PDA

View Full Version : Early injury update for Dallas game

JensK
12-04-2008, 05:02 AM
Notebook: Roethlisberger leaves practice early
Thursday, December 4, 2008

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger missed part of practice on Wednesday after he slipped when going back to throw a pass and slightly injured his right knee.
Roethlisberger missed about 20 minutes of practice, but remained out on the field the entire time. He indicated after practice that he did not think that it was serious. Byron Leftwich took all of the snaps once Roethlisberger left practice.

In other injury news, running back Willie Parker (knee, shoulder), safety Troy Polamalu (calf), defensive ends Brett Keisel (knee), Aaron Smith (knee) and Travis Kirschke (back) and tackle Marvel Smith (back) did not practice.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden said he is ready to return to action this Sunday after missing the last six games with a broken forearm.

“I have been rehabbing it and working as best as possible,” said McFadden. “I feel like I am healed and ready to go.”

McFadden thought he might be back for the Patriots game, but was advised to give it one more week by doctors.

“I took their advice,” said McFadden. “That week is over with now. It’s time to get ready for the Cowboys.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/100581/

Seriously, Aaron smith not practising is what scare me the most here. Our run-stop just totally fall apart if he is not ready to go :(

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2008, 08:59 AM
At this time of the year when veterans miss a practice it's usually not that big of a deal especially guys like Smith who can go a whole week without practice and still be productive on game day. We haven't heard anything on the A. Smith front as far as injury goes so hopefully it's just precaution. Willie Im sure will be in and out of practice the rest of the year since his knee has been bothersome since pretty much the end of Sept.

Troyisabeast_43
12-04-2008, 08:02 PM
http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/writers_block.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a6f720d98-095f-4c2b-9bbb-88639ea813cbPost%3abc973e4b-b0e2-414c-8933-34c7cfee3a93&sid=sitelife.truebluefanclub.com

If Barber is unable to go and this Choice guy is the lone running back it will completely make the Cowboys and Romo one-dimensional and force them probably to throw 75 percent of the time in 20 degree weather and wind. If Barber doesnot play in this game I think it's a huge huge deal and it really increases the Steelers chances of winning this game even more then it already is...

Dean Denton
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
He wouldn't help them anyways. He would get swarmed like everyone else. He's no Kevin Faulk....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I heard on Sirius today that Ware will be ready to go but Barber did miss practice again so yeah his status is up in the air. Choice can make some plays though too and in the past we've made it a habit of letting average, no names, have the game of their lives against us. This D though we have now, I'll stack them up against anyone in the league.

Im anxious to see how McFadden does in his first action in over a month; it's going to be big for us to get him back.

As far as I've heard Parker is good to go as well and really the only main guy we have left on the injury list is Keisel who should hopefully be back in another week or so.

steelerbackr4life
12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
The D and the sloppy turf will make it hard for whoever gets the ball.

Steel Trap86
12-04-2008, 11:01 PM
I think Barber wouldnt be that much of a threat to this Steelers defense if he played. He is a hard runner and one of the best in the league, but they would shut him down just like they did to Brandon Jacobs. The only real threats I see are TO, Williams & Witten. This Defense is one of the best I've seen, I just hope Ben can come through this sunday and put some points on the board early.

steelerbackr4life
12-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Witten could be the silent one coming in to this game that could do some damage. He definitely can take a hit over the midle.

DIESELMAN
12-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Aaron Smith practiced Thursday.....

As expected, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to practice Thursday. He missed the final portion of Wednesday’s practice after slipping in a muddy patch and twisting his right leg.

Polamalu, Brett Keisel and Marvel Smith were the only Steelers to miss Thursday’s practice.

Missing practice for the Dallas Cowboys were WR Miles Austin (knee), RB Marion Barber (toe) and CB Mike Jenkins (hamstring).

Austin has been ruled out of Sunday’s game at Heinz Field and Jenkins is doubtful. The Cowboys don’t expect Barber to practice this week with his dislocated right pinkie toe, but hope he can play. OLB DeMarcus Ware was limited Thursday with a knee injury, but expects to play Sunday.

Ware will be playing with a brace on his knee, if Barber plays, he'll have something for that ****ed toe of his.. :greengrin: Its all good, cuz we got something for the entire Cowboys team.....

DIESELMAN
12-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Cowboys RB Marion Barber (toe) did not practice Wednesday or Thursday. He’s not someone to be banking on this weekend. We’ve been told it’s a game time call and rookie RB Tashard Choice could very well get the start against Pittsburgh. Coach Phillips even used the word “doubtful” today.

JensK
12-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I have no idea how much Yahoo can be trusted: anyways

• QB Ben Roethlisberger, who stopped practicing with 20 minutes left in the period on Wednesday when he slipped on mud and slightly hurt his right knee, returned to practice Thursday.

• SS Troy Polamalu missed his second straight practice with a calf injury and his status is unknown. The injury went unnoticed because Polamalu played the entire game in New England and was not mentioned by coach Mike Tomlin as being hurt.

• DE Aaron Smith, who missed Wednesday’s practice with a sore knee, practiced Thursday and will start. The defense already is missing starting DE Brett Keisel, out with a knee injury for the third straight game.

DALLAS

WR Miles Austin is out at least another game with a sprained knee.

• RB Marion Barber missed practice Wednesday with a dislocated small toe. He is not expected to practice until Friday, if at all. He will be a game-time decision Sunday.

• LB DeMarcus Ware didn’t practice on Wednesday because of a hyper-extended knee. He will not practice until Friday, if at all. He will be a game-time decision, although Ware guaranteed that he will play on Sunday.

• CB Mike Jenkins is out at least another week with a strained hamstring.

I also saw this: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d09b03 I don't think Barber will play. Ware will most likely play, but no way he'll be close to 100 % on that field.

edit: Some more stuff from post-gazette

Roethlisberger bounces back

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who left Wednesday's practice early after appearing to twist his knee, went through a full practice yesterday without any difficulty.

"Ben is fine," coach Mike Tomlin said. "He was a full participant today."

Safety Troy Polamalu (calf) did not practice for the second day in a row but is expected to work today and play against the Dallas Cowboys.

McFadden or Gray?

Tomlin would not say if Bryant McFadden, who will return after missing six games with a broken right forearm, will replace William Gay as the starter at left cornerback.

"Hopefully we can play both of those guys," Tomlin said. "You've got to acknowledge that it's been six weeks since Bryant has played football. But he has been practicing. We will continue to work that and see how it develops as the week goes on.

"Both guys have shown they are capable of playing and playing at a high level. That's a good problem to have. We will weigh those options a little later in the week."

( http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08340/932931-66.stm )

rocyaice
12-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd be very shocked if Barber doesn't play. Especially with only 1 running back on the roster. They're not going in with just Tashard Choice and be a injury away from not having any running back out there.

JensK
12-05-2008, 03:04 PM
I'd be very shocked if Barber doesn't play. Especially with only 1 running back on the roster. They're not going in with just Tashard Choice and be a injury away from not having any running back out there.

Id call it pretty stupid to play him.. If he got worse he could be done for the season, and then you'd be screwed.. Big time. Oh well, i don't really care. They can do w/e they want. I don't think Dallas will be able to run against Steelers anyways :)

rocyaice
12-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Id call it pretty stupid to play him.. If he got worse he could be done for the season, and then you'd be screwed.. Big time. Oh well, i don't really care. They can do w/e they want. I don't think Dallas will be able to run against Steelers anyways :)

Well if its that serious I wouldn't play him either but to depend on a rookie running back? With no backup? And I like Choice. He was a steal for us but he gets hurt than.....damn we'll really be one dimensional. There would literally be no running threat. Unless they use our fullback which may just happen.

Dean Denton
12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Well if its that serious I wouldn't play him either but to depend on a rookie running back? With no backup? And I like Choice. He was a steal for us but he gets hurt than.....damn we'll really be one dimensional. There would literally be no running threat. Unless they use our fullback which may just happen.Every body is one dimensional against the Steelers. No one runs on them anyways. I think they have given up 2 100yd rushers in the last 70 games. Thats scary!!!!! Thank god for you that Romo is pulling the trigger. He is just the guy to go into Pittsburgh, and put the ball into the air 40 or 50 times and beat them....lol Just kidding man.

rocyaice
12-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Every body is one dimensional against the Steelers. No one runs on them anyways. I think they have given up 2 100yd rushers in the last 70 games. Thats scary!!!!! Thank god for you that Romo is pulling the trigger. He is just the guy to go into Pittsburgh, and put the ball into the air 40 or 50 times and beat them....lol Just kidding man.

LOL. Well I atleast like to make the Steelers atleast try to stop the run. We won't even be running the ball at all lol. No play action or anything lol.

Jensk, I think you're right. Cowboys just called Coleman up. Looks like Barber really may not play.

Dean Denton
12-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Thats fine, We dont have much other a run game this year anyways. Not like we are use to as fans. So it will be even on that front. You guys have us in the deep ball attack though. Should be a hell of a game. Good luck Fun Boy...6 degrees....yikes...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Barber missed practice again today for the 4th straight day; he's a game time decision. Dallas did activate some PS player at RB just in case. If Barber doesn't go it's going to be Choice as the main man.

rocyaice
12-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Cowboys receiver Roy Williams has been added to the team's injury report. Williams is probable for the game on Sunday with a right foot injury. He did not practice on Friday.

On Thursday during practice, Williams was having trouble with his foot and sat out briefly to change his set of cleats. The foot was slightly injured in the game against Seattle but had not kept him out of practice until Friday.

- Rick Herrin

Could be huge for the Cowboys. With the weather I expected Roy and Witten to be main targets. You never know with TO and his hands in terrible weather.

ejsteeler
12-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I just hope, and I believe they will, our boys come with their game faces on. We cannot take this team for granted. Offense has to get us ahead. The D will do it's job. :yellowthumb: :cope:

DBR96A
12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I want Marion Barber to play on Sunday. That way if we win, then we won't have to put up wit Cowboy fans giving us the Patriot fan treatment four years ago: "U GUISE ONLEY ONE CUZ WE DINT HALF MARINO BARBARA WE WOULD OF ONE IF WE HAD HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11"