PDA

View Full Version : Arians FIRED! (whats your gameplan?)

Iron City South
12-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Ok, hypothetical situation .... :greengrin:

Tomlin just fired Bruce Arians and tapped you to be the Off. Coordinator. What's your plan of attack against the Rat Birds this week?

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Kramer.....Is that you? (LOL)
Arians draws more ,or at least ,just as much heat for our offensive woes. This offense we have can score some points.
They haven''t so far,and it is kind of hard to put a finger on exactly what it is ;that is wrong. I hate the predictability that our offense shows from time to time.
A lot of people place the blame on the offensive line. Even though i think that is not the case. The others tend to lean to Arians as an issue! Some say Ben holds the ball too long , and sometimes i agree with that. Most of the time we have to go back to who calls the play. Who did call that play?
I think when it is a successful play , you don't ask yourself that question. It might be better to ask;why did that play work. Then build off why that particular play worked.
I like the post though "Steeler Brother" of my favorite team!!!!:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

DIESELMAN
12-12-2008, 11:29 PM
1. No huddle 1st drive of the game, get the Ravens D confused. Mix in the no huddle throughout the game.

2. Quick, short passes with the occassional mid to deep ball when their coverage comes up to stop the short stuff.

3. NO 2 TE sets!!!!! ****!!!!!

4. Bring Russell in as FB, let him pound the Lewis, Scott and Suggs for a while.

5. Hot Reads!!!!! Everyone has to make double sure of their assignments. The Ratbirds are going to be bringing it from the beginning to the end.

6. Dumpoffs and when theres nothing there, throw the ball away is good to.

7. More 4 WR sets, when we get the Ratbirds come out of their press coverage, we can have more oppurtunities for deep throws.

8. MIX IT UP!!!!! Keep the Ratbirds guessing!!!!! Run instead of pass, pass instead of run. Throw in some screens....we won't be able to run very good, but when we do it has to be somewhat effective and keep their defense honest.

champnation
12-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I do hope the steelers play one back or no back sets and make the larger Ravens linebackers have to cover washington or holmes. I think with the ravens you just have to give them different looks. Ed Reed is the only one who concerns me on their D, Ray Lewis is getting a little older and losing some of what he had before.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2008, 12:08 AM
If we win the toss, go on defense first. Set the tone early and let them know we mean business right from the start. No messing around trying to feel out the team and what their trying to do. Send the heat right away and get in Flacco's face early and often.

Ok as far as offense goes..

I like Diesel's idea of the no huddle. keep the ratbird defense off balance and don't them zero in on any one thing in particular. Come out firing with the no huddle, mix in the short passing game and intermediate routes. Get the ball out of Ben's hands early and often. Use the quick slant routes, dump offs, screens etc. Get them moving in all different directions so they can't stack the line and just come after Ben.

Roll out Ben a lot, to both the left and the right. Keep him moving so they are always wondering what's going to happen next. Be as unpredictable as you can.

As far as the running game goes put Davis on the bench and stick Russel in there and let him pound on Ray Lewis up the middle every time we run. Start Moore and let Parker spell him.

When in the redzone for God sakes use Heath and Matt every chance you get, whether it's as a decoy or as a target. Both of them would command a double team and no ratbird defender can outjump them on the fade routes.

LatrobePA
12-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Pound the F'N BALL down their throats! Then hit them with some play action!! This is what Ben was born to do!!

Roll them the BLANK UP!!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Call me crazy but I have a thought....I would replace Hines Ward in the starting lineup with Nate Washington.....But I also would use a three wide set so really Ward wouldn't be replaced as a starter since he would be the slot guy....My reasoning for this.....I think we need deep speed on the outside and with Washington and Holmes this would give up some deep speed and defenses would have to respect that......Plus this could help our running game......Plus I Ward is the perfect WR to go over the middle....I just think it takes Ward to long to get open at times......

I agree ditch the double TE sets at times and use this three wide package with Ward in the slot and Moore in the backfield.....Then you could keep Miller in to block at times when needed and he still could be a factor in the passing game.....Moore could be used to chip then release into a pattern for Ben as in outlet......I would also dink and dunk and then try to go deep if Ben has the protection.....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Ward is going to be key in this game, he needs to be in there every snap on offense, he's as tough as they come and if we're going to have a running game he will be key component of that for sure. We do need to have speed to stretch that defense and Nate is pretty adept at making big plays so I'd look for him to have an impact simply because any double coverage is going to roll to Ward or Holmes for sure.

As far as the 2 TE sets goes we might as well not even bother unless we buck the trend and actually throw out of it to one of them.

BlitzburghNation
12-13-2008, 06:50 PM
1. No huddle 1st drive of the game, get the Ravens D confused. Mix in the no huddle throughout the game.

2. Quick, short passes with the occassional mid to deep ball when their coverage comes up to stop the short stuff.

3. NO 2 TE sets!!!!! ****!!!!!

4. Bring Russell in as FB, let him pound the Lewis, Scott and Suggs for a while.

5. Hot Reads!!!!! Everyone has to make double sure of their assignments. The Ratbirds are going to be bringing it from the beginning to the end.

6. Dumpoffs and when theres nothing there, throw the ball away is good to.

7. More 4 WR sets, when we get the Ratbirds come out of their press coverage, we can have more oppurtunities for deep throws.

8. MIX IT UP!!!!! Keep the Ratbirds guessing!!!!! Run instead of pass, pass instead of run. Throw in some screens....we won't be able to run very good, but when we do it has to be somewhat effective and keep their defense honest.

:ditto:
This is it,,,,,,,,Just call Tom :yellowthumb:

DIESELMAN
12-13-2008, 07:03 PM
:ditto:
This is it,,,,,,,,Just call Tom :yellowthumb:
:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

One more thing....use a FB!!!!! FWP needs help, give him his FB!!!!! Wasn't it McHugh who damn near knocked Bart Scott's head off earlier this year? Dude is 6'5 265 lbs, he can also catch coming out of the backfield, theres something no one will find on any game films. Last season with the Lions, he made 12 starts and caught 17 passes for 252 yards, thats almost 15 yds per catch!!! I'm just sayin.....

K Train
12-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Call me crazy but I have a thought....I would replace Hines Ward in the starting lineup with Nate Washington.....But I also would use a three wide set so really Ward wouldn't be replaced as a starter since he would be the slot guy....My reasoning for this.....I think we need deep speed on the outside and with Washington and Holmes this would give up some deep speed and defenses would have to respect that......Plus this could help our running game......Plus I Ward is the perfect WR to go over the middle....I just think it takes Ward to long to get open at times......

I agree ditch the double TE sets at times and use this three wide package with Ward in the slot and Moore in the backfield.....Then you could keep Miller in to block at times when needed and he still could be a factor in the passing game.....Moore could be used to chip then release into a pattern for Ben as in outlet......I would also dink and dunk and then try to go deep if Ben has the protection.....

exactly, attack the outsides and open up ward and moore over the middle and underneath

SteelerSal
12-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Burn the Bunch formation

Burn the 2 TE formation

Burn the singleback set

Burn the Empty backfield (at the goaline)

Don't wait till the playclock is down to 1 second, every play

Call the play at the LOS, every down, to keep their defense from subbing

Use the TE more

Stay with the HOT HB

Fullback, Fullback, Fullback

Stlrs4Life
12-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Got to this thread late. But, would immediately push for Kreiders return, and get rid of Carey loser Davis. And go back to Steeler Football.

jpele
12-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Got to this thread late. But, would immediately push for Kreiders return, and get rid of Carey loser Davis. And go back to Steeler Football.

I agree,but Mike Tomlin would be mad to hear you say that. Steeler football is about winning not about running titles. lol

popstaala
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
I loved the Tformation we had... to slow down pass rush... the play calling was poor at times but they did just enough to get the W... i think thats the Steeleers new identity.... killer defense with just enough offense....

Black@Gold Forever32
12-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Dan Kredier was cut by the Rams....That should tell you something that Dan might not have nothing left....He was great in his role as the blocking lead FB in his years with the Steelers....But an old washed up Dan Kreider is not the answer for the Steelers running game...How about upgrading the entire OL?.......Improve the OL then it won't matter if there is a FB leading the way or not.....

jpele
12-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I believe Joe Flacco was the hottest QB coming into this week, well he left the game with a QB rating in the neighborhood of 22.1

I love when they brag about how good the QB is that we'll be facing.

