PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Cowboys feature high-profile QBs

Reg
12-04-2008, 11:16 AM
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 4, 2008

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo played in the same foursome at a celebrity golf tournament this summer at Lake Tahoe.

The two have many things in common, aside from a love of golf.

They are the faces of flagship franchises. They play for teams with rabid fans who toast and occasionally roast them. They have transcended their sport in their respective city. They have been romantically linked to other celebrities.

The similarities between the two don't end there.

"We're both kind of the risky, gunslinger-type, if you will," Roethlisberger said.

Heinz Field seems like an unlikely place for the two to stage a shootout Sunday for several reasons, not the least of which is the Steelers' propensity for turning opposing quarterbacks into punching bags. All eyes, however, will be on Roethlisberger and Romo, as the teams that have combined to win 10 Super Bowls meet for the first time since 2004.

Fortunately for the Steelers and Cowboys, neither quarterback has shown an aversion to the spotlight.

Roethlisberger won a Super Bowl before his 25th birthday, and Romo is in the process of re-writing the Cowboys' record books.

The latter has become something of a crossover star, given that he is almost as likely to pop up in the tabloids as in sports magazines. That is what happens when you date a pop singer such as Jessica Simpson -- and become as adept at dodging paparazzi as you do opposing pass rushers.

Roethlisberger is not exactly a hermit when he is away from the Steelers' South Side training facility, but even he suggested that all of the attention Romo receives might be a little suffocating.

"I don't mean this to sound rude, but he's asking for it," Roethlisberger said. "He's dating high-profile, he's doing all the stuff he wants to do. That's the life that he chooses to live off the football field, and that's his choice."

Asked if Romo has become more of a celebrity than a quarterback, Steelers safety Ryan Clark said, "I don't know. I had to stop reading US Weekly and all of that stuff. I felt kind of feminine, so I really haven't been up on it. I do know that's he's an awesome quarterback."

The numbers back up Clark's claim.

Romo leads the NFL in passer rating (103.2), has six 300-yard passing games and has thrown 21 touchdown passes (and just eight interceptions) despite missing three games with a broken pinkie.

For all of the gaudy numbers he has put up, the one thing Romo hasn't done is won enough -- or at least won when it matters.

The Cowboys are 0-2 in playoff games he has started, and one of the most successful franchises in NFL history has not won a postseason game since 1996.

Like everything else in his life, such as questions about Simpson and wide receiver Terrell Owens -- the real diva in his life -- Romo takes the Cowboys' postseason failures in stride.

"I just don't sit back and read and listen and all of that stuff, and I try not to make it bigger than it is," Romo said. "I play a game for a living. I'm pretty lucky to do that. I figure as long as you work as hard as you can, I can accept that outcome. What else are you supposed to do?"

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Dean Denton
12-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I think there is a huge difference between these two. I am not sold on romo, I dont care what his numbers say. The number that sticks out for me is playoff wins. 0... He chokes, and his most memorable moment is fumbling a field goal try. That is Romo no matter what he does on Sunday, and he still needs to prove he can win a big game in the playoffs. until that day, to me he is overpaid, and over rated. What QB wouldn't have big numbers with those WR? all he hasd to do is toss it up. Ben is a proven winner with big game victories under his belt. Romo is just another QB. Hell, Breeze has good numbers too, but I would never trade Ben for either one of those guys.

rocyaice
12-04-2008, 02:25 PM
I think there is a huge difference between these two. I am not sold on romo, I dont care what his numbers say. The number that sticks out for me is playoff wins. 0... He chokes, and his most memorable moment is fumbling a field goal try. That is Romo no matter what he does on Sunday, and he still needs to prove he can win a big game in the playoffs. until that day, to me he is overpaid, and over rated. What QB wouldn't have big numbers with those WR? all he hasd to do is toss it up. Ben is a proven winner with big game victories under his belt. Romo is just another QB. Hell, Breeze has good numbers too, but I would never trade Ben for either one of those guys.

Romo's only been in 2 playoff games lol. The 1st year he had only 7 or 8 games under his belt right before the playoffs came. I just think its laughable how everyone talks about Romo being a choker when A)he's only been in 2 playoff games and B) he's never choked at quarterback. He fumbled a snap and almost ran it in for a touchdown. If the Cowboys fail in the playoffs it won't be because of him.

And as far as waht qb wouldn't have big numbers with those receivers? Well Bledsoe couldn't do it and well we saw Brooks Bollinger and Brad Johnson. They collectively couldn't score more than 7 points together. You can have all the pro bowlers you want but if you can't get the ball to them its pointless.

Dean Denton
12-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Romo's only been in 2 playoff games lol. The 1st year he had only 7 or 8 games under his belt right before the playoffs came. I just think its laughable how everyone talks about Romo being a choker when A)he's only been in 2 playoff games and B) he's never choked at quarterback. He fumbled a snap and almost ran it in for a touchdown. If the Cowboys fail in the playoffs it won't be because of him.

And as far as waht qb wouldn't have big numbers with those receivers? Well Bledsoe couldn't do it and well we saw Brooks Bollinger and Brad Johnson. They collectively couldn't score more than 7 points together. You can have all the pro bowlers you want but if you can't get the ball to them its pointless.
Romo was the reason they lost to the giants last year. He sucked, and he choked. The team around him didn't fail, he did. Bledsoe is by far a better QB then Romo, just not at the time he was playing there. He was finished at that point. And yes Romo is better then most back ups, but does that mean he elite? I think not. Just because you got a big wee wee doesn't mean you can F*$%. Romo needs to win big games, and lead his team to victory.

rocyaice
12-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Romo was the reason they lost to the giants last year. He sucked, and he choked. The team around him didn't fail, he did. Bledsoe is by far a better QB then Romo, just not at the time he was playing there. He was finished at that point. And yes Romo is better then most back ups, but does that mean he elite? I think not. Just because you got a big wee wee doesn't mean you can F*$%. Romo needs to win big games, and lead his team to victory.

Cowboys were put in positions to beat the Giants numerous times. Patrick Crayton who rarely drops the football decided to drop 2 balls straight in his hand. TO didn't play well but he tried to rush back from that ankle injury but he wasn't even 50% out there. It was a collective effort for the loss. But Romo put them in a position to win twice and they dropped the ball.

I'm not expecting for you to say Romo is better than Ben R but he's the real deal. He's a solid qb in this league. The Steelers players themselves have said as much. Romo is a top 5 qb in this league. Anyone who says otherwise just has hate in their veins. To take that next level he needs to get a playoff victory. But first we have to get in the playoffs.

Dean Denton
12-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Ben, Brady, Mannings 1 and 2, Cutler, Breeze, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Warner, Garcia, Leftwich, Rogers, Farve, and I'm sure that there are some that I am leaving out, but all I would choose over Romo. Stats dont tell the story more than big wins, and how well a QB deals with pressure. Romo I will not rule out of being a big game QB in the future, but the players above I think already are or are going to be far better them Romo.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Until you win playoff games and prove your worth in the postseason in some fashion you can't be referred to an elite QB in this league. Im not saying Romo can't win playoff games but so far he hasn't proven it so we shall see. He's young and has a lot to learn yet as to most of the young QB's in this league but at this point I'll take Ben in a hot second over Romo no matter what the situation.

rocyaice
12-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Ben, Brady, Mannings 1 and 2, Cutler, Breeze, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Warner, Garcia, Leftwich, Rogers, Farve, and I'm sure that there are some that I am leaving out, but all I would choose over Romo. Stats dont tell the story more than big wins, and how well a QB deals with pressure. Romo I will not rule out of being a big game QB in the future, but the players above I think already are or are going to be far better them Romo.

Why would you take McNabb when he's choked more in the post season or shall I say Super Bowl than most of those guys have choked in their whole career? You'd seriously take Leftwich, Rogers, Favre, Cutler, Brees and Hasselbeck over Romo? Why? Especally Leftwich lol? And Cutler hasn't done anything in this league yet if you want to discredit Romo. Jeff Garcia? Goodness. I'll give you Brady and Peyton. Maybe even Ben R. I'm shocked you didn't bring up Carson Palmer. He's better than most of those guys you listed.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Favre for sure, Brees as well. Cutler would be about 50-50 for me. Palmer when he's healthy and protected is as good as any QB in the league. Obvioulsy this year he's been hurt and the Bengals aer a trainwreck but his previous track record is pretty impressive considering how many bad teams he's played on. Right now Romo is no better or worse than Rogers who's actually having a really good year even though the Pack have started a downward spiral he's a bright spot on that team.

Dean Denton
12-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Why would you take McNabb when he's choked more in the post season or shall I say Super Bowl than most of those guys have choked in their whole career? You'd seriously take Leftwich, Rogers, Favre, Cutler, Brees and Hasselbeck over Romo? Why? Especally Leftwich lol? And Cutler hasn't done anything in this league yet if you want to discredit Romo. Jeff Garcia? Goodness. I'll give you Brady and Peyton. Maybe even Ben R. I'm shocked you didn't bring up Carson Palmer. He's better than most of those guys you listed.McNabb has played in 4 straight NFC title games, and a SB. He is the reason that team got there. Yeah, he gave up in the SB IMO, but he is still a winner, and has been winnng since he came into the league. I like Hasselfag, and I think if you put him on a better team, say Giants, he would have better numbers then Eli. If you stuck Romo behind the Steelers OL, he would have been out in week 2 or 3. He broke a nail, and had to sit 3 games. Cutler has just has many playoff wins as Romo, and to me looks better tossing that rock. I hate Denver, and it kills me to say this but Cutler could end up being the best QB within 4 years. Farve's body of work speaks for itself, and Leftwich's toughness and heart to me is a far bigger attribute then anything Romo brings to the table. Besides the fact he has a hose for an arm, and is pretty dang accurate. Same thing with Palmer who I forgot about. And there is no maybe with Ben. He is better then Romo. Romo has done nothing in this league, and has no playoff wins to hang a hat on. What is Romo best known for on the football field? I say its a fumbled snap to help his team win a playoff game. Now ask that same question about Ben......

DBR96A
12-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I'd rate Ben Roethlisberger between 3rd- and 5th-best in the NFL. I'd rate Tony Romo between 4th- and 7th-best in the NFL.

Dean Denton
12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd rate Ben Roethlisberger between 3rd- and 5th-best in the NFL. I'd rate Tony Romo between 4th- and 7th-best in the NFL.

Can I ask what you are basing these ratings on? What has Romo done to put himself even inb the top 10? Why should he be above some like Palmer? Who by the way would smoke *** behind that OL in Dallas. Same as Hasselfag of anyone else.

rocyaice
12-05-2008, 02:59 PM
McNabb has played in 4 straight NFC title games, and a SB. He is the reason that team got there. Yeah, he gave up in the SB IMO, but he is still a winner, and has been winnng since he came into the league. I like Hasselfag, and I think if you put him on a better team, say Giants, he would have better numbers then Eli. If you stuck Romo behind the Steelers OL, he would have been out in week 2 or 3. He broke a nail, and had to sit 3 games. Cutler has just has many playoff wins as Romo, and to me looks better tossing that rock. I hate Denver, and it kills me to say this but Cutler could end up being the best QB within 4 years. Farve's body of work speaks for itself, and Leftwich's toughness and heart to me is a far bigger attribute then anything Romo brings to the table. Besides the fact he has a hose for an arm, and is pretty dang accurate. Same thing with Palmer who I forgot about. And there is no maybe with Ben. He is better then Romo. Romo has done nothing in this league, and has no playoff wins to hang a hat on. What is Romo best known for on the football field? I say its a fumbled snap to help his team win a playoff game. Now ask that same question about Ben......

That's my point about Cutler though. He hasn't done anything in this league just like Romo yet you'd take him over Romo just because he can throw the ball far lol? And no football fan with any common sense would take Romo over Leftwich. I know this is a Steelers site and i'm being respectable as I can but that's just going too far lol. Especially when David Garrard beat him out of his starting job which is nothing against Garrard because he was damn good last season but Leftwich isn't a starter in this league and teams don't gameplan against him.

As far as Romo vs. Ben I think Romo is the better quarterback. I was being generous about maybe because I didn't want to start anything on this site. But fact is, you can go either way IMO. Its atleast debatable. Even with Cutler and Carson Palmer. But to say Rodgers is better than him? Leftwich? That's going too far. Your points are going all over the place. You say you wouldn't take Romo over any of those qb's because he hasn't done anything. Yet Leftwich, Cutler, Palmer and Rodgers haven't either. Than you say he chokes but Cutler and Rodgers have more INT's than Romo does in the 4th quarter this season.

I think in this league there are 3 tiers of qb's in this league. You have the Brady and Mannings in the 1st tier and you have the Ben R's and even Romo in the 2nd tier.

Can I ask what you are basing these ratings on? What has Romo done to put himself even inb the top 10? Why should he be above some like Palmer? Who by the way would smoke *** behind that OL in Dallas. Same as Hasselfag of anyone else.

What has he done? He's a great player. On the outside looking in you see the Romo fumble which means he hasn't played well in the post season but you have to actually watch the games and if you do you'd realize Romo hasn't been the problem. The fumbled snap was his fault. He shouldn't have been even holding the snap but Bledsoe's ego wouldn't let him hold the snap. But that's a completely different story. We know Ben R won a Super Bowl his rookie year. But that's such a rare feat that it shouldn't be expected by every young qb. The thing about Romo is that he played well too soon. He was a undrafted guy who came in winning games and putting up 300 yard 3 td games so we all forgot how young of a guy he really was. This is just his 2nd full season as a starter in this league.

As far as Hasselbeck goes, he's played with arguably two of the greatest linemen in history. So he had the best of a offensive line. Hutchinson leaves and you see the decline of Hasselbeck and Shaun Alexander. I don't think its any coincidence.

Dean Denton
12-05-2008, 04:04 PM
OK look. Cutler has done just has much in this league as Romo. I didn't say I liked Cutler because he throws deep. He throws better. He looks more comfortable in the pocket or on the run. He goes through his progression at a faster rate then Romo, and within 3 or 4 years will be light years ahead of Romo. he reads a Def better, feels pocket pressure better, and when you look at the upside I think he will be much better in big games.

Not sure how you put Romo in a 2nd tier with Ben. Ben is top 3 in the league and sits atop the heap, and Romo....Sorry, again wins in the post season are what will put him into elite status, and until then only Cowboy fans will call him such a QB. Leading your team is what it will take, and he needs to do that.

And Lefty is only a Steeler this year. He will not be sitting on the bench here next season. He was hurt the last two years in Jax, and I think the coach might regret getting rid of him. Garrard, I dont really care for, and also is someone that has not done anything to show greatness. However, he does have something Romo doesn't, and thats a win in the playoffs.

As far as Hasselfag goes. What QB in this league in the history of the NFL has won anything without a good OL? THere is not one. I think he is better then Romo. But thats only because Romo has yet to do anything to make me think other wise. I have seen him play plenty, and he doesn't make me go, WOW!!! Cutler does. Palmer too. Eli looks more relaxed now as well. Romo just doesn't look the part of a serious QB to me. I dont have anything against the Cowboys, I really dont. They are NFC, and we only see them once every four years. I could care less what goes on over there. but when it comes to big game QB I put Romo right up there with Grossman because I think Romo will choke in the same fashion. Regular season is one thing, but playoffs is a different animal.

PS, One other thing, my wife is hotter than Jessica Simpson...Romo's gay...lol

steelerschick1220
12-05-2008, 11:24 PM
I would take ben over Romo anytime. IMO, Romo is the type of guy who once he makes a mistake in a game, will make several stupid ones and isn't able to recover. I think Ben does a good job of having that amnesia that so many commentators talk about. Like last sundays game. he put that pick behind him and went out and played pretty well for the rest of the game. I just don't think that Romo could do something like that.

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Well I think its safe to say Romo is what we all thought he was. Well, I guess I shouldn't speak for anyone else, so Romo showed he is what I thought he was, and has been since he came into this league. Some day teams will wake up and stop paying players on potential. Romo is not a big game QB, and was given way too much money. Thank you Dallas for the gift.....lol

LatrobePA
12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
I would take ben over Romo anytime. IMO, Romo is the type of guy who once he makes a mistake in a game, will make several stupid ones and isn't able to recover. I think Ben does a good job of having that amnesia that so many commentators talk about. Like last sundays game. he put that pick behind him and went out and played pretty well for the rest of the game. I just don't think that Romo could do something like that.

I agree, but Bens amnesia comes from getting his head slammed to the ground while taking a sack!(sorry I had to):greengrin:

JensK
12-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Romo passer rating: 44.9
Big Ben passer rating: 80.9

nuff said.

steelerschick1220
12-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I LOVE being right................

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Neither QB was stellar yesterday and didn't play to their normal level of solid productivity but clearly when it comes right down to it you most definitely want Ben over Romo when the game is on the line.

LatrobePA
12-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I LOVE being right................

Aren't all women? :cursin: lol

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Neither QB was stellar yesterday and didn't play to their normal level of solid productivity but clearly when it comes right down to it you most definitely want Ben over Romo when the game is on the line. I thought Ben made some big plays at the end of the game. And yes, Romo looked pretty good tossing that TD after getting away from the hand of death. They both had their moments, but most of their woe's was because they played a good DEF...In Romo's case, he played the best Def to ever walk onto a football field. This is a new age of chaos fellas, and the Steeler Def is leading the charge.......Thunder Cats Hooo!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Cowboys fans on Sirius were calling in like crazy day; most of them just so irritated with Romo and his lack of production when the game is on the line. Until he is able to pull out a win with the game on the line the magnitude of this one or in the post season there will continue to be questions about him.

Clearly Ben was the better QB when the chips were down and you just absolutely had to have a play to give yourself a chance to win. Like I said earlier neither one was spectacular today and both defenses made it hard on the offense but when it comes right down to it Ben was the better man and we're lucky to have him.

RW318
12-09-2008, 02:48 AM
Fans are stupid and irrational when their team wins or they lose. Romo has played in big games and performed damn good. Owens is a gift and a curse....Romo forces it to Owens far to much and a majority of his INTs come from that.

There was something with this game though...The passes were flying over everyones head...though we had Brad back there again. He was missing Wide Open WRs left and right.....I don't know wether it was the wind or the splint coming off....but it was something.

People act like he never played in a big game...the Seattle game he played well in besides one greased up ball. He also played decent in the Giants game....If Crayton wouldn't have quit on that route who knows...but he did and oh well. He's preformed well in "big" regular season games as well.

Koopa
12-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Fans are stupid and irrational when their team wins or they lose. Romo has played in big games and performed damn good. Owens is a gift and a curse....Romo forces it to Owens far to much and a majority of his INTs come from that.

There was something with this game though...The passes were flying over everyones head...though we had Brad back there again. He was missing Wide Open WRs left and right.....I don't know wether it was the wind or the splint coming off....but it was something.

People act like he never played in a big game...the Seattle game he played well in besides one greased up ball. He also played decent in the Giants game....If Crayton wouldn't have quit on that route who knows...but he did and oh well. He's preformed well in "big" regular season games as well.

i thought he played great yesterday, beautiful game winning td...........

Steelersfan
12-09-2008, 09:04 AM
i thought he played great yesterday, beautiful game winning td...........

I'd have to agree Koopa. When the game was on the line Romo was perfect.

steelerschick1220
12-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Aren't all women? :cursin: lol
Of course!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!