PDA

View Full Version : Injury report and game notes for Steelers/Ravens

JensK
12-12-2008, 04:09 AM
McFadden to start vs. Ravens

Cornerback Bryant McFadden, who returned but did not start against Dallas after missing six games with a broken arm, will replace William Gay in the starting lineup against the Baltimore Ravens. Gay started the past four games and played very well, allowing the Steelers to maintain their ranking as the No. 1 pass defense in then league.

"He was playing great football before he was injured," Tomlin said. "We acknowledged he was missing some time, but he played at a high level for us, which is what we expected. So we're moving on, and he's back in the lineup."

Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison did not practice yesterday because he was given the day off. Also, Tomlin said it will be determined today if defensive end Brett Keisel (knee), who has missed the past two games, and fullback Carey Davis (calf) will play against the Ravens.

Marvel Smith update

Offensive left tackle Marvel Smith, who has missed the past eight games with a back injury, has not resumed practicing and will not play against the Ravens.

But, speaking for the first time in nearly two months, Smith said yesterday he is feeling better and is waiting for the team doctors and coaches to clear the way for him to play.

"I'm doing everything I can every day to get better," Smith said. "That's all I can do. "

Smith said he is not allowed to discuss the exact nature of his injury but said it is unrelated to the back surgery he had last year that caused him to miss the final three games of the season, including playoffs.

"It's definitely frustrating, being injured in any fashion, not being able to help team out, especially when you have a good team," Smith said. "You sit back and watch how well they're doing, you wish you can get out with the team."

One of the reasons the team has not placed Smith on injured reserve is because they are holding out hope he can return this season, especially because it appears the team will get into the postseason.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/08347/934666-66.stm

Sounds really promising after all :)

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Getting keisel back would be a big lift for the defense, they are still playing great without him but having him back and being able to fully rotate the DL all during the game is a big key.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Yea we need Kiesel, an we need to keep the D-Line rotating alot this game:yesnod:, but i believe with or with out him we smash the Rats this game:tt02::clap::grin1:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-12-2008, 02:47 PM
right now we're about as healthy as we're going to get for the rest of the year I would think. As long as Keisel comes back we'll be in good shape for this stretch run. If we can get the bye that will go a long way to really getting this team fresh for the postseason.

Having such a deep DB field is so key heading into this time of year. Now that McFadden is back and playing well after his injury we've got 4 solid corners who can play.

Stairwayto7
12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
William Gay deserves props! This guy came up big when McFadden was out!

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 03:55 PM
William Gay deserves props! This guy came up big when McFadden was out!
i agree. you couldn;t tell the difference I thought.

yinzer
12-12-2008, 06:25 PM
IMO, it doesn't matter who's in there. bmac is a stud and gay filled in quite nicely. glad bmac is healthy again. :tt02: :cope:

steelerfan11
12-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Kiesel is out for the Ravens game...didn't practice again today.

Davis is questionable.

jpele
12-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Head Coach Mike Tomlin
• Looks to become the first coach in team history to win division titles in his first two seasons as head coach.
• Looks to break the team’s record for highest winning percentage for a head coach in his first two seasons. Tomlin is currently 20-9
(.690) and former coach Bill Cowher was 20-12 (.625) in his first two seasons, which was the best mark in team history.

QB Ben Roethlisberger
• Needs one win to become the first NFL quarterback to win 50 games in his first five seasons.
• Needs 384 passing yards to become the first Steelers’ quarterback with three straight 3,000-yard seasons. QB Terry Bradshaw had two consecutive such seasons in 1979-80.
• Needs two touchdown passes to become just the second quarterback in team history to throw 100 career touchdown passes (Terry Bradshaw - 212). Roethlisberger currently has 98 career touchdown passes.
• Needs one 300-yard passing game to move into sole possession of first place on the team’s all-time list ahead of Tommy Maddox. Roethlisberger currently has six.

WR Hines Ward
• Needs 76 yards from scrimmage to reach 10,000 total yards for his career. He currently has 9,924 total yards from scrimmage (9,494 receiving, 430 rushing).
• Needs 21 receptions for 800 in his career.

RB Willie Parker
• Needs one rushing touchdown to move into sole possession of eighth place for rushing touchdowns on the team’s all-time list with Rocky Bleier. Parker currently has 23 rushing touchdowns.

K Jeff Reed
• Needs 15 points to surpass Roy Gerela for second place on the team’s all-time scoring list. He currently has 717 career points while Gerela finished with 731 career points.