CaliforniaSean
12-14-2008, 11:46 PM
i would sure hate to see how you guys turn on the rest of the coaching staff and team if we had a losing season.
we're 11-3, why are we calling for a coach's head?

i consider myself a fan, win, lose or draw, i stand behind them all year long. we have had winning season, after winning season, and all i here out of you guys is "fire arians". how about you shut up, and accept the steelers for the championship caliber team that they are.

DIESELMAN
12-15-2008, 12:48 AM
i would sure hate to see how you guys turn on the rest of the coaching staff and team if we had a losing season.

i consider myself a fan, win, lose or draw, i stand behind them all year long. we have had winning season, after winning season, and all i here out of you guys is "fire arians". how about you shut up, and accept the steelers for the championship caliber team that they are.
We are 11-3 due mostly to our great D. If we had a OC that actually came out with a game plan that worked to our strengths, imagine what our record would be then...14-0??? We have a talented offense, we should be giving them every oppurtunity to win and not just in the 4th Q.

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 12:53 AM

I'm with you on this one, but there have been complaints the whole year; very few of which I've heard outside of this forum. But I think the main thing is that we constantly rely on our D to win. Usually and I mean 99% of the time, there will come a day when the D just won't be able to step up and the offense will have to win the game and they haven't showed that they can score a lot.

We have a better D than the Pats last year, but they won big because of their offense. Give this D a great O-line and a healthy running back and we would be killing people.

DIESELMAN
12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
but there have been complaints the whole year; very few of which I've heard outside of this forum.
I seriously doubt that, you must not get out much.....So you agree with and like the play calling by Arians?

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 01:06 AM
I seriously doubt that, you must not get out much.....So you agree with and like the play calling by Arians?

Can you give me a Post Gazette or Trib article demanding his head? All Tomlin cares about is wins and he's getting those, so he certainly won't complain. ESPN talks about TO all day no matter what he does so they certainly could give a crap about us.

There are definately times when I disagree with him, but I think if the offense could execute the plays he calls it would be a whole hell of a lot better. How many drops did Santonio and Washington have today, Spaeth dropped a TD pass. O-line continues to suck (though not as much, I'll give them that). It is far from all on Arians's shoulders.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-15-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm with you on this one, but there have been complaints the whole year; very few of which I've heard outside of this forum. But I think the main thing is that we constantly rely on our D to win. Usually and I mean 99% of the time, there will come a day when the D just won't be able to step up and the offense will have to win the game and they haven't showed that they can score a lot.

We have a better D than the Pats last year, but they won big because of their offense. Give this D a great O-line and a healthy running back and we would be killing people.

Dude forget the great RB.....Just a solid OL that can actually pass block long enough for Ben to actually throw the ball longer then 20 yards and an OL that can consistently open up holes for the RBs we have would allow this team to blow out teams......Improve the entire OL and the whole offense will be better......I also think ditching BA would help....But lets face it Bruce Arians isn't going anywhere since the team has won back to back AFC North titles with him as OC.......But again a better OL would actually allow BA to do more things with his scheming and play calling.....I'm not saying he would be the next Bill Walsh but he wouldn't as bad as we think he is if he actually had an OL that is worth a damn.....

The OL has been better but its nowhere near an eltie or even good offensvie line....Its average at best.....

DIESELMAN
12-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Can you give me a Post Gazette or Trib article demanding his head? All Tomlin cares about is wins and he's getting those, so he certainly won't complain. ESPN talks about TO all day no matter what he does so they certainly could give a crap about us.

There are definately times when I disagree with him, but I think if the offense could execute the plays he calls it would be a whole hell of a lot better. How many drops did Santonio and Washington have today, Spaeth dropped a TD pass. O-line continues to suck (though not as much, I'll give them that). It is far from all on Arians's shoulders.
No your not going to see a article wanting BA fired. But you were referring to the only complaints you've seen were coming out of this forum, there are other forums out there, with Steeler fans, saying the same thing we're saying. I'm not saying its all BA's fault either but we are not winning because of our offense but in spite of our offense. As far as players dropping balls, well thats a NFL wide epidemic.

