PDA

View Full Version : Running back by committee is not working

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 09:57 AM
This 2 headed running attack by committe thing just is not working for this team. Parker was completely shut down yesterday and really hasn't been consistent all year since he's been hurt so much. Last week against the Pats you could see he wasn't able to plant that left knee and cut with any stability at all and this week Dallas just had his number.

Moore was just effective enough to make some plays and really he was the hotter hand of the too. Arians said he will play the hot hand no matter who it is but that strategy seems to be to wrong one. I understand you want the most effective guy out there and all that but in the midst of you trying to figure out who is having the better day you're QB is getting killed and the offense is stalling out. Honestly when is the last time you saw a Steeler team with the weak link being the running game? I know it's been quite awhile and this year though is worse than ever. We just cannot consistently do anything in the ground game. 1 week we're rushing for 150-200 yds and the next we can't even break 70 yds much less 100. At this point as much as I love Parker we may be better off just putting in Moore right from the start and using Parker in a limited role till we see how he's going to respond.

Russell is doing tremendous both on kickoff returns and short yardage; he's doing all he's asked and then some. He's our power guy and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. All I know is that heading into the postseason we better figure out something because we can ill afford an ineffective running attack in the playoffs.

LatrobePA
12-08-2008, 10:02 AM
10-3 with NO running game at all. This will bite us in the *** real soon headed down the stretch.

Put a fork in FWP, he's done here fellas, he hits the hole and stops, he has no push. He can't catch the dump offs...Put a fork'n fork in him!!

Moore is $$$$ but he can only do so much, he's not meant to be our feature back. Damn it sucks 34 is out, I think he'd had a huge year!

Someway we need to get this fixed, we all know there is NO running against the Rats!!

JensK
12-08-2008, 10:22 AM
seriously, i think the deal about our running game is the play-calling. It is SO obvious when we run. Ben just turns around, stiff arm and holds it there untill someone grabs the ball. Seriously, even a high school team would be able to see that one comming. We to run some more tricky plays.. Delayed hand-offs and such, so that its not always obvious that we are running. I mean for god sake.. Their O-line's got SO much time to see where we'll run. Not that it matters because its always up the middle. You hardly ever see a pitch to willie, which you'd think would be great since he is so fast, but no..

TEEMONT
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I hate to say it, b/c I love FWP so much....but not having Medenhall is killing us right now.

killing us

jpele
12-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I've said in another thread Willie should be on the bench until healthy he's hurting the team more than helping. Moore on the other hand averaged 4.4 YPC trouble is ,he only got the ball 5 times.

Gary Russell should be given more carries to see what he can do. Unless we bring back Davenport , these are our choices.

Steelersfan
12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
This 2 headed running attack by committe thing just is not working for this team. Parker was completely shut down yesterday and really hasn't been consistent all year since he's been hurt so much. Last week against the Pats you could see he wasn't able to plant that left knee and cut with any stability at all and this week Dallas just had his number.

Moore was just effective enough to make some plays and really he was the hotter hand of the too. Arians said he will play the hot hand no matter who it is but that strategy seems to be to wrong one. I understand you want the most effective guy out there and all that but in the midst of you trying to figure out who is having the better day you're QB is getting killed and the offense is stalling out. Honestly when is the last time you saw a Steeler team with the weak link being the running game? I know it's been quite awhile and this year though is worse than ever. We just cannot consistently do anything in the ground game. 1 week we're rushing for 150-200 yds and the next we can't even break 70 yds much less 100. At this point as much as I love Parker we may be better off just putting in Moore right from the start and using Parker in a limited role till we see how he's going to respond.

Russell is doing tremendous both on kickoff returns and short yardage; he's doing all he's asked and then some. He's our power guy and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. All I know is that heading into the postseason we better figure out something because we can ill afford an ineffective running attack in the playoffs.

Now weren't there a couple of us that said this months ago???...........................:stirpot:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Koopa
12-08-2008, 11:18 AM
I hate to say it, b/c I love FWP so much....but not having Medenhall is killing us right now.

killing us

i don't think mendenhall would help because tomlin's inability to split carries, he just doesn't know how to do it, willie should average 1 carry a game while any other running back on this team should have the rest...........lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 11:19 AM

killing us

You and I are probably 2 of the bigger FWP supporters on here and we all know he's got the talent to do it he's proven that. However this year he is just not right, that knee is not healed and he's not running with authority. He can't make his cuts and he's clearly struggling. The only remedy for him is time to rest and we won't have that luxury until the season is over; even if we get a bye week that will help but he's missed so much time that it's affecting him.

I love seeing Moore run, the dude is doing all he can but we are definitely missing Mendenhall right now and we all knew his absence late in the season was going to be a problem. Even though he's a rookie had he been healthy all year he'd be finding his stride and playing better each week if he was in there.

Right now we are what we are, we're a passing team that runs just enough to get the job done. That's ok for now but in the playoffs it's going to be a tough road. Our defense and ST though are going to have to be carry the load to keep us in games.

Steelersfan
12-08-2008, 11:22 AM
The Steelers play action is horrid too. They need to do that more and do it better.

LatrobePA
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Guys don't forget we have a high school level (at best) OC....His play calling has been LAME ***!!

Koopa
12-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Guys don't forget we have a high school level (at best) OC....His play calling has been LAME ***!!

if what they say is true, it's ben that's the lame ***, they say he calls most of the plays, and he's as stupid as they come............ so tomlin needs to take his control away and then fire arians just cause i hate him

damn it, i should be studying for my final that i have in an hour lol

JensK
12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
if what they say is true, it's ben that's the lame ***, they say he calls most of the plays, and he's as stupid as they come............ so tomlin needs to take his control away and then fire arians just cause i hate him

damn it, i should be studying for my final that i have in an hour lol

Well, i agree that ben shouldnt be calling the plays, but really he is the better alternative right now. Ben is bad at it, and Arians is flat our horrible.

LatrobePA
12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
We won and I'm still pissed, explain that?? lol

If our O could reach where the D is, NO team could beat us! But our hands are tied with BA.

SteelFanInIL
12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
our running game does need help but I don't think missing Mendnehall is hurting us as much as Parkers game (or lack of) is. If you watch he is always stopping and or stutter stepping at the line, or picking the wrong hole...he just doesn't look aggresive. Watch Moore, he hits the hole and hits it hard, makes good cuts when the hole isn't there, he's just running better than Willie. I love Willie but he's either still too banged up to play, or being injured so much has made him a bit gun shy. Am I wrong?...it wouldnt be the first time lol. GO STEELERS!!!!!

Steelers70
12-09-2008, 11:08 AM
MM has been the better of the two running backs and should have been given the start after Parker got injured and healthy again. Unlike a QB position it's not like shaking off the rust. If the RB isn't close to 100% then neither will the running game be. I love FWP but he should be second string this week.

-Steelers70

LarryNJ
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
The play action will not work until the defense is worrried about you running. They aren't now. A good running attack is good even when the D is stacking the line. We simply don't have that now and the passing game suffers because of it. You must run it to win especially in the playoffs. Warner is having a great year but they won't go anywhere, NO isn't even getting to the playoffs even though they will be pushing 5000 yards in the air. The plus side is Moore hasn't been worked to death so he should have lots of energy in the playoffs. Work his *** and mix in Russell. Sorry Willie we loved you but now is the time to sit your *** on the bench. We'll call you if we need you.

ejsteeler
12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
It was said earlier and it all comes down to predictability. It is so obvious when we are going to run. Slap a TE or two in there, put Hines in motion to stop next to the TE and have one back or an I formation. Thats it! I cannot remember seeing us do ti another way. We need to mix it up. I'm actually dreading the post season, and that is sad. :rant2: