PDA

View Full Version : AFC North title and bye week in the playoffs on the line next week in Baltimore...

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Well fellas it comes down to next Sunday in Baltimore here finally once and for all. There is so much on the line in this game here in terms of what the Steelers can clinch and set themselves up for if they win this game and what will happen to them should they lose this game and drop out of first place. This is definitely one of the biggest regular season games in years for this Steelers team I believe because so much is at stake. A win by the Steelers not only clinches the AFC North Title but also will clinch a first round bye for the playoffs and at the very worst a number 2 seed. A Jets loss today to the 49ers made this scenario possible to happen next week should the Steelers win. A Steelers win also makes that game in Tennessee the following week huge as well because it will then force the Titans to win that game against the Steelers, and the game the following week in Indianapolis to secure homefield advantage in the playoffs. One more Steelers loss and a Titans win next week in Houston would wrap up homefield advantage and the number 1 overall seed for the Titans.

In contrast however, should the Steelers lose in Baltimore next Sunday the Ravens would then be in first place in the AFC North and hold the tiebraker because they would have the better division record for the time being at 5-1 to the Steelers which would only be 4-1. So while the Ravens wont win the AFC North with a win over the Steelers next week they will certainly make the Steelers lives miserable the last 2 weeks of the season should they win that game. The Steelers would then need to win out against Tennessee and Cleveland and have the Ravens lose either at Dallas which by the way I think will definitely happen, or against the Jags in Baltimore. The bottom line is next week in Baltimore everything the Steelers want and need to get for the playoffs and to make a serious run at the Super Bowl is all right there for them in Baltimore next Sunday. Plus, as I also mentioned a win will still give the Steelers a very legit chance to catch the Titans for that number 1 overall seed in the AFC. A loss puts the Ravens in first place and drops the Steelers to the number 6 seed in the playoffs in the AFC, and no longer puts them in control of their own destiny to win thE AFC North Division which is something you never ever want to have happen. With all that being said, and for everything and so much that is on the line next Sunday in Baltimore this is most definitely a MUST win MUST have game for the Steelers. It's time to break that 6 year drought in Baltimore and take the division crown on their own turf which would make it all the more sweet.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2008, 01:03 AM
The Steelers are 6-6 all time in Baltimore against the Ravens....I don't know what their record was when the Colts use to play in Baltimore...lol

Ok but this series has taken some weird turns....The Steelers lost the first game to the Ravens in Baltimore....Then won the next 6 in Baltimore....But have dropped their last five there.....Talk about strange....lol There has been some strange games there as well....

Back in 97- Kordell was terrible (throwing three INTs) in the first half and the Steelers were at least down by three TDs at halftime.....Then in the second half Kordell leads the Steelers back with a strong second half to win the game....Will Blackwell also returned a kickoff for a TD in this game...

In 2000-The Steelers won 9-6......Steelers were 9-7 that year and of course the Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl

2001-The Steelers clinch the AFC Central with a win in Baltimore against the defending Super Bowl champs.......Big play in that game was a 90 yard TD pass....Kordell to Bobby Shaw.....

2003-The 6-10 Steelers lost in OT 13-10....Which their only TD came on a fake punt...lol Jamal also went over the 2000 yard mark.....

2004-Of course Tommy Maddox started the game and was injured....Ben entered in the second game of the season and his first NFL action game down 20-0....lol

2005-Tommy Maddox started in place of an injured Big Ben and lost the game for the Steelers....

Sorry to go off topic but just wanted to share some of my memories over the years when the Steelers play the Ravens in Baltimore.....Since some weird games have taken place over the years....Who knows what is going to happen Sunday.....

But the Steelers control their own destiny which I prefer...If they win they are the division champs and have a shot for homefield throughout the play-offs.....Its going to be war and as history has pointed we shouldn't expect the expected in this game...lol

BlackGold4vr
12-08-2008, 01:16 AM
The Colts are just a game behind us with a relatively easy schedule. The first tiebreaker is head to head and they beat us. Should we lose one more and they win out we would be a 3 or 4 seed. Even if we beat the Ravens the #2 seed is still not decided. We would need to also beat the Titans to ensure the first round bye. Should be interesting. :thinking:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2008, 01:19 AM
The Colts are just a game behind us with a relatively easy schedule. The first tiebreaker is head to head and they beat us. Should we lose one more and they win out we would be a 3 or 4 seed. Even if we beat the Ravens the #2 seed is still not decided. We would need to also beat the Titans to ensure the first round bye. Should be interesting. :thinking:

Did the Titans clinch the AFC South today?....If so then the Colts can't get the number 2 seed since the bye weeks are reserved for division champions....