Koopa
12-15-2008, 01:19 AM

the post gazette and trib are shiatty *** news sources, ed bitchette is probably the worse writer i've ever read............ yeah we have nice record, but watch the entire games and you'd understand why a lot of us complain week in and week out......... way to much talent on this team to struggle for this record......... arians is a ****ing bum, we are horrible in teh redzone, we are way to predictable, and it's teh coaching staff, they don't know how to utilize what we got, i know ben isn't very bright, but the coaching staff should help make the game easier for him, they need to tell him to get teh ball to heath and that would open everything up cause team would finally have to worry about the short passes, but since we have dumbass coaches it will never happen

Koopa
12-15-2008, 01:20 AM
No your not going to see a article wanting BA fired. But you were referring to the only complaints you've seen were coming out of this forum, there are other forums out there, with Steeler fans, saying the same thing we're saying. I'm not saying its all BA's fault either but we are not winning because of our offense but in spite of our offense. As far as players dropping balls, well thats a NFL wide epidemic.

he probably goes to steelers fever where they only allow you to be positive or they ban you, here we allow ppl to speak there mind freely, which is why we are the best steelers site on the net

DIESELMAN
12-15-2008, 01:21 AM
he probably goes to steelers fever where they only allow you to be positive or they ban you, here we allow ppl to speak there mind freely, which is why we are the best steelers site on the net
:plus1: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 01:29 AM

This is the only forum I go to.

As for the other comments, I've watched every game this season (the entire games) with the exception of the Eagles game. If Arians is so "predictable" as is claimed then why are we still winning? I KNOW, I know the D is great, but if Arians sucks THAT bad every drive would be intercepted and run the other way. We would not have the second best record in the league. The passing isn't the only bad thing, Parker led the team with 47 rush yards today with a long of 10. That's not the Willie we've come to know over the years. We got Sweed because Ben wanted a tall reciever, specifically requested him in fact, and he's lucky to get in the game let alone have the ball thrown at him (who's fault that is I dunno, but if Ben can get him drafted I would think he could get him on the field if he wanted him). We had 12 drives today and 3 went for over 35 yards, that's horrible. But Arians wasn't out there dropping passes or throwing them poorly. We could be better, I absolutely understand that and there are guys out there who could do a better job, but I don't that that guy is anyone on here, including myself.

Koopa
12-15-2008, 01:38 AM
This is the only forum I go to.

As for the other comments, I've watched every game this season (the entire games) with the exception of the Eagles game. If Arians is so "predictable" as is claimed then why are we still winning? I KNOW, I know the D is great, but if Arians sucks THAT bad every drive would be intercepted and run the other way. We would not have the second best record in the league. The passing isn't the only bad thing, Parker led the team with 47 rush yards today with a long of 10. That's not the Willie we've come to know over the years. We got Sweed because Ben wanted a tall reciever, specifically requested him in fact, and he's lucky to get in the game let alone have the ball thrown at him (who's fault that is I dunno, but if Ben can get him drafted I would think he could get him on the field if he wanted him). We had 12 drives today and 3 went for over 35 yards, that's horrible. But Arians wasn't out there dropping passes or throwing them poorly. We could be better, I absolutely understand that and there are guys out there who could do a better job, but I don't that that guy is anyone on here, including myself.

it's the coaching staffs fault, willie is who i've been saying he is for the last couple of years, a bum, the coaching staff should bench him already, i know moore isn't great, but he's far more productive......... and sweed needs to be coached better, he had it easy in college, it's teh coaching staffs fault he isn't more productive, he'll be better next year................ and ben needs to be coached better, they are letting him live off his fast start to his career, but he needs a lot of developing still, he's so ****ing stupid, i know it might be from having his head bashed into a windshield, but still, there is no reason heath shouldn't be getting the ball more, or speath for that matter, those are huge *** targets, but they let ben go out there and try to make the highlight play instead of the smart play........... that's the coaching staffs fault......... arians has to much cowher in him, that's why tomlin needs to fire him, it's to obvious when it's gonna be a run and when it's gonna be a pass, we don't really know how to throw teams off cause arians sucks at game planning

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 01:48 AM
it's the coaching staffs fault, willie is who i've been saying he is for the last couple of years, a bum, the coaching staff should bench him already, i know moore isn't great, but he's far more productive......... and sweed needs to be coached better, he had it easy in college, it's teh coaching staffs fault he isn't more productive, he'll be better next year................ and ben needs to be coached better, they are letting him live off his fast start to his career, but he needs a lot of developing still, he's so ****ing stupid, i know it might be from having his head bashed into a windshield, but still, there is no reason heath shouldn't be getting the ball more, or speath for that matter, those are huge *** targets, but they let ben go out there and try to make the highlight play instead of the smart play........... that's the coaching staffs fault......... arians has to much cowher in him, that's why tomlin needs to fire him, it's to obvious when it's gonna be a run and when it's gonna be a pass, we don't really know how to throw teams off cause arians sucks at game planning

Willie Parker was the leading rusher in the league last season until he hurt his leg, how that makes him a bum I have no clue.

Ben just won 50 games faster than any other QB in history, how that makes him stupid I have no idea. I would love to see him call plays more often, like Bradshaw did.

Heath had three receptions today which is about his season average. Spaeth dropped a TD pass, so they did try to get it to him.

And once again, if he is that predictable then why do we gain any yardage?

We're 11-3, that's better than last year already. Didn't you hear Tomlin this week, "Everday when I come to work I walk past 5 Lombardi trophies, not 5 rushing titles."

Koopa
12-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Willie Parker was the leading rusher in the league last season until he hurt his leg, how that makes him a bum I have no clue.

omfg.......... he lead by like 5 yards and had over 20 carries more then teh dude behind him, that's not something to brag about at all

Ben just won 50 games faster than any other QB in history, how that makes him stupid I have no idea. I would love to see him call plays more often, like Bradshaw did.

watch him play, don't look at teh outcomes, he takes stupid sacks, he refuses to do a quick dump off to players, like today, he could have thrown it to heaht, it might not have got us any yards may have even lost a yard, but instead he takes the sack and fumble........he's ****ing stupid

Heath had three receptions today which is about his season average. Spaeth dropped a TD pass, so they did try to get it to him.

heath should have at least 9 balls a game thrown to him, and he'd catch at least 7..... i didn't see the drop, but i'm sure it was bens fault lol

And once again, if he is that predictable then why do we gain any yardage?

we don't really, that's why we punt a lot, or end up with only field goals, there's a reason townsend had to win teh cowboys game, there's a reason we sneaked out a win today, cause we can't consistently gain yards, willie ain't productive like he used to be cause it's obvious he's gonna carry the ball, ben throws 35 times and only ends up with less then 200 yards, that was a few games ago, but our offense is ****ing horrible cause like willie parker himself said, it's to predictable

We're 11-3, that's better than last year already. Didn't you hear Tomlin this week, "Everday when I come to work I walk past 5 Lombardi trophies, not 5 rushing titles."

the way he coaches, it's gonna stay 5 for a long time, he needs to get this offense better prepared if we ever want to win another lombardi trophy

blackngold29
12-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Well, it's 2am and I couldn't really care what anyone thinks of Arians so I will reply to what you said about Ben and outcomes: Outcomes are the ONLY thing that matters and the Steelers are 11-3 AFC North Champions. And they aren't done yet.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Miller could catch 10 balls and Koopa would scream Heath should have gotten 15.....lol Its just Koopa being Koopa.....Heath Miller is his boy and I understand....I agree Koopa that Heath should get more balls his way but come on dude you know damn Ben isn't going deep like he use to all the time and looking for the high light play as you claim.....The Steelers have used the short passing game since after the Giants loss.....Which isn't Ben's strength as a QB but he is improving.....I recall Matt Spaeth catching 6 balls a few weeks ago when Miller was out....So Ben is using his TE's and RB's more this year......Ben still makes the occasional dumb play but even some of the great QBs made dumb plays....cough cough Brett Favre......

As for Willie Parker well he really hasn't impressed since early in the year when he had back to back 100 yard games to start the season.....He can't stay healthy and really he seems to have lost some of his speed........So yea knock Parker all you want......As for the guy that brought last year about Willie....At this point last year doesn't even matter....Parker hasn't been to effective running the ball this year especially these last few weeks......

DIESELMAN
12-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Outcomes are the ONLY thing that matters and the Steelers are 11-3 AFC North Champions. And they aren't done yet.
:plus1: I'll agree with you there. The one great thing about SA, is that we all disagree on stuff, but we can usually have good debates without a lot of trash talking you see at other boards. We are all Steeler fans no matter what!!!! :cope::cope::cope: