popstaala
12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed . Whos better?

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Troy is. He has better hair.

jpele
12-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Well Troy is a strong safety and Reed is a free safety.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Well Troy is a strong safety and Reed is a free safety.so that has Troy covering more of the run, and Ed covering more of the pass, correct? so if thats the case, then its Troy for sure because he covers both at a higher level. It sure would have been nice to have Troy and Woodson at the same time. You know if you put together the greatest Secondary of all time by team, we stand alone. Polamalu, Lake, Woodson, and Blunt. I'll take that over anyone's top four.

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed . Whos better?

They are both really good at what they do. It depends what type of safety you want. Troy Polamalu is a better all around safety. Ed Reed is the better big play guy. If you asked me right now who I would take it would be Troy Polamalu. He can do it all in my opinion.

Polamalu has 47 tackles with 31 solo. He has 7 ints for 59 return yds and 16 passes defensed.

Reed has 24 tackles with 19 solo. He has 5 ints for 191 return yds and 2 TDs with 12 passes defensed. He also has a 22 yd fumble return for a TD.

They play different positions so its really hard to compare but id take a guy in Polamalu who is a better tackler and has more INTs then Reed.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 05:10 PM
They are both really good at what they do. It depends what type of safety you want. Troy Polamalu is a better all around safety. Ed Reed is the better big play guy. If you asked me right now who I would take it would be Troy Polamalu. He can do it all in my opinion.

Polamalu has 47 tackles with 31 solo. He has 7 ints for 59 return yds and 16 passes defensed.

Reed has 24 tackles with 19 solo. He has 5 ints for 191 return yds and 2 TDs with 12 passes defensed. He also has a 22 yd fumble return for a TD.

They play different positions so its really hard to compare but id take a guy in Polamalu who is a better tackler and has more INTs then Reed.Plus Troy has better heair. You cant leave that part out. The guy is flat out Sexy as hell....lol

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Plus Troy has better heair. You cant leave that part out. The guy is flat out Sexy as hell....lol

If I ever get married I hope the lucky lady has hair like Troy Polamalu. :yellowthumb:

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 05:20 PM
If I ever get married I hope the lucky lady has hair like Troy Polamalu. :yellowthumb:lol...you better hope thats where the similarities stop. Could you emagine getting closed lined for not taking out the trash?...lol

HUNT4SEVEN
12-12-2008, 05:22 PM
:tt02:Are u serious? Troy hands down when he's healthy:yellowthumb:

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 05:27 PM
lol...you better hope thats where the similarities stop. Could you emagine getting closed lined for not taking out the trash?...lol

lol yeah ill make sure her arms arent too big. :eek1:

yinzer
12-12-2008, 05:40 PM

They play different positions so its really hard to compare but id take a guy in Polamalu who is a better tackler and has more INTs then Reed.

ed reed is a "better big play guy"????? not this year. :nono:

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 05:54 PM
ed reed is a "better big play guy"????? not this year. :nono:

Well he is in my opinion. I guess that can be debated as well. Reed has 3 TDs on defense this year and one of them was a 107yd int return. He also has 7 defensive TDs for his career. He is also faster then Polamalu. That said Polamalu isnt that far behind him and like I said Troy is the better safety.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Reed cheats though. He steals offensive signals with some form of video tape...lol

yinzer
12-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Well he is in my opinion. I guess that can be debated as well. Reed has 3 TDs on defense this year and one of them was a 107yd int return. He also has 7 defensive TDs for his career. He is also faster then Polamalu. That said Polamalu isnt that far behind him and like I said Troy is the better safety.

Reed faster?????

Ed Reed 40 yard dash: 4.57 seconds
Troy Polamalu 40 yard dash: 4.33

gotta love wikipedia............

K Train
12-12-2008, 06:29 PM
reed is better, he is pretty sick in coverage...dont let one good year of troys blow up your head making you think hes always been good in coverage. Reed is like a runningback with the ball in his hands and has better all around ball skills than troy. As far as flexibility goes they are even in that i would say reed could go out and play corner as easily as troy could move up and play linebacker

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Reed faster?????

40 yd dash lol. :hilarious:

Im talking game speed. Reed is more of a big play guy and he has probably been the best over the course of his career. I guess we will have to disagree on this but if you think Polamalu is better at everything then Reed then you need to stop drinking the kool-aid. Polamalu is the best safety in football without a doubt but if you need a defensive TD id take Ed Reed. All-Around Polamalu is the best safety in football and thats why id take him over Reed though if I had to pick one.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Reed faster?????

gotta love wikipedia............I read somewhere about Troys speed, and it said he was one of the fastest players that no one knows about. Maybe because he's Samoan, and no one realy thinks of them as super fast. I'm telling ya, the guy is the greatest football player I have ever seen. Is closing speed is freakish...When he shuts the run down in the back field, its sudden....and you dont see that very much. Not like that..

K Train
12-12-2008, 06:35 PM

Im talking game speed. Reed is more of a big play guy and he has probably been the best over the course of his career. I guess we will have to disagree on this but if you think Polamalu is better at everything then Reed then you need to stop drinking the kool-aid. Polamalu is the best safety in football without a doubt but if you need a defensive TD id take Ed Reed. All-Around Polamalu is the best safety in football and thats why id take him over Reed though if I had to pick one.

ew, thats some kool aid

polamalu has a good year after 3 bum *** years and hes the unquestioned best? dont think so

yinzer
12-12-2008, 06:36 PM

game speed??? remind me again how they measure that. reed is good. no doubt. not better than troy. i don't even like cool-aid... too much sugar.

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 06:44 PM
ew, thats some kool aid

polamalu has a good year after 3 bum *** years and hes the unquestioned best? dont think so

I didnt realize when I typed it it sounded like that. I meant more imo Polamalu is the best right now. As I stated before though you couldnt go wrong with either one. Im not a Steeler fan so there is no bias between the 2 players for me. I love how each one plays the game.

game speed??? remind me again how they measure that. reed is good. no doubt. not better than troy. i don't even like cool-aid... too much sugar.

Dude its pretty simple. Im not gonna break it down for you. I agree with you Polamalu is better but if you think he is better than Reed when it comes to big plays then you need to watch more football. Reed can take any INT or Fumble to the house. Polamalu isnt that type of safety. Hes more of a All-Around type safety. Hes got speed but look at Reeds 107 yd INT return and tell me Polamalu could do that. If you say yes your a homer.

LatrobePA
12-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Ed is lucky, the damn ball falls in front of him 99% of the times when it's fumbled. INT's are his strong point, he can actually catch!

Give me Troy all day long vs him!!

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Ed is lucky, the damn ball falls in front of him 99% of the times when it's fumbled. INT's are his strong point, he can actually catch!

Give me Troy all day long vs him!!I think the same thing. Sure is nIce to have that kind of luck, over and over....lol I would love to have him playing along side Troy, but then......His luck would change because he would be in Pittsburgh. the Ref's would flag him for touching the ball when the Offense didn't mean to give it up. He wouldn't be the same guy under Steeler rules that are set by the NFL....IMO

K Train
12-12-2008, 07:05 PM
please dont go there claiming foul on the refs, thats a pathetic act of desperation....troy has straight line speed and takes good angles (for the most part) and reed has sneaky speed and elusivness you cant compare the two...troy is a power show while reed has the finesse

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
please dont go there claiming foul on the refs, thats a pathetic act of desperation....troy has straight line speed and takes good angles (for the most part) and reed has sneaky speed and elusivness you cant compare the two...troy is a power show while reed has the finesseAre you talking to me?

popstaala
12-12-2008, 07:09 PM
ed reed gets runover way to much.... Brandon Jacobs and Hines Ward makes him look like Rick james got smacked... Im rick james byotch.. lay him out!!!!!

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 07:10 PM
ed reed gets runover way to much.... Brandon Jacobs and Hines Ward makes him look like Rick james got smacked... Im rick james byotch.. lay him out!!!!!Lets hope that stays true this Sunday...lol

K Train
12-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Are you talking to me?

His luck would change because he would be in Pittsburgh. the Ref's would flag him for touching the ball when the Offense didn't mean to give it up. He wouldn't be the same guy under Steeler rules that are set by the NFL....IMO

sorry, but that is just some bullshit

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 07:14 PM
troy has straight line speed and takes good angles (for the most part) and reed has sneaky speed and elusivness you cant compare the two...troy is a power show while reed has the finesse

I agree with your post. It is hard to compare them. If you want a All-Around solid safety who can make plays you take Polamalu. If you want a true playmaker you take Reed. Id take Polamalu as of right now but if someone said hey Ed Reed is better I wouldnt disagree with them. There each the best at there position in the NFL right now. Reed is the best FS and Troy is the best SS.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2008, 07:16 PM

Well said..they are both really the best safeties in the league today and probably 2 of the best in recent history. Of course you can count Sean Taylor (RIP) in that as well if he were still around.

