PDA

View Full Version : and the $64K question is? ....

Iron City South
12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
"HOW FAR WILL THIS OFFENSE TAKE US
IN THE POST SEASON?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yep, there is is folks ..... look at it again. Right there's the question that this entire season will come down to. We know we have a grab-bag, slap together offensive line whom most wouldn't even start in this league on any other team, we know Roethlisberger hasn't had the best of seasons and is very capable of having a "oops I shiat my pants" game at any time against any team. We know our stable of RB's has been limited by injuries this year and that "1 yd Willie" isn't as productive or versatile as Mewelde. We know Nate is capable of a cataclysmic drop that can cost us a crucial drive in any game. We know that Bruce Arians intellectual depth and strategic game planning is better suited for Division III colleges, but we're stuck with him for now.

These are all things we know .... but what we don't know is will they rise to the challenge and put all their disfunctionalism behind them for the good of all humanity and all things holy such as Steelers tradition? ... or will they wither and fold like a cheap suit caught in a summer rain?

That my friends is the $64 thousand dollar question .... :yellowthumb:

BlackGold4vr
12-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Not sure what the significance of the dollar amount was but the summary of this teams glaring offensive weaknesses was spot on! Agree with every one of them you mentioned. I think we will get some answers to these daunting questions in the next two games against the leagues #2 and #3 ranked defenses. The answers might be a little sobering to us. Should be interesting! :thinking:

:helmet:

ejsteeler
12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately, I believe it will be far too sobering. I prescribe drinking heavily to offset the sobering process......:yesnod:

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Disfunctionalism...I love that word, and I rarly get to use it in a sentence. Nice. However, that sums up this Offense to a tee. 64K is about what our OL has earned so far this season in my eyes. Sure they had a nice few games against 3rd tier teams, but against a playoff team, they suck. Maybe Ben would play better if he wasn't looking over his shoulder everytime he dropped back to pass. Or our HB's would do better if there were holes for them to run through. I am not a fan of Bruce, but I also think its the lack of talent up front. There are so many things wrong, but I have faith this team can still pull it together, and win the AFC. No team is playing perfect football, and our Defense is the best I have seen in years. We will be in every game because of them, and our Off doesn't need to be perfect, they just need to be smarter. When we stop shooting ourselves in the foot, you will see a better team. I dont know if we can run the ball going forward well enough to dominate games, but I'm hoping we can be effective enough to give Ben the time he needs to shine. Ben is the X factor in all of this and its going to come down to limited mistakes.

LatrobePA
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Steelers will be amazing this weekend on both sides of the ball....Yes I said it, quote me, write it down, PM me Sunday night and ask me how I knew!

ejsteeler
12-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Steelers will be amazing this weekend on both sides of the ball....Yes I said it, quote me, write it down, PM me Sunday night and ask me how I knew!

I won't ask how you knew, but I will certainly praise ya!!! :cope:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
We will go as far as our PlayCalling an Big Ben takes us:tt02::tt02:, those are the only concerns i have about my team:yesnod:, but i know for sure we beat the mess out of the Rats:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
12-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Hint: We've been there and done that, and with a good portion of the same players! We know how to play in hostile stadiums, we proved that on our SB run, Ben was amazing and our D got er done!

What have the purple penis eaters done in the last few years??? CHOKE!

Stairwayto7
12-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I think we have the key players in place. The line can play well if the play calling is better. Ben can play better, and I think he is getting back in a groove that has been missing for most the year. Willie, has shown us better, so we need him to step up. Our Tightends are solid, Why do we not use them more?? I wish a Fourth receiver would really step up!

LatrobePA
12-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Didn't Ben have a pick 6 in that 1st game? So I agree, there is certainly room for improvement...

Moore can move the ball on this team.....Willie has always been held in check by them, but that could all change!

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I think we have the key players in place. The line can play well if the play calling is better. Ben can play better, and I think he is getting back in a groove that has been missing for most the year. Willie, has shown us better, so we need him to step up. Our Tightends are solid, Why do we not use them more?? I wish a Fourth receiver would really step up!
Maybe its Sweed time???? would love to see him hold onto the ball.

LatrobePA
12-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Maybe its Sweed time???? would love to see him hold onto the ball.

HELL YEA! Someone will have a big day......I'm gonna say Moore!!

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
HELL YEA! Someone will have a big day......I'm gonna say Moore!!I think they are going to key on Moore because he is a poor mans version of Westbrook, and could really gash them again. He played well the last time we faced these bastards. He really helped to open things up for us in the second half. I think we are going to have to use him as bait, and get their attention away from our 3rd or 4th WR.
Maybe bust them up the middle with our TE.

LatrobePA
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I think they are going to key on Moore because he is a poor mans version of Westbrook, and could really gash them again. He played well the last time we faced these bastards. He really helped to open things up for us in the second half. I think we are going to have to use him as bait, and get their attention away from our 3rd or 4th WR.
Maybe bust them up the middle with our TE.

Maybe you should jump your *** in your car and head down to the office and fill out an application for OC....lol (I likey alot!!)

Ben found his groove last time later in the game, I hope he can get on fire and torch these pricks for 5 more TD's!! :tt02:

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe you should jump your *** in your car and head down to the office and fill out an application for OC....lol (I likey alot!!)

Ben found his groove last time later in the game, I hope he can get on fire and torch these pricks for 5 more TD's!! :tt02:

I would, but I like getting drunk during the games. Do you think that would fly with the Rooney's? They seem to be ok with Bruce doing it, but he's much older then I am......lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2008, 04:19 PM
they were starting to come around the last 3 weeks up until the Dallas game then everything went into the tank again. We all know this offense will go as far as Ben will carry us. The defense will do their part and keep us in games and the ST have proven they can be a game changer as well but if this offense doesn't generate points we aren't going to get far. At this point all we can hope for is that they manage the game and don't make the big mistake. Our D will put them in good positions to score and the ST will do their part but if the O doesn't take advantage of their opportunities we're going to squander a golden chance to make some history.

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 04:53 PM
they were starting to come around the last 3 weeks up until the Dallas game then everything went into the tank again. We all know this offense will go as far as Ben will carry us. The defense will do their part and keep us in games and the ST have proven they can be a game changer as well but if this offense doesn't generate points we aren't going to get far. At this point all we can hope for is that they manage the game and don't make the big mistake. Our D will put them in good positions to score and the ST will do their part but if the O doesn't take advantage of their opportunities we're going to squander a golden chance to make some history.

I really agree with you when you say, "Squander a golden chance here." This season is perfect for us to win it. Brady is out...lol What more do we want? We have the Best Def this league has seen in decades, and everyone else is just average. We should be taking advantage of this, and nut up.

As far as kinda going into the tank once we hit Dallas, I think its because we, for what ever reason have had a hard time with the NFC this year. The seem to have our number in the sack department. Kind of embarrassing if you thnk about it. Yet, we are 2-2 against those fags. We have been playing weaker teams kinda like the Ravens, and they were unable to take advantage of our crappy OL. The NFC East ate our asses up in that area. I look for the next 2 games to be more of the same. I really dont think it can be dumped to much onto the shoulders of Ben because I think we will go as far as this OL will take us. I have faith in Ben, but not if he is looking up from his back. This line needs to give him some sort of comfort level back there or its not going to work. come on now, he's not Fran Tarkenton....lol

LarryNJ
12-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Not sure what the significance of the dollar amount was

There was a radio game show that worked like who wants to be a millionaire only it was for $64.00. So the phrase started "That's the $64 question" for a difficult question. Later there was another show $64,000 so the phrase changed.

There's no doubt that this is a difficult question. My guess would be they play well enough to win 2 playoff games. Let's hope we have a bye!

Iron City South
12-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Mark my words, it won't be a single player or two that squander our post-season, it will be an intellectually lazy and predictable game plan followed by lack of adjustment on behalf of Airans.

Remember this post .... This prediction will be as sure as the sun rising in the east.

In the past few games, the only time our offense showed some life is when they removed Arians from the equation and allowed Ben Roeth to go "no huddle" and call his own plays.

TEEMONT
12-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Someone just needs to light a ****ing fire under the O-line's ***......that is it.

yinzer
12-11-2008, 10:38 PM

YES! THANK YOU, LATROBE!!!!!! i'm getting so friggin tired of reading these pessimistic posts. who are the ravens anyway??? good defense? so what! ours is better! consistent qb? so what! ours is better! it will be up to flacco if the ravens have a prayer and he ain't pullin this one out of his arse!

--- Added 12/11/2008 at 09:38 PM ---

Mark my words, it won't be a single player or two that squander our post-season, it will be an intellectually lazy and predictable game plan followed by lack of adjustment on behalf of Airans.

Remember this post .... This prediction will be as sure as the sun rising in the east.

In the past few games, the only time our offense showed some life is when they removed Arians from the equation and allowed Ben Roeth to go "no huddle" and call his own plays.

i'm bowing to this entire post right now. +10000000000000000000000000000000

BlitzburghRockCity
12-13-2008, 12:39 AM
There's not a Steeler fan alive that should be worried about our defense this weekend, they will do their job. The special teams will make an impact somehow, either with a big return, a forced turnover, or a key stop.

I think this group feels like they have something to prove, that they can exercise this monkey they've had the last few trips to Baltimore and take on a good defense and pull the game out without leaving the defense in a lurch every play. I look for them to come out firing and not let their foot off the gas till the final minute ticks off.

DIESELMAN
12-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Besides an *** chewing....whats the worst that would happen if Ben and the O called the whole game? **** Arians!!! Everytime he called a play, unless by some freak force of nature it was a good call, the O called something completely different. Its crunch time, time to put the children to bed and burn down Baltimore!!!!! We are 10-3, a golden oppurtunity to win the AFC North and possibly win a 1st rd bye. No way in hell after 14 weeks of football should Tomlin stand idly by and allow inept play calling to continue.....We've got the offensive weapons to blow anyone, ANYONE out of the stadium.......This is where we separate the men from the boys......

ITS CRUNCH TIME BABY!!!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!

K Train
12-13-2008, 03:23 AM
gameplan:

stick to the outsides, rolle shys away from contact and is an old man that at his best wouldnt be able to cover holmes, washington is weak and cant possibly man up on ward. dont bother trying to run, we wont be able to do it, especially willie who has about 60 yards in his career against the ravens. make our run game those short passes to moore. ngata is a freak he makes the middle of the line a shithole to run in. spaeht and miller need to own the middle and keep LBs occupied while the wrs and moore do most of the work. we arent gonna win this game by running the ball.

the d will do their thing and this game ruins flaccos chance at ROY