PDA

View Full Version : 2 of many Horrific calls on offense

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
1. You NEVER NEVER NEVER go for it when you're down by 10 in the 4th quarter when you have a chance to kick the FG like that. We could have closed the gap to a 1 possession game, and with the way our offense was going that was just about the worst play call you could have at the time. especially after we worked so hard to get that far.

2. Running for it on 4th down right up the middle with Davis no less, who hasn't done **** all year and every Cowboy defender knew what we were going to do. Davis gets stuffed and loses yards and we're still down by 10.

You can blame Tomlin or Arians or both but those 2 were just absolutely mind numbingly terrible calls.

Ambridge
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
1. You NEVER NEVER NEVER go for it when you're down by 10 in the 4th quarter when you have a chance to kick the FG like that. We could have closed the gap to a 1 possession game, and with the way our offense was going that was just about the worst play call you could have at the time. especially after we worked so hard to get that far.

2. Running for it on 4th down right up the middle with Davis no less, who hasn't done shiat all year and every Cowboy defender knew what we were going to do. Davis gets stuffed and loses yards and we're still down by 10.

You can blame Tomlin or Arians or both but those 2 were just absolutely mind numbingly terrible calls.

I agree!!

When they didn't make the 4th down play instead of going for the FG.....I had pretty much kissed this game bye-bye.:duh:

Aside from not being sound strategy the Steelers have got pretty much stuffed when they've tried to convert short yardage this season so what would lead Tomlin/Arians to think anything is going to be different in this game??:duh:

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Sometimes ya gotta play outside the norm, any coach should have enough faith in his offense to get a yard !! As far as playcalling we all been questioning that all year!!

Stairwayto7
12-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Thats a tough call! I agree with the field goal, especially after we didn`t get it. But if we would have made it, we would have thought it was the greatest call of the game. We did always bitch about Cowher being conservative.
Should we have kicked the FG, YES!
If we would have got the TD, Tomlin would have been a hero!

igor0190
12-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Going for it on fourth down was a good call imo. Only because we have an amazing defense to back us up if we turn it over on downs.
The play call on fourth was absolutely terrible. You at least have to put a full back in the backfield. I'm assuming that was all Arians who called that.

LarryNJ
12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
But Tomlim figured that his d would stop them and get great field position. They did get one first down but than punted. That did work out thanks to Holmes return.

But the FG was the thing to do. The other problem was the 3 calls before 4th down.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
That had to be Tomlin's thinking, "well hey if we don't make it our defense will bail us out again". That's all well and good but at some point you have to think ahead and not put your D in that position ALL the time. When you have a chance to get points when you haven't scored any all game long except for the one lone FG you must take them.

If you offense is playing well then maybe you consider going for it on 4th down like that but offense was terrible all game long up to that point.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
A point to make here the Steelers going for it on that fourth and goal allowed the D to play a Dallas O backed up which allowed our offense an short field to do down for the field goal try to make it 13-6.....I had no problem with going it on 4th and goal......

Stairwayto7
12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
But Tomlim figured that his d would stop them and get great field position. They did get one first down but than punted. That did work out thanks to Holmes return.

AH Yes! Homes return, I almost forgot! That was huge!

OC Steel Curtain
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
LOL.. a wins a win.. ill take those calls all day as long as we win

steelmaniac
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
yeah your right but stranger things have happened you also "well if your a cowboy fan" don't count your chickens b-4 they hatch i think after thaty stop they might have thought they had the game all sewed up.....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Something els you all might have noticed...Ben didn't roll out much at all, if at all period unless he was under pressure and had to scramble. When the defense is getting that much pressure it makes sense to roll your QB out to buy some more time. Besides the fact that they didn't go to the no huddle until the game was nearly over. Anybody with half a brain knows when you're struggling on offense the best thing to do is up the tempo and allow your guys to go no huddle and put the defense on their heals.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Winning Ugly should be the offense motto......lol

igor0190
12-07-2008, 09:29 PM
I agree with calling some rollouts... I mean a chosen rollout is better than Ben being forced to scramble to the outside.

Arians is just terrible... I think it's time for Tomlin to throw him under the bus.

jpele
12-07-2008, 10:52 PM
2. Running for it on 4th down right up the middle with Davis no less, who hasn't done shiat all year and every Cowboy defender knew what we were going to do. Davis gets stuffed and loses yards and we're still down by 10.

What is Davis still doing on our roster? He must have compromising photos of Tomlin or something. I remember a TE named McHugh that looked pretty good playing fullback , maybe he blocked to well for arians taste, we all know what he done to Krider for being a good blocker.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2008, 10:58 PM
What is Davis still doing on our roster? He must have compromising photos of Tomlin or something. I remember a TE named McHugh that looked pretty good playing fullback , maybe he blocked to well for arians taste, we all know what he done to Krider for being a good blocker.

McHugh is a much better blocker then Davis....I don't know why Davis is on the roster either......He really hasn't impressed at all in two years with the team.....

Troyisabeast_43
12-08-2008, 12:58 AM
McHugh is a much better blocker then Davis....I don't know why Davis is on the roster either......He really hasn't impressed at all in two years with the team.....

I mentioned this as well 32 in a post last week that Davis has no business even being on the roster because the guy is like a piece of cardboard he is completely useless. He adds nothing, couldnt even take a one yard pass from Ben on the goaline in the game today and execute it well enough to get in for the Touchdown. I agree it's time to bite the bullett with Carey Davis and find somebody who is capable of playing the fullback position a lot better becuase Davis plays it quite lousy to be honest with you...

Moondog
12-08-2008, 01:50 AM
It ended up all right in the end, but I did think they should have kicked the FG at that point in the game.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-08-2008, 02:12 AM

The play calling was on Bruce:rant2: Tomlin should of stepped in an over ruled that:yesnod:, but in the end it worked out :yellowthumb:So :clap:i'm happy:clap:

Steel Trap86
12-08-2008, 05:02 AM

ya man after the game i was just happy to get the win and move on to 10-3 and i over reacted, but the reality is, the steelers had some real sh!tty play calling and lacked any rythem AND was once again stuffed at the goal line on 4th & goal. if the steelers didnt have such an explosive defense, they could even be out of playoff contention right now. i thnk we can call thank the defense once again for this one

NCSteeler
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm all for going for it on the goal line. I'll take our d with a team backed up in the endzone and day any down. What I thought about the play calling on 3rd and goal and 4th and goal is another thing. Quit trying to get too cute and give the damn ball to russell on any down and one to go. I thought from previous comments that Tomlin agreed with this and then we get down there and do stupid stuff.

AZ_Steeler
12-08-2008, 02:12 PM
I can understand going for the touchdown on 4th and goal on the 1 and down by 10. They are that close and might be their only shot to get it down inside the 5 again so why not try for the quick 6... things worked out in the end but that was a gutsy call that didn't work but doesn't matter.

While speaking of that play though if you go back and watch it again, they showed an angle from behind and Ben had a huge whole off to the left of center he could have easily scored :dunno:

SteelfordWexler
12-08-2008, 02:29 PM
If I remember right - they moved the FB out of the backfield on that play. That leaves so little room for error up front in short yardard particularly. Run blitz killed that play w/out that extra blocker.

pittn8tve
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I would just like to see a little mix up in the play calling when we are on the door step! I told the wife as soon as we had the first in goal to watch "1st down run 2nd down run 3rd down pass 4th down run up the middle stuffed." i know these teams we are playing watch video every week before playing us do we really think they won't notice we run the same plays every time we are threatning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!