PDA

View Full Version : Parker says Steelers have become too predictable; Tomlin speaks out!

AZ_Steeler
12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Link to story... (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_602428.html)

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Willie Parker said today that the Steelers have become too predictable when they run out of two tight-end sets and added that he would welcome an increased role for the fullback in the offense.

"We bring in two tight ends now, without a fullback, and they know what's coming," Parker said of opposing defenses. "I don't know what it is but it's not been effective."

The Steelers are 23rd in the NFL in rushing (103.8 yards per game).

Parker is the Steelers' leading rusher but he has just 597 rushing yards and is averaging 3.9 yards per carry. The two-time Pro Bowler has been hampered by knee and shoulder problems this season.

The Steelers moved away from using a traditional fullback in 2007, Bruce Arians' first season as offensive coordinator, when Carey Davis beat out Dan Kreider for the starting job. Davis has played sparingly this season as the Steelers have primarily run out of two-tight end formations.

"I definitely love running with a fullback," Parker said. "We've got a fullback but we don't play him that much."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
Back to headlines

:dunno: Moore doesn't seem to have an issue with picking up yards! :D

Black@Gold Forever32
12-10-2008, 05:06 PM

He doesn't?....I guess you didn't see the Colts game when Moore struggled and has a bad against a very weak Colts run defense.....I like Moore a ton and thought he was a great signing and he has saved the Steelers offense this season at times.....But look at the stats both Moore's and Parker's stats are basically identical this year when looking at their rushing stats....In the passing it is Moore hands down.....Moore isn't the savior of the Steelers running game long term.....I also think Willie Parker hasn't been 100 percent most of this and I agree the Steelers are way to predictable on offense.....Anybody that watches the games can see that.....run on first down run on second down.....3rd and long most of the time......:lol:

Dean Denton
12-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe Parker should tell his coaches this. Or he can jusr run harder. If everyone knows why they cant run, then why cant they make adjustments? do they not have the right players?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Well duh, Willie is stating what we already know. We are way too predictable on offense..that's a given in just about any situation you can think of. Both Parker and Moore are better with a good lead FB; Moore is better without one than Parker is but at the same time having one to help get that extra block especially up the middle is huge. Arians will have none of it though because we all know he doesn't like using them.

perhaps he'll listen to what Parker says...then again :evilshake:

steelers4life66
12-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Maybe Parker should tell his coaches this. Or he can jusr run harder. If everyone knows why they cant run, then why cant they make adjustments? do they not have the right players?
I think its got a lot to do with that weak 0-line. Can't open any holes.:2cents:

yinzer
12-10-2008, 06:01 PM

the question really should be: Would the coach/coaches (bruce ariass) listen? arians has too much of an ego to change anything. his philosophy would be that we are 10-3 and his gong show of an offense has "worked" up to this point. hence, the ego. round and round we go...

Dean Denton
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
the question really should be: Would the coach/coaches (bruce ariass) listen? arians has too much of an ego to change anything. his philosophy would be that we are 10-3 and his gong show of an offense has "worked" up to this point. hence, the ego. round and round we go...I would hope so because, yes we are 10-3, but it has nothing to do with the Off. We have a 3-10 Off for the most part. We are close to last in running the ball, and that is not how you win in the playoffs. I know that the Ravens won a SB with just Def, but they played a weak Giants team too. The Panthers and the Giants are not so weak this year. and I think its going to be one of those teams that we would face.
Not to mention the playoffs. We need to be avble to score 20-28 points to win going forward, and we look like 13-16 is about all we are good for. Thats if we get lucky. Our Def put us on the 50 yard line like 4 times on sunday and we came away with Shiat...Tomlin better do something, or We might be the ones getting Cowher next season.....

yinzer
12-10-2008, 06:22 PM
I would hope so because, yes we are 10-3, but it has nothing to do with the Off. We have a 3-10 Off for the most part. We are close to last in running the ball, and that is not how you win in the playoffs. I know that the Ravens won a SB with just Def, but they played a weak Giants team too. The Panthers and the Giants are not so weak this year. and I think its going to be one of those teams that we would face.
Not to mention the playoffs. We need to be avble to score 20-28 points to win going forward, and we look like 13-16 is about all we are good for. Thats if we get lucky. Our Def put us on the 50 yard line like 4 times on sunday and we came away with Shiat...Tomlin better do something, or We might be the ones getting Cowher next season.....

i'm with you 100000000000000000% dean! i love threads like this... when players voice their opinions. we have to establish some type of run game. period. i know people want to throw blame around with the O line but the O line ain't goin anywhere THIS year. it's up to ariass to come up with a game plan that will give us the best shot. i know nothing about being an offensive coordinator but when players, FOR THE SECOND TIME in the season, go public and voice their disgust with this offense, it makes what all of us think more founded.

Zachintosh66
12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
i believe we have been saying this for quite a while now...

jpele
12-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Here's a comparison of Parker and Moore:

Game..............Parker...................Moore

Texans...........25-138 = 5.5...........0

Browns...........28-105 =3.8............0

Eagles............13-20 =1.5.............1-6 =6

Ravens............0...........................8-13 =1.6

Jaguars...........0...........................17-99 = 5.8

Bengals..........0............................20--120 = 6.0

Giants............0...........................19--84 = 4.4

Redskins........21--70 = 3.3.............4 -2 = -0.5

Colts..............0.............................2 4--57 = 2.4

Chargers.........25--115 = 4.6............1 -1 = -1

Bengals..........14--37 = 2.6..............15--56 = 3.7

Patriots...........16--87 = 5.4..............12--67 = 5.6

Cowboys.........12--25 = 2.1..............5--22 = 4.4

Its time for Arians and his fullback Cary Davis to hit the road.

Dean Denton
12-10-2008, 06:39 PM
looks like when we use them both, they do ok.

Hey jpele, what happened to your Hilary Swank Avitar?

jpele
12-10-2008, 06:46 PM
looks like when we use them both, they do ok.

Hey jpele, what happened to your Hilary Swank Avitar?

Had to change the avitar for Ravens week.

BRICKTOWN BEAST
12-10-2008, 06:47 PM
yeah No brArians needs to go seriously. Like c'mon dude I know were 10-3 but everybody knows its because of our defense. It sucks how we have such amazing offensive players on our team but we can't use them because some dumbass is messing it all up. It's like we have the best rock band ever with every instrument played by somebosy whos amazing at it but the band manager has them play CHER. I mean how can you run the ball effectiveley without one of the most important men on the field your FULLBACK!!! Your an idiot go back to the Browns your worthless. I'm afraid what happens when Lebeua leaves are we gonna get the Bengels Defensive coordinator???

steel-tex
12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
two things - they call me bruce is in pittsburgh -- dan Kreider is not.

--- Added 12/10/2008 at 06:07 PM ---

anyone know what happened to davenport ??????

Iron City South
12-10-2008, 07:09 PM
IF anthing, this is an indictment of how bad Arians actually is.....

While Parker hasn't been as effective as Moore, I'm not about to discredit what Parker is saying .... he's absolutley 100% correct.

Running or passing .... Arians game planning and play selection are abysmal. He's a terrible Off. Coordinator and he needs to be shown the door at the end of the year.

Anything less is unacceptable.

steelers4life66
12-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's a comparison of Parker and Moore:

Game..............Parker...................Moore

Texans...........25-138 = 5.5...........0

Browns...........28-105 =3.8............0

Eagles............13-20 =1.5.............1-6 =6

Ravens............0...........................8-13 =1.6

Jaguars...........0...........................17-99 = 5.8

Bengals..........0............................20--120 = 6.0

Giants............0...........................19--84 = 4.4

Redskins........21--70 = 3.3.............4 -2 = -0.5

Colts..............0.............................2 4--57 = 2.4

Chargers.........25--115 = 4.6............1 -1 = -1

Bengals..........14--37 = 2.6..............15--56 = 3.7

Patriots...........16--87 = 5.4..............12--67 = 5.6

Cowboys.........12--25 = 2.1..............5--22 = 4.4

Its time for Arians and his fullback Cary Davis to hit the road.
I'm not happy with Arians myself. He might be gone. Mike told him shape up or ship out.:clap:

DBR96A
12-10-2008, 07:11 PM

Could this be the beginning of the end for Bruce Arians? Think about it; if he's lost one of the key players on offense, then it's probably only a matter of time before he loses other players.

Unfortunately, Ben might be one of the holdouts in a situation like that simply because Arians granted him more freedom than Ken Whisenhunt did.

Dean Denton
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm pretty sure even if we win the SB this is Bruces last season with us. Same for the OL coach. He sucks. However Grimm didn't do any better in the pass blocking his last year here.

yinzer
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty sure even if we win the SB this is Bruces last season with us. Same for the OL coach. He sucks. However Grimm didn't do any better in the pass blocking his last year here.

don't be so sure. :nono: i don't think tomlin has the rocks to fire ariass.

steelers4life66
12-10-2008, 07:30 PM
don't be so sure. :nono: i don't think tomlin has the rocks to fire ariass.
I don't know. He's already got on him once. I don't think Tomlin's one to play around.

LatrobePA
12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Guys in regards to Mr. OC BA:

Think about where he came from? Yep Cleveland, they have no f'n clue up there and all their coaches are horrible and I mean horrible, now the whole point of this post - THEY F'N FIRED BA!! What does that tell you???

steelers4life66
12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Guys in regards to Mr. OC BA:

Think about where he came from? Yep Cleveland, they have no f'n clue up there and all their coaches are horrible and I mean horrible, now the whole point of this post - THEY F'N FIRED BA!! What does that tell you???
Tell's me he's about to be fired again.:lol:

yinzer
12-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't know. He's already got on him once. I don't think Tomlin's one to play around.

well, IF tomlin got on ariass once before, the lashing had no effect.

steelers4life66
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Ya thats what I'm saying. I look for him to be hunting a job next year.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Yea but don't forget Arians was with the Colts 1st,then the Clowns, he needs to go back to Temple with that bull sh** offense, if Tomlin doesn't fire him this year, i hope the Rooneys go over Tomlins head, we should've pick up Cam Cameron when the Fins let him go last year:cursin:

LatrobePA
12-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Yea but don't forget Arians was with the Colts 1st,then the Clowns, he needs to go back to Temple with that bull sh** offense, if Tomlin doesn't fire him this year, i hope the Rooneys go over Tomlins head, we should've pick up Cam Cameron when the Fins let him go last year:cursin:

Man you hit the nail right on the head, I said that last year B4 Cam got canned! Just imagine, we could of done what the pats failed to do last year with a REAL offense!

Gettysburgh_Steel
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Maybe he never had a real team to work with. I think we all know the difference , from the Browns. Can't say much about the Colts though. Never kne

w he was even there.

Tomlin speaks of this team " showing thier metal ". He surely knows the offensive woes we have been bringing to the field. I say he will try to get it corrected , because he is all about the team.

Whether it is special teams , defense , or the offense , they all have to pull thier weight .
I trust Mike . So did the front office. He must know more than we do as fans.
I do agree, lets get it done !

BR7
12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Bring back Mullarky!!!!

And our FB :D

BlitzburghRockCity
12-10-2008, 11:18 PM
If your own players on your own offense are calling you out then one would think you would atleast sit down and listen to what they say...or atleast we can hope. One thing about Mularkey and his trick plays; one thing he never was, was predictable..LOL

STEELERSWVUGK
12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Shutup Willie

JensK
12-11-2008, 08:45 AM

That may not be Tomlins fault though. It may just be because Arians have around the same IQ as his shoesize...

Steelers70
12-11-2008, 09:16 AM
The Steelers offense has always been "predictable". Everyone knew which plays were going to be run plays and which weren't. The difference is this... Before Arians there was nothing they could do to stop our running game. They knew it was going to happen and they knew they were going to get ran over. Now though, our running game is second place to the pass and we don't provide hole punchers for the back to run behind. I've seen this before on other teams and you end up with injured running backs. Well thats what we have now.

So we've always been predictable and its just now that we can't back it up. For two years they've basically neglected the need for tackles and guards and went with QB weapons, and defensive guys. (not that I'm complaining about Woodley). It catches up to the offense sooner or later. Right now we're the Ravens from the first of the decade. I hate that. Winning too many games on Defense alone and not presenting a good enough offense to really make the statement we need too.

-Steelers70

ejsteeler
12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Heres where it really becomes a problem though. A player publically calling out his OC. If a change is not made for the ratbirds game, it will not be made this year and we very well may not make it to the playoffs. I don't think Tomlin will yank him and give the reigns to Ben, I just don't think thats his style. But when your players are showing this kind of frustration, it will effect their play and others play as well. :yesnod: :evilshake:

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Mike Matrz. Or Steve Mariucci. I want us to get one of these old Head Coaches, that has an Offensive mind. Doesn't have to be one of these bruisers, but someone like minded. We need points. We need to move the ball. Maybe joe Pa can loan us his Oline.

DIESELMAN
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
anyone know what happened to davenport ??????
Colts signed him....

Hopefully during the offseason (cuz nothing will change until then) Tomlin will look over every piece of statistic he can get his hands on concerning our offense. After looking at all this evidence, we should all hope and pray that he gives Arians a pat on the back and a "Don't call us, we'll call you" look and be done with him.

BlackGold4vr
12-11-2008, 12:08 PM
What I would love to see is a return to our power running roots. I want to see a Steeler offense that runs the ball like Carolina did on MNF against the Buccaneers. We need to do whatever it takes to move up in this years draft and take some road grating OT's that can blow people off the line of scrimmage. Did you see the holes that the Panthers line was opening up for Williams and Stewart? Coulda drove a Mack truck through them. We had an O-line like that in the mid-90's. It doesn't matter who is running the ball when you have a dominant run blocking O-line. Once you get the offense to where teams are having troubles stopping the run you can set-up the play action passing game which is way more effective when teams are scared of your running game. Lets admit it, right now there are no teams that should fear our running game. And when it comes to closing out games and taking the air out of the ball like the Cowher teams used to do you have to be able to impose your will on other teams with the running game. When Tomlin was hired as the HC he stated that his philosophy was strong defense and a strong run game, well its time to put the money where the mouth is and bring in some O-lineman who can impose that philosophy. Put up or shut-up. :2cents:

