PDA

View Full Version : The problem is not the Steelers o-line!

JensK
12-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Our offence struggeling is not the o-lines fault. It is Ben, hes recievers and the play-calling (not so much though). The o-line played really well against Ravens last night, and they kept Big Ben safe pretty much all game. The first sack from Ray Lewis, it was Moore who should pick him up, which he did not. That happens. It was the blind side, so i won't give Ben the fault either since he had no idea that Lewis was comming. It was really just good play-calling on defence more than anything else.

The second sack was a blitz overload, which again, was a good call on the defence. Hartwig cannot block both Lewis and Reed (noone can!), so really it was bound to happen. I think it was willie in the back field there, who was going to block on the weak side, which was bad field-reading by willie, but not the o-line fault.

The last sack from suggs was on ben for holding on the the damn ball.

The o-line really kept him alive the whole game, and then even opened some decent gaps for Parker to run in (he had a few 10y runs). What is wrong with our offence is our recievers who are not catching that damn ball, or not getting free of their respective defender. We also all know that Big Ben is having a hard time making the right choice atm, not getting the ball thrown away, throwing the ball behind the recievers and so on.

All im trying to say is, that while i know i o-line is not good at all, they are not the actual problems atm. They are doing their job faily well.

Stairwayto7
12-15-2008, 06:55 AM
All valid points! I agree that our O line has been playing better, and that it is NOT, thier fault, although they did have a few false starts yesterday. Ben does hold on to the ball to long at times. He wants to make things happen each and every play, maybe it cause he is struggling this season, so he is pushing it somewhat?
But I still think that we have bigger issues!
1. Our recievers are the best we have, but not near the best in the league. Time after time Ben has to throw, and they haven`t turned yet to see the ball coming. I know they have a route to run, and some are timing plays, but they have to be smart enough to sense the blitz, or know that the play has taken to long and Ben may need to get rid of the ball.
2. Our receivers, most of them, run thier route, and thats it. Sometimes Ben has too much time, but nobody open, our recievers need to keep moving, come back to the ball, help Ben out.
3. Drops! This category, gets shared, each week they take turns, Hines is really reliable, and Heath cathches nearly everything, the rest, ?????? You just never know.
4. Arians does suck, everything about our play calling sucks. He doesn`t call plays, based on the talent that he hasd, or doesnt have>

LarryNJ
12-15-2008, 07:56 AM
They line is getting better but than they were but they still have a long way to go to be considered anywhere near good. They did a decent job on giving Ben some time, but I think their run blocking is well below average. Ben looks much better than he did a month or so ago. The recievers played terrible yesterday. I really don't think you can blame Arians yesterday. So many drives were stopped by pentalties and dropped passes. The players must excecute the plays and they didn't.

I still think they are showing improvement and I feel better about our chances in the playoffs.

LatrobePA
12-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Look what the Cowboys did to Eli last night, 8 freakin sacks, they brought the same kinda pressure against us, we picked them up for the most part.....

DIESELMAN
12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Well at least we're improving (peaking) at the right time, headed into the playoffs. As far as the WR's go, hell yeah they need to get their heads out of their asses. Holmes had 7 thrown his way and only caught 3 (45%), Washington had 11 thrown his way and only caught 5 (43%), Ward, well Ward is Ward, he was 8 for 9 (89%) :yellowthumb:.

ejsteeler
12-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Keep in mind folks, we played against a mirro-image, number 2 ranked defense as well. And for one am no longer goign to harp on Ben holding the ball too long. Does he, yes. Did he win the game doing it, yes. All, and I mean all we need to do to make it to and win the SB is change up our snap count and get some creative play calling instead of the same old thing. :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Dare we say that our OL is actually improving alittle bit, and that Starks is actually starting to play just alittle bit better each week? He's played against the best in the pass rushers in the league and he's struggled at times and drove us nuts but he is getting alittle better. They even talked about possibly trying to bring him back next year or atleast hinted at the possibility so who knows.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
The first sack from Ray Lewis, it was Moore who should pick him up, which he did not. That happens. It was the blind side, so i won't give Ben the fault either since he had no idea that Lewis was comming. It was really just good play-calling on defence more than anything else.

The second sack was a blitz overload, which again, was a good call on the defence. Hartwig cannot block both Lewis and Reed (noone can!), so really it was bound to happen. I think it was willie in the back field there, who was going to block on the weak side, which was bad field-reading by willie, but not the o-line fault.

I gotta say i disagree with you on these two statements. The first sack Lewis came untouched while Hartwig had no one to block and doubled down with Chris K (i belive) When he doesnt get a man to block he needs to keep his head on a swivel cause lewis came right past him. On the second sack same thing, Hartwig didnt get a hat on a man and then let reed blow right past him while he barely got a hand on him. On the plays where BAL went all-out-blitz Ben did a great job of unloading the ball. Our oline is playing better no doubt... but both of those 2 sack happened when we had Hartwig either not blocking anybody or doubling down to let a free blitzer go by, thats unacceptable.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2008, 04:33 PM
That one where Reed came through was the worst of the 2 in terms of protection. He came free because Hartwig was engaged already and didn't move over. If we would have had a back in there or a say Heath there to help it wouldn't have been a problem. Hartwig and the interior of the line has done a good job overall the last half of the season with keeping guys out of Ben's face up the middle but yesterday they did have a few breakdowns. Still though they are a lot better than they were and that's a good sign.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Big reason the sacks are down is the Steelers have went to a short passing game since the Giants loss......Ben has had to change his style of play mid-season and is still adjusting to the dink and dunk type of offense....We all know that isn't Ben's strong suit as a QB and really Ben/Arians like to go deep but they can't since the protection can't hold up that long for the deeper routes to develop most of the time....In my opinion when you can't throw the ball deep due to pass protection issues then its on the OL.....

I will say this yes they're getting better as a unit and really the OL played a solid game vs the Ravens....But are OL is still far from being a very good offensive line....I still think they're average at best....

I agree our WR's have been problems at times....We have no WR's that can dictate coverage and create consistent separation.....Plus they all including Hines have dropped to many balls this year.....

I also don't thin Ben has played perfect or great this year....He will always make some questionable decisions but I also thin his shoulder isn't 100 percent....His shoulder won't be truely 100 perecent until after the season when he can give the proper rest to heal.......I do think Ben also adjusting to a short passing game has been a factor.....

The blame on offense really can be spread around to the entire unit but I still believe if the Steelers improve the OL then our skill players will live up to their potential....

SteelerJack
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Dear JensK Mon nite

Like you, I bleed black and gold but couldn't disagree with you more. Here's why:
1. 2007-08 Steelers lead NFL in sacks given up
2. We choose not to sign our only all pro lineman and ship him off to the Jets
3. ALL our backs have little to no success unless they try and run outside
4. I'm not certain but where do we rank in sacks given up this year? Bottom 5?

Whoever in the front office is responsible for player acquisition ought to be fired!
If you're going to pay the franchise QB a zillion dollars, why not spend more than
$23 and get some personnel on the 0-line to keep him from getting nearly killed each
week? Bengie does hold the ball a bit too long too often but Bruce A needs to insert
some "quick release" plans (like New England/Colts) into the playbook.
Tell me why ya think I'm full of Crap!

Warmest Regards from Conklin, N.Y.,

Steeler Jack
ps. I think Willie C was the guy who allowed Lewis to get through.....as he was part
of the double team on the D-tackle..

Iron City South
12-15-2008, 11:00 PM
You guys are high ....

Our OL is one of the bottom 3 or 4 in the league. They're a rag-tag bunch of flee-market specials (with the exception of Starks) that have a combined IQ of about 80.

Are they capable of holding thier own now and then? ..... absolutely. You just won't see it consistently.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
You guys are high ....

Our OL is one of the bottom 3 or 4 in the league. They're a rag-tag bunch of flee-market specials (with the exception of Starks) that have a combined IQ of about 80.

Are they capable of holding thier own now and then? ..... absolutely. You just won't see it consistently.

That's about all we can hope for this year and look forward to somebody getting their act together in the draft room in 2009.

The first 10-12 years of Cowhers regime he drafted OL constantly even when we didn't really need them per say so we always had a well stocked, talented, and deep group of guys to call on. The last few years and now under Tomlin's first 2 drafts we haven't done **** and we're paying for it big time. When you ignore the offensive and defensive lines year after year sooner or later it will bite you. You really should take an OL every year in the draft on day 1 at the very least in the 3rd round. You never know who's going to get hurt, leave, or play poorly and you'll be glad you have reserve guys waiting.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
You guys are high ....

I'm not and I clearly stated that the OL is the main problem and is average at best....

JensK
12-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Dear JensK Mon nite

Like you, I bleed black and gold but couldn't disagree with you more. Here's why:
1. 2007-08 Steelers lead NFL in sacks given up
2. We choose not to sign our only all pro lineman and ship him off to the Jets
3. ALL our backs have little to no success unless they try and run outside
4. I'm not certain but where do we rank in sacks given up this year? Bottom 5?

Whoever in the front office is responsible for player acquisition ought to be fired!
If you're going to pay the franchise QB a zillion dollars, why not spend more than
$23 and get some personnel on the 0-line to keep him from getting nearly killed each
week? Bengie does hold the ball a bit too long too often but Bruce A needs to insert
some "quick release" plans (like New England/Colts) into the playbook.
Tell me why ya think I'm full of Crap!

Warmest Regards from Conklin, N.Y.,

Steeler Jack
ps. I think Willie C was the guy who allowed Lewis to get through.....as he was part
of the double team on the D-tackle..

We do rank rather low in sack against us, but that was the first half of the year. WE arent giving up all that many sacks at all now. Dallas and Ravens both have a top tier defence. I never really said that our o-line is good.. not at all, but i am saying that they are not the sole reason why we suck on offence.