Ed Reed makes the big splash plays but week in and week out, play after play I'll take Troy over Reed anyday. He hits just as hard if not harder, he plays the run as well as he plays the pass and you have to account for him every play.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 07:19 PM
sorry, but that is just some bullshiat I think you misunderstood my joke. What I'm saying is the way the Flags get tossed at us, if Reed played for US he would get flagged for touching the ball when the other teams Offense doesn't want him too.

K Train
12-12-2008, 07:21 PM
your saying we get flagged to much right? i got your joke but i would hardly look at the steelers as victims of the nfls referees

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Well said..they are both really the best safeties in the league today and probably 2 of the best in recent history. Of course you can count Sean Taylor (RIP) in that as well if he were still around.

Ed Reed makes the big splash plays but week in and week out, play after play I'll take Troy over Reed anyday. He hits just as hard if not harder, he plays the run as well as he plays the pass and you have to account for him every play.

Thanks for the positive feedback. :cope:

Its hard to go wrong with either safety and yes Sean Taylor would also be in the discussion if he was still around. Its always great to have a top safety on your team. They can do so much to change the course of a ballgame. Polamalu and Reed are both beasts. Its fun watching them play. I hope Laron Landry can continue his progression and be at there level of play soon.

K Train
12-12-2008, 07:25 PM
landry and polamalu are almost identical types of athletes

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 07:26 PM
landry and polamalu are almost identical types of athletes

They are but watching Landry play he isnt at Polamalus or Reeds level yet imo. Hes not far behind though.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 07:27 PM
your saying we get flagged to much right? i got your joke but i would hardly look at the steelers as victims of the nfls refereesWell I do, and its getting pretty sad. I doubt I stand alone on that front. the Chargers game is a good example.

K Train
12-12-2008, 07:30 PM
bad calls happen and not just to the steelers...alot of awful game changing calls happened this year, broncos/chargers game for example...saying we have it the worst is retarded, ask the seahawks who had it bad...thats when you can get pissed

K Train
12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
They are but watching Landry play he isnt at Polamalus or Reeds level yet imo. Hes not far behind though.

yeah i meant physically they are very similar...it wont be long. him and taylor would have been something

popstaala
12-12-2008, 07:32 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc...

Its an ESPN Insider article...so many can't read it. I copied and pasted the Ed Reed part...It was written by KC Joyner.

"Overrated safeties
Ed Reed
Reed's metrics were terrible last year. His 14.9 combined YPA was the fifth-worst in the league among coverage safeties. He gave up the third-highest number of total yards. He had the fourth-most bomb passes thrown his way and the third-worst YPA at that depth level.

I know there are those who will say that the game broadcast tapes don't show everything that Reed does and that these numbers are anomalies, but let me throw this out in my defense. Carson Palmer said that Reed often doesn't play his coverage and thinks he knows what's coming. Palmer also commented that Reed can get frustrated when the offense is getting some things going and will try to come up and make a play and lose his responsibilities because of it. Palmer was able to exploit Reed's impatience in Week 13, when he connected on a flea-flicker pass to T.J. Houshmandzadeh for a 40-yard touchdown.

The metrics show that Palmer isn't the only quarterback who knows Reed's coverage weaknesses. That is why I believe Reed is the most overrated safety in the league."

K Train
12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
both of them are extremely overrated...you can get into the math all you want but they are both game changers...its not a glorious position.

oh and greattttt source with carson palmer, awesome....thats about as credible as it gets...he beat reed on a FLEA FLICKER lol

RedskinsSince96
12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
yeah i meant physically they are very similar...it wont be long. him and taylor would have been something

Agreed dude. They would of been lights out for years. With Landry moving to FS and Horton playing really well at SS at least we dont have a hole like we did in the offseason. Its still hard though watching Skins games without Sean Taylor the guy was a true playmaker for us. You can never replace his type of skills.

popstaala
12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
both of them are extremely overrated...you can get into the math all you want but they are both game changers...its not a glorious position.

oh and greattttt source with carson palmer, awesome....thats about as credible as it gets...he beat reed on a FLEA FLICKER lol

Look here smartass... i copied and paste that from an article... im also trying to give Ed reed( Hines Wards bitch) some credit with the Flea Flicker... please dont listen to the media about what they say about Ed Reed.... have you watched the Indianapolis Colts vs Ravens game early this season.... Ed Reed got burned twice by Marvin Harrison... now com'on who would let an old man run all over the field like that... or did you see Hines Ward put him on his ***... or did you see Brandon Jacob run him over like he wasnt there... or Dallas Clark layed him out... Now believe me when im sayin hes OVERRATED....