LB James Harrison
• Needs a half-sack to break the team’s single-season sacks record he shares with Mike Merriweather. Harrison currently has 15 sacks in 2008 while Merriweather finished with 15 in 1984.

JensK
12-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Actually, quiet a few of those could happen tomorrow!

All Mike Tomlins could happen

The first on of Big Bens certainly could, and maybe the last (although i doub it)

Hines, Parkers and Harrison is very possible aswell.

steelers4life66
12-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't be great if all them records where broke tomorrow! You'd see me the front yard:banana2:. Thanks for the read.:yellowthumb:

JensK
12-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't be great if all them records where broke tomorrow! You'd see me the front yard:banana2:. Thanks for the read.:yellowthumb:

Thats for sure! :D i don't see Big Ben having 384 passing yards though >.>

steelers4life66
12-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Ya gotta remember it's Christmas, the time of miracles.:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-13-2008, 02:53 PM

I would be shocked if Ben threw for 384 passing yards but you never know....lol

AZ_Steeler
12-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Ben could get that mark tomorrow... the Steelers are better offensively on the road!

steelers4life66
12-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Ben could get that mark tomorrow... the Steelers are better offensively on the road!
5 and 1 on the road.:yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Who cares if Davis is out, he's ineffective anyways and we can use McHugh at FB. Keisel being out sucks but if he was close to coming back this week hopefully he'll be ready for next weekend.

There will be a ton of bumps and bruises after this game and if it follows suit there will be players leaving on both sides during the game from all the hitting.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2008, 12:24 AM
2/3 of those records could very much happen tomorrow if things go our way. All of them are pretty much a lock to atleast happen by the end of the year if not during the playoffs with the exception of maybe Ben's 300 yd passing game ( personally I don't care if he throws for 300 yds or not as long as we win.

BlitzburghNation
12-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Bet that sack record falls for sure and sure hope Tomlin gets his record :crossfingers:

DIESELMAN
12-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Bet that sack record falls for sure and sure hope Tomlin gets his record :crossfingers:
With the quickness. 1st Q, Silverback breaks the record, by the end of the game, shatters it........:cope:

JensK
12-14-2008, 06:02 AM
STEELERS at RAVENS
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2008
KICKOFF -- 4:15 P.M.

INJURY REPORT

STEELERSStatus Report
Out
Friday DE Brett Keisel (knee), T Marvel Smith (back)

Questionable
Friday RB Carey Davis (calf)

Probable
Friday LB James Harrison (knee), S Troy Polamalu (calf)
Practice Report
Did Not Participate In Practice
Wednesday RB Carey Davis (calf), DE Brett Keisel (knee), RB Willie Parker (not injury related), S Troy Polamalu (calf), DE Aaron Smith (not injury related), T Marvel Smith (back), CB Deshea Townsend (not injury related), WR Hines Ward (not injury related)
Thursday RB Carey Davis (calf), LB James Harrison (knee), DE Brett Keisel (knee), T Marvel Smith (back)
Friday DE Brett Keisel (knee), T Marvel Smith (back)

Full Participation in Practice
Thursday S Troy Polamalu (calf)
Friday RB Carey Davis (calf), LB James Harrison (knee), S Troy Polamalu (calf)

RAVENS

Status Report
Doubtful
Friday WR Marcus Maxwell (hip), RB Ray Rice (calf)

Probable
Friday WR Mark Clayton (knee), WR Yamon Figurs (knee), T Jared Gaither (shoulder), G David Hale (ankle), S Jim Leonhard (illness), WR Derrick Mason (shoulder), S Ed Reed (thigh), CB Samari Rolle (thigh), K Matt Stover (ankle)
Practice Report
Out (Definitely Will Not Play)
Thursday WR Marcus Maxwell (hip)

Did Not Participate In Practice
Wednesday WR Mark Clayton (knee), WR Yamon Figurs (knee), S Jim Leonhard (illness), WR Derrick Mason (shoulder), RB Willis McGahee (not injury related), S Ed Reed (thigh), RB Ray Rice (calf), K Matt Stover (ankle)
Thursday T Jared Gaither (shoulder), WR Derrick Mason (shoulder), RB Ray Rice (calf), K Matt Stover (ankle)
Friday WR Marcus Maxwell (hip), RB Ray Rice (calf)

