PDA

View Full Version : Attack the Ratbirds secondary

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2008, 08:13 AM
That's where they are vulnerable; we saw last year and this year as well that the way to beat the Ratbirds is really to attack those corners and the secondary in general. As long as you watch out for Ed Reed and don't give him any easy picks you can beat them in that area. They are too fast, just like we are, to try and bounce it outside on runs so you need to back off the blitz and them crowding the line by airing it out with quick drops, roll outs, and using that intermediate passing game. Once you do that then you can start to run alittle more because they have to respect the pass.

The ratbird D is like ours, you won't make a living running against it all day so you need to take advantage of the opportunities. Plus if you watch them they really swarm to the ball like we do so if you can get some draws, delayed handoffs, screens, etc. you can be effective, the key with that though is to really sell out on the pass and then at the very last second dump it off so the first wave has already committed and you can get past them.

Steelersfan
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
I agree Top. Spread them out with 3 WR sets. Have Moore coming out of the backfield and use Miller! The draws and screen passes could be key for the Steelers moving the ball and taking advantage of an aggressive D. Once they back off a bit then they should be able to mix in the run a little with better results.

NOVA STEELERS
12-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey TG ......... Did you cc.. Arians on this memo :hehheh:

LatrobePA
12-09-2008, 09:29 AM
If you all recall we had RB's dropping like flies last meeting with the Rats. Moore did find some wiggle room and was able to move the ball against them.

Going into this game will be diffrent, now we will know who is running the ball. I still think we can run a little...

No huddle will be key, long drives will be key, ray ray will wear down same with suggs etc etc....They don't have the depth we do.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2008, 09:45 AM
I like the no huddle approach as well Latrobe; the Ratbirds love to slow the tempo of the game down and run as much as possible to keep the pressure of Flacco. We need to use the weapons we have to our advantage and speed up the tempo of this game on both sides of the ball. Use the no huddle, spread the defense out, roll out Ben, quick snap counts, short drops, etc. I like matchup of Ben vs the Ratbirds secondary for the most part, especially our TE's. The ratbirds are not very big on D they are quick though so big guys like Heath and Matt are so vital and such great targets.

jpele
12-09-2008, 09:56 AM
This no huddle you talk about,seems I recall some mention of this offense in the off season.

Steelers70
12-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I agree but with the power of their pass rush it's also important to make quick drops and consider hot routes whenever possible. I'm also thinking MM should maybe start at the RB position this game. He gives us the short drop off pass options that are going to be key when the pocket collapses. That would give us up to 5 or 6 pass threats we can use against them at any one time without sacrificing our running game.

-Steelers70

DIESELMAN
12-09-2008, 10:22 AM
No huddle will be key, long drives will be key, ray ray will wear down same with suggs etc etc....They don't have the depth we do.
I was thinking the same thing. I say come out on the first drive with the no huddle, we also need to show them packages they hardly see or have never seen. Go against anything they've seen on game film. Our D can handle their offense, but our offense needs to dial it up big time.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I agree spread them Rats out 3-4 reciever sets an Ben should dink an dunk them:tt02:, I also think they should run the no huddle to start the game we have to jump on the Rats early to get that double digit lead:yesnod:, an take the Rats outta there game plan an make Faggo beat us through the air:tt02:Because u know our Defense is not gonna let the Rats throw on us:yellowthumb:

ejsteeler
12-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Agree on all accounts here and want to emphasize CHANGING THE SNAP COUNT!!! We are way too predictable whether it is pass or rush. A D like the ratbirds will tee off on us. We need to mix things up in all phases of our Offense. It just seems like they are not good enough to make the coaches feel comfortable enough to try it.....:2cents: :evilshake:

steel-tex
12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
you guys have some great ideas for our offense but remember what guy is calling the plays. Arians from what i see is arrogant as hell - he acts like we have an o-line that can run block ???? he is so arrogant that he will run the same play over and over like the outcome will be different the next time. part of being a good offense is to call a pass when you are supposed to run and run when you are supposed to pass. He is very predictable. hell parker is hurt and he is still in the game - rest him up and use russell some. we have a good offense ( except the line ) and should be able to score more points than we do. I blame Bruce for this--he needs to go back to brownsville.

Troyisabeast_43
12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
That's where they are vulnerable; we saw last year and this year as well that the way to beat the Ratbirds is really to attack those corners and the secondary in general. As long as you watch out for Ed Reed and don't give him any easy picks you can beat them in that area. They are too fast, just like we are, to try and bounce it outside on runs so you need to back off the blitz and them crowding the line by airing it out with quick drops, roll outs, and using that intermediate passing game. Once you do that then you can start to run alittle more because they have to respect the pass.

The ratbird D is like ours, you won't make a living running against it all day so you need to take advantage of the opportunities. Plus if you watch them they really swarm to the ball like we do so if you can get some draws, delayed handoffs, screens, etc. you can be effective, the key with that though is to really sell out on the pass and then at the very last second dump it off so the first wave has already committed and you can get past them.

I agree that the Steelers offense and Arians cant come out and try to play smash mouth football and run at the Ravens because it just is not going to work. The offense needs to get a bit radical for a good word and like you said go with the spread offense and 5 wide set with Moore coming out of the backfield. Go no huddle and keep the Ratbirds defense off base. If Ben and the offense can get out of the gate early and get up 10-0 14-0 and not turn the ball over Flacco and that Ravens offense will not be able to come back and score enough points to beat the Steelers defense. Memo to Arians grow a set of nuts this week and start changing somethings on offense and start taking some more chances so that you can find the end zone a few more times this weekend.

Dean Denton
12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Agree on all accounts here and want to emphasize CHANGING THE SNAP COUNT!!! We are way too predictable whether it is pass or rush. A D like the ratbirds will tee off on us. We need to mix things up in all phases of our Offense. It just seems like they are not good enough to make the coaches feel comfortable enough to try it.....:2cents: :evilshake:This is so true. They time their blitz, and make it look easy because we dont mix up our snap count. we go all the way to 1, then hike. We need to be getting the plays in sooner, or let Ben to continue to call the plays so we can get the ball off between 2 and 6 seconds left on the clock. These bastards are too good for us to tell them when we hike the ball.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I agree that the Steelers offense and Arians cant come out and try to play smash mouth football and run at the Ravens because it just is not going to work. The offense needs to get a bit radical for a good word and like you said go with the spread offense and 5 wide set with Moore coming out of the backfield. Go no huddle and keep the Ratbirds defense off base. If Ben and the offense can get out of the gate early and get up 10-0 14-0 and not turn the ball over Flacco and that Ravens offense will not be able to come back and score enough points to beat the Steelers defense. Memo to Arians grow a set of nuts this week and start changing somethings on offense and start taking some more chances so that you can find the end zone a few more times this weekend.

+10, Look at the 35-7 beatdown of the Ravens last year and the colts playoff game in '06. Theres no suprises with Baltimores D. You have to keep them honest with the run/draws/swing passes. Just dont expect to have ANY success with runs esp. to the outside. Quick passes to miss-matches created by the ravens having LB's on faster TE's and backs. If we come out hurry-up O and take the 5-10 yard WR paterns and the 4,5= yard check downs, the blitz will be ineffective. Plus with guys like MEMO,Holems,Ward and even Heath, you always have the threat of run after the catch.

If we get into this 7 step drop or shotgun with 15+ yard patterns, we're asking our pourous oline to do the impossible!!! Any runs should be between the tackle as to not risk LOSING yardage. Any screens should be quick to catch them off guard rather than draw them in. Their D is TOO fast/smart to think that they will be caught out off position. (ala Ngata's pick of Roethlisberger in the first metting this year)

Reed, as GREAT as he is is a gambler. More so than any S in the league. Its risk reward with Ed Reed. If we get the quick patterns working early and loosen up the pass rush, double moves over top WILL be open on Reed and Co. A good gameplan would work wonders this week. Trying to force our "normal" playbook down there throats would be near suicide for the Steelers O!

Dean Denton
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I would rather Santonio do a Billy Cole, (Last Boy Scout) on Reed....lol just kidding.

steelcitysfinestXL
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I would rather Santonio do a Billy Cole, (Last Boy Scout) on Reed....lol just kidding.

LOL, that was some cold shiat wasnt it, man i almost forgot about that movie

Dean Denton
12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
LOL, that was some cold shiat wasnt it, man i almost forgot about that movieThat scene always flashes in my head when the Steelers are struggling on Off. I just want to run on the field, and clear a path for Willie with my AK...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2008, 09:57 PM
+10, Look at the 35-7 beatdown of the Ravens last year and the colts playoff game in '06. Theres no suprises with Baltimores D. You have to keep them honest with the run/draws/swing passes. Just dont expect to have ANY success with runs esp. to the outside. Quick passes to miss-matches created by the ravens having LB's on faster TE's and backs. If we come out hurry-up O and take the 5-10 yard WR paterns and the 4,5= yard check downs, the blitz will be ineffective. Plus with guys like MEMO,Holems,Ward and even Heath, you always have the threat of run after the catch.

If we get into this 7 step drop or shotgun with 15+ yard patterns, we're asking our pourous oline to do the impossible!!! Any runs should be between the tackle as to not risk LOSING yardage. Any screens should be quick to catch them off guard rather than draw them in. Their D is TOO fast/smart to think that they will be caught out off position. (ala Ngata's pick of Roethlisberger in the first metting this year)

Reed, as GREAT as he is is a gambler. More so than any S in the league. Its risk reward with Ed Reed. If we get the quick patterns working early and loosen up the pass rush, double moves over top WILL be open on Reed and Co. A good gameplan would work wonders this week. Trying to force our "normal" playbook down there throats would be near suicide for the Steelers O!

:iagree: what he said!

We can only hope that Arians doesn't allow Ben to try do all this exotic stuff or take these deep drops waiting for patterns to open up. That hasn't worked all year and it sure as hell isn't going to work this week or next week against the Titans. Coming out with the no huddle is an excellent idea, put them on their heals right off the start. The ratbirds will crowd the line to stop the run and basically dare us to attack them through the air so it would be prudent of us to accept that invitation and torch them. Ben has good games against the Baltimore D and our WR's aren't afraid to go across the middle or anything else. The secondary is the week link for that team and if Arians doesn't use that to his advantage then he's even dumber than we already think he is.

Take what they give you, work down the field, go for the big play now and then but for God sakes don't get this damn "steeler football" mentality on offense of running it when everybody knows we can't do it consistently this year.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Quick slant quick slant quick slant.....must be used....Plus Santonio better run a nice hard crisp route and if he does he will take it to the house....When he runs this route lazy then it will be picked.....Just think back to the play-off loss to the Jags....One time he ran it lazy and it was a pick six by Mathis.....The next time he ran this route later in the game on 4th down he ran the quick slant hard and crisp and he took it to the house......

LatrobePA
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Roll Ben out a bit more bootlegs etc.

It worked 11-05-07!!

Dean Denton
12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Billy Cole......

steelers4life66
12-10-2008, 07:37 PM

I thought :thinking: They are 2nd against the pass?