PDA

View Full Version : You can thank the Defense for win against the Cowboys

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Our offense was absolutely dreadful, I mean seriously beyond horrifically bad for 3 1/2 quarters but our guys hung tough and continued to make play after play and keep us in this game.

TO was a non factor except for the TD, Ike did a great job on him. Our secondary was getting some good hits in but still this was a total team effort on defense to save the day. We owe our entire season to our defensive unit and every one of them deserves the team MVP if you ask me. Harrison and Wood started getting pressure in the 2nd half and once they dialed in on Romo they were able to take over. The only bad thing was that TD play to TO but that was just a terrific play by Romo to keep the play alive. Other than that we can thank our lucky stars that our D is as good as advertised week in and week out.

Troy was just all over the place and is leading the league in INT's now.

BlitzburghNation
12-07-2008, 08:37 PM
you can say that again TG ,,,,,,, :popcorn:
We should've blown the cowpatties out,but i'll take it ,,,,,a win is a win and everyone knows that DEFENSE wins championships :towelwave:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Hell Yea thank the defense and also Tony Romo for totally shitting the bed against our defense......Great job by the defense...I hope Big Ben is buying the entire D something nice for Christmas.....

ejsteeler
12-07-2008, 08:43 PM
100% correct. Problem is, we cannot expect the D to save our arsses through the playoffs. We need offenst to get ahead and being to manage the clock. Then only time Ben was calling the plays we started moving. Get Arians the f*** out of there!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 08:44 PM
And a HUGE thank you to Townsend for that INT and the go ahead score. If he doesn't return that for a TD there's no guarantee we would have done anything to even kick the FG.

Our defense dug deep and hung tight, and really just made the plays. Romo tanked and just couldn't do anything. Choice though, you have to credit that boy, he played his tail off but it wasn't quite enough when he had next to no help.

ejsteeler
12-07-2008, 08:46 PM
You got that right TG. Choice surprised me and showed some real promise.

LarryNJ
12-07-2008, 08:49 PM
You are right TG the defense did it again. I hope some way somehow, we can get the O to turn it around.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Damn that Defense is sick..Polamalu is a beast and continues to amaze me. If we only had an offense..willie parker has been a joke, if's he's not healthy or whatever then you might as well let russell or get dookie back and tote the rock and atleast punish some people.

ShipHockey7
12-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks Steelers, check out the avatar for why!

ejsteeler
12-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Steelers, check out the avatar for why!

Yeah, it's a shame they weren't good enough to do it themselves.....:yesnod:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
And a HUGE thank you to Townsend for that INT and the go ahead score. If he doesn't return that for a TD there's no guarantee we would have done anything to even kick the FG.

Our defense dug deep and hung tight, and really just made the plays. Romo tanked and just couldn't do anything. Choice though, you have to credit that boy, he played his tail off but it wasn't quite enough when he had next to no help.

The defense was fantastic and forced Romo to tank.......Townsend with a clutch play.....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 09:34 PM
We talked about all week that if you get in Romo's face and put the game on his shoulders to win it that he can't handle the pressure. Couple that with our D playing out of their minds today it was just too much to overcome.

Dallas came in as the #9 ranked defense and they played like it today by shutting us down nearly the whole game. Our guys though, man are they just flat out fun to watch or what!!! On any given play there's a different guy stepping up to get it done. That's what you love to see.

jpele
12-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Finally caught an interception, that has to be worth something.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Ike was all over TO on single coverage almost the entire game. He stayed with him stride for stride and took him out time after time. The pass rush helped that alot but credit Ike for a solid game.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Ike was all over TO on single coverage almost the entire game. He stayed with him stride for stride and took him out time after time. The pass rush helped that alot but credit Ike for a solid game.

Ike is always solid in coverage for the most part....Sure some games he takes his lumps...His only issue is holding onto INT's....Ike caught one today......lol....Really the only dropped INT that really hurt this year was that tip to Wayne for a TD against the Colts...lol

Ike is the man and really what a great pick since he was a 4th round pick from a small school.......:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah he's come a long way since the Cowher benching. Lebeau isn't afraid to put him one on one vs the offenses best WR and let them go at it all day. LIke you said he'll give one up now and then but overall he's solid and Im sure glad we got him.

scott0326
12-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Ike was all over TO on single coverage almost the entire game. He stayed with him stride for stride and took him out time after time. The pass rush helped that alot but credit Ike for a solid game.:yellowthumb: Ike played a great game and he finally caught the ball!:tt02: He played great overall, the only bad play wasn't really his fault, I mean I doubt anyone can cover T.O for the 10 seconds or however long Romo was running around buying time.

Moondog
12-08-2008, 02:26 AM
I tell you guys what, I was out at the game today and Dallas pretty much kept the crowd on ice until that fourth quarter then all hell broke loose. For the last five minutes or so of that game, I don't think there was one person in their seat. It was good to get the win, but, man oh man, I wish we could see some consistent offensive play! I guess, at least, the offense delivered to get the game tied but they wasted all kinds of opportunities especially in the first half. The way the defense was playing, this could of been a blowout or at least an easier win. In the end though, the Steelers are 10-3 and I'll take it and I'll also keep hoping against hope that thier offense can finally join the stellar play of the D and the special teams coverage!

Stairwayto7
12-08-2008, 06:48 AM
TG is right! But it was nice to see Ben and the O, come alive when we needed them most. That 50 yard pass to Holmes was sweet, and provided some much needed fire. Then Washingtons catch, when he got twisted around, and was hurt, or not hurt, when he jumped up I think also gave our offense some life. We have to see more offense before its too late. Ben has to get in sync.

greennick
12-08-2008, 08:53 AM
"You can thank the defence for this one"

I think you can say that for almost every game we have played this year...

They have made the big plays at the right times that have allowed us to get the W.

JensK
12-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Seriously, against the pats, they had two delayed hand-offs against us, and it resulted in two big gains. Same against Dallas. Everytime they used a delayed hand-off against us, they almost always got a semi big gain. Against ravens we really need to fix this. We need to shut down their run COMPLETELY or else we are done for. We don't put points on the board on offence, and we can't affort them to control the ball. Any thoughts?

LatrobePA
12-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Thoughts: It'll stop when big 99 is back. They are running though his gap! That one will be a simple fix IMO!

AZ_Steeler
12-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Watching the game you just had a feeling that the Steelers D was going to have to do something to help propel this team to a win and that is exactly what the D did. :cope:

RW318
12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Honestly? The WRs were open plenty of time but Romo was letting far to many of his passes sail on him. If you have the game on DVR....go ahead and check it again. I mean they did a good job...both defenses did....and your defense did win the game....but come on.

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 08:21 PM
The Cowboys Offense was getting wore out late in the game. You could see it. It really was like a good prise fight. Thats why Tomlin gambled on the 4th and goal. He knew we would get the ball back. Well, thats what he told me last night when he called me after the game. Could be BS, you know how he can be....

LatrobePA
12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Anyone see this? Romo is a Homo!!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-6-70/Steelers-claiming-Romo-remark-inspired-them.html

LarryNJ
12-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Tie game with a minute left and some momentum on the Steelers side. I doubt very much that any comment Romo made made a difference. They didn't need to be inspired. But it certainly sounds good after the fact! :yellowthumb::clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Who knows why he said it but hey, if the defense took offense to it that's all the better. Anything and everything you can use to dig down deep with the game on the line is always a good thing.

I wouldn't doubt that Lebeau had a good idea of the play they were going to run when they lined up based on the film study that week. That's what's great about Lebeau, he knows how to put his guys in a position to make plays at just the right time.

yinzer
12-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Anyone see this? Romo is a Homo!!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-6-70/Steelers-claiming-Romo-remark-inspired-them.html

romo is a homo for sure! he loves to play the skin flute!

HUNT4SEVEN
12-10-2008, 11:43 AM
I think what Homo said did make them a little mad:yesnod:.they disrespected them the whole 1st halve trying to go for it on 4th down:tt02:,I also found out that they are an bunch of cry babies also:lol:

RW318
12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I also found out that they are an bunch of cry babies also:lol:

"The refs hate us :crying:...they let everyone get away with everything but the steelers:crying:" Hmmmmm.....

JensK
12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
"The refs hate us :crying:...they let everyone get away with everything but the steelers:crying:" Hmmmmm.....

Someone bitter much?

LatrobePA
12-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Man your sig. has to be hard to look at! Poor Romo the homo!:cope::yellowthumb:

BR7
12-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Man your sig. has to be hard to look at! Poor Romo the homo!:cope::yellowthumb:

He throws a pick 6 two seconds later.. thats why it cuts off at the end. :haha:

LatrobePA
12-10-2008, 05:06 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8921612_18_1.jpg
ROMO YOU F'N SUCK!!

Stlrs4Life
12-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I've been saying all season long, if we had half an offense, we would be dangerous.

K Train
12-10-2008, 05:26 PM
we do have half an offense? why do you say we dont? because dallas stopped us from moving on a cold windy *** day?

Dean Denton
12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Dont forget to thank Romo too. If not for him being soooo bad, we might not have had a chance. i wopuld also like to give a shot out to Jerry Jones for being so involved in what goes on on the field. He has done a great job with helping his team from winning a playoff game since 1996.....gay...lol

ejsteeler
12-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Link to story (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80d33311&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Steelers do LeBeau proud
By Ray Didinger | NFL Films

When you watch this Game of the Week, pay particular attention to Troy Polamalu's interception. It is a marvelous play. The Pittsburgh safety fully extendeds to pull down Tony Romo's pass and raise his league-leading interception total to seven.

Steelers 20, Cowboys 13
NFL Films takes you inside the sights and sounds from the Steelers' Week 14 win over the Cowboys.
But it doesn't end there.

The NFL Films long lens camera shows Polamalu catching the ball and getting both feet down before stepping out of bounds and into the embrace of defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. Look at the joy on LeBeau's face as he congratulates Polamalu. It's the best part of the shot, because it tells you everything about one of football's most enduring figures.

This is LeBeau's 50th consecutive year in the National Football League. Think about that for a moment. He has been in the game as a player and a coach for half a century. Dwight Eisenhower was president when LeBeau broke in with the Detroit Lions. Bert Bell was the NFL commissioner. Babe Ruth still held all the home run records.

All those years, all those games, yet it is clear that LeBeau enjoys it as much today as he did when he was a 6-foot, 185-pound cornerback picking off passes thrown by John Unitas and Norm Van Brocklin. Football has been his whole life. The game is richer for it.

LeBeau played 14 seasons and set the league record for most consecutive games played at cornerback (171). His 62 interceptions ranks eighth on the NFL's all-time list. It is an impressive resumé, one that puts LeBeau among the best players of his era, yet he is even more accomplished as a coach. He is one of the game's great innovators, the creator of the zone blitz which he introduced more than 20 years ago.

LeBeau stepped directly from the playing field to the coaching ranks, retiring as a player following the 1972 season and taking a job as special teams coach with the Philadelphia Eagles. In the 36 years since then -- as a defensive backfield coach, coordinator, assistant head coach (Buffalo, 2003) and head coach (Cincinnati 2000-02) -- he has worn many hats.

It is fitting that in this, his golden anniversary year, LeBeau is having his best season. His Pittsburgh defense ranks first in the NFL against both the run and the pass (no defense has done that for an entire season since the 1991 Eagles) and slso leads the league in fewest points allowed (183).

No wonder the Steelers are 10-3 and leading the way in the AFC North.

LeBeau has produced a top 10 defense in each of the past six seasons while coaching for three different teams. The address may change, the players may change, but with LeBeau calling the shots, the results are the same. He has been to four Super Bowls -- twice with the Bengals, twice with the Steelers -- and finally won his first ring in 2006.

In this Game of the Week, a 20-13 win over Dallas, LeBeau's defense gave a glimpse of what could be another championship season. On a frigid day at Heinz Field, the Steelers shut down the Cowboys, forcing five turnovers and sacking Romo three times.

Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who has flourished in LeBeau's zone blitz scheme, tied the club record with his 15th sack of the season. The winning touchdown came on a 25-yard interception return by cornerback Deshea Townsend. Some called it an ugly win, but the look on LeBeau's face said otherwise.

To the old cornerback, it was a thing of beauty.

I know we've hit this topic a few times already, he can't get enough kudos if you ask me. A shoe-in for the HOF if there ever was one. :yesnod:

HUNT4SEVEN
12-11-2008, 03:00 PM
62 Int's at an time they didn't throw the ball alot is impressive:yellowthumb: Dick.l is the man, our defense is better because of his knowledge of the game:yellowthumb:It's an shame he's not in the HOF:evilshake:

RW318
12-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Someone bitter much?

Responding to stupid posts....which is why I'm responding so much after the game. "Steelers got screwed by the refs against the Cowboys" "Steelers never cry about it and neither do the fans" "Cowboys were faking injuries" "Ware can't do anything but rush the passer".....I could go on and on....

Dean Denton
12-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Responding to stupid posts....which is why I'm responding so much after the game. "Steelers got screwed by the refs against the Cowboys" "Steelers never cry about it and neither do the fans" "Cowboys were faking injuries" "Ware can't do anything but rush the passer".....I could go on and on....
Is your mouth open because my zipper is twitching?

jpele
12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Excellent read, thanks for sharing.

ejsteeler
12-11-2008, 08:50 PM

:blah: Seems to me, we got the Win! I've never heard cowgirl fans complain...., or their players for that matter....:whatever:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-11-2008, 10:53 PM
There is no better defensive coach in the game today than Lebeau IMO. Every team that runs the 34 or any version of it is doing so because of him.

BlitzburghNation
12-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Been alot of discussion on sirius about LeBeau not being in the HOF :popcorn:

Everyone on sirius always give him high props & they all ay he needs to be in the Hall :bigthumb:

RW318
12-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Is your mouth open because my zipper is twitching?

That's "restared"

ejsteeler
12-12-2008, 11:44 AM
That's "restared"

:lol: so is your spelling :lol: assuming you were trying to spell retarded anyway. :cope:

RW318
12-12-2008, 03:20 PM
nope....i was quoting the person above me from a previous post

ejsteeler
12-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I gotcha.
you guys are going to have a tough game this week. Especially with TO distracting everyone with his nonsense.

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I gotcha.
you guys are going to have a tough game this week. Especially with TO distracting everyone with his nonsense.

I still think the Cowboys get um. the giants could be heading for a tail spin. If its all on Eli, they fold. I can see it coming. I know they have great OL, and Def, but missing your two best weapons? I dont know.

ejsteeler
12-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Going to be the second of two great games on Sunday. :yesnod:

Dean Denton
12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Going to be the second of two great games on Sunday. :yesnod:
Yeah i think so. looking forward to the games.