K Train
12-12-2008, 10:34 PM
he is overatted but dont make the mistake of thinking troy is perfect, troy has been burned plenty, troy has whiffed more than his fair share of tackles...troy got burned alot also though, just not directly, it was from him not being in position to help a corner out. throughout his career troy has been caught out of position more than any player ive ever seen...hes definietly gotten smarter this year but ed reeds overratedness and his overratedness go hand in hand

TrojanHorse
12-13-2008, 03:52 PM
My choice is Troy...for obvious reasons.

BlitzburghNation
12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Could give a rats :moon: who suppose to be better,,,,,,My :club: is bigger than yours :haha:
One thing is for sure Polamalu is back to his old-self and having an awesome MVP type year and I'm glad he's an Old School Type STEELER :towelwave:

#43 Troy Polamalu----A.K.A. 'taz' A.K.A. Quiet Storm A.K.A. Havoc to opposing teams :flex:

RedskinsSince96
12-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Could give a rats :moon: who suppose to be better,,,,,,My :club: is bigger than yours :haha:
One thing is for sure Polamalu is back to his old-self and having an awesome MVP type year and I'm glad he's an Old School Type STEELER :towelwave:

#43 Troy Polamalu----A.K.A. 'taz' A.K.A. Quiet Storm A.K.A. Havoc to opposing teams :flex:

Troy is a old school type player and that is what makes him so fun to watch. :cope:

popstaala
12-14-2008, 12:00 AM
he is overatted but dont make the mistake of thinking troy is perfect, troy has been burned plenty, troy has whiffed more than his fair share of tackles...troy got burned alot also though, just not directly, it was from him not being in position to help a corner out. throughout his career troy has been caught out of position more than any player ive ever seen...hes definietly gotten smarter this year but ed reeds overratedness and his overratedness go hand in hand

Troy is way better than ed reed...

Troy makes sure all your raven kids dont grow.... die slow muther******:nahnah:

DanRooney
12-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Reed faster?????

Oh man no doubt Polamalu is faster. Whoever said Reed was faster is on crack.

MrCoachman
09-02-2013, 11:20 PM
I live in TN and I grew up in Maryland. Polamalu is an excellent safety. So is Reed. However I've seen some misinformation on here. First off Troy ran a 4.33 at his pro day at USC, not at the combine. At the combine in 03 he ran a 4.51 as his best. In 02 Reed ran almost identical at 4.45 and 4.50. Both of these guys are hall of game safeties. However the difference between them goes back years. Ed reed is now a free safety. But he was a strong safety his first 4 years and in those 4 years he got 22 interceptions with 680 int return yards. In 06 he switched to free safety. In Troys first 4 years he had 8 picks for 151 in return yards. Overall: Reed has 61 picks to Troys 30. reed has 1541 return yds vs Troys 361. Troy has more com ined tackles but less solo tackles. Troy is no doubt the best strong safety in the league. Reed is still the best free safety. If I had to pick an All-Pro team I would take them both along with Ronnie Lott. All Pittsburgh fans are gonna think Polamalu is better. All Baltimore fans will think Reed is better. The difference is what do the experts say? Most of the experts(along with the numbers) will side with Reed. He has twice as many pick with only 1 more year played. Trots slight lead in tackles doesn't outweigh the fact that Reed is far superior at getting the picks. Again. I think they are both at the top. There is nothing to dislike about either player and any team in the league wod be lucky to have either guy.. FYI all these numbers came from NFL.com. Not Wikipedia..

teeceemadison
09-03-2013, 09:28 AM
disagree with the so-called experts...reed has more pics in those years cause all he does he cherry pick deep in a pass happy league, troy is all over the place, up at the line, where folks actually game plan on where he will be.

no one cares about ed reed, playing 30 yards off the ball hoping for a pick of a tipped pass or over throw...

hell, i cant remember the last time i ever saw ed reed actually make a real tackle that meant something....

troy is everywhere, and sure, gets beat too, like any defensive player, but he makes more game changing plays than reed ever has....

questforSB7
09-03-2013, 10:05 AM
cI love Troy. But lets keep it real here. Troy is not a good tackler. He disappears in alot of games, and he has less then average hands. Ed Reed is NOT a one trick pony people. He is a great coverage Safety yes. But he also is a great tackler in the run game. I can't believe steeler fans aren't saying that. Ed Reed is a Hall of Fame LOCK. And he might very well be the difference for Houston making the Super Bowl this season. Houston was average in Interceptions last season. And their Inability to get ONE against New England was the reason why they lost. But the Patriots have always struggled on offense against Baltimore over the past 7 years and on. Why do you think that was ? That was because alot of what the Patriots like to do on offense is over the middle of the field. And over the middle of the field is where Reed is so dangerous. C'mon guys you know this.

