PDA

View Full Version : Why cant we score in the Red Zone?

Dean Denton
12-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Is it me, or do we look flat in the Red Zone. New England isn't all that good, and we kept coming away with field goals. We had this issue last year with them too.

Also, why did we become so conservative mid-way through the third Q? We had control of the game, and I understand that a turnover puts them back in it, but I thought we let up on the gas a bit, and they still could have jumped back in it. We have had this issue before, and I dont get it.

AZ_Steeler
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't think they are that bad in the Red Zone... they score 95% of the time

Trips|TDs|FGs|Score Pct|TD Pct
37|23|12|.946|.622

Which happens to be 6th in the league for TD percentage.

For overall scoring percentage they are 2nd to Tennessee who has a percentage of .947

Dean Denton
12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Well, didn't it seem like our play calling was off or something was missing because I thought we should have had a couple TD's there. Dallas is better then the Pats, and I think everyone from here on out is too. We needto do better to win...IMO

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Generally we are very efficient in terms of atleast scoring points in the red zone, I can't complain there. However we have been settling for FG's too often; 3 points is good but against the good teams you need to score TD's and get a lead so Lebeau can unleash that pressure and the pass rushers can just pin their ears back and come after you.

It's an area we definitely need to improve in and for God sakes why aren't we using the TE's more in the red zone. Wait, I know the answer.. Bruce "mr predictable run on first down never use the TE's enough and get conservative in the red zone" Arians.

Dean Denton
12-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Generally we are very efficient in terms of atleast scoring points in the red zone, I can't complain there. However we have been settling for FG's too often; 3 points is good but against the good teams you need to score TD's and get a lead so Lebeau can unleash that pressure and the pass rushers can just pin their ears back and come after you.

It's an area we definitely need to improve in and for God sakes why aren't we using the TE's more in the red zone. Wait, I know the answer.. Bruce "mr predictable run on first down never use the TE's enough and get conservative in the red zone" Arians.

Ok good I'm not as restared as I thought upon waking this morning. Yes 3 is good, but 7 is better, and we need better...

yinzer
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM

you took the words right out of my mouth. :plus1:

Troyisabeast_43
12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, didn't it seem like our play calling was off or something was missing because I thought we should have had a couple TD's there. Dallas is better then the Pats, and I think everyone from here on out is too. We needto do better to win...IMO

I agree this has been a big area this season where Ben and this offense continues to falter and just cannot put TD's on the board on a consistent basis. They move the ball great in between the 20's to get down there, but once they do get inside the 20 it's like they just completely shut down and dont know how to finish off drives. This MUST change come playoff time if the Steelers expect to advance far and eventually make it to the Super Bowl. That is what is so frustrating about this Steelers team still. With the way the defense has been lights out all season long this Steelers team is so damn close to being a completely dominating team if this offense could find itself and start scoring points and playing consistent on a regular basis. Hopefully yesterday was a good start in New England and they can build off of that and continue to put the ball in the end zone here more then kick FG's these last 4 games of the season...

BlitzburghRockCity
12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Considering how bad the offense was earlier in the year and the fact that they are atleast moving the chains now, putting drives together,and not turning it over we can be happy about that but yes the red zone stuff has got to get fixed and Im sure Tomlin is addressing it. Teams like the titans and cowboys can score a lot of points if they need to and we've proven we can as well but we need to be more consistent at it.

Settling for 3 after you just put together a 5 minute drive is just bad news when you do it over and over and over. Perhaps over time now since the rest of the offense is coming together this will too but they better get a move on.

Stlrs4Life
12-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I believe Denton meant, what is our problem with scoring FG's instead of getting TDs. Half the time we shoot ourselves in the foot. But I believe we do alright in the Red Zone.

HUNT4SEVEN
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Play calling:yesnod:But i will say i was happy Ben didn't force anything:yesnod:an get an Turn over, i prefer 7 but 3 ain't all that bad especially when the other team doesn't score:lol::tt02:

LatrobePA
12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
How come I have a feeling we as an O have been holding back??? Meaning not showing too much film study material...Could it be the OC has plans that are under wrap until late in the season??????

ejsteeler
12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
:yesnod:Ben's getting crisper each week. You can tell the shoulder is still a little sore though, he still can't get zip on the long balls. The playcalling is a major reason we have not scored TD's, but dropped balls is up there too. The TE's definitely need to be involved down There. Chip block on each side and drift into the endzone..TD!!!! Almost every time.

steelerschick1220
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I would rather have thre points then a turnover. Oline seems to be coming together, so maybe the rest of the o is as well.

Dean Denton
12-02-2008, 02:09 PM
I hope the Oline is coming together because we face a really good pass rush this weekend, and Dallas is in a must win. Ware is going after Ben in a big way, and we need to slow his *** down.

ToothAche
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Is it me, or do we look flat in the Red Zone. New England isn't all that good, and we kept coming away with field goals. We had this issue last year with them too.

Also, why did we become so conservative mid-way through the third Q? We had control of the game, and I understand that a turnover puts them back in it, but I thought we let up on the gas a bit, and they still could have jumped back in it. We have had this issue before, and I dont get it.

NO FLIPPIN' SH*T!!!!

Dean Denton
12-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Ok I watched the game again onTuesday, and now I feel stronger than before about this. It wasn't just Red Zone, it was goal line...TWICE man. we failed to punch it in, and there should be no reason for that against the weak and frail geriatric Def of New England.

champnation
12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah were not that bad in the red-zone. I think we need to use our TE's as much as we can down there and the one thing we are missing that use long-time Steelers fan's are used to is a big strong running back to bust it in once were close.

Dean Denton
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah were not that bad in the red-zone. I think we need to use our TE's as much as we can down there and the one thing we are missing that use long-time Steelers fan's are used to is a big strong running back to bust it in once were close. Is this going to be Mendenhal or do we need to search somewhere else for that type of RB? We already know he cant run through Ray, so I'm not sold on him being a tough goal line back. I know its only one hit, and it could happen to anyone, but it happened to him. Where do we go from here?

JensK
12-05-2008, 01:43 PM
This is all play-calling, and nothing else. We march down the field throwing the ball and running good routes, then we get inside the 5y line and you'll have Russell run 3 times on the inside, where there is no gd room. The one time where they made Russell run outside guees what happened.. TD! Also, we had SO much success with throwing the ball in RZ last year. I don't get it why we don't try at least on one of the plays, run on one of the plays, and try a play-fake or something on the third. 3x runs is just too stupid, because everyone'll know whats comming!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Well I do know one thing, we better score in the redzone. The Cowboys are just as capable of putting up points as anyone in the league so we have to take advantage of every chance we get. The weather will play a factor in that though.

Maybe this is the week that Arians breaks out the TE in the redzone? Well ok, wishful thinking...nevermind.

greennick
12-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Against the Pats it looked like Arians forgot he didn't have the Bus to get it over the line.

What is the solution? More passing? Running outside? The odd play fake?

Probably all of the above.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-07-2008, 03:38 PM
The answer is to stop being so predictable in the redzone. Forget this "we have to line up and pound it in crap" or "lets impose our will on them and run it", it's all a bunch of BS. 6 points is 6 points regardless of how you get them. Do some bootlegs, Tackle eligible, fade to Heath or Matt in the back of the end zone, anything but what we've done so far which is settle for FG's all the time.

champnation
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I think we need a power back. I don't think mendenhall really fits in the picture anymore now that moore is playing well or maybe its Willie Parker that doesn't fit into the picture. I think the red-zone solution really more relies on Ben being able to sell the play-action at the goalline so it will freeze the linebackers every time there is a handoff. And as I post this we just got stopped on a 4th down we went for at the goal line.

Stairwayto7
12-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Why cant we score on the goal line?

Bruce Arians! Why wouldn`t we at least try and sell the play? Why not have at least one receiver in so the defense has to respect the pass? Everyone knew we were running!

--- Added 12/7/2008 at 07:12 PM ---

Against the Pats it looked like Arians forgot he didn't have the Bus to get it over the line.

What is the solution? More passing? Running outside? The odd play fake?

Probably all of the above.

All good choices!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
12-07-2008, 08:16 PM
The answer is to stop being so predictable in the redzone. Forget this "we have to line up and pound it in crap" or "lets impose our will on them and run it", it's all a bunch of BS. 6 points is 6 points regardless of how you get them. Do some bootlegs, Tackle eligible, fade to Heath or Matt in the back of the end zone, anything but what we've done so far which is settle for FG's all the time.

yea no crap...that is getting so old..everyone knows what was coming, this guy has to go this year.So what is that now on 4th downs?...2-11?? I thought that was a horrible call to go for it on 4th down anyhow,yet alone the playcall.I guess it's not Steeler football unless your on the edge of your seat shittin yourself and screaming at the TV.I think i scared the nieghbors when Deshea got that pick six.

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I thought it was stupid not to kick the FG on 4th down, but the way our Def had been playing I understand what Tomlin was thinking. We had them pinned deep, and could have scored with the Def. The Def did their job, and Holmes set up a beautiful punt return. The gamble worked. I know it was tough to watch, but it was like a prize fight, and we were slowly breaking them down. Then finally we scored the KO. Man, that was a thing a beauty.....

AZ_Steeler
12-08-2008, 12:25 PM
I thought that was dumb too not to take the 3, but at the same time being that they were on the 1 taking 3 points when that close would have felt like a defeat. I personally think Ben would have had a better shot taking that ball left of center because there was a huge hole!

Good thing they won so now we don't have to second guess why they didn't take the 3 points :D

Dean Denton
12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
The only thing I really liked about what Tomlin did, is that if it were Cowher, he would have taken the 3. I think Tomlin is trying to set himself apart. Maybe show that he has faith in the strength of his team, (That being the Def of course) and that he is not afraid to take chances. Now....Had he gone for 2 after that TD, I think there would have been beatings coming his way....lol