Stairwayto7
12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
The offense seems to move okay when Moore is in the backfield

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 02:59 PM
What I would love to see is a return to our power running roots. I want to see a Steeler offense that runs the ball like Carolina did on MNF against the Buccaneers. We need to do whatever it takes to move up in this years draft and take some road grating OT's that can blow people off the line of scrimmage. Did you see the holes that the Panthers line was opening up for Williams and Stewart? Coulda drove a Mack truck through them. We had an O-line like that in the mid-90's. It doesn't matter who is running the ball when you have a dominant run blocking O-line. Once you get the offense to where teams are having troubles stopping the run you can set-up the play action passing game which is way more effective when teams are scared of your running game. Lets admit it, right now there are no teams that should fear our running game. And when it comes to closing out games and taking the air out of the ball like the Cowher teams used to do you have to be able to impose your will on other teams with the running game. When Tomlin was hired as the HC he stated that his philosophy was strong defense and a strong run game, well its time to put the money where the mouth is and bring in some O-lineman who can impose that philosophy. Put up or shut-up. :2cents:I think a lot of the lack of fear is because Willie is not 100%. If he was, then people would fear us. Willie can break one at any time. so right now, we are in deep shiat. I cant tell if willie is still hurt, or if he is just done. There was a time when Jerome was not running well, then he just came back. Lets hope Willie can step up this year, and show us that he is ok.

Ambridge
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank goodness Willie had the "Stones" to speak-up!!
Maybe short of the offense laying an egg in a "Hopeful" playoff run this might be the start of the end for Arians.:crossfingers:

Running Willie out of the single set backfield with no fullback..........Oh!!! and don't forget the offensive line is somewhere between Questionable and Sucks makes for a bad deal and is very ASSININE!!

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Thank goodness Willie had the "Stones" to speak-up!!
Maybe short of the offense laying an egg in a "Hopeful" playoff run this might be the start of the end for Arians.:crossfingers:

Running Willie out of the single set backfield with no fullback..........Oh!!! and don't forget the offensive line is somewhere between Questionable and Sucks makes for a bad deal and is very ASSININE!!
Assinine, thats another word I seldom get to use. however it fits well with our OC...lol

Ulitimately whos' choice is it to fire the OC? Does this come from up top...Rooney's, or is this something they leave up to the HC...Tomlin?

ejsteeler
12-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Assinine, thats another word I seldom get to use. however it fits well with our OC...lol

Ulitimately whos' choice is it to fire the OC? Does this come from up top...Rooney's, or is this something they leave up to the HC...Tomlin?

In this orginization, the HC gets that privilage. :yellowthumb:

steelers4life66
12-12-2008, 06:40 AM
One can only wonder what Mike Tomlin said to running back Willie Parker (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/224889) behind closed doors today.
The Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers) coach did not mix words when he addressed comments Parker made about the running game yesterday. "The issue for us has been, is and hopefully will continue to be winning," Tomlin said today after practice at the Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers)' South Side facility. "That's my interpretation of Steelers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers) Football. Every morning I come to work I walk past five Lombardis (trophies), not five rushing rushing titles. The issue is winning.
"He needs to be a little more careful with the things he says and the way he says them as they can be misinterpreted as uninformed or selfish, of which he is neither."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8930778/Tomlin-irked-by-Parker-comments-

LarryNJ
12-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Bench him Mike! :)

ejsteeler
12-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I like Tomlin's rebuttle. He is firm yet does not slam Willie for it. I like our HC and think he will be around for a decade or more.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
i like him too. I would like him better if he got us a better OC though. The only thing about that will be the growing pains. So if and when we make the switch, it could take a couple seasons to get into the swing.

AZ_Steeler
12-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Parker's comments may have been a little out of line but he's only saying what all the fans are thinking and wondering ourselves. I know I can sit and watch a game and I can usually call the play and know exactly what they are doing. If we know what's coming you for sure the D knows what's coming too... It's almost BA has his playbook scripted like a help manual... it probably has little tabs down the side that says "When 3rd and 15+", "When Inside the 10", When Inside the 5" :smh:

I think Tomlin handled very respectfully :bigthumb: But you know FWP's *** still hurt from the chewing he got from Mr. T!

LatrobePA
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Same here, I get sick of seeing them try and run to the 5 hole all damn game!!

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 01:07 PM
These guys are just not set up for that. I take it Willie is feeling a lot better if he's running his mouth. Maybe coach will put his *** to work and make him pull out some big yards. Dont know why willie is saying this before we play the Ravens. If Tomlin tells him to put up or shut up he's screwed. He has never played good against the Ravens...