Koopa
12-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Did the Titans clinch the AFC South today?....If so then the Colts can't get the number 2 seed since the bye weeks are reserved for division champions....

yeah the titans clinched...........

BlackGold4vr
12-08-2008, 01:39 AM

What was I thinking? You are right. Colts are relegated to a wildcard no matter what they do. Thanks for setting me straight! :lol:

Moondog
12-08-2008, 01:42 AM
The Steelers better get some offense going when they play the Ravens next weekend or they might as well forget it. The Dallas game was good to win especially since the Steelers didn't play their best ball, but man, we can't expect them to keep winning like this unless this Pittsburgh offense starts returning the defense's stellar play with some of their own. The Ravens are playing well right now so the Steelers need to play on all cylinders in order to go to Baltimore and get the win. It's time to rise up and claim what is ours: the AFC north division title!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2008, 01:42 AM
No problem 4ver we all have brain farts......

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 08:17 AM
This is going to be the game of the year, I cannot wait for this matchup. As a fan you love to see this type of scenario play out against a division rival and a team that you love to hate so much. You can bet the Ravens will be ramped up for this one and we will be as well. We pulled out a show stopper yesterday against Dallas to put ourselves in this position so we need to seize the opportunity and take it from them in their own home.

Flacco was inconsistent last night and really didn't do anything until that last TD in the 4th to seal the deal. The Ravens will try and pound pound pound to keep the pass rush pressure off Flacco so we should expect a heavy dose of mcclain, rice, and mcgahee next weekend. Conversely we need to strech that Ravens D out and spread them thin so they can't crowd the line. We've got the weapons to do it but we can't get into a situation where we get behind early on. We need to take the crowd out of it right from the start.

We get the win next weekend and we are set for the playoffs it's as simple as that.

MPYOUNG33
12-08-2008, 08:56 AM
The Offense has to bring its "A" game if we want to get a win against the Ravens. If we can pull this off I will feel pretty confident going into the playoffs.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 11:09 AM
With Tennessee clinching today they know they atleast have a playoff spot and a first round bye. We absolutely must get that other bye, anything other than that and we're going to have an even tougher road considering our running game is inconsistent at best. Our defense is entirely too good and our special teams have come so far to be wasted on such an inconsistent offense. We have to rise above ourselves like we did yesterday find ways to win.

LatrobePA
12-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Tough tough game this weekend! With TN sealing their deal for the PO's they may sit some starters.....

JensK
12-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Well fellas it comes down to next Sunday in Baltimore here finally once and for all. There is so much on the line in this game here in terms of what the Steelers can clinch and set themselves up for if they win this game and what will happen to them should they lose this game and drop out of first place. This is definitely one of the biggest regular season games in years for this Steelers team I believe because so much is at stake. A win by the Steelers not only clinches the AFC North Title but also will clinch a first round bye for the playoffs and at the very worst a number 2 seed. A Jets loss today to the 49ers made this scenario possible to happen next week should the Steelers win. A Steelers win also makes that game in Tennessee the following week huge as well because it will then force the Titans to win that game against the Steelers, and the game the following week in Indianapolis to secure homefield advantage in the playoffs. One more Steelers loss and a Titans win next week in Houston would wrap up homefield advantage and the number 1 overall seed for the Titans.

In contrast however, should the Steelers lose in Baltimore next Sunday the Ravens would then be in first place in the AFC North and hold the tiebraker because they would have the better division record for the time being at 5-1 to the Steelers which would only be 4-1. So while the Ravens wont win the AFC North with a win over the Steelers next week they will certainly make the Steelers lives miserable the last 2 weeks of the season should they win that game. The Steelers would then need to win out against Tennessee and Cleveland and have the Ravens lose either at Dallas which by the way I think will definitely happen, or against the Jags in Baltimore. The bottom line is next week in Baltimore everything the Steelers want and need to get for the playoffs and to make a serious run at the Super Bowl is all right there for them in Baltimore next Sunday. Plus, as I also mentioned a win will still give the Steelers a very legit chance to catch the Titans for that number 1 overall seed in the AFC. A loss puts the Ravens in first place and drops the Steelers to the number 6 seed in the playoffs in the AFC, and no longer puts them in control of their own destiny to win thE AFC North Division which is something you never ever want to have happen. With all that being said, and for everything and so much that is on the line next Sunday in Baltimore this is most definitely a MUST win MUST have game for the Steelers. It's time to break that 6 year drought in Baltimore and take the division crown on their own turf which would make it all the more sweet.

Nice read! :-) Now this is all thoughts because after all we just need to go out and win the game next sunday, but im not sure the scenario you put up is just right (im so sorry if im wrong!)

If the Steelers loose against Ravens next sunday, Steelers will tie the first place with Ravens, however Ravens will lead the AFC North because of a better Division record (5-1 against steelers 4-1). However, Steelers will have Browns left to play in the last round, and we should fairly easy be able to take them out (hands down, if we lose to browns we don't desirve second seed..). Granded that both Steelers and Ravens win out, or lose one and win one each, we'll have a situation looking like this:

Steelers: 12-4 head-to-head 1-1 Div: 5-1 Against same teams: 10-4 Conf: 10-2
Ravens: 12-4 head-to-head 1-1 Div: 5-1 Against same teams: 10-4 Conf: 9-4

Which means that Steelers will win AFC North due to better percentage in Conf. This is if Steelers loose to Ravens and both win out. If we win out, we'll clinch at least the second seed aswell. We could get the first seed aswell, if Titans loose another game expect for the one against Steelers, because we'd be better head-to-head.
As you said, if we win we are sure of the second seed and can make a nice stride for the first seed in AFC with a win over Titans!

conclusion: win the freaking ball-game and get it done.

steelerschick1220
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I am not worred if we don't win this game. I still think that we will beat TN and the Browns amd the Ravens will lose to the Cowboys, so I think we will stil win the divison and get the bye even if we drop this game. Of course, it would be nice to win to get it all tied up but if it doesn't happen i can't say that I will be worried.

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 01:04 PM
This game is going to be ugly. I really cant see either team go over 20 points. and if they do the Def scored a TD. I like us in this because we have Ben, and they have Falco..lol There is going to be hittin going on, and I think we need this because I dont know if we win two road games back to back. Going into Tennessee we are going to be so sore, and I'm not sure we will care all that much about the Titans if we beat the Ravens. We know that we could see them again, and there is no way they beat us twice. Same for the Colts. Beat the Ravens, who cares about the Titans, then crush the Browns for fun. Take the bye, and get ready to grind it out...We need this game on Sunday...

ejsteeler
12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
i don't see Tomlin not caring about the TN game if we beat the ratbirds. I think he will go for the 1st seed all out and will care very much. :2cents:

JensK
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
i don't see Tomlin not caring about the TN game if we beat the ratbirds. I think he will go for the 1st seed all out and will care very much. :2cents:

I hope you are right.. We need to be on a roll comming into the play-offs. No reason to loose anything now!

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I guess that came out wrong. Its not that I dont think Tomlin or anyone else will care if we lose to the Titans, I just think the Ravens game means a lot more to our season. If we beat the Ravens, and lose to the Titans we can still get the 2 seed. If we lose to the Ravens its going to be a lot harder to get that 2 spot.

ejsteeler
12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
I guess that came out wrong. Its not that I dont think Tomlin or anyone else will care if we lose to the Titans, I just think the Ravens game means a lot more to our season. If we beat the Ravens, and lose to the Titans we can still get the 2 seed. If we lose to the Ravens its going to be a lot harder to get that 2 spot.

gotcha. Yep, I looked at it the other way....:grin1:

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I am not worred if we don't win this game. I still think that we will beat TN and the Browns amd the Ravens will lose to the Cowboys, so I think we will stil win the divison and get the bye even if we drop this game. Of course, it would be nice to win to get it all tied up but if it doesn't happen i can't say that I will be worried.

While I do agree with you that all of that can happen should the Steelers lose in Baltimore on Sunday I dont want that to have to be the case. You dont want to start having to rely on help from other teams and the Ravens having to lose one more game in order to win this division. Get everything wrapped up this weekend with the division title and the bye week and at the very worst the number 2 seed, and then it will not make the last 2 games against the Titans and Browns MUST win games just to win the division.

Ill say this much the Steelers had better win this division because as great as this defense is this season and as well as they have played all season long the Steelers are not going to make it to the Super Bowl in my opinion this year if they are a 5 or 6 seed in the playoffs having to win 3 games on the road to get there. With as inept and as inconsistent as this offense has been all season long with Arians and the playcalling, you just cannot expect them to go on the road 3 weeks in a row in the playoffs against the best teams in the AFC and win 3 games no matter how well this Steelers defense is playing. The offense being inconsistent will catch up to them at some point if they have to go on the road 3 straight weeks in one of those game. The bottom line is if the Steelers dont get the bye week and win this AFC North Division and they are forced to have to win 3 games on the road in the playoffs they aren't going to make it to the Super Bowl.