Now, Troy is a great safety. As stated, Troy does move all over the place, and alot of times he is used as a pass rusher at the QB, as where Reed was not. But lets not worry who will have the higher place in History. Both are very very great players. And both will be in the Hall of fame.

ChucktownSteeler
09-03-2013, 12:17 PM
He disappears in alot of games, and he has less then average hands. Ed Reed is NOT a one trick pony people.

http://youtu.be/bvTC8-8rcrM

http://youtu.be/doXNjFmQnqI

http://youtu.be/2IWHTxoEEfQ

http://youtu.be/lKg-9g9-oO8

Welcome back, Crash!

Big T
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Welcome back, Crash!

Comes off more as icecreamglove in my opinion

ChucktownSteeler
09-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Comes off more as icecreamglove in my opinion

Either way, I predict a short stay.

Real Deal Steel
09-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Either way, I predict a short stay.

ditto.

MrCoachman
09-03-2013, 11:54 PM
teeceemadison you obviously didn't read my earlier post..in those first 4 years Polamalu played 61 games to Reeds 57 and Troy had "2" more unassisted tackles...2...Reed was a strong safety then and made just as many tackles but had 3 times as many interceptions...I'ts those first 4 years that made the Ravens move him to free safety. They realized he just had a nose for the ball... As for your comment about a recent tackle that meant anything... I believe he was the 2nd leading tackler for the Ravens in the SB last year...he also had an interception...just because you don't remember any doesn't mean they didn't happen...as I said earlier. They are both great and will both be in the Hall of Fame

Speeed
09-04-2013, 07:54 AM
My layman's opinion is that Reed has a better "sense" for the play and the ball. He does not take the risks Troy makes while reading the offense. His initial read seems to be more accurate. Troy takes risks, but he has enough speed and sense to recover, and as a result makes more dynamic plays.

Troy is much more athletic. Reed seems to be in the right spot at the the right time, dare I say even a little lucky in that regard (but you do make your own luck). One thing Troy has over Reed is his amazing ability to time the count and get into the backfield in spectacular fashion.

I would rate them as equal. I will say that Troy is much more fun to watch, and he does not look like he wants to rip your head off.

Stone
09-05-2013, 03:21 PM
You can answer for yourself:
1. Who disrupts the run better?......TP
2. Who disrupts the quarterback's play calling more?.......TP
3. Who returns more interceptions for TD's.....ER
4. Who factors into more plays?......TP
5. Who had more game changing plays?..........Tie
6. Who made more tackles?....TP

coldrolled
09-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Ryan Clark said this about RB Johnson and the Titans game...

“We have to be physical with him early and try to get him from wanting to run against us.”

I hope Shamarko is hanging with Ryan a lot.

Real Deal Steel
09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
If Shamarko gets a chance to hit Johnson, Johnson won't want the ball anymore in that game.

NeilPatrickBanana
09-06-2013, 02:27 PM
You can answer for yourself:
1. Who disrupts the run better?......TP
2. Who disrupts the quarterback's play calling more?.......TP
3. Who returns more interceptions for TD's.....ER
4. Who factors into more plays?......TP
5. Who had more game changing plays?..........Tie
6. Who made more tackles?....TP

You forgot who gets beaten for TDs more?.... TP

TarlsQtr
09-06-2013, 03:14 PM
If Shamarko gets a chance to hit Johnson, Johnson won't want the ball anymore in that game.

Yeah, overstate things much?

I watched nearly every game of Shamarko in his years at SU. He hits. He hits HARD. Still, opposing RBs still found a way to run big against SU instead of curling up into the fetal position.

I doubt that CJ2K is having nightmares about a backup safety who has never taken an NFL snap.

SteelCityVoice
09-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Both are Hall of Famers and you can't go wrong with either one. Having said that I actually would think about taking Ed Reed only because he plays more games by avoiding injuries. He also tends to make bigger splash plays for turnovers. That's somethign this current Steelers team needs to do a lot more of.

greg1964
09-09-2013, 09:27 AM
WHO cares: both will be on the HOF five years after they retire: but MOST will say Reed is/was better because the are more talking heads on the networks that are from the "U". BUT is the truth be told, you couldn't go wrong with either one.