Limited Participation in Practice
Wednesday T Jared Gaither (shoulder), G David Hale (ankle)
Thursday WR Mark Clayton (knee), WR Yamon Figurs (knee), G David Hale (ankle), S Ed Reed (thigh), CB Samari Rolle (thigh)
Friday T Jared Gaither (shoulder), S Jim Leonhard (illness), WR Derrick Mason (shoulder), K Matt Stover (ankle)

Full Participation in Practice
Thursday S Jim Leonhard (illness)
Friday WR Mark Clayton (knee), WR Yamon Figurs (knee), G David Hale (ankle), S Ed Reed (thigh), CB Samari Rolle (thigh)

http://news.steelers.com/article/98867/

LarryNJ
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm actually surprised that Ben will get to 3000 yards this season.

blackngold29
12-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Look at all these records within reach today and the next two weeks (From Official site (http://news.steelers.com/article/100847/)):

Head Coach Mike Tomlin
• Looks to become the first coach in team history to win division titles in his first two seasons as head coach.
• Looks to break the team’s record for highest winning percentage for a head coach in his first two seasons. Tomlin is currently 20-9
(.690) and former coach Bill Cowher was 20-12 (.625) in his first two seasons, which was the best mark in team history.

QB Ben Roethlisberger
• Needs one win to become the first NFL quarterback to win 50 games in his first five seasons.
• Needs 384 passing yards to become the first Steelers’ quarterback with three straight 3,000-yard seasons. QB Terry Bradshaw had two consecutive such seasons in 1979-80.
• Needs two touchdown passes to become just the second quarterback in team history to throw 100 career touchdown passes (Terry Bradshaw - 212). Roethlisberger currently has 98 career touchdown passes.
• Needs one 300-yard passing game to move into sole possession of first place on the team’s all-time list ahead of Tommy Maddox. Roethlisberger currently has six.

WR Hines Ward
• Needs 76 yards from scrimmage to reach 10,000 total yards for his career. He currently has 9,924 total yards from scrimmage (9,494 receiving, 430 rushing).
• Needs 21 receptions for 800 in his career.

RB Willie Parker
• Needs one rushing touchdown to move into sole possession of eighth place for rushing touchdowns on the team’s all-time list with Rocky Bleier. Parker currently has 23 rushing touchdowns.

K Jeff Reed
• Needs 15 points to surpass Roy Gerela for second place on the team’s all-time scoring list. He currently has 717 career points while Gerela finished with 731 career points.

LB James Harrison
• Needs a half-sack to break the team’s single-season sacks record he shares with Mike Merriweather. Harrison currently has 15 sacks in 2008 while Merriweather finished with 15 in 1984.

--- Added 12/14/2008 at 10:35 AM ---

Oops, just saw the other thread. Sorry!

AZ_Steeler
12-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Both quarterbacks this week were asked how it helps them to play tough defenses by going against their own tough defenses in practice. Both quarterbacks answered respectfully to the questions. These questions often come up in the Steelers' locker room.

What Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger should have said is this:

"Have you ever been to an NFL practice? Do you know that we do not practice against our first-team defense, and that the guys we go against are mostly practice-squad players and scrubbinies? And even they do not tackle, they do not bump receivers, they do not hit like Ryan Clark. You could put stick men out there, and we still could practice against them.

"Even in training camp, when we sometimes do practice first team vs. first team, there is no tackling and very little contact -- remember when Hines Ward became so upset with Anthony Smith for hitting Willie Reid in a training-camp practice? It's against the rules, and, when it happens, it becomes a big deal."

So, no, neither Flacco nor Roethlisberger benefits one iota for practicing against two of the NFL's best and most-rugged defenses because neither practices against them, nor has either ever been sacked in practice. It's also safe to say their own teammates are not trash-talking during practice, either.
I doubt there isn't any trash talking going on at practice :nahnah:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't know why the media always talks about QB's having an advantage practicing against their own defense. That's been a myth for I don't know how long and it drives me nuts every time I hear it!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the update JensK. By the end of this game that injury report is liable to be double as long so we need to be the last ones standing!

LarryNJ
12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't know why the media always talks about QB's having an advantage practicing against their own defense. That's been a myth for I don't know how long and it drives me nuts every time I hear it!

The problem is there is so much coverage in todays games that the media has to create stories just to write or talk about something. All the sooo called experts really know no more than the average fan on SA, and many times less.

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-14-2008, 03:38 PM
STEELERS at RAVENS
SUNDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2008
KICKOFF -- 4:15 P.M.

INACTIVES

STEELERS

Dennis Dixon -- 3rd QB
Fernando Bryant
Bruce Davis
Tony Hills
Scott Paxson