????????? football is a game, it should be fair for everyone

Ok Koop I'll just shut up and won't have a conversation. I just find very funny the only time this whole OT is an issue is when the Steelers lose. Now if the Steelers would have won today then we wouldn't even being having this discussion right now. The NFL OT is fine. The game shouldn't even have went into OT in the first place. Plus the defense had the Falcons 3rd and long and couldn't cover Crumpler on that key third down play. They couldn't cover Crumpler all day for that matter.

The Steelers sloppy play and the defense falling apart today had more to do with the loss then the Steelers not getting a chance in OT.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 12:13 AM
The game should be fair for everyone but on any given week you can see a ton of reason as to why it isn't.

Celebration rules, overtime rules, judgement calls on late hits, referees missing calls that can't be reviewed.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 12:16 AM
I'd still be wondering about the OT rules regardless of whether we won or not, its just magnified because we lost.

The long and short of it is, and I agree with you on this 32, we were up 17-7 and well in control of this game. We let it slip away because we turned it over and let the Falcons get more and more confidence as the game went on and stayed close. We had the chance to rip their hearts out in the first half and once again we couldnt put the team away.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 12:20 AM
I'd still be wondering about the OT rules regardless of whether we won or not, its just magnified because we lost.

The long and short of it is, and I agree with you on this 32, we were up 17-7 and well in control of this game. We let it slip away because we turned it over and let the Falcons get more and more confidence as the game went on and stayed close. We had the chance to rip their hearts out in the first half and once again we couldnt put the team away.

I just like the sudden death format. If anything they should change is maybe play a full quarter. I don't like the college OT at all. Hey the chips didn't fall the Steelers way today. Thats life. The only thing the Steelers can do and we as a fan base is hope that Ben is OK and lets focus on the Oakland Raiders. As I type this the fact remains the Steelers only have 1 more win then the Raiders.:banging:

Koopa
10-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Ok Koop I'll just shut up and won't have a conversation. I just find very funny the only time this whole OT is an issue is when the Steelers lose. Now if the Steelers would have won today then we wouldn't even being having this discussion right now. The NFL OT is fine. The game shouldn't even have went into OT in the first place. Plus the defense had the Falcons 3rd and long and couldn't cover Crumpler on that key third down play. They couldn't cover Crumpler all day for that matter.

The Steelers sloppy play and the defense falling apart today had more to do with the loss then the Steelers not getting a chance in OT.

but i've always hated the sudden death overtime, i think it sucks ***, if we would've won of course we wouldn't be talkin about this cause tg wouldn't have a made a thread....it's an issue cause tg brought it up, which gave me the oppuruntity to express how i've always felt about OT in the nfl

BBG7
10-23-2006, 12:29 AM
I agree that the current system sucks. I think the college OT system does a much better job of determining who is the better team that day. Plus, who likes a system that enourages a team to go for a field goal instead of a touchdown?

Great point. We all know all you have to do in OT is get it close and kick the FG. There is no reason a team needs to go for a TD.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 12:30 AM
The chips didnt fall our way because we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Sure there is a certain amount of luck involved any given sunday. The way the ball bounces, how long a play takes run, a fluke tipped ball that goes back into a WR's hands, but all in all we have the means to avoid overtime in any game but when we can't it would just be nice to have the option of getting the ball.

The more I think about playing 1 more full quarter, the more I like it, but who knows if the NFL will ever rethink their OT strategy or not so :nonod:

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 12:36 AM
but i've always hated the sudden death overtime, i think it sucks ***, if we would've won of course we wouldn't be talkin about this cause tg wouldn't have a made a thread....it's an issue cause tg brought it up, which gave me the oppuruntity to express how i've always felt about OT in the nfl

Well you think it sucks ***. I think its fine. We won't change our opinions and its all good. If the NFL does change it I would agree with playing a whole quarter like you suggested. I don't want the college OT in the NFL. I hate that ****.

Koopa
10-23-2006, 12:38 AM
i don't really like the college ot either, but it's better then this lol...it would be cool to see ben go from throwing 2 tds in regulation to 7 after a college type ot lol

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 12:40 AM
The chips didnt fall our way because we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Sure there is a certain amount of luck involved any given sunday. The way the ball bounces, how long a play takes run, a fluke tipped ball that goes back into a WR's hands, but all in all we have the means to avoid overtime in any game but when we can't it would just be nice to have the option of getting the ball.

The more I think about playing 1 more full quarter, the more I like it, but who knows if the NFL will ever rethink their OT strategy or not so :nonod:

Dude I'm just trying to stay positive. Thats why I said the chips didn't fall our way. I know we shot ourselves in the foot. Like I said I'm trying to stay positive instead of going off the deep end. Thats why I need the help from the Nation. Lets just stay positive and focus on the Oakland Raiders. I really think the Steelers best football is still ahead of them. They just can not afford to lose anymore games.

Friday133
10-23-2006, 09:42 AM
I like the overtime the way it is. I hate the college OT. This is only an issue when a team losses. Don't change the OT. Lets face it the Steelers shouldn't even have let this game go into OT in the first place.

i agree 100%. if we had won the coin toss and the game we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 09:51 AM
I know it seems like poor timing on my part but Ive been thinking of putting up a thread like this for awhile now I just didn't get around to it yet, and yesterdays game seemed like a good time for the nation to revisit this topic and see what we think.

So yes we'd have had this conversation regardless at some point. Anyways yeah I know we just have to look forward right now and hope that the friendly confines of Heinz can help us keep the division title in sight !

SteelersWoman
10-24-2006, 11:01 AM
i agree 100%. if we had won the coin toss ....

I think the coin toss is what seems to be the problem for most people--at least for the ones on the losing end of it--and I can kinda see why.

You have two teams who, at the end of the game "appear" (and I use that word loosely ;) ) to be so closely matched in skill level that there's a tie. A tie, of course, should be broken.

Since both teams are so closely matched, I think it would be safe to say that whoever "wins" the coin toss (which is PURE luck and has nothing to do with skill) is most likely going to "win" the game.

So out of the imperfect way of deciding who's going to get the ball, the "winner" is imperfectly decided by the easiest way to score points, which is a FG.

I can understand the coin toss at the beginning, because you have no way of knowing how each team is going to play until regs are over.

But since you know by the end of regs that the teams are fairly evenly matched (via the score), perhaps the ball should go to the team who racked up the most total yardage instead of doing a coin toss. Perhaps they should have to play until someone gets a TD instead of a FG. Perhaps our guys will just play great football from now on and won't have us biting our nails off at the end of the 4th quarter :dunno:

I personally think that it's just kind of sad that the whole kit and kaboodle rides (basically) on the way a coin falls in an OT game (not talking during the regs game here)--although I'm in total agreement with whoever said that it shoulda never even COME to that in "this" particular game--but it did.

I don't think there's any easy answers to this issue, and everyone seems to have so many ideas on it..perhaps the NFL should put it in poll form and let all the players, coaches, and owners etc vote. It might stay the same way, or it could change--and I'd bet a quarter on that :greengrin:

BlitzburghRockCity
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Maybe we should just have a shootout like in Hockey :lol: only use FG kickers. start out at 25 yds and keep moving back 10 yds a time ;)

BBG7
10-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I feel the same way about both teams getting a chance...however, with the stats, I don't think the NFL will change any time soon. I'm pretty sure the team that wins the coin flip only wins 28% of the time on the first drive (Or something like that).

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I feel the same way about both teams getting a chance...however, with the stats, I don't think the NFL will change any time soon. I'm pretty sure the team that wins the coin flip only wins 28% of the time on the first drive (Or something like that).

That is correct BBG7. Thats why I say they should leave it as is. But if the NFL does change it. I hope they let the teams just play 1 more full quarter. I don't want the college OT in the NFL. I hate that ****.

AZ_Steeler
10-24-2006, 05:29 PM
This topic is like :deadhorse: Every year the competition committee brings this up and every year it's turned down.

For me the OT is fine because it forces a defense to really step up their game and dig a little deeper and try get the ball back for their offense to give them a shot as well.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
This topic is like :deadhorse: Every year the competition committee brings this up and every year it's turned down.

For me the OT is fine because it forces a defense to really step up their game and dig a little deeper and try get the ball back for their offense to give them a shot as well.

Man I totally agree with you. I like the OT the way it is.

SteelersGirlTN7
10-24-2006, 11:32 PM
I always found the college OT to be a bit "gimmicky" why not just play a full extra quarter or just a truncated quarter like most sports. But even the college version is better than the pro-version. The one sidedness becomes even more blatant in a shoot out type games such as this. I would imagine the all time winning percentage for the team that wins the coin toss is probably pretty damn high.

Actually - the showed a stat before OT started .. and it was kind of shocking .. of course our game didn't fall into the stat .. lol

it was like 29.4% of games decided on the opening drive (winner of the toss)

That means 80.6% chance for us ... LOL What happened?

Edit: Oops, I didn't read all the way thru the thread before posting ... someone beat me to it :-)

OneSteelSoldier
10-26-2006, 06:46 AM
I agree that I like college OT better. According to the stats it doesn't matter who has the ball first, but it stings when you don't even get a chance to score.I totally agree! having two teams in a shoot out, and then allowing only one to have the ball in OT, is crazy. They need to adopt the college rule for OT games. Or at least let them play a full QT.:crossfingers: