PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell did the defense go !!??

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 05:48 PM
What in the hell happened, they were all over the field in the first half. They gave up TD's after the offense turned the ball over but they still played well in the first half for the most part. The 2nd half we just self destructed on defense. We made Vick look like a HOF QB. When push came to shove our secondary blew it again !!! Troy and Ryan Clark were the only ones playing today !

Yeah we did OK on stopping the run, but it doesnt matter when you make a guy who never throws the damn ball look like that !!!

AZ_Steeler
10-22-2006, 06:04 PM
When you look at the stats for stopping the run... the Steelers gave up 173 yards! We as a team only had 55, so I don't know how they stopped the run unless we were watching differnet games ;)

The defense didn't show up to play today, they over pursued, blew their assignments... the list goes on!

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Sorry I meant ok at stopping the run in the first half. Im just so pissed off right now its just not even funny !

You're right, we missed tackles, we tried to overpersue Vick instead of boxing him in. We let crumpler have a damn 3 TD game ! There's no excuse for sloppy defensive play!

SteelCityMan786
10-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Sorry I meant ok at stopping the run in the first half. Im just so pissed off right now its just not even funny !

You're right, we missed tackles, we tried to overpersue Vick instead of boxing him in. We let crumpler have a damn 3 TD game ! There's no excuse for sloppy defensive play!

I hear that.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 06:35 PM
The bottom line our defense is overrated. I know I might get blasted for this. But if this defense was truely a great defense. Then the defense would step up and make some plays even with the offense turning the ball over.

Look at the Bears/Cards game. The Cards offense tore up the Bears defense the whole game and the Bears offense turned the ball over the whole game. But the Bears defense hung in there and made plays to bring the Bears back.

I'm totally pissed at the defense. But the special teams were bad also. That keeps happening every week. The Steelers havn't played consistent at all this year. The Steelers better get their acts together quick. They can not afford to lose anymore games.

Steelersfan
10-22-2006, 06:37 PM
The defense not showing up in the second half of games is starting to become a trend. They are down right terrible in the second half this year.

BlacknGold Bleeder
10-22-2006, 06:45 PM
The defense is taking alot of heat here, they do seem to be more tenative in the second half of the last couple games. We are at our best playing full throttle !! Honestly we win this game if we don't put the ball on the ground, 3 fumbles = 21 pts. Take them away 38 - 20. Bottom line we have to quit turning the ball over and giving other team extra chances !!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 06:49 PM
The defense is taking alot of heat here, they do seem to be more tenative in the second half of the last couple games. We are at our best playing full throttle !! Honestly we win this game if we don't put the ball on the ground, 3 fumbles = 21 pts. Take them away 38 - 20. Bottom line we have to quit turning the ball over and giving other team extra chances !!

I agree with that. But still the Bears offense turned the ball over 6 times against the Cards and the Bears defense still made plays to bring the Bears back. I just think our defense isn't as great as everyone seems they are. The only play they made all day was Troy's pick. I know Farrior had a pick but that was off a dropped pass. I'm sorry but they couldn't cover Crumpler at all today. I know he is good but he isn't that good.

AZ_Steeler
10-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Somebody needs to get pissed in the locker room and set every straight!!! Others might get pissed at first, but they will understand in the long run. Right now I just don't think there is a leader in the locker room that is firing everyone else up!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Somebody needs to get pissed in the locker room and set every straight!!! Others might get pissed at first, but they will understand in the long run. Right now I just don't think there is a leader in the locker room that is firing everyone else up!

Well thats clear my Steeler bro that the Steelers miss Jerome's leadership bigtime. I don't think anybody really has stepped up and took over that role.

Do you think Bill Cowher is coaching like a lameduck coach? I don't know but this sloppy play by the team isn't a typical Bill Cowher coached team. I think he has retirement on his mind after this year and his heart might not be in coaching 100 perecent anymore. Alot of coaches have got burned out from coaching. Which is understandable with all the pressure that comes from coaching in the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Our defense just doesnt have that killer instinct in the 2nd half anymore. We're missing tackles, dropping interceptions, taking bad angles on the ball carrier and not staying in our gaps with the front 7. Our defense is designed to play with the lead or play in a close game and dictate to the opposing offense what we want them to do, and to this point they've only done that twice this year. Week 1 and last week. Otherwise they are just not flying to the ball and taking over games like we're used to seeing.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Our defense just doesnt have that killer instinct in the 2nd half anymore. We're missing tackles, dropping interceptions, taking bad angles on the ball carrier and not staying in our gaps with the front 7. Our defense is designed to play with the lead or play in a close game and dictate to the opposing offense what we want them to do, and to this point they've only done that twice this year. Week 1 and last week. Otherwise they are just not flying to the ball and taking over games like we're used to seeing.

The real fustrating part is also this basically the same group from last year. The only two players missing from last year squad is Chris Hope and Kemo. So there is no excuse. We havn't had Joey Porter or James Harrison the past two weeks. But today the Falcons had key guys missing on their Oline. The defense can still rebound though. But time is running out.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Yes indeed this is basically the same people, doing the same scheme year after year and we do it better than anyone else. Nobody runs the 34 zone blitz defense like we do...but this year whatever the reason we just dont put teams away and our defense cannot consistently get off the field. 1 drive we stuff them and the next we allow a 70 or 80 yd drive. We stuff them on 1st and 2nd down and then allow a huge play on 3rd down.

Our defense just isnt finishing off teams, now granted they are put in a bad spot by the offense and the turnovers so that doesnt help any, but still when push comes to shove we are getting shoved more than doing the pushing and it sucks !

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Top Gun why did Mike Vick look like Steve Young today? Plus why did Crumpler look like Kellen Winslow SR. today? The Steelers defense didn't have an answer for those two all-day today. Did the Steelers watch film of the Saints and Giants? Those two teams totally shut down Vick and the Falcons offense.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 10:36 PM
The problem is, we allowed Vick to get alitttle confidence throwing the ball and we weren't ready to handle that. We spent all our time worrying about the run and once they started passing we were screwed because that opened up the run again that we had shut down in the first half.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-22-2006, 10:43 PM
The problem is, we allowed Vick to get alitttle confidence throwing the ball and we weren't ready to handle that. We spent all our time worrying about the run and once they started passing we were screwed because that opened up the run again that we had shut down in the first half.

That is so true. I also thought the Steelers pass rush was terrible. I don't think LeBeau had one of his better called games. I didn't see the Steelers run their cross blitz with the MLB's much today. Thats one of their favorite blitzes.

I just can't believe our QB's combined for over 430 yards passing with 5 TD's and no INT's and we lose the game.:cursin:

The offense puts up 38 points and the Steelers lose.:cursin:

It was a very strange game.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Whenever we pass for all those yards we usually lose. It's not our style of football to have to throw so much because it means we are playing out of our element and defense isnt doing it's job and usually means the offense has to play catch up or play in a shoot out because we're overcoming turnovers.

Pass rush? what pass rush! We didn't even have one today if you ask me. We let Vick loose in the 2nd half to run more and we didnt get consistent pressure all day. We're not used to seeing a Steeler team not get to the QB consistently.

SteelersWoman
10-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Whenever we pass for all those yards we usually lose.

I agree TG, but we usually lose those games because of picks and puttin the ball on the ground. The more times the ball is put up, (or down) the more chances the other team can grab it.

Can't blame today's loss on how many times the ball was launched. No picks at all--from either of our QB's.

SteelersWoman
10-23-2006, 01:47 AM
^^^
But I understand what you're sayin TG, and certainly do agree in principle. I'm just darn proud of BOTH our QB's today--couldn't have asked much better of either one :clap:

Our D OTOH...:scratch: They're "capable" of being the best in the league--I just get the feelin that they're out to lunch. Other than Troy (who stood out the most today) there wasn't a WHOLE lot to speak of...

SteelersWoman
10-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Do you think Bill Cowher is coaching like a lameduck coach? I don't know but this sloppy play by the team isn't a typical Bill Cowher coached team. I think he has retirement on his mind after this year and his heart might not be in coaching 100 perecent anymore.

Either in this forum or another one, I was talking about the same exact thing back in like week 2 or 3 B@G (B@G). I don't think many at the time agreed with me. I said it then, I'll say it now--As goes the coach, so goes the team.

Bill is NOT the same coach he was last year, and he can't even put it on for the cameras. That fire to win the SB is quenched, and it's affected how he coaches, and it's trickled down to the players. I just know there's not nearly enough of "The Chin".

I really really like Bill, but if he didn't wanna coach this year, he should've done what the Bus did, and not drag us through a year of humiliation.

The embarrassment of falling rises or lessens with how far you have to fall. Falling from SB world champions to this is...heartbreaking. It would've been easier if we'd not really done anything last year, because we'd have had nothing to back up with this year's play.

I think it's worse too, because I know that the "level" of talent is there--they're just not tappin into it--at least not consistently enough.

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that Bill Cowher is different this year. I with you I wish Cowher would have just announced his retirement when Jerome did. I don't blame Bill Cowher either and thank him for all that he has done. But coaching 14 years in the NFL takes it toll on a person and I do think Cowher might be ready for a break.

Prosdo
10-23-2006, 02:26 AM
I think Bill is an amazing coach, but the fire seems to be gone. The defense needs motivated. They have all the talent to be the best, but they just aren't getting it done.

augustashark
10-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Top Gun why did Mike Vick look like Steve Young today? Plus why did Crumpler look like Kellen Winslow SR. today? The Steelers defense didn't have an answer for those two all-day today. Did the Steelers watch film of the Saints and Giants? Those two teams totally shut down Vick and the Falcons offense.

Those two teams play a 4-3 and as you know we play a 3-4. The Giants have a very good D line and they get pressure without blitzing. Thats the key to beating Vick and the Falcons. Almost forgot.......Don't turn the ball over 3 times inside your own 30 also!

Black@Gold Forever32
10-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Those two teams play a 4-3 and as you know we play a 3-4. The Giants have a very good D line and they get pressure without blitzing. Thats the key to beating Vick and the Falcons. Almost forgot.......Don't turn the ball over 3 times inside your own 30 also!

I know the Giants and Saints run a 4-3. But still the Steelers could have at least taken something from what both those teams did in stopping Vick. Defense played like crap. The Bears offense turned the ball over 6 times against the Cards and the Bears defense still made plays to bring the Bears back in that game. If the Steelers defense is a great defense that we all like to believe they are. Then they could have made some plays to bail out the offense and special teams for turning the ball over today.

augustashark
10-23-2006, 02:47 AM
I know the Giants and Saints run a 4-3. But still the Steelers could have at least taken something from what both those teams did in stopping Vick. Defense played like crap. The Bears offense turned the ball over 6 times against the Cards and the Bears defense still made plays to bring the Bears back in that game. If the Steelers defense is a great defense that we all like to believe they are. Then they could have made some plays to bail out the offense and special teams for turning the ball over today.

I agree 32, but the Falcons are alittle better than the Cards. I also agree that are D can not be called great at this time. With the Giants, that front four is one of the best in the league. Dick needs to coach and gameplan better then what he's been doing, I don't lay all the blame on Cowher. I know it's a cop out, but we do not match up all that great with the Falcons. Another thing I've have to remind myself of all the time is that those guys get paid also and they are pros.

The D should have been able to stop them for a FG at least once after the 3 turnovers. Another thing is that those final two drives the one at the end of reg and the one in OT should have been stopped. Maybe not both but at least one. D grades out to a D IMO.

Steelx
10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Since I didnt read through all of this thread I am sorry for maybe duplicating somone elses thoughts. Anyway,

Since I can remember the Steelers are always getting burned by the pass especially in a situation where there is a mobile QB. The Steelers Corners are not shut down corners and if we try to pull Troy in they are going to get beat deep. If the Steelers get to the QB and make him make bad desicions ie turnovers then we win if they dont well look at the final score.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 09:57 AM
On the Line last night on FSN, a caller asked about the secondary and why they continue to get burnt. Tunch and Wolf both commented that its been an ongoing problem this year that we haven't seen in a long time. DB's are taking bad angles and letting players go in the middle of field way too much.

We're pretty OK as far as 1 on 1 coverage down the sidelines or on long passes but that middle of field is always open and if you look back, so many of the key completions made by the opposing QB come from passes down the middle or crossing patterns.

House of Steel
10-23-2006, 11:20 AM
WE NEED TO CORRECT THAT!!! I've been noticing this since last season. We are suspects in the middle of the passing protection. I don't think Ryan Clark is the answer. I don't know about Anthony Smith sitting back there, but I think we need more speed or more instinct toward the middle. Something has to be changed in the gameplans for us to get any better. It sickens me when we let a long pass down the middle go wide open. I think more teams are realizing, hey this is how you can beat the Steelers in the game. Pass down the middle, that is our weak exposure. You would think Cowher would fix that in a heartbeat along with LeBeau. Crossing patterns as you mention, TG, is another big setback also. Good points.

BlitzburghRockCity
10-23-2006, 11:28 AM
It's an issue with the zone blitz..if you don't get the pressure that the defense is designed to put on the offense, it normally leaves the middle of the field wide open in that soft zone that's been vacated by a persuing LB, safety, or lineman that can't recover from getting beat on the play.

If you get that pressure the QB doesnt have time to set and through the ball because he's running for his life, getting sacked, or just throwing it away.