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 05:03 PM
While I do agree with you that all of that can happen should the Steelers lose in Baltimore on Sunday I dont want that to have to be the case. You dont want to start having to rely on help from other teams and the Ravens having to lose one more game in order to win this division. Get everything wrapped up this weekend with the division title and the bye week and at the very worst the number 2 seed, and then it will not make the last 2 games against the Titans and Browns MUST win games just to win the division.

Ill say this much the Steelers had better win this division because as great as this defense is this season and as well as they have played all season long the Steelers are not going to make it to the Super Bowl in my opinion this year if they are a 5 or 6 seed in the playoffs having to win 3 games on the road to get there. With as inept and as inconsistent as this offense has been all season long with Arians and the playcalling, you just cannot expect them to go on the road 3 weeks in a row in the playoffs against the best teams in the AFC and win 3 games no matter how well this Steelers defense is playing. The offense being inconsistent will catch up to them at some point if they have to go on the road 3 straight weeks in one of those game. The bottom line is if the Steelers dont get the bye week and win this AFC North Division and they are forced to have to win 3 games on the road in the playoffs they aren't going to make it to the Super Bowl.
I agree with that. No way do we get a win if we play the Colts in there house. Too much hype for a Manning-Manning SB. We would see more flags thrown at us then we could ever dream. Besides the fact that our O is not so good. we need this extra week. It was different for us before. now I think we benefit from the bye, as were before we failed.

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree with that. No way do we get a win if we play the Colts in there house. Too much hype for a Manning-Manning SB. We would see more flags thrown at us then we could ever dream. Besides the fact that our O is not so good. we need this extra week. It was different for us before. now I think we benefit from the bye, as were before we failed.

Well at this point the only way the Steelers would play against the Colts in Indianapolis in the playoffs is if the Steelers are the 6 seed and the Colts are the 5 seed and they both would win their first 2 road games in the playoffs which is definitely a possiblity with as wide open as this AFC is this season. The Colts cannot win their division since the Titans wrapped things up yesterday. So that would be the only scenario in which the Colts could get a home game in the playoffs. The Colts most likely would end up being the 5 seed ahead of the Steelers if the Steelers do not win the AFC North seeing that they have an easy schedule the rest of the way, and they also own the head to head tiebraker over them with the win they got here in Pittsburgh on November 9th.

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Well at this point the only way the Steelers would play against the Colts in Indianapolis in the playoffs is if the Steelers are the 6 seed and the Colts are the 5 seed and they both would win their first 2 road games in the playoffs which is definitely a possiblity with as wide open as this AFC is this season. The Colts cannot win their division since the Titans wrapped things up yesterday. So that would be the only scenario in which the Colts could get a home game in the playoffs. The Colts most likely would end up being the 5 seed ahead of the Steelers if the Steelers do not win the AFC North seeing that they have an easy schedule the rest of the way, and they also own the head to head tiebraker over them with the win they got here in Pittsburgh on November 9th.Nov 9th was my birthday. they never lose on that day. The Steelers made me look like a jerk for running my mouth about that.

AZ_Steeler
12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
If the Ravens happen to beat the Steelers then their head-to-head is split 1-1... it then goes to the division games which then they both would be 4-1, then would be record fro common games... not sure who has the edge on that one :dunno:

Tie Breaker Method (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11176)

JensK
12-09-2008, 04:07 AM
If the Ravens happen to beat the Steelers then their head-to-head is split 1-1... it then goes to the division games which then they both would be 4-1, then would be record fro common games... not sure who has the edge on that one :dunno:

Tie Breaker Method (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11176)

Nope, Ravens will be 5-1 and steelers will be 4-1. Steelers will play Browns though and then they'll be 5-1. The scenario looks like this, if Ravens beat steelers, and they both win out:

Steelers: 12-4 head-to-head 1-1 Div: 5-1 Against same teams: 10-4 Conf: 10-2
Ravens: 12-4 head-to-head 1-1 Div: 5-1 Against same teams: 10-4 Conf: 9-4

Ive even listed them in order of the Tie breaker rules :)

Steelers70
12-09-2008, 09:51 AM
This will be the true smash-mouth game of football this Sunday. The two top ranked defenses in the NFL both with outstanding QBs and other weapons. Should be low scoring and close. A gut clenching game that will only be decided at the very end unless something strange happens that allows one team to run away with the game, which I don't forsee honestly.

Ron Cook with the PPG says 6-3 or 2-0 final score... I doubt he's too far off the mark. If our offensive line is ever going to prove they deserve to be here it's this week. We need our QB on his feet making plays. The Ravens are weak against quick short hot route plays and we should use the hurry up offense and no huddle as much as possible to tire out their defense. Our defense needs to keep their heads about them and not go for any kind of revenge after the injuries the last time they met. Flacco is very successful in short drop passes to the outside and we probably need to do our most exotic schemes in this game. Like the last play against Dallas. In all my years of football I've seen only a handful of defense schemes as beautiful as that one against Whitten that resulted in the game winning TD. For a rookie, Flacco is good, but I'm betting he's no match for constantly changing defense.

This game could come down to who's got the better coordinators. In defense it's us. In offense it's them. I'm totally psyched about this game.

-Steelers70

steelerschick1220
12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I am excited about this game. I think ten points may win the thing. :)

AZ_Steeler
12-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I kind of like these seedings here... I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers plat the Coltsor Broncos in Pittsburgh!

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nfl_experts__9/ept_sports_nfl_experts-13596039-1228807195.jpg?ymbA7cADCk6QSX1y

ejsteeler
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
:crossfingers: Lets hope we can keep our spot or even move up one. :crossfingers:

JensK
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Seriously.. Ravens or Patriots at home wouldnt be bad at all! And then Broncos, Colts or Titans at home.. It wouldnt be too bad at all :)

AZ_Steeler
12-09-2008, 01:50 PM
TO get the Titans at home the Steelers need to win out and the Titans need to lose one other game besides the one they will lose to the Steelers ;)

steelcitysfinestXL
12-09-2008, 05:49 PM
This game is a HUGE measuring stick as well... The Dallas game was also a huge measuring stick. Dallas had more at stake than we did due to their division/confrence. For the steelers, it was an oppurtunity to take down a top offense like they had failed to do against the Mannings! This game is more than seeding and pairing... 2-out-of the last 3 SB champs did it as 6 seeds on the road (us '06 NYG '08) As nice as it would be to get HFA with a #1 or #2 seed, i think its more important to prove as a team:

-They CAN win BIG games
-They CAN play in ANY hostile environment (sp.)
-They CAN do it week in and week out

As, said before in this post, it would be great to keep stacking wins and building confidence. We were a 10-6 team that limped into the playoffs last year and got handled at home in the 1st round. Even if we had to play on the road, i think we all know they importance to be playing your BEST football heading INTO the playoffs. Thats why we need to beat whomever is on our schedule... be it BAL,TEN and/or CLE!

AZ_Steeler
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
FYI... A Steelers loss this weekend and a Colts win will drop the Steelers to the 6th seed.

Dean Denton
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
We have to win this. it sucks that it has to be so tough on a team that has had it so tough all year, but....would any of you want it any other way? The Steelers VS The Ravens for the AFCN, in a huge showdown that will gives us blood and guts. The only thing that I hate about this is, that we may end up seeing these turds in the playoffs,and you all know how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in a year. not sure how the seeding will work itself out, but I see the Ravens coming back to Pittsburgh for that 3rd game. Please let it be the Colts..........

steelcitysfinestXL
12-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Right now the Colts are ahead of the Ravens in the AFC. The colts have Det,JAC and TEN. Most likely they will win the first two. DEPENDING on what TEN does in the next 3 weeks will determine how long they play there starters in week 17. Better believe the Colts will be in a must win situation. IMO unless we unseat the Titans, if it came down to it, we would be facing the higher seeded Colts,Jets or Broncos in round 2 sending BAL to TEN in round 2. I really dont see us meeting again until the AFCC only if the Ravens beat the Titan who they already lost to once at home this year. (providing we make it that far too)

Dean Denton
12-09-2008, 06:22 PM
i would rather the Ravens go play the Titans. Two ugly teams that can go beat up on eachother. I want one more shot at that poster boy Manning, and his little Opi Taylor brother out there in NY. Two Rematches two victories.....Manning bitches will fall....

brycey3675
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
If the steelers do lose and "the key word is if" the steelers were the only team to win the super bowl as a six seed. and i dont think the steelers will lose to the ravens :nono: so go steelers lets beat the grabage ravens :tt02: right know how it looks the steelers are # 1 in are divison so lets hope the steelers stay that way.:tt02::tt02::cope::cope::helmet::yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2008, 10:25 AM
FYI... A Steelers loss this weekend and a Colts win will drop the Steelers to the 6th seed.

We can still win the division even if we lose this weekend, which we won't, so long as we win out the last 2 against Tenn. and Cleve. Winning this game though of course gives us at the very least the #2 seed and a chance at the #1 seed if we were to win out since we play Tenn although they'd have to lose 2 of their final 3 for that happen...realistically though being the #2 seed is just fine with me the important thing is this game this weekend.

The players are ready and they know what's at stake. They are ready to exercise the Purple demon at Ratbird stadium and show those assjacking criminals that we're still the kings of the AFCN! :ratbirdssuck: